Thread: Strange history facts

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Default Strange history facts

The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung and was used by the Egyptians in 2000 BC.

The Hundred Year War actually lasted for 116 years – from 1337 to 1453.

The shortest war there has ever been was between Britain and Zanzibar during 1896. It lasted for a pathetic 38 minutes.

Everyone in the Middle Ages believed -- as Aristotle had -- that the heart was the seat of intelligence.

In England and the American colonies they year 1752 only had 354 days. In that year, the type of calendar was changed, and 11 days were lost.

The condom was invented in the early 1500's, and was originally made of linen.

In the Great Fire of London in 1666 half of London was burnt down but only 6 people were injured.

It has been calculated that in the last 3,500 years, there have only been 230 years of peace throughout the civilized world.

At the height of inflation in Germany in the early 1920s, one U.S. dollar was equal to 4 quintillion German marks.

In 1778, fashionable women of Paris never went out in blustery weather without a lightning rod attached to their hats.

During the time of Peter the Great, any Russian man who wore a beard was required to pay a special tax.

In 1892, Italy raised the minimum age for marriage for girls to 12.

Ancient Egyptians shaved off their eyebrows to mourn the death of their cats.

In ancient Rome, a runaway slave was considered a criminal because he had stolen himself (i.e. the property of his master)!

Roman women especially enjoyed when their husbands went to war against Germany because the naturally-blond hair of Germans captured in battle would be used to make wigs!

According to Juvenal, the streets of Rome were so noisy that people living near them would die from lack of sleep! (Hyperbolically speaking, of course)

The punishment of a Vestal Virgin who broke her oath of chastity was to be buried alive!

In early Rome, a father could legally execute any member of his household!

In May 1948, Mt Ruapehu and Mt Ngauruhoe, both in New Zealand, erupted simultaneously.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Default Re: Strange history facts

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Everyone in the Middle Ages believed -- as Aristotle had -- that the heart was the seat of intelligence.
    This sounds a lot like the idea that everyone believed the earth was flat. Didn't people get head aches from overthinking ? Or didn't people had problems thinking/concentrating because of a head ache ?
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

want it originaly made out of darms (sp?)

We do not sow.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

The Hundred Year War actually lasted for 116 years – from 1337 to 1453.
    CONSPIRACY!!! Conspiracy i tell ya!!!

The shortest war there has ever been was between Britain and Zanzibar during 1896. It lasted for a pathetic 38 minutes.
    As long as we (britain) won, i'm happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Hehe, some interesting facts there Gawain. I particularly like the Russian beard tax .

yeah wasnt that part of his bewesterning of russia.

We do not sow.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Strange history facts

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    This sounds a lot like the idea that everyone believed the earth was flat.
    Actually, everyone in the Middle Ages believed -- as Aristotle had -- that the earth was a globe.

Aristotle was widely read in the Middle Ages (by the educated at least) and consider to be a source of truth by the church. They even went as far, when translating his work, as to remove "this is true unless experiments prove it to be otherwise" whenever he wrote it. Aristotle reported a number of false things, for example that common house flies had four legs (God knows how he could get that wrong), but it was never his intention that everything he said should be taken as gospel truth. He is sometimes, quite unjustly, considered the man who stopped science (as if there was no science in the Middle Ages).

But to say that "everyone believed" is a bit of exaggeration.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Maybe houseflies evolved to have 6 legs, but originally had 4?

In Ancient Greece, courtesans wore sandals with nails studded into the sole so that their footprints would leave the message "Follow me".

More than 100 years ago, the felt-hat-makers of England used Mercury to stabilise wool, with many eventually being poisoned by the fumes - as demonstrated by the Mad Hatter in Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland.

The population of the world in 5000BC was 5 million.

In World War II, it cost the Allies $225,00 to kill one enemy soldier.

Cambridge University was established in 1209.

damned, one expensive kill. you see, you'd better dont have war. it makes your richer and happier

We do not sow.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung and was used by the Egyptians in 2000 BC..
    I shuuder to think of the kind of infections...ugh
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

That man that is claimed to be the first one that had sailed around the world, passed away on the half of the trip.

We do not sow.