Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum - The Unofficial Late Period Project

Default Europa Barbarorum - The Unofficial Late Period Project

Latest release
    Alpha version v0.2
    Incorporating the new names and descr_strat changes made by paullus

Old releasesAlpha version v0.1

An alpha version is an internal team release - it is pre-beta version and is released only in order to help development, not to be properly playable.

It installs as a provincial campaign (it's a bit stripped down to keep the file size down).

It does overwrite some base files - however you can still play the EB 0.74 version Imperial Campaign. Still I would advise you to use JGSME Mod Enabler.

The most notable CTD is that you have to reload your game in between campaigns. If you don't, when you activate the script in the second campaign of a load then it will CTD.

The campaign script also doesn't seem to be always terminating. The campaign script is quite long so be prepared for the game to hang for a while with a full loading bar when starting a new campaign. It's busy placing a load of reform buildings.

Europa Barbarorum - The Unofficial Late Period Project

I know that, as a moderator on the Modding forums, one of the first questions I’m going to be asked about EB when the beta’s released is “I want to use all the great post-Marian units in EB right at the start, tell me what I need to do!”

But, instead of producing some half-arsed, ahistorical travesty that will plonk a load of post-Marian legionaries at the beginning of the third century BC, I want to be able to offer them something better: a new campaign, beginning at the Marian Reforms, which is historically authentic as we can make it. An expansion that would be worthy of all the painstaking effort and time the team has taken into making EB has authentic as possible.

The Unofficial Late Period project (otherwise known as the ULP!) is – as its name suggests – going to be completely unofficial and developed entirely separately from EB. EB members will be more than welcome to help it along, but this will be a project made by the fans, for the fans.

So what’s the plan?
    Though the mod isn’t released yet, what we can start doing right now is collecting the historical information that we’ll need to do it justice. We need to know, as best as we can find out, are the territorial boundaries of each of the EB factions at the new start date, the disposition of their troops as well as the names and characters of the factions most important leaders, so we can represent them on the map.

All the models and everything else will already be in there, the map itself, geographically will stay the same, all we will focus on doing is finding out for the initial release is which provinces need to be allocated to which faction.

To help us out with this, we’ll use the map done by Teleklos Archelaou so you can draw suggested boundaries.

If we have all the info we need together for when EB is released, we can start with the actual modding and have an initial version of the Marius Campaign out within a couple of weeks.

After that, if there’s interest to go on, there are loads of ways we can delve even further into the period and try to make things even more authentic.

Sounds great, how can I help?
    Unlike most mods, we have all the modding knowledge we need. What we really need are people who are dedicated to historical authenticity, especially those who know or are willing to find out the state of the world at the point of the Marian Reforms. We’ve chosen 107BC as our probationary start date, the year of Gaius Marius’ first consulship.

So, as at 107BC, we need to know what the status of the peoples that these EB factions represent (those that have been so far previewed):
    Seleukid
    Ptolomeioi
    Baktria
    Makedon
    Pontos
    Karthadastim
    Iberia
    Sauromatae
    Casse
    Aedui
    Sweboz
    Romans (not previewed, but I think they’re a safe assumption!)

As far as we can, we’re going to be using exactly the same historical discipline as the EB team, so if you want to help out you must read the following note on sources:
    A note on sources
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=41714

Wouldn’t it make more sense to wait until the open beta was released?
    The more info we get now, the quicker we’ll be able to release something once the beta does come out. After all, EB started months before RTW was released, why should we be any different?
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 05-02-2006 at 00:08.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

graduated non-expert Member jerby's Avatar

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum - The Unofficial Late Period Project

EB ULP? E BULP? EBULP? sounds great, but it's a little early. I'd like to start playing EB as EB, before the sidemods come in. and perhaps, when EB is 'finished' (perfectionist's as they are) they might even help you out..

Sounds very good. The campaign could later be expanded into the imperial era, with using the "marian" reforms trigger to change between late republican and imperial units.

I hope work on this will project be less secret, so that everyone can give input or little help.

Yep, this will be entirely developed on the public forum. All that help is needed with is the historical research - and there's nothing secret about history, it's the same for everyone!

Once EB is actually released, the modding should really be very straightforward.
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

dictator by the people Member caesar44's Avatar

Smile Re: Europa Barbarorum - The Unofficial Late Period Project

[QUOTE=Epistolary

So, as at 107BC, we need to know what the status of the peoples that these EB factions represent (those that have been so far previewed):
    Seleukid
    Ptolomeioi
    Baktria
    Makedon
    Pontos
    Karthadastim
    Iberia
    Sauromatae
    Casse
    Aedui
    Sweboz
    Romans (not previewed, but I think they’re a safe assumption!)

For the start , and just for the start , in 107 bce the is no Makedon (since 168 bce) , and no Karthadastim (since 146 , thank EB for deleting "Tsorim") . You do have the kingdom of Numidia (under king Iugortha) and the Cimbric and Teotonic tribes (Germanic) , and of course , much more (later) .
    "The essence of philosophy is to ask the eternal question that has no answer" (Aristotel) . "Yes !!!" (me) .

"Its time we stop worrying, and get angry you know? But not angry and pick up a gun, but angry and open our minds." (Tupac Amaru Shakur)

Yeah, it's a good idea to start off by working out which factions still exist in 107BC.

Still in existence:
    Romans - obviously

Ptolomeioi - having dynastic disputes but still a force to be reckoned with

Iberia - in that this faction represents a variety of Iberian tribes, who most definitely still existed

Aedui - would afterwards become Caesar's allies in his Gallic wars

Baktria - something of a questionable case here, Baktra had been abandoned in around 125BC, but there were still Indo-Greek kingdoms in place

Pontos - not annexed by Pompey until 64BC

Sauromatae - these nomadic tribes still prevalent

Seleukid - much humbled but still not annexed by Pompey until 63BC

Casse - I believe they still existed and with extended territories on the British mainland

Sweboz - most definitely in existence in this period

Destroyed
    Karthadastim - city razed in 146BC by Scipio Africanus Minor

Makedon - Perseus lost the Third Macedonian War in 168BC and the place had become a Roman province by 146BC

Koinon Hellenon - pretty much all Greece was under Roman rule or heavily dependent Roman allies by 107BC
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 08-08-2005 at 00:42.

Some thoughts on territory of the Successors:

Baktria
    Again, while not exact - the Indo-Greek kingdom under Antialcidas could be the closest successor. Possible starting area: Ghandhara, Paropamisadai and Arachosia

Seleukid
    Leader: Antiochus VIII. Possible starting area: Syria, Syria Koile, Phoenicia

Ptolomeioi
    Leader: Ptolemy X Alexander I. Possible starting area: similar to the EB start date but without the Palestinian territories
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 08-07-2005 at 22:09.

Egomaniac sexpert Member Dux Corvanus's Avatar

Iberia

In 107 BC, all the peninsula was under Roman control, and all Iberian tribes submited, except Asturians and Cantabrians. August conquered them in 19 BC, after a fierce ten-year war.

BTW, this map texts are wrong, where it says "till 154 BC" should say "till 29 BC", and viceversa.

Although they're my main focus of interest, and I'd love it, maybe the Asturian-Cantabrian tribes don't deserve a full faction themselves.

Unless you want to reflect the Marius vs Sulla civil wars, in which case, Hispania -this is, ancient Iberia- should be under control of Marius-Sertorius Roman faction -except the northern tribes mentioned.
    Last edited by Dux Corvanus; 08-07-2005 at 17:11.

Dungalloigh Brehonda Member Ranika's Avatar

At this time, the Casse had wrung submission from the Dumnones and their ancillary tribes (with the possible exception of the Dobunnes), and from the tribes of Cambria (Wales) and the confederacy inhabiting most of the midlands. The Brigantes, Parisi, and everyone north of them were still indepedent. Their control of the region would fall apart in the coming years, but it seems to have been the extended height of their control; if possible, all the provinces except their capitol should be somewhat likely to rebel, and armies would start out a bit spread thin from war.
    Ní dheachaigh fial ariamh go hIfreann.

Thanks very much to both of you.

Iberia
    Looks like Iberia will start off with two provinces: Asturica and Cantabria. Replacing old factions with new ones is beyond the scope of this project at the moment so it looks like the Asturian-Cantabrian tribes will be the standard-bearers for a liberated Iberia. We should probably try to include the later Luisitania revolt as well that may add to their numbers. Any idea of the names of Asturian-Cantabrian tribal leaders in 107BC? My own browsing is drawing up a blank.

Casse
    Sounds like they should probably start off with: Cassemor, Cornovae, Cymriae & Corieltauvae and a leader called Morganorix?
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 08-07-2005 at 22:23.

Roman Republic

A stab at Roman provinces:
    Pergamon in Asia Minor (Mysia, Lydia, Phrygia, Karia?)
    All of Iberia except Asturica and Cantabria
    Volcallra and Greseoallra
    All the Italian peninsula up to the Alps
    Illyria, though pressed by Germanic tribes
    Makedonia and south for the Greek peninsula
    Sicily, Corsia, Sardinia, Balerics, Euboia, Lesbos, possibly Rhodes as well
    Zeugitana, Byzacena – N African provinces under pressure from Jurgutha

Pontos
    Paphlagonia
    Kappadokia Pontika
    Pontos Paralios
    Leader: Mithridates VI
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 08-10-2005 at 10:23.

Egomaniac sexpert Member Dux Corvanus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Epistolary Richard
    Any idea of the names of Asturian-Cantabrian tribal leaders in 107BC? My own browsing is drawing up a blank.
    Unfortunately, sources are very scarce about those early times. But I can give you two names of the 27-19BC Cantabrian Wars:

Laro - a gigantic military leader famous for his skills with the small bipenne double-axe.

Corocotta - a rebel chieftain famous because he went to a Roman outpost and asked the reward that Romans gave for his head, narrowly escaping after.

You guys want a blank map, or rather one without terrain but with province names so you can fill the borders in with your starting positions? If you have one already ER, just let me know, but if you want one feel free to ask and I'll shoot a .gif your way.

That would be great, Teleklos. Currently I was putting something together in Paint, which give a summary, but is nevertheless not particularly impressive

Also, a guess at the Sauromatae, this is mainly based on the details given in the Preview, and so this seems a reasonable expansion, if perhaps falling a little short in the West. I don't know, however, if there were offsetting territorial losses in the East to the tribes being displaced by the Xiongnu.

Sauromatae
    Bastarnolandam
    Skythia
    Nurije
    Budinije
    Dahyu Yazyga
    Maeotis
    Dahyu Siraca
    Dahyua Roxsalanna
    Dahya Aursa
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 08-10-2005 at 17:22.

Ashes to ashes. Funk to funky. Member Angadil's Avatar

Also, a guess at the Sauromatae, this is mainly based on the details given in the Preview, and so this seems a reasonable expansion, if perhaps falling a little short in the West. I don't know, however, if there were offsetting territorial losses in the East to the tribes being displaced by the Xiongnu.

Sauromatae
    Bastarnolandam
    Skythia
    Nurije
    Budinije
    Dahyu Yazyga
    Maeotis
    Dahyu Siraca
    Dahyua Roxsalanna
    Dahya Aursa
    Almost, just remove Bastarnolandam and Nurije and add Mykra Skythia and you got it. The final westward thrust that would bring Sarmatians into modern Hungary was still a bit later. They did keep their eastern provinces at this time.
    Last edited by Angadil; 08-09-2005 at 12:11.
    Europa Barbarorum. Giving history a chance.

Casse
    Sounds like they should probably start off with: Cassemor, Cornovae, Cymriae & Corieltauvae and a leader called Morganorix?
    Sounds a little Gallic. Morganores, perhaps? I don't quite remember the appropriate equivalent of the Gallic "rix" in this case.

This looks like a great idea, although its similar to something the TFT guys are doing, this uses EB and it looks very promising. good luck

In my mind there's not a great deal of comparison with TFT to be honest. It's a similar time period, the basic 'game-world' will be along the same lines because the history is the same for everyone, but the TFT guys have produced some really great stuff to immerse the player within a very specific character within a very specific scenario. As a result of that they are really using the RTW engine to its best advantage in producing colourful provincial campaigns that present a very different gaming experience to the vanilla open-ended approach.

This project, as I said, doesn't really compare. It's just a quick'n'dirty way of allowing players to use the later period troops from the beginning with as much historical authenticity as we can pack into simply rearranging characters and starting positions.

Should things take off, then there may be a few other bells and whistles, and maybe further down the road a team with the quality of TFT will use EB as their basic game system for their own ideas for provincial adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonGod
    Sounds a little Gallic. Morganores, perhaps? I don't quite remember the appropriate equivalent of the Gallic "rix" in this case.
    It should sound Gallic; the Casses (and Catuvellanians) spoke a Gallic originated continental Celtic language, not the midlander P-Celt stuff.

Many thanks, Angadil. I've cleaned up the map, corrected the Sauromatae and added preliminary guesses at a couple more factions:

Aedui
    Around this period, the Aedui were Roman allies (though they didn't always stay that way), even sending a mission to Rome around 70BC to ask for help against Ariovistus. Though they were subsequently subjgated by the Suebi after the Romans refused to intervene, at 107BC they were still influential and had benefitted from other Gallic tribes opposition to Rome. I figure a reasonable starting point would be to assume that they've retained the lands/influence of the EB period - less those provinces now taken by the Romans. It's likely that they will start as allied to Rome.

Sweboz
    Ariovistus crossed the Rhine in 71BC, so it seems fair that the Sweboz would have either occupied or had great influence over Vindelicos to the east of the Rhine 36 years before. I presume that they had retained their lands in Swebolandam. The tangential expansion into Heruskolandam seems sensible, but is just supposition on my part. Obviously a big part of this period was the migrations of the Teutones and the Cimbri, perhaps they can be dealt with through sizeable rebel banners.

A few other adjustments:
    I've removed the Romans from Massylim and Tripolitania, confining their Carthaginian possessions to the area relatively close to the city. The Jugurthine war is obviously the major event here at this time, again I could do stacks of rebel banners but that somehow seems unsatisfactory.

I've restored Ioudaia to the Ptolomaioi, though Ptolemy X was on the throne, I believe Ptolemy IX was still campaign around the area. It seems unlikely, given the power of the factions around it and its significant location that Ioudaia could be considered really independent.

In Asia Minor, I've restored Kilikia to the Seleukids and removed Kappadokia from Pontos. The attempted annexation of Kappadokia by Mithridates was one of the spurs for the conflict with Rome. Asia Minor is certainly looking like it will be a hot-bed of conflict, with no less than five factions contesting the area.

I've also added Sattagydia to Baktria/Indo-Greeks after getting information at the timing of their migrations. Helps to give them a more cohesive area in any case.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 08-10-2005 at 17:22.

In my mind there's not a great deal of comparison with TFT to be honest.
    I agree....the start date of TFT is later than yours anyway.

I assume Parthia will be added to this mod at some point....right?

...And the Ptolemies should not have Judea. Remember the Maccabee revolt? It happened about 50 years before your start date and Judea was independent at this time because of it (until the arrival of the Romans).
    Last edited by Xanthippus of Sparta; 08-10-2005 at 14:42.

The Aedui had recieved the submissions of the Armoricans and off-and-on the Lemovicians, and the Aquitanians. Sometimes the Lemovicians allied with their main opposition (the Arverni), but the Aquitanians and Armoricans were more solidly part of Aedui lands (though the Aquitanians did shirk off their rule occassionally).

Excellent! Thanks to both of you. As I said at the beginning, this period of history is not my strong suit, but I must admit as I learn more the more I'm finding it fascinating.

I would imagine EB has some kind of plan for Parthia. Though it wasn't as important in the 270s as it would become by 107BC it would be rather surprising if they left it out! Once that faction is previewed we can add it to the map. But in terms of territory, I would probably be working along these sort of lines:

Source: Iran Chamber Society (iranchamber.com)

Though probably a little less than this as I believe this map shows them in the 40s. Maybe have them up to the Tigris as they were in 129BC, if there's better info around then let us know.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 08-11-2005 at 09:30.

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

With Macedonia and Hellenes gone are you bringing Numidia back? and maybe add an indian faction? Great idea for an expansion and after i'm relativly done with EB then i'll have a crack at it....once EB and this gets finished of course ;)
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

Well, it's very tempting. Jugurtha was the big thing in North Africa at 107BC and it would be a shame to lose him. Without Carthage, north africa looks terribly empty. We could have strong rebels there, of course, but that might be missing an opportunity.

For the intial release, at least, we wouldn't be looking at adding new models or anything like that. _However_, if the open beta has any Numidian regional units that perhaps could be used to create a Numidian faction in place of Carthage, then it's a possibility as that would just be a bit of text editing (well, okay, a lot of text editing) and a bit of graphic work. It would probably be a bit rough and ready, but perhaps better than losing a faction entirely.

So, not for the initial release, because we'll be trying to get that out as quickly as possible, but maybe as an add-on.

As for an Indian faction, I wouldn't think so. The Mauryan Empire collapsed in 185BC, the closest that was around in 107BC was the Sunga Dynasty which was on the wrong side of the country.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 08-10-2005 at 16:46.

In this time period, wouldn't it make sense to take advantage of the destruction or diminishing of some of the previous factions in order to add in the Arverni?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    It should sound Gallic; the Casses (and Catuvellanians) spoke a Gallic originated continental Celtic language, not the midlander P-Celt stuff.
    Is "-rix" still the right suffix, then? I don't recall ever having read about an islander with a name like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthippus of Sparta
    I agree....the start date of TFT is later than yours anyway.

I assume Parthia will be added to this mod at some point....right?

...And the Ptolemies should not have Judea. Remember the Maccabee revolt? It happened about 50 years before your start date and Judea was independent at this time because of it (until the arrival of the Romans).

Well actually your wrong about the start date, FRRE starts in 107bc & ends in 192ad. The First campaign of FMOR will start with Marius in 107bc. See here for details http://forums.rometotalrealism.com//index.php?act=ST&f=9&t=561&st=0#entry7518

The timeframe is split into 9 (maybe more) different mods, each mod will contain many individual campaigns, like TFT now.

However, and more importantly, as ER rightly said, the two projects are very different but share the same historically starting point. The only other thing we share is NGR's map, coz's it's the best out there by far. I wish ER and his team the very best of luck, and i look forward to playing the mod when it's released. The TFT team come to this forum to get ideas/inspiration from guys like ER who has made some fantastic discoveries in the scripting side of RTW - which you'll see in TFT.

TFT 's Fall of the Republic - Rise of the Empire (FRRE) Mod Project
    A collection of Post-Marian Reform mods for B.I
    Download The First Triumvirate v 1.75 for RTW

Vindelicos should not controlled by the sweboz in 107bc.
    The great (380ha) oppidum near modern manching north east of vindelicoppidos and the whole of todays southern germany was settled by celts until well into the 1st century Bc. Some oppida as far north as modern Giessen, like Duensberg, stayed celtic until the roman campaigns in the last decades Bc.
    Last edited by cunctator; 08-10-2005 at 21:28.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonGod
    Is "-rix" still the right suffix, then? I don't recall ever having read about an islander with a name like that.
    It's correct; the title of Cassivellaunus was 'rix' according to some coins in southern Britain.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast