Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: country life vs city life

Default country life vs city life

I think living in the country is better for a few reasons.

in the city

I had to go to a city recently and it was ugly and dirty. I got to take a nice stroll through gang territory and was to told to to "go home whitey" by the locals. Some guy tried to sell me counterfeit tickets to a base ball game (you could tell they were printed off a computer) And the place just looked trashy.

In the country

In the country you can go target shooting and hunting. It is cleaner and I have never seen many "gangstas" while here. The people are much friendlier. There is less noise. There are more fun things to do.(in my opinion)

what do you think ????
    Formerly ceasar010

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: country life vs city life

I sortve live right where the city ends and country begins and it is much better (the country) People are nicer you can light fireworks and they have the best food anywhere
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

I dont see how anyone would want to live in a city. They are horrible
    Formerly ceasar010

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Personally, the city isn't for me, and I prefer suburbia.

But I can see plenty of reasons someone might want to live in a city as opposed to the middle of Cornville, Nowhere.

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

I much prefer living in the country, but that isn't much of an option for most professional careers. So I live in the city, and vacation in the country, going home when I can. And of course, I will retire back home to the country.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

country boy in the city, it drives me crazy.

You shouldnt be so negative about cities Ceasar. You just have to keep out of the trashy low class areas.

I work in a big city and there are plenty of good things about the upper class areas. There are great museums, cinemas, stores, and other fun things to do. Theres convinience, jobs, and a whole lot of potential friends to meet.

I also love the country where you can hunt, fish and enjoy the outdoors..

Point is, there are pros and cons to both - but I think you somehow wound up in a slum and nothing fun goes down there.

I live on the country, but wouldn`t mind live more urban. Perhaps not in the middle of a city, but a suburban location sounds good.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

what's the definition between country and city?

I live in a city with 20,000 inhabitants, however, that city is sorrounded by forest and the sea, all over the place. So I wouldnt know what to class that.

However, im moving to a bigger city 500,000 inhabitants to study in univeristy. But the nearest forest isnt far away, and a fjord is near it as well.

I like both, city is cool, because a lot is going on, you can go drinking and partying all the time. But I wouldnt miss nature.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

Well, i live in the Isle of Man, we have one city and that is the smallest city in the WORLD. Our capital city (douglas) isnt actually a city and most of us manxmen live in the country anyway. The town i live in (castletown) is beautiful, and i live right on the edge, so i can go for a sea cliff side walk everyday, its great.

p.s and i live right next to the Southern 100 race course AND one of the manx rally courses. i am soooo luckier than you.
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

It depends on what you mean by "country". If we are talking about Europe, I'de rather live in a small town for sure, if we are talking about N.America I would stay as far away from those lame, boring places as possible.

What's the big deal about the wilderness and all that. All you need is a car and in 20 minutes you're there! You don't need to be able walk there to enjoy it!

I live in the city and I don't see any gangstas anywhere. I'm sure there's some but I don't go to those types of places where you find them. Luckily though my city is very crime free compared to hell holes like LA and NY.

Caged for your safety Member RabidGibbon's Avatar

Well, I live 20 minutes train ride from the country and although I like to visit I wouldn't want to live there.

Or maybe I'd like to live there if it had a quck rail link to the city centre (or if I got off my ass and learnt to drive) - in fact I can think of a few nice little towns that might do.

But at the moment I'm quite happy living in suburbia, even though I was born in real middle of nowhere country.

Posted by Ceaser010

In the country you can go target shooting and hunting.
    Surely you can do that in the city if your gangsta man!

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

i live in the craziest neighbourhood of my country. atleast the goverment says. you got police patrolling every 30 minutes. but i live there, and i nevver have serious troubles. everything is quite nice, a healthy fight once in a while. but no guns and knifs and stuff. though, i do know a few people that got shot, but he they did drugs (apart from 2, one was normal hard working man, the other sold illegal clothes)

We do not sow.

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Well, I do love my camping and outdoor activities, but the metrosexual in me just loves city life. Tonight I'm doing Bikram yoga then going out for sushi (that one's for you PJ, I know you're rolling your eyes right now ), and you just can't do that kind of stuff out in the bush. Not to mention that my career choice pretty much dictates living in an urban center.

Damn, I'm late for my afternoon latté...
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Come on goof come to the country and eat some rabbit (its better if you buy it from the pet store though, the meats more tender)
    Formerly ceasar010

I prefer living in the city, so I do the closest thing I can (in Norway).
    I went to the country once, and it was so dirty!

I have heard rumours they even have dirt roads
    I'm gonna have to move to the country soon though, as my family needs more space for baby, home cinema etc , and I can't afford that kind of space in central parts of Oslo.
    Unfortunately my kid may end up narrowminded and bigoted due to influence from the uniformly uniform & narrowminded bigotry of the simple peasants who live outside the civilised oases called cities.
    Sono Pazzi Questi Romani
    Paul Peru: Holier than thy bucket!

Well, in praise of the city...

I live in Brixton in London. inside half an hours walk i have theatres, cinemas, both multiplex and arthouse, library, bookshops, cafes galore, market stalls with any ethnic food you could name, nightclubs, bars, pubs, restaurants, yoga centres, a park big enough to hold festivals in, comedy nights, squash courts, swimming pools.

Now i'm not saying city life is better, just that for those that like these options, its good.

Also, i live in a vibrant multicultrual area of the city. you have all shapes and sizes, all colours and eye shapes. And its great.
    Last edited by mystic brew; 08-03-2005 at 22:11.

You seem like a snob and a bigot. peru

Moderator note: Be extremely careful slinging accusations here. I believe that Member was being ironic.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 08-03-2005 at 22:39.
    Formerly ceasar010

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Peru
    I have heard rumours they even have dirt roads
    Well do we have bad roads, but that was to exaggerate!

The goverment just don`t seem to care about our roads.
    Last edited by Viking; 08-03-2005 at 22:15.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Never lived in the country. If we are talking about Ohio, then I would definitly choose city. The country in Ohio is just boring...cornfield...cornfield...cornfield...cornfield...oh look, cows! In another state maybe it would be different, I do enjoy the outdoors.

The city is where the good schools are going to be.
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 08-03-2005 at 22:17.

agitated Member master of the puppets's Avatar
    where destruction lay around me from a fight i could not win

Talking Re: country life vs city life

i live and breath the country.

we live in mid jersey and in the most beautiful area. my family owns 7 acres of land, a 1 acre lake stocked with fish, 2 acres of forest and lots of open land dotted with pine and black walnut, we own 3 boats and plenty of bikes. but we are far from rich. our taxes are through the roof but we live in the riches single county in the U.S. i go to a high-school thats in the top 20th in the u.s. and am less than an hour from Rutgers college.

and for some reason i still hate my life...go figure
    A nation of sheep will beget a a government of wolves. Edward R. Murrow

Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. —1 John 2:9

I never liked country life that much. No cable, wierd phones that you could answer cause they weren't for you, dirt tracks, coyotes. Not fun. It's probably my civic upbringing though. The biggest difference to a preference of country to city life is whether you can operate a car, in north america any way.

I live in a suburb of Halifax called upper Sackville and it's hell, cause I don't drive. Sure it's only a 15 minute bus ride to lower Sackville (and an hour's bus ride to the city proper) but you need to catch it and it only comes once an hour. My house in fact is just inside the practical walking distance for the bus stop (1 km).
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Urban environments provide lots of opportunities to discover different things, from museums to weird stores to weird people. In the country people tend to be a bit more narrowminded, at least on the surface.

On the other hand, kids can play outside in the country, it's generally a safer place, it looks better, and you can get a bigger house.

I'm a suburban person myself and I guess I always will be, seeing as how Flanders mostly is one big subarban region. Suburbs provide relatively easy access to all the benefits of the city, while offering some of the benefits of the country (bigger houses, less crime).
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

How are country people narrow minded
    Formerly ceasar010

I am currently languishing in a suburb of a large mid-Western city and it is shit.

I long to be at home, bouncing around the hills, playing by/in/on the sea. I miss being able to walk to small local shops rather than having to drive to a huge soulless supermarket. I miss nice friendly neighbourhood pubs. I miss that feeling of satisfied "this-is-home"ness. I miss being able to get things cheap from farmers, fishermen etc. I miss drinking with my friends in the middle of nowhere with a big fire going. And a whole bunch of other things, especially my family.

Blog Entries

hmmm depends on the place. I can't stand tiny towns. If I were to EVER live in a big city it would probably be Seattle, just because I love it there. I do tend to enjoy suburbia a bit more, where I live now the population is just about perfect (about 49,000 people).

I dont get why any one would live in a city your life expectancy goes down a few years from all the pollution.
    Formerly ceasar010

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Although the women, food and conveniences of the city are indisputable, there is nothing city life can offer that cannot be erased from your memory by the first week in a cabin in the woods with a good dog. Splitting firewood, swimming in the lake, drinking whisky at night on the porch and not a light or a sound anywhere, breakfast on the wood stove in winter, farting around in the woods with the dog, the city cannot compare in any way.

But the food and the women in the city really are good though.
    Unto each good man a good dog

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Sorry Beirut-sama, but this was too good an oppourtunity to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    Although the women, food and conveniences of the city are indisputable, there is nothing city life can offer that cannot be erased from your memory by the first week in a cabin in the woods with a good dog. Splitting firewood, swimming in the lake, drinking whisky at night on the porch and not a light or a sound anywhere, breakfast on the wood stove in winter, farting around in the woods with the dog, the city cannot compare in any way.

But the food and the women in the city really are good though.

Then how mass media makes sound bites & how too often we misquote others at the org.:

Quote Originally Posted by Use Tony Blairs voice and spacing of words
    Although the women ... are indisputable, there is nothing ... that cannot be erased from your memory by the first week in a cabin in the woods with a good dog. Splitting ... the dog...are good
    Last edited by Papewaio; 08-04-2005 at 02:04.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

I've always lived in the city, and I can't really imagine not doing so. However, I do love the country, and I'm sure that if I spent enough time there I'd get used to it. I think that both have their good points-with the city, you have lots of people to meet-I feel this is an important point, and the best thing about cities. They also have better amenities. Cities lack the intimacy of a small country town though, although if you reside in a good neigbourhood, this isn't really a problem.

The bottom line, I think, is that it's the people that make a place. If you have lots of good friends, wherever you live, you're going to enjoy it.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast