Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial: Adding new units for beginners

Default Re: Tutorial: Adding new units for beginners

Thanks, this is a great tutorial, but the only thing is that i checked in the skins download section of the site and the royal spartan guard are gone, i downloaded them before but i had my computer re-formated.

is there any way you could put the reoyal spartan guard up for download again?

I have a question:

I'm changing some things in a mod right now and everything works with the units and adding and stuff BUT I can't find the

export_descr_unit_enums.txt

it is nowhere, not in the data folder and not in any of the subfolders as far as I can see.

Does anyone have any idea?
    My first balloon:

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

all the enums files became obsolete when one of the later RTW/BI patches was released, so the mod probably didn't include it - you don't need to worry about it.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

thank you. I was surprised it worked without it lol
    My first balloon:

Hello everybody! I am here first time! I want add some units from the mod XGM to EB (Europa Barbarorum),because I hate the look of much units hoplite! Is it possible? And how to do it? Thanks in advance!

The Aspiring God Of War Member Lysander13's Avatar
    Leading the assault against the Gods at Mount Olympos itself.

Originally posted by Anelus
    Hello everybody! I am here first time!
    Welcome to the org friend.

I want add some units from the mod XGM to EB (Europa Barbarorum),because I hate the look of much units hoplite!
    Hate the look of the hoplite in EB?.....Blasphemy!!
    Nothing wrong with wanting to add a few units however. For example i love the ATG Spartans and have added them to my version of EB. I've added one or two from XGM as well.

Is it possible? And how to do it? Thanks in advance!
    It is indeed possible. Read the tutorial on the first page of this thread as it is in all likelihood the most comprehensive tutorial written for adding units. As for adding them to EB you may come across a stumbling block or two. As adding a unit to EB is a just a bit more difficult than let's say adding a unit to Vanilla RTW. If you do have a problem you may want to ask on the EB forum for help. There are plenty of people around who wouldn't mind helping you...including me. Just keep the hating the look of the EB hoplite part to yourself, eh? Unless of course you have actual historical accuracy type issues with their presentation in EB. Then i'm sure they would love to hear what you have to say, presuming you have credible sources of course. But if it's something like let's say you don't like them because they are not wearing Corinthian Helms or the Romans don't have The Lorica Segmenta....well then

hey all I'm new here and the first thing i did was read this tutorial and I got to say it was a big help. I successfully modded in the royal spartan guard but one problem that is rather small but still annoying is....when i right click to bring the stats and info sheet up it shows the picture of the spartan but the unit pic when it shows the units in my army is still the grey peasent.

can someone plz tell me how to fix this? Thanks

The Aspiring God Of War Member Lysander13's Avatar
    Leading the assault against the Gods at Mount Olympos itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevarian
    hey all I'm new here and the first thing i did was read this tutorial and I got to say it was a big help. I successfully modded in the royal spartan guard but one problem that is rather small but still annoying is....when i right click to bring the stats and info sheet up it shows the picture of the spartan but the unit pic when it shows the units in my army is still the grey peasent.

can someone plz tell me how to fix this? Thanks
    If i understand you correctly...Your saying instead of a Spartan Royal Guard Unit Card your looking at a grey peasant? If that's what your saying then you either didn't name the unit cards after the dictionary line in the EDU correctly or you didn't add them at all and what your getting i believe is a default unit card. Double check these two things...If this wasn't what you were asking, pardon for misunderstanding.

Is it possible for someone to send me a nonchanged descr_model_battle ... i screwed mine alot ... thanks

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

PM sent
    tell me if you get the file or if you can't

First off, a few choice picks from the Modding Rules of Cool:
    cool modders make back-ups
    cool modders use show_err
    Epistolary Richard, in the very first post of this thread
    Last edited by Poulp'; 09-12-2007 at 15:47.

I loved this tutorial and it was good but I am just knowledgeable about computers and modding to be dangerous (to my computer that is). I went through the tutorial and the units perform properly in battle but guess what?? I got the grey/green peasant card for the unit card. I just didn't understand which files to place where apparently. Also some of my files were named differently than the ones shows on the tutorial. Here is a list of the files I got from the zip download for the Spartan Royal Guard.

#Spartan_Royal_Guard.TGA
    ROYAL_SPARTAN.TGA.DDS
    ROYAL_SPARTAN_100.CAS
    ROYAL_SPARTAN_200.CAS
    ROYAL_SPARTAN_300.CAS
    ROYAL_SPARTAN_400.CAS
    ROYAL_SPARTAN_GLOSS.TGA
    ROYAL_SPARTAN_GLOSS.TGA.DDS
    Spartan_Royal_Guard_INFO.TGA

If anyone could please tell me which of these files specifically go in the "UNITS" & "UNIT INFO" files then it would be greatly appreciated. My other entries in the "dictionary line" came directly from your tutorial. I am stumped on this one but I knew you could help me out. Also, does it matter if the folders are in all CAPS. I typed them in ALL CAPS just like they were on this tutorial.

Thank you very much.
    Sincerely
    steelersfanmo
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    Pogo (Walt Kelly)

Apparently I did something right. I went back and re-did some things with the files I listed in my original message and I now at least have the small unit card showing for the Royal Spartan Guards. The only thing that still shows the dark grey/green peasant card is the large unit info card. Can someone please show me which of the files from my original message go where in order to take care of this problem. I know it is petty and only a minor problem but it really does annoy me so any help would be appreciated. Thank a bunch!!
    Pogo (Walt Kelly)

Spartan_Royal_Guard_INFO.TGA would go in
    data/ui/units_info/faction
    faction being the one you want to use them, should be same as you did for the little cards.
    Download the:

Thanks for the suggestion but I tried this and it didn't work. If you or anyone has any other suggestions then I would greatly appreciate them. Keep up the good work out there to all of you modders!! THANKS!!!
    Pogo (Walt Kelly)

double checking I just noticed I spelt the file name wrong
    should be

data/ui/unit_info/greek_cities
    etc
    not 'units'
    sorry if you followed that exactly - could be the problem!

otherwise all I can think of is re-name the file so INFO is info in small letters.
    Download the:

To Makanyane:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU (well you get the picture)that worked. You know what they say. "The devil is in the details." If I had been paying attention better when I went through this tutorial then I would have noticed that it said "unit_info" and not "units_info" in the first place. I actuall had it named incorrectly from the beginning simply because I looked at the folder that I created called "units" and named the other one accordingly. Not to mention that I forgot to put "_" in between the two words. DUH, DUH, DUH!!! Anyway thanks again for all the help and I hope I wasn't too much of a bother. ROCK ON!!
    Pogo (Walt Kelly)

Sorry but here I go again. I got to looking at my unit description and it only shows the part starting with "From this group". It doesn't show the first part that starts with "Legendary warriors". I checked the unit_export file in the text folder and everything that should be there is there but it just doesn't show up on the Large Unit description detail. Can anyone help me with this one?? I apologize for being such trouble and I know it is probably something simple but I am totally new to modding my files and tend to get in over my head at times. I am learning, or at least I think and hope that I am, though so maybe at some point in the future I can be a part of the solution instead of part of the problem like I feel right now. Thanks again ahead of time!!
    Pogo (Walt Kelly)

can you find the relevant section of export_units.txt (in data/text folder) for that unit and copy and paste it here?
    Download the:

To Makanyane,

Sorry I didn't get right back with you and your reply but I was busy toying around with the description in the text file and actually managed to fix the problem. Thank you for the suggestion and all of the help you have given me thus far. You have been a real help and it is sincerely appreciated. I didn't play the game any so I hope it doesn't crash when I try to enter a battle with the unit or some other strange thing but if it does I do have the -show err running. I really don't understand why it basically discounted the first part of the description but I decided to copy it then paste it in the location where it was picking up on the description. Voila!! That seemed to have worked. It worked so well in fact that I was able to add a few lines of my own to the description to personalize it a bit. That's one small step toward hopefully being part of the solution since maybe my reply here will help someone out there who may be having the same problem. TO ANYONE WHO TRIES IT, PLEASE REMEMBER TO BACK UP YOU FILES AND DON'T FORGET WHAT I SAID EARLIER. I DIDN'T ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME AFTER I BELIEVED I CORRECTED THE PROBLEM (had to get some sleep sometime and post this reply) SO IF IT CRASHES FOR SOME REASON THEN PLEASE DON'T GET TOO UPSET. Although, I cant' imagine why editing the text file would cause any such problem but as I said I'm new to all of this and actually pretty ignorant of exactly what effects what in the nether worlds of the computer files but I am trying to learn. Anyway gotta run. Gotta get up in about 4 hours.
    Pogo (Walt Kelly)

In reference to my last post about fixing the problem with the actual unit description that shows up on the large unit card. I re-read it and it made sense at the time I wrote it (which was about 6 in the morning) but now it really didn't clearlly explain what I was trying to say. What I did was leave the original text from the first half in place then copy it and paste it at the end of itself in the location where to portion which was showing up started. So it actually looks like it should show the first half twice in the text\export_unit folder but it shows up properly on the screen. I am about to try out the game for the first time since this so I'll re-post letting everyone know if it acted weird and what the -show_err code was if that happens. Wish me luck and thanks again for all the help. I hope if this works then it will help someone else out there who may be experiencing a similar problem.
    Pogo (Walt Kelly)

In reference to my fix. It works just fine. Well gotta go get ready for work so I'll conquer in the name of Sparta later I guess??
    Pogo (Walt Kelly)

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

If you post the offending entries from export_units.txt it might be possible for someone to identify your problem.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

To Squid:

The following is how the entry which works shows int the export_units.txt file. Hope this is useful.

{spartan_royal_guard_descr}
    From a group of legendary warrriors only the best make it in to the Spartan Royal Guard. They carry the Eagle of Olympus as a sign of leadership and to inspire the troops. They also fight in the traditional fashion like hoplites, with a long thrusting spear and the large red round hoplon shield incrusted with the gold symbol of Sparta. They are also protected by an iron breastplate with an external layer of silver.\n\nFrom a group of legendary warrriors only the best make it in to the Spartan Royal Guard. They carry the Eagle of Olympus as a sign of leadership and to inspire the troops. They also fight in the traditional fashion like hoplites, with a long thrusting spear and the large red round hoplon shield incrusted with the gold symbol of Sparta. They are also protected by an iron breastplate with an external layer of silver.\n\n
    The Royal Guard: is an elite unit in the Greek Armies. A small group of selected soldiers who acted as shock troops. The Spartans had a group of 300 hoplites who were a Royal Guard.\n\nThey were 'elite perfect soldiers' and nothing else due to the fact that all of Spartan life is spent training for war. Weaklings perish soon after birth; youths are taught to thieve and terrorize the slave class to harden them; young men are taught nothing unless it has something to do with the arts of war - even music and dance are there only to help keep step when marching and obeying orders.The result is a man who thinks nothing of danger, expects to win, and creates a sense of dread in his opponents. Like those who accompanied King Leonidas they are formed in the image of the heroes of Thermopylae. Their war cry was no retreat, no surrender, no mercy!! That was Sparta!!
    Pogo (Walt Kelly)

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

Could you post the edu entry and if possible a screen of what actually appears in game for the unit?

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Squid,
    Hope this is helpful.

type spartan royal guard
    dictionary spartan_royal_guard ; Spartan Royal Guard
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type Heavy_1
    soldier spartan_royal_guard, 30, 0, 1
    officer greek_standard
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap, command, frighten_foot, frighten_mounted
    formation 1, 1, 1.7, 0.5, 4, square, phalanx
    stat_health 2, 0
    stat_pri 27, 8, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, spear, 25 ,1
    stat_pri_attr spear, long_pike
    stat_sec 21, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 25 ,1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 12, 8, 5, leather
    stat_sec_armour 0, 1, flesh
    stat_heat -2
    stat_ground 2, 0, 0, 0
    stat_mental 60, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 1000, 220, 130, 190, 1740
    ownership greek_cities

As for the screen shot, I have to admit that I have no idea how to capture the image to post it but I can tell you that it shows up exactly as it should for the unit. The first portion which begins with "From a group of legendary warriors" up to the point where it ends with "external layer of silver" only shows up one time on the screen for the unit even though it appears twice in the entry (re: my first posted reply to you). The original entry which should have showed up for this unit was the entry from this tutorial which I copied and pasted into the export_units.txt file but it refused to cooperate and show up as intended. Sorry about the fact that I can't post you an image but I really am just familiar enough with computers to be dangerous (only to my own fortunately). Thanks again for trying to help. I really appreciate it.
    Pogo (Walt Kelly)

Could someone please put up another link to the Spartan Royal Guard files? I followed the link in the tutorial and couldn't find them anywhere.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...do=file&id=536

I think possibly; the text on it is rather mangled but it looks like the EDU entry quoted in the second post, and time of upload is about right for it to be the one mentioned.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)
    Download the:

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Tutorial: Adding new units for beginners

I love this guide
    i'm currently working on a mod for RTW:BI and because I do not have enough time and proper tools to make units myself then getting the units that I need I'm taking from the vanilla RTW..
    Thats all I need right now and this guide helped me a lot
    So .. tnx again

UH-60 Black Hawk Member masteri's Avatar

Can i use this tutorial for m2tw?

BETA TESTER FOR TSARDOMS TOTAL WAR

Visit our forum here

Tsardoms:Total War First preview

you can use it to find out this is a "Rome Total War" forum, not "Medieval 2 Total War" ... thats a different forum wich has its own guides ... :D

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Like the tutorial "How to add units to your game" in the M2 forums ...
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=75706 ;)

G

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast