Thread: Major bug in battlemap movement modifiers!

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Exclamation Please move this thread to the Dungeon

I don't know wether this an already known issue, but the movement modifiers do not work at all as they are supposed to:

In descr_battle_movement_modifiers.txt I set:
    Code:
    grass_short		1.0
    rock			0.1
    I did this to test how movement is affected by the modifiers and to my suprise it wasn't affected at all until the unit crosses a "border" between 2 different ground types.

Here are some screenshots:

So what? Well it does lessen the influence of difficult terrain on your battleplans. You notice a bit of rocky ground, expecting it to be more difficult to cross than grassland, or you move your unit along a road, expecting it to arrive more quickly on a destination. None of this is happening with this bug in the code. The tactical depthness is less as groundtypes have little effect on your army.

I hope this can be fixed before BI is released.

Cheers,
    Duke John

p.s. I found this important enough to make a seperate thread as the deadline is coming ever closer and they might miss it if it was the Bug thread. If this totally out of order then feel free to merge it with the Bug thread.
    Last edited by Duke John; 08-03-2005 at 13:01.

aka AggonyAdherbal Member Lord Adherbal's Avatar

Default Re: Major bug in battlemap movement modifiers!

so your saying this happens for all terrain types ? Either way, I agree this is important. Terrain features already offer too few tactical advantages/disadvantages as it is.
    Member of The Lordz Games Studio:
    A new game development studio focusing on historical RTS games of the sword & musket era
    http://www.thelordzgamesstudio.com

Member of The Lordz Modding Collective:
    Creators of Napoleonic Total War I & II
    http://www.thelordz.co.uk

Yes, it happens with all terrain types. The code needs to check wether an unit is on what kind of terrain and apparently it only works when on an area where 2 terrain types meet.

If that means the combat penalties/bonuses in different terrain types suffer from the same bug then this is a very big problem...
    A new game development studio focusing on historical RTS games of the sword & musket era

That would be more difficult to test, but that is possible. Hiding in forest/tall gras does work in the appropiate places, so the code is at least able to tell on which groundtype an unit is, but it somehow goes wrong for movement.

CA UK Design Staff CA Intrepid Sidekick's Avatar

CA Re: Major bug in battlemap movement modifiers!

Hi there Duke,

We just had a look at this to see if we could repeat it here at CA. But we failed to reproduce the effect.

Could you pm me with more info? i.e. Map that you played on, units used to test, terrain types tested on, patch number etc.

It may be that we have already addressed the issue but we would like to be sure of it.

Thank you.

Intrepid Sidekick

P.S This isnt a request for everyone and their monkey to send me a PM or a vast list of bug reports. There is a seperate thread for that elsewhere on these forums. Thank you.
    Intrepid Sidekick
    ~CA UK Design Staff~

'On two occasions, I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answer come out?"
    I am not able to rightly apprehend the confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.'

Mr. C. Babbage - Inventor of the Difference Engine

"They couldn't hit an Elephant at this dist..." Last words of General John Sedgewick, Union General, 1864.

http://www.totalwar.com

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Exclamation Re: Major bug in battlemap movement modifiers!

(I have sent a PM to Intrepid Sidekick.)

The "bug" did not appear in the unmodified version of R:TW 1.2. So it appears the problem lies somewhere in modding other files. I will look into this and post any results here.

CA is off the hook my apalogies for any worries I may have caused

Edit: unless it turns out that this is afterall still caused by a bug in the code it would be better if this thread was moved the modding forums as it no longer applies to original R:TW.
    Last edited by Duke John; 08-03-2005 at 13:03.

The "bug" did not appear in the unmodified version of R:TW 1.2. So it appears the problem lies somewhere in modding other files. I will look into this and post any results here.
    I would've given it a try myself but my comp is in repairs (should have it back today). I hope it doesnt happen in my mod cos I find terrain modifiers rather important for good strategical gameplay.

Was this test ran on grassy flatland ? I ask this because that map is a bit weird. For example there is a patch of terrain near the bottom of the map were units can hide even tho there is no forest visible (and the units did not have the "hide_anywere" or "hide_in_long_grass" attributes).