Thread: Owned Nubia?

Default Owned Nubia?

I don't know too much about Nubia (other than that it existed) - South of Egypt I believe. Was it currently (at EB start date) ruled by Egypt? Were they having an effect on the area at all? I've heard they provided mercenaries to egypt (I think I might have seen them in one of the previews).

Egomaniac sexpert Member Dux Corvanus's Avatar

Default Re: Owned Nubia?

SOLVE LORA INFERNIS Member Shrapnel's Avatar

I belive that Kush (part of Nubia) first started the pyramid as a tomb and there are about 10 there and as large as the pyramids though not as much in good condition and probably not as magnificant as Eyptian pyramids when they had been built. But I do not now more than that apart from that they were a civilization before the Egyptians.
    Last edited by Shrapnel; 07-30-2005 at 16:55.

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux Corvanus

ugh, it makes me sick when i think about what this game could have been if they hadn't imposed such low unit/model/province/faction limits.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Danest
    I don't know too much about Nubia (other than that it existed) - South of Egypt I believe. Was it currently (at EB start date) ruled by Egypt? Were they having an effect on the area at all? I've heard they provided mercenaries to egypt (I think I might have seen them in one of the previews).
    I was doing a little work on that yesterday. The Nubians as the Hellenistic world knew them were the men from the Nuba/Nouba hills westsouthwest of Meroe. This is the modern region of the Sudan known as Kordofan, which appears to be a very ancient word itself in the Kordofanian language group. So I suggested the "capital" of our province of Nouba (we have already shown our map and the regions that the Ptolemaioi will control, so this will be no big surprise or secret here) be located in the middle of the Kordofan region (the Nouba hills) west of the Nile. Here is the behind-the-scenes shot :

The center of the Kordofan region is actually just south of our map's southern limit, but the northern part of it is in our map, so that's where I believe it should be. We don't know that Kordofan itself was a city, but it was a more specific region of "Noubia" and the one we know was the center of Noubian culture at this time. So it's the best shot we've got for the time being.

As for being ruled by Ptolemaioi at the start--definitely not. They were in the process of sending expeditions to Meroe at the game's start, but it's unlikely they would have controlled it at that point (certainly not all of it at the least), so Kush won't even be under Ptolemaic control at the start, much less Noubia itself.

Hope this helped a little and answered your question.

are Kush and Nubia the same? Is that Ethopia? If there were unlimited factions, would we see any south of Egypt in this time period (to either threaten , ally, or be attacked by Egypt I assume)? I'm finding it rather hard to learn about Roman-era Africa south of Egypt (you know, the stuff schools don't dare talk about): Something in africa to teach about other than Egypt? Gasp!