Poll: Do you like this idea?

Thread: An idea I just had about battles, alliences and treachery

Default An idea I just had about battles, alliences and treachery

Well, here goes....

I was playing rtr the other day, and i got into a battle with me and the armenians vs a rebel town, the trouble being that since the armeniens initiated the siege/assault they'd capture the town despite me outnumbering them 2 to one.

So what i thought would be a good idea is if you could order an attack on your allies units during a siege, and, if you destroyed the entire army with <10 survivors, your dipliomatic status doesn't change, as you can swear that "they did it".

In particular i like the idea of backstabbing an ally in a battle to remove their best army and thus gain the advantage in the war to come.

Ideas/flames?
    Last edited by sapi; 08-07-2005 at 01:50.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Default Re: An idea I just had about battles, alliences and treachery

People, i'm sorry for the double post but i have no choice - the post above isn't showing up in full
    This is what it should say
    Well, here goes....
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

It was a feature in both MTW and STW, but I beleive it has been taken out in RTW. Mainly due to the fact is was an exploit against the A.I. Really not a needed feature but was quite fun the one time I used it.

Hojo and I made a nice Takeda sandwich. Eliminating 2 daimyos at once, can't beat that.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I like the idea, but the AI is not complex enough to use it to it's advantage or to counter this tactic by being suspicious of further contact with you.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

The real problem is the AI isn't good enough to eliminate enough of your guys to do it, even if it wanted to.

Yes, it would be nice if the ai could wait until my army was lined up entering a city for example, trapped on the defenders and charged me from behind, but it just lacks the 'initiative' to do it.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

The traitor feature in M:TW was great. I remember when I used it to great effect in an offensive bridge battle. My ally had a nearly full stack, my opponent had around 15 units, and I had 4 spearmen and 1 cavalry unit. My ally quickly sent over most of his force, including three heirs and their king, and all were soon killed by the enemy, but in return the enemy lost 80 percent of their men and were out of trebuchet and archer ammo when I decided to move forward and block my side of the bridge with the lousy spearmen of lowest quality, and charged in with my low-quality cavalry. I timed it well, near the death of the allied king, and my ally got a chain rout almost immediately, and over 80 percent of their force was slaughtered. The enemy on the other side of the river had, by keeping their only really intact unit in front of the enemy i backstabbed, prevented my allies from running to safety on the other side of the bridge, but in doing so had taken even more casualties and I only had to move half the way over the bridge for the remaining troops to break and run. Great days... In R:TW, I've never ever even gotten the chance to play a battle together with an ally, and only once have I played a battle with two allied enemies vs me.

Those big battles were one of the best parts of M:TW. I can still remember when Hungarian and Turkish troops both attacked my force in Constantinople the same year, also that a great battle...
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Member Member swirly_the_toilet_fish's Avatar

Due to my extensive unit stat altercations I have often ended up allied with Macedonian (RTW) who are fighting a losing war against the Greeks. Now, the Greeks offered me a number of times to side with them for the temporary ceasefire, and upon clearing their checks I do. However, when they start the war again I side with Macedonian and thus come to their rescue. It acts the same way but using diplomacy. While the Greeks ravage Macedonian, I come to the rescue and plunder the Greeks, then become their allies and do it all over again.

Very profitable and very easy to control, even on H/H.
    "If I were a man I could do so much - travel the stars, learn to play the harp, conquer a foreign country and become a frustrated cartoonist."