View Poll Results: Who is more arrogant?

Voters
55. This poll is closed
  • I am American and I think neither is arrogant.

1 1.82%
  • I am American and I think both are arrogant.

11 20.00%
  • I am American and I think Americans are arrogant and europeans aren't.

1 1.82%
  • I am American and I think Europeans are arrogant and Americans aren't.

4 7.27%
  • I am European and I think neither is arrogant.

2 3.64%
  • I am European and I think both are arrogant.

12 21.82%
  • I am European and I think Americans are arrogant and europeans aren't.

6 10.91%
  • I am Eurpoean and I think Europeans are arrogant and Americans aren't.

4 7.27%
  • Gah!

14 25.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is more Arrogant? Americans or Europeans?

Default Who is more Arrogant? Americans or Europeans?

Who is more arrogant?

I am American and I think neither is arrogant.

I am American and I think both are arrogant.

I am American and I think Americans are arrogant and europeans aren't.

I am American and I think Europeans are arrogant and Americans aren't.

I am European and I think neither is arrogant.

I am European and I think both are arrogant.

I am European and I think Americans are arrogant and europeans aren't.

I am Eurpoean and I think Europeans are arrogant and Americans aren't.

Gah!

Edit: Removed senseless arab bash.
    Last edited by Divinus Arma; 08-02-2005 at 15:45.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Default Re: Who is more Arrogant? Americans or Europeans?

We're both pretty bad. If it was just cultural vainity, France takes the cake. But Americans are pretty culturally vain, too.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Hard to answer. On the one hand they are extremly self-confident ('God's own country', their selfchosen destination to lead the world...) on the other hand they sometimes are rediculous under-confident (all the weapons they carry all the time).

Every American I know is very friendly, not arrogant at all. But as nation they are arrogant.

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

EDIT: After some alterations and conferring with Divinus Arma, this thread is re-opened.

DA assured me that this is a serious question so I expect this one to stay civil (i.e., no US or EU bashing).

I will keep an eye on this one
    Last edited by Ser Clegane; 08-02-2005 at 15:18.

As I was going to write before the confusion:

What is American culture?

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    But Americans are pretty culturally vain, too.
    There are many many different sub-cultures in America, and are unshareed by the rest of the nation.

Right now we have an epidemic of urban gangland cultural influence spreading into fashion, music, and entertainment. On any given day in middle-class suburbia, you may find a 16 year old white boy driving his dad's car and blasting "pop a cap in 5-0, I'll pour out my fourty for my homies" from the speakers.

What is American culture now anyway? Mom, Apple pie, baseball, and muscle cars? Homeownership with little pink houses and a tiny lawn?

We have mexican laborists, asian super students, black doctors, and white trailer trash. We have southern rednecks who still fly the confederate flag, wall street brokers and businessmen, cowboys and cattle drivers.

Is the thanksgiving holiday America? What about christmas and independance day and labor day? Is it the flag or the shape of our borders?

The fact is, America is large and incredibly diverse. We have countless accents and dialects. There is ebonics and spanglish, southern and new jersey, beach babes who say "dude" and "like, totally, or radical".

Is it our eating habits? We have obese and anorexic, alcoholics and teetotals. We have atheists, christians, catholics, hindus, muslims, budhists, and jews.

So if you say the nation is arrogant, who do you mean? Is it "Laquisha" the urban mother on welfare or Bob the auto mechanic?

I will tell you this: we are divided and united all at once. I recongnize that Americans believe in their inherent goodness. Americans do not think they are better than Europe, but equals. We are very much equals, cut from the same cloth. It actually hurts to hear our brothers and sisters overseas call us arrogant. We all share the same vision for the world: peace, prospeity, and freedom. We believe in man's ability and right to self-govern.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

When I mean arrogant, it is of course the policy makers and those who vote for them.

Dismissing the UN without second thought is arrogant, since UN actually mean UNITED NATIONS, america being but one among a world, that is arrogant.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Arrogance is a very difficult term to define.

Does prefering your own way of doing things mean that you view your way as superior? Not necessarily.

What makes 'America'? George W Bush? The average American? The most arrogant American? The average American overseas? The average American as portrayed on television?

This question isn't defined very well, but in the broad sense of which population as a distribution tends to be more arrogant, I'd say there's probably little difference.

Don't forget, many times arrogance is projected... if I hear a European saying "God, I'm glad our schools work the way they do", I might think "How arrogant of them to disrespect our schools" when they didn't mean it in that sense at all.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma
    There are many many different sub-cultures in America, and are unshareed by the rest of the nation.

*snip*

What is American culture now anyway? Mom, Apple pie, baseball, and muscle cars? Homeownership with little pink houses and a tiny lawn?

We have mexican laborists, asian super students, black doctors, and white trailer trash. We have southern rednecks who still fly the confederate flag, wall street brokers and businessmen, cowboys and cattle drivers.

Is the thanksgiving holiday America? What about christmas and independance day and labor day? Is it the flag or the shape of our borders?

The fact is, America is large and incredibly diverse. We have countless accents and dialects. There is ebonics and spanglish, southern and new jersey, beach babes who say "dude" and "like, totally, or radical".

Is it our eating habits? We have obese and anorexic, alcoholics and teetotals. We have atheists, christians, catholics, hindus, muslims, budhists, and jews.

So if you say the nation is arrogant, who do you mean? Is it "Laquisha" the urban mother on welfare or Bob the auto mechanic?
    Sure, we're a melting pot. But we still have a distinct culture. I only agree with you from the perspective of being an American who is on the inside looking out.

From the Big Mac, to WW2, Independence, Right to Bear Arms, Hollywood, Freedom, Wal-Mart, Big Cars, being the most Right Wing population in the world that's mainstream, etc. There are many defining American concepts and intangibles and I can see how we can be percieved as vain or even distinct. Not more than anyone else, but still.

Just because we're diverse doesn't mean we don't have a pretty strong culture. (Not that I think you were disputing this.)

Scandinavian and loving it Member Lazul's Avatar

what a silly poll!
    www.overspun.com

"Freedom without opportunity is a devil's gift."
    --Noam Chomsky

Hmmm... interesting results. I'm starting to see a trend here...

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

What aboot* us Canadian folk? Are we suposed to stay out of this? Do we belong nowhere?

*Yes that was intentional.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Why are we talking about this we all know its the Aussies
    Honstely Allot of pepole feel national pride and dont like other nations simply because of that (ie France America) but if you were to meet a single person from that country chances are you'd like them
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

You're not talking about arrogance SFTS, you're talking about willful ignorance & bigotry, something that I'm afraid is a universally available trait.

Strike for the South

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

If you really want to know whos more arrogant just look at the other poll here .
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Who is more Arrogant? Americans or Europeans?

As in the other poll, I don't feel the need to vote anonymously. I voted:

'I am European and I think Europeans are arrogant and Americans aren't. '

Seems I'm still the only one who voted this. Complacent, ignorant, blissfully oblivious of the fact that some parts of the outside world have telephones and electricity too - yes, that you can accuse many Americans of.

But arrogant in the strictest sense of the word, no. That term seems better reserved to describe your average European.

Americans are willing to learn, they're interested in other people they meet, they adapt. Europeans are far more arrogant, both in a nationalistic sense and in a person-to-person sense.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Default Re: Re : Who is more Arrogant? Americans or Europeans?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis IV the Fat
    As in the other poll, I don't feel the need to vote anonymously. I voted:

'I am European and I think Europeans are arrogant and Americans aren't. '

Seems I'm still the only one who voted this. Complacent, ignorant, blissfully oblivious of the fact that some parts of the outside world have telephones and electricity too - yes, that you can accuse many Americans of.

But arrogant in the strictest sense of the word, no. That term seems better reserved to describe your average European.

Americans are willing to learn, they're interested in other people they meet, they adapt. Europeans are far more arrogant, both in a nationalistic sense and in a person-to-person sense.
    You just voted that way because you saw the hypocricy afoot in the way this poll was going Besides, you're French. It's easy for you to allow for arrogance, it's a virtue over there Just kiddin, I've been saving up a payback I've had for you for a couple of days now and that seemed the perfect spot to toss it in.

Strike for the South

Default Re : Re: Re : Who is more Arrogant? Americans or Europeans?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Besides, you're French. It's easy for you to allow for arrogance, it's a virtue over there
    As a little kid I was really kind, shy and modest.

Then the teachers at school beat that out of me. They were paid by the state to turn me into this nasty, arrogant chauvinistic pig.
    Not everything

I always wondered how you French wind up the way you are. So that scene in Amile' where the boy gets tossed in the trash can is really part of an official discipline proceeding, eh?

Strike for the South

Default Re : Re: Who is more Arrogant? Americans or Europeans?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    So that scene in Amile' where the boy gets tossed in the trash can is really part of an official discipline proceeding, eh?
    Not everything

Blog Entries

In the Caymans there is a large population of both Americans and Europeans (namely British/Australian), Once you get past the politics you can just about sit down with virtually anyone and have a good conversation, all of us aren't that different. On a Political scale, both America and Europe are arrogant.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

We're both arrogant because we rule this ####ing planet and everyone knows it!!! Yea Baby!!!
    RIP Tosa

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

For the purposes of this poll I assumed that Aussies are not Europeans... real estate mantra... location, location, location... we are the Bum Print of the South Pacific just west of the Semi-colon of the South Pacific.

So I voted Gah!
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

On a Political scale, both America and Europe are arrogant.
    Its like asking who is more arrogant conservatives or liberals. The problem comes that when you try to justify your position you come off as well how can I say it? ...........Arrogant.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Its like asking who is more arrogant conservatives or liberals. The problem comes that when you try to justify your position you come off as well how can I say it? ...........Arrogant.
    Not when you're as modest as I am about my greatness...
    RIP Tosa

Europeans in general treat American tourists worse than Americans treat European tourists. I dont even know if thats arrogance though.. more likely just dislike.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Moderately on-topic article I came across:
    http://news.ft.com/cms/s/77868922-02...00e2511c8.html

Of course the Aussies are tops...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Can't really see the point of the thread....
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Quote Originally Posted by JAG
    Can't really see the point of the thread....
    Cry for me baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain
    The problem comes that when you try to justify your position you come off as well how can I say it? ...........Arrogant.
    Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis IV the fat
    I like you already. I've never met a Frenchman who could see the arrogance in France. You betray the Stereotype on every level.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    Europeans in general treat American tourists worse than Americans treat European tourists. I dont even know if thats arrogance though.. more likely just dislike.
    I have heard this. My wife has been to Europe twice, most of it in France. She says that the french will treat tourists like crap unless the tourist speaks french. Luckily she does.

It is the exact opposite in America. If you do not speak English and you need help, Americans will bend over backward to help you find what you need. Unless of course you are hispanic. In that case, most Americans I know will run away from you becasue they think they are about to be robbed, carjacked, or solicitied for a handout.

Quote Originally Posted by strike for the south
    Why are we talking about this we all know its the Aussies
    Aww... You're just saying that because we are, per capita, the greatest sporting nation on earth.

I mean that as humbly as possible.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

What's with all the lame *Who is more dumb/arrogant* threads?

What hapened to the .org I used to love that had only threads bashing religion and debates about abortion?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast