Thread: Byzantine flags

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Question Byzantine flags

A quite bizzarre question...

As I was searching for shields for the Byzantium Total War mod, I stumbled upon something interesting. The double headed eagle coat-of-arms of the Byzantines.

Anyone know about this and where can I find a photo of it?!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Default Re: Byzantine flags

This might help, Rome and Romania. What you want is towards the bottom, Chapter IV. FOURTH EMPIRE, LATE "ROMANIA/BYZANTIUM part C. THE LAST DAYS, 1261-1453, 192 years. The two headed eagle is called a Palaeologus after the founder of the Palaeologi dynasty, Michael VIII Palaeologus, who introduced it.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

link1

It survives to the day. In fact it was the flag of N.Epirus in it's 1914 independent years:

Long live the great sons of Achilles!!!

Member Member swirly_the_toilet_fish's Avatar

Doesn't it remain the national symbol (or flag) of Romania currently?
    "If I were a man I could do so much - travel the stars, learn to play the harp, conquer a foreign country and become a frustrated cartoonist."

No. It's used by Albania on it's flag but not Romania. The Romania I mentioned in my last post was what most people call Byzantium.
    Last edited by lars573; 07-31-2005 at 00:11.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

Ah, I must have missed that scanning all the posts. My apologies. I do know it the double-headed eagle symbolized the empire looking (growing) in two directions, the east and the west. It was only a hundred years after the fall of Rome that Byzantium reconquered(most) of the old empire.

Belisarius must have had the sandals of Mercury himself.
    "If I were a man I could do so much - travel the stars, learn to play the harp, conquer a foreign country and become a frustrated cartoonist."

The way I heard it described was that it looks to europa and asia as the emperor did from Contantinople.

It was only a hundred years after the fall of Rome that Byzantium reconquered(most) of the old empire.
    Sorry I have to correct this.

It was only a hundred years after the fall of western Rome that eastern Rome reconquered(most) of the old empire.
    Ah, that's better.

Thank you for the correction.

It was used by many european states that claim decent from and/or the imperial legacy of Romania. Like Russia and the Habsburg dynasty. Both which claimed the imperial legacy of Romania and the right to rule Constantinople. The ruling families (Habsburgs and Ruriks) had both married into the Palaeologi dynasty. For example Ivan the terribles grand-mother Zoe or Sophia was the daughter of Thomas Despot of Morea, younger brother of Constantine XI Dragases last Roman emperor. The Habsburgs besides having married into the Palseologi family also fancied themselfs the emperors of western Rome and thus had the right to rule the east.