Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jane fonda at it again

Thumbs down Jane fonda at it again

Some one told me Jane fonda is going to iraq with the insurgents or something. I dont know if this is true or not. Can any one find more info.

She should have been shot for treason the last time because she helped torture pows. If she is really going hopefully she sits on an IED this time instead of an AA gun.
    Formerly ceasar010

Default Re: Jane fonda at it again

.. Hm?
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Wouldn't it be appropriate to do some research yourself in order to confirm this rumor before starting a thread about it?

Quote Originally Posted by JAG
    .. Hm?

She is an american celebrity who went to North Vietnam to show support for them. While there she helped torture american POWS.

and i will go look for it cleange
    Formerly ceasar010

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Here's an article on the subject from the LA Times:

Bush's Jane Fonda-esque mistake
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ceasar010
    She is an american celebrity who went to North Vietnam to show support for them. While there she helped torture american POWS.

and i will go look for it cleange
    I bet she tortured as many POW's as you have been to the moon.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

From Wikipedia:

"Hanoi Jane"

In Vietnam, Fonda was photographed seated on an anti-aircraft battery used to fire at American pilots, and participated in several radio broadcasts of the Communist regime, asking US pilots to turn around without dropping their bombs. In her 2005 autobiography she said that she had been manipulated into sitting on the battery, having previously rejected any visits to military installations, which the Vietnamese ignored. She said that at the time of the photo she had been manipulated into sitting on the battery whilst laughing about an unrelated joke, not realising immediately what she was sitting on - and was immediately horrified at the implications of the photo that was swiftly taken.

She also visited American prisoners of war, who she claims assured her they had been neither tortured nor brainwashed. Fonda advanced these claims and relayed them to the American public. When cases of torture began to emerge among POWs returning to the United States, Fonda called them liars. She also added, concerning the POWs she met, "These were not men who had been tortured. These were not men who had been starved. These were not men who had been brainwashed." Concerning torture in general, Fonda told the New York Times in 1973, "I'm quite sure that there were incidents of torture...but the pilots who were saying it was the policy of the Vietnamese and that it was systematic, I believe that's a lie." Her stance has some backing, as former vice presidential candidate and POW James Stockdale wrote that no more than 10% of US pilots in captivity received more than 90% of the torture, usually for acts of resistance. Additionally, John Hubbel's research into the conflict indicates that the majority (but certainly not all) of the torture occurred before 1969.

Fonda's visit to Hanoi was not until July of 1972, and the Paris Peace Accords were signed less than six months later. Fonda delivered home letters from many American POWs in Vietnam. She also is often credited with publicly exposing the strategy of bombing the dikes in Vietnam, for which she was at the time called a "liar" by then-UN ambassador George H. W. Bush.

Although the war was largely protested at home by this time, and many Americans were against the war, her actions in July, 1972, were widely perceived as over the top. The anti-war movement of the time was not characterized by a single motivation: some, such as Quakers and other traditionally pacifist groups were opposed to war in any circumstances; some felt that the war was not an American responsibility or concern, arguing especially that it was a civil war in which the US was choosing sides; some, such as young men of draft age, their parents and friends, didn't want their lives risked in an unpopular war; but some expressed a partisanship for the opposing side in the war, including Jane Fonda—and this made her a polarizing figure.

Rumors that Fonda handed over information from U.S. prisoners of war to National Liberation Front (NLF) insurgents (better known in the U.S. as the "Viet Cong") were never confirmed, as were reports that a pilot spat at Fonda and was beaten for it and that one POW was beaten to death for refusing to meet with her. The latter story, though, may be an exaggeration of the true account of Michael Benge, a civilian advisor captured by the NLF in 1968 and held as a POW for 5 years. He wrote "When Jane Fonda was in Hanoi, I was asked by the camp communist political officer if I would be willing to meet with her. I said yes, for I would like to tell her about the real treatment we POWs were receiving, which was far different from the treatment purported by the North Vietnamese, and parroted by Jane Fonda, as 'humane and lenient.' Because of this, I spent three days on a rocky floor on my knees with outstretched arms with a piece of steel re-bar placed on my hands, and beaten with a bamboo cane every time my arms dipped." [1] [2]

Her detractors labeled her Hanoi Jane, comparing her to war propagandists Tokyo Rose and Hanoi Hannah. She has often been associated with contributing to a perceived anti-soldier sentiment among Vietnam War protesters, such as spitting on soldiers. Because of her actions, actor John Wayne cut off contact with her, even though he was a close friend of her father, and the Fonda children considered him an uncle.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Some people just need to be systamaticly eradicated
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Scandinavian and loving it Member Lazul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strike for the south
    wha?
    www.overspun.com

"Freedom without opportunity is a devil's gift."
    --Noam Chomsky

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strike for the south
    Thanks for this very eloquent and distinctive contribution to the discussion in the Backroom.

Some one told me Jane fonda is going to iraq with the insurgents or something.
    Or something
    She is doing a tour in the company of American veterans of the Iraq war in a vegetable oil fueled bus to protest against a useless expensive war that was started over a heap of bullshit

Some one told me
    tell your friends to learn to read or listen , it has been in all the media
    edit to add
    She should have been shot for treason the last time because she helped torture pows.
    What can you say to a statement like that
    Now where was that topic about Vietnam and Iraq
    Last edited by Tribesman; 07-31-2005 at 23:30.

Someone told me we should create a new topic ... or something.
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

I think she's doing some anti-war tour of the U.S. later this year/next year.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I think Fonda is clearly showing herself as an idiot to be doing this. After so many years she finally rehabilitates her career enough to actually land a major role and they she marches back out on anti-war protests. You'd think she'd be a little more cautious considering how many people she upset last time.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

I know a few vietnam vets and they hate her. She betrayed her country and should hang for it.

She is just another one of them !@#$ rich people looking for a cause. While I was looking for an article about her, one thing said she supported the black panthers.
    Last edited by scooter_the_shooter; 08-01-2005 at 01:31.
    Formerly ceasar010

She was just a dumb kid.

Calling for her execution is a tad over the top...

for Jane

Do you support what she did in nam?
    Formerly ceasar010

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Yes thats true. She was dumb then and may still be dumb now. Hardly worth calling for her execution, one visit and a ill-judged photo-op does not a Lord Hawhaw make. Her other supposed crimes have never been confirmed. I've never understood this hatred some on this board have for her. As for encouraging anti-soldier feelings I do not know, but I deplore such sentiments as deeply unfair.At least she has stuck by her pacifist beliefs and is willing to put her career, such as it is, in jeopardy again.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Do you know who the black pathers are??? they are NOT pacifist.
    Formerly ceasar010

We're talking about Jane Fonda, though, not the Black Panthers.

Ceasar, I know what the Black Panthers are, yes. What I do not know is the whereabouts of that article you mention or the words "I support the Black Panthers in all they do" coming from Fonda's own mouth.

Without that information that post is as speculative and vague as your opening one.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Fonda

She likewise supported Huey Newton and the Black Panthers in the early 1970s. She said "revolution is an act of love; we are the children of revolution, born to be rebels. It runs in our blood." She called the Black Panthers "our revolutionary vanguard. We must support them with love, money, propaganda and risk."
    she is a phsyco
    Formerly ceasar010

Perhaps you should follow the link to the Black Panther page?

Here is old Hanoi Jane behind the gunsights in Nam '72.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyspy
    Yes thats true. She was dumb then and may still be dumb now. Hardly worth calling for her execution, one visit and a ill-judged photo-op does not a Lord Hawhaw make. Her other supposed crimes have never been confirmed. I've never understood this hatred some on this board have for her. As for encouraging anti-soldier feelings I do not know, but I deplore such sentiments as deeply unfair.At least she has stuck by her pacifist beliefs and is willing to put her career, such as it is, in jeopardy again.
    Yup. Remember, she is entitled to her own opinion. Just like the Dixie Chicks (for those who don't know who they are, they are a country music group that shot their mouth off at the wrong time and got smacked for it by fans and radio stations).

Should she have done what she did? I don't think so, but her actions did draw attention to what was wrong with some troops in Vietnam and also helped the military clean up its act.

Saying she should be executed for treason is silly. She is not a traitor.

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Quote Originally Posted by ceasar010
    While there she helped torture american POWS.
    I thought it has been established here that panties on head, even Jane Fonda's, are not torture......

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roark
    She was just a dumb kid.

Calling for her execution is a tad over the top...
    No it's not. She is a traitor, and the penalty for treason is death.

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Okaaayyyy....

Do you want to elaborate on how she deserves death? She was definitely insensitive to the troops, government policy and common sense, but I think death's a bit excessive...

Those of you who are saying she helped torture POWs are the victims of an urban legend:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...y/aa110399.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser of Arabia
    No it's not. She is a traitor, and the penalty for treason is death.
    Holy hell! I was just about to post on how I thought most of you guys were joking around with the execution stuff, but damn!

Even I joke around with fatalistic comments such as "turning the middle east into a sheet of glass" and so forth. But wow. You guys are evil bastards. I LOVE IT!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast