Poll: What's the best cavalry unit in your opinion?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the Best cavalry?

Default What's the Best cavalry?

I love cavalry armies, and I usually use the ligh cavalry for defence, and heavy cav. for attack :)
    I think that the Lancers are the best cavalry unit, wat about u? :)

Default Re: What's the Best cavalry?

I would say the Kataphraktoi is best. I still remember my first battle vs. the byz in early era (My catholic army got crushed!). I love being the byz because of them, so they get my vote.

MTW XL version 3.0 out now! Get it here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=31201

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

I would say say Kataphraktoi. Very powerful.
    "Look Iíve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said weíd provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well itís great to be able to say weíre better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what Iím remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what Iím thinking Iím remembering itís all a bit wonky isnít it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Teutonic Sergeants or Knights. Fast and powerful.

Boyars! If playing as the Russians or Novgorods (I think) you get them as Royal units. So they come with all those nice virtues such as Pride or Killer Instinct or Famously Brave etc. etc. Plus they are like heavy Cavalry, with bows, plus they have swords and not lances/spears, meaning they are better in a prolonged combat. And also situationally they are great too, cos you always have some great bridge battles against the Mongols with them.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Lancers, then Boyars.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Armenian Heavy Cavalry.

Fort + Master Horse Breeder = damned fine cavalry.

Saracen Infantry, Armenian Heavy Cavalry and Turcomen Foot Soldiers makes a damned "hammer 'n' anvil" army.
    "Fear is the enemy of logic. There is no more debilitating, crushing, self-defeating, sickening thing in the world--to an individual or to a nation."
    --Frank Sinatra

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Lancers beat all other cav, straight up, except Gothics. Gothics are slow. Kats are good but at V0 have poor morale, and are slow.

Two of my favs are on the list, Szekely are great cav archers, fast and can fight. Pronoai Allagion are very similar to Feudals and are a great addition to the Byz arsenal.

Alans are another great cav, very useful under a lot of conditions.

and Camels, which are oft maligned, can really hurt any cav if used properly.

That said, there is no 'best' cav, each has advatages (some more than others) but also disadvantages. Gothics in the desert, for example. It's all about using the cav you have correctly.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Armenian Heavy Cavalry. For one they are Turkish so I use them a lot. Second they are available relatively early in the game when compared to Chivalric Knights, Lancers and Gothic Knights. They are also a reliable heavy cavalry unit and once the Christians get their best Heavy Cavalry I can always rely on my Janissary Heavies to break them up if my Armenian Cav can't take them.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

I agree with Ichi's comment that their is no "best" cavalry per se. They really all do have their strengths and weaknesses, and all (or at least most) are fun to play around with.

That said, my *favorite* heavy cav would have to be the Katanks and Khwarazmians--if only because the Egyptians and Byzantines are two of my favorite factions. That, and they roll over just about everything (although Kats usually need a couple upgrades to keep them relevant in the later game).

To BAD: You know, I just realized I don't think I've ever played as Novgorod/Russians before. You talking about the Boyars is making me think that perhaps I need to remedy that very soon.....
    Last edited by Martok; 07-30-2005 at 05:16.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Kataphraktoi but actually, the Klibanophoroi.

They were waaaaaay more powerful than the Kataphraktoi. You can find them included in BKB's Super Mod.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think this poll should be renamed "What is the best heavy cavalry?", since you have only listed those. Anyway, I agree with Ichi when he says that there is no such thing as a best cavalry: it all depends on the circumstances and how they are used. That's why I picked boyars: they can play more than one role. Other favourites of mine are steppe heavy cavalry (not as good as boyars, but available to all factions), Jinettes (readily available, good light cavalry with javelins) and Szekely (fast horse archers with quite good melee-stats), though I am not very good with the latter.
    Last edited by Ludens; 07-30-2005 at 14:34.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    To BAD: You know, I just realized I don't think I've ever played as Novgorod/Russians before. You talking about the Boyars is making me think that perhaps I need to remedy that very soon.....
    You won't be dissapointed. It's a great Campaign with them. Even after the Horde emerges and you've dealt with them.

But yeah as edyz said, Klibanophoroi own. Basically Steppe Heavies with a bit better defence and armour, oh yeah and an Armour Piercing melee attack too. They are in the XL mod too.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD
    You won't be dissapointed. It's a great Campaign with them. Even after the Horde emerges and you've dealt with them.

But yeah as edyz said, Klibanophoroi own. Basically Steppe Heavies with a bit better defence and armour, oh yeah and an Armour Piercing melee attack too. They are in the XL mod too.
    yea but u only get 20 Klibanaphoroi per unit

Gettin' Medieval Member King Bob VI's Avatar

Actually High/Late Royal Knights kick the most a** per capita, so to speak, but they aren't an option.

At equal valor, lancers beat gothics. But goths can start with valour 2 on the campaign map, and lancers can start with a max of 1. Lancers are faster, a big advantage. They can even hunt down some of the archer cav, but have difficulty doing so. Never mind the mounted crossbows *ouch*.
    in montem soli non loquitur

(\_/) (>.<) That's what happens with bunnies
    (x.X)(_)(_) who want to achieve world domination!

becoming is for people who do not will to be

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PittBull260
    I can make them a 200 men unit if I want

I love MTW Modding.....
    Last edited by edyzmedieval; 07-30-2005 at 18:11.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country.

In XL mod they are 40 men units. Like the other vanilla cavalry archers. =P

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I love Byzantine Cavalry, with one valour point, they can beat a unit of tired Feudal Knights.

My favorite cavalry of all time is the Jinette though. They're just so useful! Also on the list are Byz Cav, Kats, Boyars, Gothics, and Lancers.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

In XL mod they are 40 men units. Like the other vanilla cavalry archers. =P
    well that's not fair....i think they should be 20, making them 40 is unfair to other cavalry

Quote Originally Posted by sunsmountain
    At equal valor, lancers beat gothics. But goths can start with valour 2 on the campaign map, and lancers can start with a max of 1. Lancers are faster, a big advantage. They can even hunt down some of the archer cav, but have difficulty doing so. Never mind the mounted crossbows *ouch*.
    not really, I actually experimented this, the Gothic Kninghts were the only cavalry unit that can beat Lancers one on one with same valour (and Beduin Camels in a desert)

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky
    I love Byzantine Cavalry, with one valour point, they can beat a unit of tired Feudal Knights.

My favorite cavalry of all time is the Jinette though. They're just so useful! Also on the list are Byz Cav, Kats, Boyars, Gothics, and Lancers.

Here here; Jinettes rule! The Byz Cavalry are nice too, although I'm generally not fond of most horse archer units. Their good melee stats makes them a wonderfully versatile unit, however.

I also like Bedouin camel warriors; they're a cheap but effective light cav, and they're great at smacking down Christian knights in the desert.

[EDIT] As an aside, can anyone tell me the difference between Pronoiai Allagion and Byzantine Lancers, and what the advantages/disadvantages there are between them (aside from cost)? I've never really been sure as to which unit gives me the better "bang for my buck".
    Last edited by Martok; 07-30-2005 at 20:31.

well that's not fair....i think they should be 20, making them 40 is unfair to other cavalry
    Fair? In War? =/

@Martok

Byzantine Lancers
    Cost 250 Support 14 Charge 6 Melee 3 Defence 2 Armour 3 Morale 4
    Build Requirements - Lvl 2 Horse Breeder and Lvl 2 Spearmaker

Pronoiai Allagion
    Cost 425 Support 25 Charge 6 Melee 4 Defence 3 Armour 5 Morale 8
    Build Requirements - Lvl 3 Horse Breeder and Lvl 3 Spearmaker

But also you have to calculate in the fact that you can get the Pronoiai Allagion at Valour One from a province (can't remember which). I'm not sure whether you can for Byzantine Lancers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mujalumbo
    Armenian Heavy Cavalry.

Fort + Master Horse Breeder = damned fine cavalry.

Saracen Infantry, Armenian Heavy Cavalry and Turcomen Foot Soldiers makes a damned "hammer 'n' anvil" army.
    Agree with you regarding the AHC, especially when built in Armenia from a Master Horse Breeder, buy why would you specify Turcoman Foot when you can build Futuwwas as the Turks? Futuwwas have the same missle power, much better melee offense and morale - they're even pretty good as melee flankers. Turco's only benefits are defensive, and their morale sucks so bad (-1) that they never stay around to use it!
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

not really, I actually experimented this, the Gothic Kninghts were the only cavalry unit that can beat Lancers one on one with same valour (and Beduin Camels in a desert)
    You're right, the difference between Lancers and Goths are the charge and the AP bonus. Lancers get a good charge, but the Goths win due to their AP bonus (they carry maces for head-bonking).

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Gothics are very powerful.

If you dismount Gothic Knights, man per man, they are will beat JHI with heavy casualties.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Byzantine Lancers
    Cost 250 Support 14 Charge 6 Melee 3 Defence 2 Armour 3 Morale 4
    Build Requirements - Lvl 2 Horse Breeder and Lvl 2 Spearmaker

Pronoiai Allagion
    Cost 425 Support 25 Charge 6 Melee 4 Defence 3 Armour 5 Morale 8
    Build Requirements - Lvl 3 Horse Breeder and Lvl 3 Spearmaker

But also you have to calculate in the fact that you can get the Pronoiai Allagion at Valour One from a province (can't remember which). I'm not sure whether you can for Byzantine Lancers.

Thanks, BAD. Well it looks to me that PA, despite being more expensive, are probably a better investment than Byz Lancers (especially since you can train +1 PA in Nicea). The only real downside is that they have higher build requirements--which makes me think that perhaps Byz Lancers are there as sort of a temporary "stopgap" unit to fill in the void until PA become available.

Eeesh, I think Klibanophoroi may actually be TOO good, I played them with XL and they basically made the rest of my army redundant. They own heavy cavalry and infantry because of the armour piercing, they can chase down archers, and as long as they mob spearmen properly they can take them out too!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshwa
    Eeesh, I think Klibanophoroi may actually be TOO good, I played them with XL and they basically made the rest of my army redundant. They own heavy cavalry and infantry because of the armour piercing, they can chase down archers, and as long as they mob spearmen properly they can take them out too!
    yea tahts why they should be 20 men per unit

Where are my beloved Sipahis of the Porte?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast