Thread: Are the Olympics that important?

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Default Are the Olympics that important?

Check out this story...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...31/wfran31.xml

Sounds like the French are taking not getting to host the Olympics a little hard. From what I understand, most cities that have hosted has lost money. I remember when Atlanta hosted it and the city lost money. So are the French this distraught and for good reason? Looking for an European prospective...
    RIP Tosa

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default Re: Are the Olympics that important?

That's funny, Jag swears everything the French government does is perfect and the rest of the world needs to emulate them. He couldn't be WRONG now, could he?

It sounds like the guy is trying to give a 'snap out of it' speech to his countrymen. I don't know enough about France's economic growth propsects to comment on how necessary that truly is, but I will say a sharp self-rebuke never hurt anyone, even if it was more than necessary.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Hey, by the way, self-criticism is always easier when done in company. Wanna know the US's dirty little secret? Consumer debt! You heard about how it was the consumers of this country that jumpstarted the economy out of recession? Well some of that was from taxcuts, that was true. But take a look at the debt the average American household has taken on in the past 5 years.

In the spirit of Monsieur Lévy, let me exhort my countrymen to slow down, and quit spending money like a bunch of drunken sailors. Sooner or later, interest rates are going to take an upswing, then we're all screwed. Pay your credit cards off, then go buy yourself something. Wait, donate to a famine relief organization, pay your credit cards off, then go buy yourself something!!!!

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Our hosting of the 2000 Olympics was one of the best things to happen to Sydney. Our tourism trade has benefited enormously, now that people realise what a beautiful area it is. It was just good for raising global awareness of Sydney in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Hey, by the way, self-criticism is always easier when done in company. Wanna know the US's dirty little secret? Consumer debt! You heard about how it was the consumers of this country that jumpstarted the economy out of recession? Well some of that was from taxcuts, that was true. But take a look at the debt the average American household has taken on in the past 5 years.

In the spirit of Monsieur Lévy, let me exhort my countrymen to slow down, and quit spending money like a bunch of drunken sailors. Sooner or later, interest rates are going to take an upswing, then we're all screwed. Pay your credit cards off, then go buy yourself something. Wait, donate to a famine relief organization, pay your credit cards off, then go buy yourself something!!!!
    Amen to that... It is so entrenched in our culture to borrow, borrow, then borrow some more. One day we'll have to pay...

But atleast we're not French!!! Just a joke my oversensitive Euro-buddies out there
    RIP Tosa

Altogether quite not there! Member GodsPetMonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    It's the same in most 1st world countries. I know a few years back the average Australian owed over 2 times what they earned, whilst in the mid 80's it was 0.5 times what they earned! Debt makes the world go 'round

Quote Originally Posted by Roark
    Our hosting of the 2000 Olympics was one of the best things to happen to Sydney. Our tourism trade has benefited enormously, now that people realise what a beautiful area it is. It was just good for raising global awareness of Sydney in general.
    Despite the fact that the games at the time were a net loss (and a major drain on public funds). If you look in the short term, that is, up to and while the games are running, it seems that they are not worth the effort, but the exposure Sydney gained was tremendous! If the same could be said of Athens or London, well, I just don't know, but it's the residual effects that they are after, which could last for 10 years or more!
    Caligula and Hadrian - Unit and Building editors for Rome: Total War.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

We hosted the 2002 winter games, made about $100 million, had a big party, and got to keep some nice venues.

I got to work on the Olympic Torch Run, met some great people and had a blast

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

That's funny, Jag swears everything the French government does is perfect and the rest of the world needs to emulate them. He couldn't be WRONG now, could he?
    I do?! :O News to me.

I have stated here how when people talk of the French economy they never highlight the positives and that it is not all bad, sure. But state everything France does is perfect.. Nope. Like many countries it has positives and negatives, indeed much like mine and yours.

As for the article, France seems to be having a bit of a hard time of late, I am sure it will turn around soon.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

The President of one of the world's biggest advertising agencies has issued a damning state-of-the-nation assessment that describes France as being in steep decline and his countrymen as "narrowed and stunted".

Hilare!!

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

JAG, did you even read the article? In the seemingly more than probable case that you did not, here are some excerpts:

Quote Originally Posted by article
    "What I wrote was hard, but true. France is not in a crisis, it's worse than that. A crisis is usually sudden and short, while we are in an endemic situation,"
    Quote Originally Posted by article again
    "We have narrowed and stunted ourselves and we paint ourselves as losers, and no one wants to be among the losers. It's time we opened our eyes wide, took an icy shower and looked reality in the face: we are in decline, going down a slippery slope.

"The Ministry of Economy, Finance and Industry has reminded us of our [public] debt and the fact that we are living beyond our means. We knew the figures, yet no government for the last 20 years has wanted to draw a conclusion from them. The figures that attest to our decline are known to all."
    Quote Originally Posted by article yet again
    Later, when it was necessary, alas, to make redundancies, the compensation was set at 90 per cent, therefore allowing those made redundant to earn yet more without working. Why in that case, make any effort to find a job? In doing this, trying to avoid any difficulties for them, we have turned the French into children.
    Quote Originally Posted by still the article
    The final straw has to be the absurd decision to introduce the 35-hour working week when we were told repeatedly that we could work less and earn more. How on earth in this context can we expect the same French people to accept necessary reforms?
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG, in denial
    I do?! :O News to me.
    Oh, really JAG. Every chance you get you rave on about the great social system France has, their great economy and safety nets and easy, high paid jobs. The article says there aren't many, if any, positives.

And its not going to turn around if changes aren't made. That was the whole point of the article, by a man who heads one of the best companies in France. This is not a little fluke, this is the inevitable effect of the policies France has implemented.

Crazed Rabbit
    Last edited by Crazed Rabbit; 08-03-2005 at 18:01. Reason: I am not Jewish
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

The loss of the Olympic games is surely a symptom of France's recent downturn rather than a cause of. At the moment, France just lacks a place in the world and has a rather poor public image, which naturally the head of an advertising agency would pick up on. It has no real raison d'être.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Your right Al, I haven't watch the Olympics since a kid. Now that they have "curdling" (sp?) and got rid of baseball, I'll watch even less...
    I just do not understand the need to host one of these things...
    RIP Tosa

Blog Entries

I'd like to go to one, just for fun. But it appears, with the removal of baseball and another sport played widely in America, that the Olympic commitee wants to stick it to the Americans.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

I don't see the point of having baseball or basketball or tennis etc. Olympics is more about the gymnastics, swimming and track and field to me.

I dont see any point in the modern ''olympics''. They dont have any relation to the actual spirit of the ancient ones, rather they are a game of international companies and chemical pumped up athletes. Fake smiles, fake promises for future peace and bla bla bla, but nothing in essence. And thats a Greek saying that.
    μηνιν αειδε θεα Πηληιαδεω Αχιληοs ουλομενην

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    I'd like to go to one, just for fun. But it appears, with the removal of baseball and another sport played widely in America, that the Olympic commitee wants to stick it to the Americans.

Crazed Rabbit
    The reason they quit having baseball wasn't to stick it to Americans. It was because American baseball players, unlike basketball, wouldn't go.

Strike for the South

I dont see any point in the modern ''olympics''. They dont have any relation to the actual spirit of the ancient ones, rather they are a game of international companies and chemical pumped up athletes. Fake smiles, fake promises for future peace and bla bla bla, but nothing in essence. And thats a Greek saying that.
    I would love to see some traditional events make a come-back. Can you imagine a greater spectacle than a chariot race? No one alive today has seen one of these.

The reason for them wanting the removal of baseball and softball?

Softball Gold Medal Winners:
    1996 - USA
    2000 - USA
    2004 - USA

Baseball Gold Medal Winners:
    1992 - Cuba
    1996 - Cuba
    2000 - USA (no Cuban team)
    2004 - Cuba

Baseball is boring. The clue is in the fact that 'The World Series' only contains American teams.

baseball and cricket are boring, that's a fact. Now, football, that's action packed.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

yes, real football. The game where you use your feet to kick the ball around. Not the petty american version of football, where you in fact use the hands...
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave
    Your right Al, I haven't watch the Olympics since a kid. Now that they have "curdling" (sp?) and got rid of baseball, I'll watch even less...
    I just do not understand the need to host one of these things...
    well curling certainly didn't make the Olympics more exiting , but it didn't stop me watching the olympics though.
    I just watch the swimming and the running / sprinting parts.

I can imagine that being the center of attention for the duration of the Olympics would be very good for that country / city.
    lot's of tourist and lot's of media attention.

Last edited by Dutch_guy; 08-05-2005 at 14:12.
    I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Way I heard it France was close in the running with London but still slightly ahead when Chirac suffered from an outbreak of foot-in-mouth disease and thus cost his country a few crucial votes.

Let's be honest now... does anyone actually like Chirac? And I mean ANYONE.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Khalifah
    Let's be honest now... does anyone actually like Chirac? And I mean ANYONE.
    My grandmother did but as she died last year i'm not sure there is still anyone.

Blog Entries

Soccer is the best sport in the world!

I agree that the Olympics should probably focus more on individual athletes than team sports.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Rugby must be in the 2012 Olympics! And I want full rugby, not VII's, I want full Rugby Union hell. The only problem is that as Team GB we be we'd have to water down the world champions again with the Welsh and the Scots.

Olympics is important. Sport is something we need to embrace. It's good for everyone....