Thread: Imba centre square in City

Default Imba centre square in City

i'm talking about the square in the middle of a town that your defending or attacking. the square which gives victory to the attacker if he can hold it for 3 mins.

I'm playing the carthaginian campaign now playing on veryhard/medium(read in other threads that on very hard you can get unusually results in battle) and its clear that even when outnumbered 1-4 against an entire roman legion you can still win if you block the chock point leading to the square. In a large city there would be 4 chock points but the enemy would only come through 2. My army consisted of 2groups of spearmen(the one without phalanx), 2 groups of liberian infantry, and 2groups of long shield calvarymen. the roman army consisted of 20full groups of men along with a family member. forgetting the walls. and defending the gate i started by plaing my men in the square at the start of the battle allowing the enemy to take the walls uncontested. 1 group of spearmen blocking each of the 2 chock points the romans would use and 1 group of liberian and calvary as support. waited till i saw 1 of their groups start to waver before sending in my calvary this action broke their spirits and they started running after i moped one of the lanes. i helped the other were i killed their general this made the other group flee and all i had to do was mop them up. total losses. 100+ killed 2.5k. could not get the remaining 300+ as they were 2 close to the walls that they had now conquered.

This method is proven time and time again. only with a larger army. this gives a huge advantage to the defending faction. try this and you will never lose a city again. =)

Default Re: Imba centre square in City

...only assuming an army will assault your city. In my game the enemy is never strong enough or confident enough to assault, and I'm not strong enough to sally. So I get starved out and forced to relieve the city.

Your tactics are sound, but they rely on the enemy making the first move. I prefer to be proactive and hit him before he does me :)

Welcome to the Org, by the way!
    Last edited by pezhetairoi; 08-03-2005 at 01:17.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

forgot to mention that this is only possible in the centre square as there moral of your troops is always at eager. therefore they would not break making them a godlike army.

hmm. what campaign difficulty are you playing. because i'm having a war on 3 fronts against the romans, numidians and the gauls/spainiads at the same time. each time they besiege they end up assaulting. even the numidians with 3groups of infantry + 17groups of calvary in carthage. its really funny as when their siege ram gets destroyed the calvary just stands there till the timer goes off. giving me victory and handing to them heavy casualties. there is something i dont understand. how come when i get a victory the enemy loses more men that i've killed. in the numidian case. i did not manage to kill even one of his calvary but at the battle summary it would show a huge number of losses. is this a bug or was it supposed to happen.

ah, that explains it. :) I'm playing M/M but that's nothing to the purpose. See, the Romans (or any other faction) never have armies strong enough to besiege me AND assault me. 1) I beat their strongest armies in the field so they never get a chance to besiege, and 2) They besiege but the next turn or so (I always have armies around the place) they get nasty things done to them by the enemy, or 3) the only armies that they can use are the weak ones that I don't have time yet to take down, but are not strong enough to assault. Usually on the lines of 5-6 units.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004