Poll: Military status?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many military members here?

Default How many military members here?

Just curious how many fine military patriots we have poking around here.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Default Re: How many military members here?

I'd quite like to but it all depends on a whole heap of stuff so I doubt I ever will.

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

Dutch Air Force: Discharged
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy_is_a_Taff
    I'd quite like to but it all depends on a whole heap of stuff so I doubt I ever will.
    Let me tell ya, it is a lot of fun. I have done some amazing things. Some things I can be immensely proud of, and others... well not so much.

But in the long run, the rewards are too great to pass up. I won't be surprised if I head to Iraq in the next year. And you know what? I'm looking forward to it! Afghanistan was awesome! I'll post some photos if I ever get my scanner to work.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

You should have had a Gah! or non option so the non-military can respond and see how many are in the military...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Nah. I though about this. The reason is that they are simply not included. I'd like to know who is in, not who is not in. Or something like that.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Active Reserve, for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube
    Considering the Navy.
    I won't start an inter-service rivalry here, but might I ask what are your reasons for the Navy as a choice?

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

considering the U.S.M.C
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Been considering the Army for a long long time. The first university I wanted to attend was West Point. Meh. So I went to a State College. Now that I've got my degree (okay fine, so it is not yet official, but if I can't pass some little sophomore courses...I don't deserve a degree) I don't know what the Army would do with me.

Let me see... B.S. in Chemical Engineering... I know! Send him to drive a truck!

Actually, OCS is appealing, but I've never done any ROTC.

I can't see (so no pilots [and lets be honest, why in the Air Force if not to fly?]) and I don't like the idea of being a semen (he he he!... ahem...sorry, I could not resist). Actually, no Navy for me because I don't like the idea of being on a ship... for a long long time.

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

USMC 68-72 Oooooo Raaaaahhh

Discharged,
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny

Discharged,
    Did you like it because im seriously considering it and input would be nice
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Going through Bootcamp was the toughest thing I ever did in my life. I would do it again for a million dollars. Having said that I was never as proud as the day I graduated and my biggest mistake in life was getting out. The Marines are one hell of an organization.

I just couldnt take all the insults from other people my age when I was in the states. Spent three years trying to avoid West Pac and then found out over seas duty is the only way to go.
    Last edited by Gawain of Orkeny; 08-01-2005 at 04:50.

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Over 12 years United States Army (12 years because that is what my retirement points from the Guard and Reserves added up to)

2 years 13E National Guard
    3 years Reserves - Field Artillery
    10 Years Active Duty - Field Artillery
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

15 month in the Swedish Marines. After that 7 years in the reserves. After emigration from Sweden, retired (if that is the right word).

Finland has mandatory military service for all males. I spent 9.5 months in the service, trained as Military Police. Moved to reserves 1992.
    If you're fighting fair you've made a miscalculation.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

92-96 The Norwegian Royal Navy.
    Status Emeritus

The idea of gruntwork just doesn't really appeal that much. What i'd really like is a gig on a submarine.

It's all still totally hypothetical though. When I finish up my 2 years in community college, I'll do a short stint in the Navy and see if it's worth keeping on at.
    Just a little FYI, from my understanding of Sub duty, it is one of the most miserable and difficult assignments available. You have to go through a ton of underwater survival training, and then after you make it you can be cramped in a tiny tin can for 7-13 months at a time with no shore time.

If you really want to skate, go into the air force. I have been to navy bases, Marine bases, army bases, and Air Force bases. The Air Force have a life of ease and comnfort.

And what is your idea of gruntwork? Until you make non-com, you'll do the bitch work every day no matter what service you are in!

Quote Originally Posted by strike for the south

I have been in the Marines since 99. I am an active duty Sergeant.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!

I'll tell you a little inside secret about the Marine Corps that I don't care gets out. Once you are a part of this culture, you find something you will never find anywhere else. There are two aprts to the corps: the organization and the intangible.

The organization is the uniforms, the equipment, the rank, the training, the tactics, etc. These are always changing and will continue to change.

The intangible is the aspect of the Corps that you cannot touch, see, taste, or feel. It is that character and quality unique to Marines that each of us share with exuberant enthusiasm. It is this concept: The standards of excellence demand the pursuit of perfection. In everything that we do, the pursuit of perfection is always present. Perfection can never be attained, but we relentlessly pursue it with absolutely ruthless ferocity. And through this pursuit, each individual empowers his brother, inspiring and enabling each to achieve more and become more than ever could have been done alone. So as a group, we achieve the unattainable. We move ever closer to perfection. And each of us feels this within us. And sees it in our comrades. I know I can count on my Marines. They'll not flee before the enemy. If need be, they will die for me, and I for them, each of us. And as we stand before the fires of death, facing down the inevitable torturous pain with our personal stinking, dripping, burning heat of fear... we will press forward. Into that heat. Into the inevitable. Into the fire together. The world turns, your ears pierce with the noise of a thousand rifles, and the rush, the swelling moment of helpless confusion. Press forward. The deep bass booms in the distance. Closer. Together. Sweat soaks your dripping dragging clothes but you feel light and heavy all at once. The heat of the fear. Press forward.

Until the moment has gone. And the last crackle of small arms fire fades into the silence, when the sharp crisp reality eases back into your mind... you'll be incredibley alone. Until you feel your brothers with you. And then your heart will surge, your eyes will blur with tears, and joy and pride will overhwlem you.

So you want to join the Corps? Always remember that the more we sweat in peace, the less we will bleed in war. Marines endure like no other. The intangible of the corps is what drives Marines. It is what enabled John Basilone to stand up in the field of fire, and scream to his men "Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?!" Inspiring them to charge into the woods against a heavily fortified enemy position. It is why, as the army retreats, one young Officer said "Retreat Hell. We just got here". Tarawa. The frozen chosin. Iwo Jima. Belleau wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny

Discharged,
    Semper Fi my brother. 99-now.

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

I could tick three of those really.

Active duty - do training and consultancy now so still involves going to some pretty fucked up places. Still training and staying sharp.
    Reserves - on reserve in case of real emergency to go back into the shit
    Retired/discharged - ex-British Army for 5 years
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

vrijbuiter Senior Member Rob The Bastard's Avatar

Q762 694
    Ex RNZIR

Bring Back Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma
    And what is your idea of gruntwork? Until you make non-com, you'll do the bitch work every day no matter what service you are in!
    Listen to the man. The navy is not for mummy's boys and it is quite tough even for noncoms; believe me I was one.
    Status Emeritus

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Portuguese Territorial Reserve.

9 months of service were mandatory up to a couple of years ago, i didn´t catch any of that, now you just have to register to be put in the list incase anyone tries to invade(yeah right) were said list would be mobilized.

suits me...i wouldn´t consider integrating my country´s military forces in any other situation any way, if we´re about to be invaded call me....if not let me live my life thank you.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

I had my military service in the German Luftwaffe. Then reserve. When the cold war was won, I quit. Right after that the Warsaw Pact disbanded

I got no problem with it being rough.

By Gruntwork, I meant I don't see myself deckin' out in the Kevlar, and shootin' it up with some other fellow in the Middle East somewhere. Never had surgery so far, don't intend to break that record by getting shot. A big plus for Submarines is that death is more or less instant.
    Bootcamp will most likely give you a few scrapes that will give you a flying start on your scar collection.
    I will not quench your dreams, but slow drowning in a downed sub is not my idea of instant...
    Status Emeritus

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: How many military members here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane
    Bootcamp will most likely give you a few scrapes that will give you a flying start on your scar collection.
    I will not quench your dreams, but slow drowning in a downed sub is not my idea of instant...

i think he is talking about a sudden loss of hull integrity situation...that would be pretty fast....probably fast enough so that you don´t even realize what happened..

the situation you described is also possible of course.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

I'll hopefully be going to Sandhurst soon after I graduate so voted for the last option.

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, 1989-1993.

Honourable discharge.
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

If you really want to skate, go into the air force. I have been to navy bases, Marine bases, army bases, and Air Force bases. The Air Force have a life of ease and comnfort.
    The air force is like a country club or college. I stayed on an air force base one day and coundnt believe it. All ship duty in the Navy sucks. Extremely tight quarters. I remember going on the Enterprise and them trying to get me to volunter for duty on her. I took one look at the sleeping quarters and said no thanks plus your at sea for months at a time. Also the Marines have nuch more to offer than just grunt work. I was in the air wing and worked on F-4s. They said that the air force had 20 different MOS's to do the same job I did. I was a Marine aviation photo electronics technician. Spent three years in schools and OJT on electronic systems, photography and computers before going over seas and fit in 9 months as a PMI, primary marksmanship instructor for you civilian pukes out there.

And damn you Divinus Arma you brought a tear to this old Marines eye with that post. Semper Fi. I see its still the same Corps I left.

It seems we still are the few, the proud , the Marines.
    Last edited by Gawain of Orkeny; 08-01-2005 at 15:30.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast