Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Tutorial: Adding new units for beginners

Default Re: Tutorial: Adding new units for beginners

Makanyane,

Thanks! You are correct. I had failed to list my mod folder name in front of /data. It works great now. Thanks again!
    V/R,

CPT Worsham

well done sir, brillent work
    first time it worked for me.
    A good genarel does not ask who commands an army, but where they are. He will enage all who attack him.

Hi. I was swapping units from one faction to another following the british archer directions. All went well at first and I thought I followed all the directions (I skipped the unit card part because I do not mind the boring peasant cards -modification for personal play only-). However I got on the custum battle, selected my swapped unit and the game would close and stop loading at about 50%.

The one wierd thing I noticed was that underneath the unit card it said "Localized content not specified" or something like that.

thanks in advance, I know I'm almost there

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

First make sure you add -show_err to your command line since it will display an error message (if one is generated) on exit if your lucky. Second the localized content not specified message means that one of the entries in export_units.txt is incorrect, mostly likely the {XXX_descr_short} entry has a typo, the XXX has to match the dictionary name of the unit. Third I believe that a battle loading error such as you describe means that either the texture or sprite lines are incorrect and have a typo in them.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Cool Re: Tutorial: Adding new units for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Trevarian View Post
    hey all I'm new here and the first thing i did was read this tutorial and I got to say it was a big help. I successfully modded in the royal spartan guard but one problem that is rather small but still annoying is....when i right click to bring the stats and info sheet up it shows the picture of the spartan but the unit pic when it shows the units in my army is still the grey peasent.

can someone plz tell me how to fix this? Thanks
    I am also facing same problem. A grey Peasent Unit card. I checked many time the entry in dictionary line and it is same as the name of Unit Card file. Any help will be much appreciated. I will try to include the entries in EDU file and name of Unit card file from home.

I'm trying to change Greek Armoured Hoplite,but changing it will change Cartaghinian Sacred Band,how can ichange it without changing the Sacred Band?

I did it. I maked a Spartan Royal Guard but went I click on the them, I can't hear any thing.
    I think they must sound "Hoplites of Spartan" or "Spartan Hoplites".
    Please help.
    Thanks.

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

You have to edit the sound files for a unit to make noise, they do not have sounds by default just because the unit is placed in the game.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Oh yeah, i have edited the documents, and i have to delete the events ( Dat file) to susscess!

hello! why can't i save the copied text/files on the notepad in the data on RTW? when i try to save them, it wont overwrite the file, it's saying access denied.. Can somebody help me with that pls? thanks, you can send me email replies on avelinojunnie@yahoo.com.. thanks guys

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Hi avelinojunnie, this is probably a permissions issue with Windows. Check to see if the folder is set as read only. If you're using Windows 7 you may find that Program Files and all its sub directories are read only. One workaround is to copy the file to another location, edit it, then copy it back. You should get asked for admin permission, but that way you can overwrite the files. There's probably a better way but that'll get you around the problem.

Let me start by saying this is a wonderful tutorial. With that said though, I'm encountering an error and I'm not quite sure whether or not it's a simple mistake (which I have checked multiple times and can't see anything out of the norm) or if it's my .cas and .tga.dds files. There are two issues to note - although only one of them is of major annoyance.

The annoyance is basically this: The shield graphic is appearing on the soldiers' chests, the front of their helmets is appearing on the side of their heads, the side of the armor (right side) is appearing on their backs - an assumption as it's hard to make out. I would provide a screenie of my own client however, after fixing some directories earlier, it claims my files are missing which isn't true. (I have gone back and repasted them but to no avail.) This is a screenie of someone elses problem and it's basically what's going wrong with me.

https://img520.imageshack.us/img520/...6490634jb7.jpg

Needless to say, it's horribly annoying. Any suggestions and solutions are most welcome.

The skins that I'm using can be found here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1525 (I'm currently only using the Corinthian Hoplite skins.)

Also, I'm using the most up to date version of the XGM mod, as well as a fully patched v1.5 RTW. The XGM exe is running off of the BI exe.

Actually, it did take some time but I got it working. I have yet to mess with any of the other skins but I'm sure I'll figure something out. Anyway, thanks again for this wonderful tutorial! Couldn't have done it without you.

Hi I read what you wrote in the creating new units a guide for beginners about the British archers substituting the "briton" for "dacia" in the tga part of the entry in descr_model_battle.txt in order to get the lost unit, however in stead all it does is crash the game and send me back to the desktop,

I wrote this britons, data/models_unit/textures/unit_barb_warband_archer_briton.tga

I wondered weather you could help me? is this correct.

I have RTW 1.5 white label edition.

Hi everyone!
    Great tutorial my friend and thank you for posting it!

I want to copy a spartan hoplite unit from a mod to the original rtw and replace the rtw's spartan hoplite.
    I follow the steps of your tutorial plus i deleted the old stuff the spartan hoplite unit is affiliated.

I get this error

" Generic Error

Unable to find skeleton 'fs_fast_o_f_spearman' "

Can anybody help me please?
    Sorry about my bad english, i hope u understood what i want to say
    Thank you!

Edit: i replaced 'fs_fast_o_f_spearman' with "fs_slow_spearman, fs_slow_swordsman" which is the original skeleton fro spartan hoplites.
    It works fine at the campaing map but in battle map all of this unit's soldiers are gold from top to bottom. there is no color (in the mod they are exactcly like the spartans in 300 movie)
    Any advices?

Edit Νο2
    : Problem fixed! I removed the "GLOSS.TGA" file
    Last edited by ThaBuddha187; 07-01-2013 at 16:03.

A bit late to the party, but any chance anyone could help me out? I placed some units from a mod into the vanilla games, works perfectly, however, whenever I place cavalry type units (apart from one which worked), I get that the mouted unit does not exist when trying to start the game? Any ideas? All data is in, the EDU/battle_desc/UI/recruitable, but my game refuses to acknowledge the mounted unit exists... The actual riders exist just not their mounts... very frustrating..

So apparently I'm an idiot and can't figure this out, so is there any way someone can make the Samnite gladiators throw heads before charging for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gambler View Post
    A bit late to the party, but any chance anyone could help me out? I placed some units from a mod into the vanilla games, works perfectly, however, whenever I place cavalry type units (apart from one which worked), I get that the mouted unit does not exist when trying to start the game? Any ideas? All data is in, the EDU/battle_desc/UI/recruitable, but my game refuses to acknowledge the mounted unit exists... The actual riders exist just not their mounts... very frustrating..
    The animal itself needs to be moved over as well, or you could just make them ride something else.

Thumbs up Re: Tutorial: Adding new units for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Kloss View Post
    It probabaly should but whole process needs of adding voices to new units needs to be explained properly as it is not just adding lines to export_descr_sounds_unit_voice.txt
    Hi, its actually not complicated to do that.

Open the export_descr_sounds_unit_voice.txt file, and search for the unit similar to yours (for example, I made a German Chosen Slinger, so I searched Chosen Slinger); then this is the result:

unit barb slinger,barb chosen slinger,greek slinger,greek slinger kestros,roman slinger,german chosen slinger
    event
    folder data/sounds/Voice/Human/Localized/Battle_Map
    Barbarian_General_1_name_barb_slinger_1.wav
    Barbarian_General_1_name_barb_slinger_2.wav
    Barbarian_General_1_name_barb_slinger_3.wav
    group
    end

So at the end of the first line, just add:

,german chosen slinger

And thats all. But if you created a new unit out of scratch, look for a voice close to the unit, i.e. for the spartan royal guard, the voice of the Greek Armoured Hoplite.

Bye, hope this help you as well as the tutorial help me.

Hi guys,

why is that when I clicked on the link (Spartan Royal Guard), it's not found?

Thanks

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567