Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: BI demo in PC Gamer !!!

Default Re: BI demo in PC Gamer !!!

Since it's almost like having a new game, is there any chance of enhancing it with the auto-numbering of units discussed here-Legio V Alaudae: Sharper Pointy Things ? I'd also like the ability to turn off the unit highlighting rather than the banners. I know Barbarian Invasion is at the demo stage, but neither of these improvements would cause a programmer much anguish.

Congratulations on the Rome: Total War campaign map, which is a fantastic advance. It even seems to have a design which anticipates the simultaneous resolution of moves on the strategic level...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fishpants
    I think you're forgetting that Barbarian Invasion is a Sega product, while RTW was originally published by Activision. For CA's new parent company, it is almost like having a new game.
    I meant it in a positive way. CA has always put a lot of content in their add-ons, so they represent a good value in that sense. If the move to Sega has allowed CA to spend more time on the strategic and tactical gameplay than it did in Rome, and recent posts by CA suggest it has, that's great and the game deserves to be presented as a fresh version of the game.

Maybe that doesn't sound positive, but the people who have shelved Rome didn't do it because of the graphics. I just looked at the Rome box in a store tonight, and it says on the box, "The best strategy game of all time." I don't want to get into a discussion about that and I know that Activision put that statement there, but the statement emphasizes "strategy". If CA is allowed to emphasize strategy in BI under Sega, that's a significant change and BI may very well be essentially a new game with the improved gameplay filtering back into Rome as well.

The BI screen shots look very nice, but I want to see the gameplay improved enough that my clan will come back and start playing this game again. Right now 7 out of the 11 members in my clan won't play Rome. I believe only 2 of the 4 who are willing to play it play regularly. All 11 played MTW, and most of them date back to STW and played regularly.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

Anybody noticed that all demo units have substantialy higher defense values then in original (if you remove exp bonus of course).

And foot shield base in 6 instead of 5 as before.

Also armor norm seems a bit higher then in vanilla.
    (slower killing speed anyone)

As well as upkeep is not well rounded down. Maybe more experienced troops, or better armed troops have higher upkeep?
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by player1
    Anybody noticed that all demo units have substantialy higher defense values then in original (if you remove exp bonus of course).
    Yes, I noticed that. It's natural that armour might improve over time, although to be honest, this is not so obvious from the unit graphics. It's not clear why defence skill should have improved (at least for the Romans), so I agree that it looks like an attempt to slow down combat speed.

I am not sure what is going to happen to pre-BI units - if some are still available in BI (as I assume), I wonder if they will be outclassed? Or whether there has been a general increase in defence stats across the board? The latter sounds a little too radical based on the small tweaks CA made in VI, although I hope it is true.

Plain Archer is good example.

In BI: Armor 4, Defense 5.
    If we remove +2exp and +1 bonus from blacksmith, that's:
    Armor 3, Defense 3

Compare to same plain archer in non-BI:
    Armor 0, Defense 2

I guess that original campaign will be rebalanced to take this in consideration.

By the way,
    I would kill for downloadable BI version of export_descr_unit.txt file.

Any chance?

Forever British Member King Ragnar's Avatar

Is the demo out in the uk now in pc gamer to non subscribers?
    Vote For The British nationalist Party.
    Say no to multi-culturalism.

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

Not when I checked today.

May be available tomorrow (Thursday) so the newsagent said.

Jochi
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Just got the mag boys - its out today so get looking!

Just another genius Member aw89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Suribachi
    Classic

PC Gamer UK is in the shops on August 4th. As the dude says, subscribers get the mag a few days early. PCG UK get a lot of TW exclusives as one of CAs PR dudes, Ian Roxborough used to be a reviewer for them. I'm sure the demo will be on the CA website soon enough.
    RTW: BI demo today (If ca realeses it or someone uploads on the imternet)

and FEAR demo tomorrow

sounds good

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind King of Bohemia
    Just got the mag boys - its out today so get looking!
    Thanks for telling us BKB....

Maybe I can get a copy of it over the internet.
    When is the BI demo available on the internet?!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

CA UK Design Staff CA Intrepid Sidekick's Avatar

CA Re: BI demo in PC Gamer !!!

There are plans for some sort of internet release of the game demo but I have no details of who or when exactly.

Be patient. It will happen.

Intrepid Sidekick.
    Intrepid Sidekick
    ~CA UK Design Staff~

'On two occasions, I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answer come out?"
    I am not able to rightly apprehend the confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.'

Mr. C. Babbage - Inventor of the Difference Engine

"They couldn't hit an Elephant at this dist..." Last words of General John Sedgewick, Union General, 1864.

http://www.totalwar.com

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Wink Re: BI demo in PC Gamer !!!

You should know better by now, Intreprid Sidekick. We whine and complain for months, but when the moment is there a few days is too long to wait

I'm really enjoying this. You guys have never seen anything like the Hounds of Culainn - huge beserker hamming wielding madmen who go crazy in battle. Uncontrollable, CA even did a new swinging around and hitting animation! Absolutely hilarious, though purists will hate it!

Loving the swimming and new formations too. I can tell this is going to be a better game already.

Chivalry Mod Team Member Kor Khan's Avatar

Has the AI improved much? Or are the battles so scripted that you can't tell, like they were in the RTW demo?

Terrible Turk Member Little Legioner's Avatar
    Somewhere in Balkans. Collecting younglings for the Janissary corps. Preparing the troops for upcoming war.

Thanks for information Intrepid. Will you add a custom battle for BI demo. Hıstorical battles pretty good designed about all manners but custom ones can reflect a better picture for the game itself

I'm wondering main differences between historic and standart battles. I mean as you can estimate battlemap sizes. On historic ones they were 2X2 and standart maps 1X1.
    Last edited by Little Legioner; 08-04-2005 at 15:38.

Finest goods and lowest prices in all Cyrodiil.

Got it. Will give my verdict shortly

......Orda

Can anyone tell me if the demo is in the September PCGamer that comes with a CD on the cover, or only with the one with a DVD? I've seen the one with the CD on the cover, but that looked like it only had a demo of Brothers in Arms... Darn it!

The battle maps seem bigger, i've just made a battle for myself as the Franks vs the Western Romans. The night battles are great, seeing the torches in the distance( especially on the Chalon map that i used) which is the only light you have to fight the battle which adds something to the game, and it gives the battles much more atmosphere.

The cd and dvd editions both come with the demo by the way

I'm not too sure about the AI, both battles are harder than Romes demo thats for sure. Chalons is kind of difficult but that might just because of it being a historical battle
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 08-04-2005 at 16:40.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind King of Bohemia
    The cd and dvd editions both come with the demo by the way
    ...sound of running feet disappearing off in the direction of the nearest news agent...

Thanks for that BKB!

Ok Brits have fun with the demo, but remember we're getting the full game in the usa 2 weeks before you get it.

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orda Khan
    Got it. Will give my verdict shortly

......Orda
    Any chance we can have a look at some export_descr_unit file?

Significant changes there, more in line with what was worked on some times ago with Mordred would go A LONG WAY in making me look at BI in a favorable way.

Just like Yuuki, out of all FF players, I dare to say noone is seriously playing RTW as it is, for all purposes it's shelved and only a couple of us would play a game from time to time... But that's it.

Louis,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

Any chance we can have a look at some export_descr_unit file?
    Its not there, or at least I can't see it. I think they hid a few things.

Chivalry Mod Team Member Kor Khan's Avatar

The battle maps seem bigger
    Another question: Are they actually bigger than the historical battle maps in vanilla? The HB were always bigger than the campaign ones, as all of the battlefield could be accessed, rather than just a quarter of the visible area.

Are the battlefields for BI really bigger? I sure hope so, this was always a big problem with huge settings.

can someone show me some Sassanid Empire`s units ? especially elephants ?....no one showed it until now

Now THIS is a night battle!

And DJ will be please to now that when units run with torches in their hands they leave a trail of smoke - surely this could be of use in modding gunpowder units?

For people with the demo, I might upload a couple of battles later. This one and an East vs. West battle if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfish
    can someone show me some Sassanid Empire`s units ? especially elephants ?....no one showed it until now
    Yeah, I want to see Clibinarii Cavalry.

What is the restrictions of the demo, or an easier question what is avaible? Historical battles for sure, but is custom battles, or a simple campaign avaible? And how many factions is avaible for play?

Nice screenshots there BKB by the way, looks like fireworks on that last one.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

BKB, you're just being cruel.

The Levy Spearmen are "eager" and "unhappy due to exhaustion" when in fact they are only "very tired". I guess it means the morale is being lowered by fatigue.

Very nice indeed. Too early to comment on AI but it did seem to be more cohesive even though only 51 of them survived Chalons
    Unit speeds looked much the same but I am used to it by now. I was happy with the melee, the Gothic spears gave a good account. I will do some battles and remain more static to see just what the AI does. I've seen nothing to change my opinion that BI will prove to be a very enjoyable game. Great job CA

.....Orda

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast