Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BI demo in PC Gamer !!!

Default BI demo in PC Gamer !!!

Hello everyone

Someone on the RTR forum has got the BI demo and posted a few pics.

Here's the link:

http://www.rometotalrealism.com/phpb...2bd6795f152e4b

Let me know if you have any problems.

Default Re: BI demo in PC Gamer !!!

cool!....but i think those hunnic steppe spearmen are a little unrealistic

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

That Schiltron formation looks very promising; the Lordz might be able to get a square formation out of that. Can't wait till I can't my hands on the code!

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Too bad theres no statement on how the mechanics work. If I get ahold of the demo I'm going to do a suicidal charge head on into some spearmen. It also dawned on me why they only gave hannibal 3 or 4 bodyguards. Imagine 40 bodyguards rolling up on the Roman army, with the rest of your army behind you
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

It looks good, the night battles look very good, the shield wall looks like a circle type Phalanx which looks good as well. Theres a Celtic unit with a war hammer that look promising. Overall not bad at all. I'm going to go and pick one up i think

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Question Re: BI demo in PC Gamer !!!

I thought the Schiltron formation was a round formation used by Scottisch pikemen. Now reading through the poster's review I read that the Schiltron is a running phalanx formation. Shieldwall is according to BKB the round formation which should have been a long straight formation. Am I messing it up or is the poster switching names?
    Last edited by Duke John; 08-01-2005 at 10:28.

Forever British Member King Ragnar's Avatar

It looks pretty cool the demo should be available to download soon, hopefully.
    Vote For The British nationalist Party.
    Say no to multi-culturalism.

I think the shield wall is the first pic and it looks like a circular formation with spears protruding from all sides. Hopefully a formation like this will decrease the overpowered cavalry in the game.

Schiltron formation doesn't sound to bad, as it would allow mobility with the Phalanx and is quite accurate as Schiltron formations were used by the Pictish Tribes especially when encountering horse warriors such as Strathclyde.

I hope the reviewer might have it wrong as the first pic should be a Schiltron formation, a shield wall would have shields locked together and as DJ said in more of a line than a circle.
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 08-01-2005 at 11:58.

Wait! I messed up Razz

The Spearmen have a default formation that LOOKS like the phalanx, but doesnt work like it. The Shiltcron(m?) is accurate
    Well lets hope it is different

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

It looks really good espacilly swimming and the shield wall
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Whimsysmith & Designy Bloke CA Captain Fishpants's Avatar

CA Re: BI demo in PC Gamer !!!

The 'schiltron' (the Scottish term was schiltrum) is an immobile formation for barbarian spearmen. Every stands in a circle, every spearpoint outwards to fend off cavalry attacks and as a result it has no flanks for enemy horsemen to exploit. This is good.

The bad bit is that a unit in a schiltron is immobile, so it's a kind of passive-aggressive manouevre that can really cause problems if you don't have missile troops to counter it.

We did use the term 'hedgehog' for this formation for quite a long time and considered having this as the 'official' in-game term for it, because the word is a very good description of what the unit is doing. On the other hand, given that CA's new owners are Sega, putting a hedgehog in the game might have sent the wrong signals, realism-wise.
    Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

The formal bit: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fishpants
    On the other hand, given that CA's new owners are Sega, putting a hedgehog in the game might have sent the wrong signals, realism-wise.
    Yes I have no doubt some paranoid gamer would have made a connection

CBR

Default Sv: Re: BI demo in PC Gamer !!!

Looks very good.
    A few hours and it is probably on a torrent file.
    And stalins ghost is wrong about the carroballistas, they are historical.
    You can see carroballistas on Trajan's column.

I say PC GAMER doesn`t have yet the DEMO...the guy is lying....why the demo isn`t on any official site?
    http://www.pcgamer.com/inthisissue.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfish
    I say PC GAMER doesn`t have yet the DEMO...the guy is lying....why the demo isn`t on any official site?
    I don't think he is.
    I mean CA staff has been here and they didn't say anything so it must be true.
    It seems that subscribers gets the demo before the rest who will have to wait a couple of days or until someone makes a torrent.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duke John
    That Schiltron formation looks very promising; the Lordz might be able to get a square formation out of that.
    Yup, as an immobile formation with no flanks, it sounds perfect. All you've got to do is square the circle.

aka AggonyAdherbal Member Lord Adherbal's Avatar

Yup, as an immobile formation with no flanks, it sounds perfect. All you've got to do is square the circle.
    and pray it works with missile weapons. That didn't work with phalanx formation IIRC.
    Member of The Lordz Games Studio:
    A new game development studio focusing on historical RTS games of the sword & musket era
    http://www.thelordzgamesstudio.com

Member of The Lordz Modding Collective:
    Creators of Napoleonic Total War I & II
    http://www.thelordz.co.uk

The thing I have been most curious about with the expansion pack was the symbols of western and eastern Roman Empires. It looks like CA chose the Chi Rho or I think it’s also called a sigla. I think if this is the case, it is a good choice by CA. These are the first letters of the Greek word "XPICTOC, which means "Christ" and demonstrates the new religious influences over the sons of Rome. It took a lot of Catholic schooling to know that.

That's the USA version. The demo is in the UK PC Gamer.

www.pcgamer.co.uk ..the same shit

i mean...hello!.....that guy is not the only one who is subscriber to PC GAMER magazine...why is just him only?....i have serious doubts about that demo...anyway...whatever...my opinion is less important
    Last edited by Coldfish; 08-01-2005 at 17:12.

www.pcgamer.co.uk ..the same shit

i mean...hello!.....that guy is not the only one who is subscriber to PC GAMER magazine...why is just him only?
    Here is two others http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29978

ummm....weird

ummm....weird
    What's so wierd about it?

Chivalry Mod Team Member Kor Khan's Avatar

Am I the only one here who can't see that page? I happen to know that the RTR site is down, does that go for the forums as well?

Edit: Don't worry, I found it via another link. I can see it now .
    Last edited by Kor Khan; 08-01-2005 at 17:34.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Coldfish, please watch the language. This is a family forum.

Last edited by Coldfish; 08-01-2005 at 17:34.

i cant open it, the link died

at least 3 persons who got the BI demo already....and none of them bothered to upload the game...i mean not all of us live in the UK to buy that magazine..oh well...we just have to wait...until CA bothers to release that demo on his own
    Last edited by Coldfish; 08-01-2005 at 19:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fishpants
    given that CA's new owners are Sega, putting a hedgehog in the game might have sent the wrong signals, realism-wise.
    Classic

PC Gamer UK is in the shops on August 4th. As the dude says, subscribers get the mag a few days early. PCG UK get a lot of TW exclusives as one of CAs PR dudes, Ian Roxborough used to be a reviewer for them. I'm sure the demo will be on the CA website soon enough.
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

The original link is a dead link. Can someone get another one? I'd like to see the screenies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast