Thread: PS3 and Xbox 360

Default PS3 and Xbox 360

Has everyone seen the releases of XBox 360 and Playstation 3?

I'll post a couple of links. The most amazing thing is the graphics card of the PS3. It is twice as powerful as the most powerful GPU in the world today! $1,000 in graphics power in one chip, in one system, for less than half the price.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6125429/

You have got to see the game previews! Killzone looks amazing!

Who do you think will win the next console war?
    Last edited by Divinus Arma; 07-31-2005 at 14:44.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Default Re: PS3 and Xbox 360

The PS3 and Xbox 360 look amazing but I'd have to say that I would like the PS3 to win the console war. Although the graphics on the 360 and PS3 will probably be very similar I always tend to find that the Sony Systems always seem to have a wider array of games.
    Sure Xbox has Halo and such like but I prefer the Playstation. That's just my opinion.

Apparently the PS3 is supposed to be better. If you look at the footage from both, the 360 looks weak in comparison. Of course, PS3 has a couple of less than satisfying shots as well. But overall, PS3 had more clips that you could go "ooooooooh" "ahhhhhhhhhh".
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Yeah, I went into the local video game store and they were showing clips of the new Fight Night boxing game on an instore plasma tv. I must admit it looked amazing.

But yeah I think the PS3 will be better however I think that the look of the 360 is very nice.

Ahem...Divinus Arma, there is no guarantee that Killzone is anything more than a tech demo. Sorry mate. Believe me, I would love to see a game look like that though.

Both the Xbox 360 and PS 3 have the capability to make great looking games. But then...FF X and X-2 look great...and I think those are the crappiest FF I've played. Great graphics don't make a great game (read: RTW along with FF X and FF X-2). I am more interested in how they can develop new types of games and use the prettyness to their own advantage.

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

The next-generation consoles look promising; yet I find it hard to get excited about them nowadays. The rate at which PCs are improving, the talented mod scene, and the numerous smaller developers make PC gaming in the next couple of years seem like a far more exciting prospect than similar consoles vying for supremacy over their market. Don't get me wrong, the upcoming consoles could certainly produce good game, but to me the fact that the PC is more open to smaller developers and many smaller developers (not to mention mod teams) are far more adventurous in making games means I can't see myself shelling out money for a console just yet.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

For those of us who can't afford to upgrade our computers every two years, consoles provide a (mostly) cheaper alternative with games that you don't need to "meet system requirements" to play. I will still wait for the 360 prices to go down a bit, though.
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Azi Tohak
    Ahem...Divinus Arma, there is no guarantee that Killzone is anything more than a tech demo. Sorry mate. Believe me, I would love to see a game look like that though.
    I hear ya. I have read the same thing before. On the hopeful side, once a machine is able to support this, there should be no reason that this wouldn't be a reality. It probably is a real-time rendered movie, rather than an in-game sequence. But we can hope!

Both the Xbox 360 and PS 3 have the capability to make great looking games. But then...FF X and X-2 look great...and I think those are the crappiest FF I've played. Great graphics don't make a great game (read: RTW along with FF X and FF X-2). I am more interested in how they can develop new types of games and use the prettyness to their own advantage.

Azi
    Good points, to be sure. It is the totality of experience that the game offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lehesu
    For those of us who can't afford to upgrade our computers every two years, consoles provide a (mostly) cheaper alternative with games that you don't need to "meet system requirements" to play. I will still wait for the 360 prices to go down a bit, though.
    Very good point. But there are some games you just can't play on a console. Like the TW series. There is no way even an Xbox would make the games fun. Too many games need mice and lots of short cuts.

Divinus Arma, actually the game I am looking forward to the most out of all the next-gen demos (tech, spec whatever) is Devil May Cry 4. Now THAT is my kind of action game. (And yes, I own DMC 1 and I will buy DMC 3 as soon as I see it cheap. DMC 2 does not count.)

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Divinus Arma, actually the game I am looking forward to the most out of all the next-gen demos (tech, spec whatever) is Devil May Cry 4. Now THAT is my kind of action game. (And yes, I own DMC 1 and I will buy DMC 3 as soon as I see it cheap. DMC 2 does not count.)

Azi
    I moved away from consoles after I became addicted to strategy. Granted, I have an original nintendo, a super NES, a Sega genesis, (had a dreamcast), and have a PS2 (threw outhe PS1 becasue of backward compatability). I have so many game I can't even count them all. They take up a damn wall. I was given the original Nintendo for my Seventh birthday. That was a little less than twenty years ago! And I've been addicted ever since.

But now I find myself a PC gamer. The console is just too bland. The games are far too mainstream and the strategy category is pretty much empty.

As for the ability to play strategy on console (what with hotkeys and such), I think you nailed it on the head: controlability. The console needs an advanced controller for the strategy genre. The current controller is only intuitive becasue we are used to it. It is the basic form taken from the little rectangle box of the Nintendo. In order to break the mold, we need out of the box thinking. And even then, it will be counterintuitive for those of us who have been using the current model for the last 20 years. It's kind of like driving in the States and then going to England (or vice versa). The first reaction is WTF?!

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lehesu
    I buy mostly budget games. I bought Civ3 for 6.5 € last year and last month I got VTM: Bloodlines for about 20 €. The average Xbox game costs 70 € (a new PC game usually costs between 40-50 € here). How much will a system cost at launch ? 500 € ?

PCs are also getting cheaper and cheaper, and they last longer too, I remember when a year old system would have been considered old, now 3 years shouldn't really be a problem. You can use PCs for various other things than games too, so ultimately, I think they're a better investment.

Plus i like strategy games and RPGs most, 2 genres that work well on the PC.

Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Gah! Heresy! What RPGs are there on the computer? Huh? KOTOR? VTM? Morrowind?

Ohh...nevermind...sorry about that. I play my Japanese-style RPGs so PS1&2 along with a couple of greats on the GC make me happy.

But you can safely say that the PS3 is going to cost your first born child. Is it worth it...I don't know. Do you want a big family?

I think the next gen systems will be fun...but...none of them thrill me. The revolution could be great...or a joke. I can play any game I want to right now, assuming I have the cash.

Azi
    Mark Twain 1881

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Ohh...nevermind...sorry about that. I play my Japanese-style RPGs so PS1&2 along with a couple of greats on the GC make me happy.
    I remember back in the playstation 1 days most of them didn't make it to Europe, combined with the trauma that terrible game FF8 caused, it made me lose my faith in consoles to play RPGs.

But seriously, which would you consider good RPGs on the current systems ? I was considering picking up a system now that they're cheap and a lot of games made it to the budget labels, but I found that none of the catalogues really thrilled me.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

that terrible game FF8 caused,

FF8 is the second best Console game and 3rd best RPG of all time. So sayeth me.
    Viva La Rasa!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    I remember back in the playstation 1 days most of them didn't make it to Europe, combined with the trauma that terrible game FF8 caused, it made me lose my faith in consoles to play RPGs.

But seriously, which would you consider good RPGs on the current systems ? I was considering picking up a system now that they're cheap and a lot of games made it to the budget labels, but I found that none of the catalogues really thrilled me.
    Well some of the good PC RPG's are on xbox, like Morrowind and KOTOR. And graphically they are indentical. I do consider the Baldur's gate dark alliance 1 and 2 to be great "RPG's". The quotes are there because they are in the style of diablo, action heavy but not as light on the RPG elements as Diablo is. 1 is good but it's 4 years old and in some ways looks it. 2 is much better you can upgrade your weapons and have prestiege classes that all 5 characters can get. Plus since it's Baldurs gate your playing as D'n'D races and classes (they are all 5 of them predefined like Human female cleric and male dwarf rouge) fighting D'n'D ememies. They are both for PS2 and xbox.

Another good console RPG that I can recomend is Lord of the Rings:the third age. It's gameplay is in the FF style, but that doesn't tell the whole story. The story line is linear you have a followship of 8 that follows the ring compant every where they go. The characters are Berethor a citadel guard of Gondor, an exile who ran after being poisoned with a morgul blade at Osgiliath and came under the influence of Saruman. Iridrial and elf maiden of Lothlorien who Gandalf has sent to help Berethor reid himself of his afflictions. Hadhod a dwarf of the misty mountains and Elegost a ranger of the north, fast friends how have come south searching for Hadahods sons and brother who went with Balin to Moria. Also there is Morwen a shiled maiden of Rohan who was from Gondor but her family was exiled for her fathers mistakes. Lastly there is Eaoden a rider of the mark. As I said the game uses an FF style combat system and you navigate middle earth in an FF style way. But the game looks fantastic, great graphics and visuals. Also at certain points you catch up with the followship. Then you get to fight with them. You fight with Gandalf against the Balrog on the bridge of Khazdum (that was tricky let me tell you). You fight with Legolas on the walls of helms deep, with Gimil on behind the deeping wall. And with Aragorn in the keep. You fight with Faramir against the orc attack on Osgiliath. Here is EA site on the game http://www.eagames.com/official/lord...ge/us/home.jsp
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: PS3 and Xbox 360

i will allways be a playstation boy

....the metal gear solid series alone is enough to assure that
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Has anybody seen what nintendo plans to put out?