Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The farthest you can trace your geanoligy back

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default The farthest you can trace your geanoligy back

I don't know much about my dads side but my moms great times 25 grandad was John proctor who was hung at the salem witch trials in 1692 Thats the only notable person in 425 years
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 08-06-2005 at 04:22.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Default Re: The farthest you can trace your geanoligy back

A bunch of vikings in Sweden, a bunch of Barbarians from Scotland and England, and some Portuguese in there to boot. Apparently one of my great grand mothers was a Princess in Portugal, but I know that's vague and not as cool as John Proctor.

*shame*

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Well don't you get to a point where there's too many people to put in there. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the names in the diagram rise in number exponentially. That would make this whole genealogy thing pretty worthless IMO.

Anyways though I'm only gonna mention the ones I know.
    From my dad's side all priests except for my granpa who was a commie. From my mom's side rich bourgouisie.

I only have access to three generations, since my great-grandfather moved over from Ulm. But, I do know that they have mostly been from Ulm, with a bit of French mixed in for fun, and stayed there as bankers, professors, and landowners.

Princesses and John Proctor have a clear victory.

15th/16th century all in Wales, the Anglo/Welsh border, Cornwall and the West Country and a bit from Ireland too.

Amost forgot: something to do with Nell Gwyn in there somewhere.
    Last edited by Taffy_is_a_Taff; 08-06-2005 at 05:15.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

On the Irish side (mother's) we can trace her father's family back to Cairgaline, just south of Cork. Went there, parish priest helped us out, discovered the family was locally well known for trouble. Shocker.

Mother's mother family... traced back to when 6 brothers came over to fight in the US civil war (from county Mayo) 4 for the Union, 2 for the Confederacy, all guaranteed their citizenship. One lived to have kids. No record of them prior to that.

Dad's side... my paternal grandmother was the daughter of a stone cutter from Trieste. Family over there has wonderful records dating back to roughly 1550.

My dad's father purposely cut off his lineage. We've reconnected, and his family comes from the Hessians that came over to fight for the British. Prior to that, they actually enlisted in Hess from Milan. Where they came from prior to Milan ???
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

My father traced ours back all the way to the 1700s. Both sides of my family are Prussian in origin.

Apparently we had a very large family until the first half of the 20th century where the world wars took a bit of a tole on the clan. As a result, the "bloodline" is just starting to rebound and grow again after all the deaths.

My familys surname is a old Finish surname wich dates back to 1300´s.Its possibly much older but there are no documents prior christianity,to prove that.There is about 1800 people here in Finland with my surname and they are all related to eachother at somepoint of their family history.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

I think the farthest I can trace my name is to 1707 or something like that. A man named Samuel B******(like I'm going to tell you my surname)
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Well,

From my mother, her great grandmother(my great great grandmother) comes from the family, whom which the man, wrote the National Hymn of Romania. I'm kinda proud of that, plus the fact that my grandmother was from an aristocratic family, and my grandpa is a WWII veteran.

From my dad, I don't know
    Last edited by edyzmedieval; 08-06-2005 at 09:45.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

on my farthers side im related to Musashi and my mothers side im related to Achilles.

Go me!
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

On my father's side, I can trace my grandfather's line back to around 1650. It was one of the immigrating Valonians (sp?). My grandmother's line is traced to about 1680, but here it was a Swedish peasant.

My mother's line is more shrouded in darkness, but the family name can be traced back to atleast 1699 in Sweden. It appears to be German, but not 100% certain on that one. It could be Polish too.

No known famous relatives though, but one with my mother's last name was a good friend with Copernicus
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Allegedly my family has been living in the same region of Iran for centuries. Despite a few local references and legends, there is not much to tell.
    "The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr."

I only defended myself and the honor of my family” - Nazanin

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kanamori
    I only have access to three generations, since my great-grandfather moved over from Ulm. But, I do know that they have mostly been from Ulm, with a bit of French mixed in for fun, and stayed there as bankers, professors, and landowners.

Princesses and John Proctor have a clear victory.
    My father was born in Ulm! My grandparents live a few miles away in a little town called Senden.
    My maternal, English side of the family isn't very illustrious, however, through my maternal grandmother I am a von Nass, an aristocratic, Baronial family from Prussia. My great-great-great Grandfather, Friederich von Nass, was on Blücher's staff at the battle of Waterloo in 1815. Another before him was a colonel in the army of Frederick the Great. However, all the family lands were lost after the Second World War (in which my Grandfather served in the Panzer Grenadiers) when large swathes of Germany were annexed by Poland.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Blog Entries

My Father's side all come from Germany (specifically Saxony/Dresden area) Great Grandfather moved his entire family from Dresden to Helena Montana in the 1930s My Great Grandmother (who is still alive). They were a rather poor stock, most farmers, or some sort of craftsmen. A Great Grand Uncle served as a Panzer General in WWII and was shot in the neck at Leningrad and died a couple of years later from his wounds. Earliest family reference goes back to the 1500s

My Mother's side comes from the UK with Scottish/Irish/Welsh/English influences. They were rather vagabond for many generations, had an ancestor who spent 3 years in the "Tower" for illegal name change. My Grandparents as well as almost every other family member on my mom's side still live in the UK, an uncle lives in LA though. She was born in Newcastle and now lives in Montana. Earliest family references are vague and have a lot of holes, the earliest I can trace it back with absolute clear knowledge is the 1600s (apparently thieves and vagabonds didn't like churches taking down their family geneology).

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

I'm Defiantly Celtic in origin. My Mums paternal family comes from Kent but her mothers family was Scottish. Both Sides of my dads family is Welsh but he was born in Surrey. During the middle ages the Marks' were knights, our banner being a red background with a golden rampant lion surrounded by eight golden fleur-de-lis.
    Intresting stroy though. My mums paternal side is Stanley, the Last 'rulers' of the isle of man during the middle ages was the Stanley family, i may actually be the second-born son of the Kings of Mann and the isles!!!!
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

On my mother's side we go back, waaaay back, to colonial America. I've got so much American blood in me I could accuse George Bush of being an immigrant.

An odd statement coming from someone as ferociously Canadian as myself.

My father's side is British and Norwegian. He told me one of our ancestors was kicked out of Britain for stealing horses. Leave or hang. He left. Don't know if it's true, but that's what he told me.
    Unto each good man a good dog

My dad's dad was fought during d-day, had something to do with illegal gambling and then went onto own 6 betting shops.

My mum's mum's dad was German and served in the Prussian guards. He personal served Crown Prince William, the Kaiser's son.

My mum's dad's dad was Scotish and claimed to be a relative of David Livingston, tho he may have been a bit mad.

Search for my surname brings up a castle and a Duke, earls, an admiral, and a general fighting for the wrong King who then went onto beat a Scotish King.

I doubt I am related to any of them.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 08-06-2005 at 14:06.

My father was born in Ulm! My grandparents live a few miles away in a little town called Senden.
    My maternal, English side of the family isn't very illustrious, however, through my maternal grandmother I am a von Nass, an aristocratic, Baronial family from Prussia. My great-great-great Grandfather, Friederich von Nass, was on Blücher's staff at the battle of Waterloo in 1815. Another before him was a colonel in the army of Frederick the Great. However, all the family lands were lost after the Second World War (in which my Grandfather served in the Panzer Grenadiers) when large swathes of Germany were annexed by Poland.
    You haven't heard of any von Köberle's, have you? As I understand it, they've lived around there for quite a while and have since spread out around the Stuttgart area too.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

On my Romanov side I can trace back until 1825 when the line joins the royal Russian family, on my mums side I can trace back to the 1600 when a cossack with my surname was elected kurenniy in Zaporozhye.

On the other hand my grandad's spanish heritage goes back as far as 1300 (IIRC) when a man with my surname was present on an expedition to the canary islands.

on my polish side I can trace back until 1900s when my family lost their lands in poland and moved to Germany.

On my German side I can only trace back until WWII, but I've heard stories of my family moving to the Ukraine after WWI and then being deported to Khazakhstan during WWII.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

My great-grandmother did a trace back of the genelogy about 20 years ago - and then their is the family legends. This is all on my mother's side.

Kit Carson is an brother of one of my female ancestors.
    Their is the legend that my great-great grandmother rode alone across New Mexico, Arizona into California to marry my great-great grandfather and became the mayor of one Alaska gold mine towns - but If the story my grandmother told me of her grandmother is true - that lady was a remarkable woman of the time.

Other interesting stories come from my mother's side of the family - some involving the marriage of my great-grandfather to a cherokee female and the bigotry they faced in the early 1900's.

Then on my Father's side - My great-grandfather was an Englishman who immigranted into the Indian Terrority and was a missionary. Some interesting stories from that side of the family aslo.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Forsmark, Sweden, where the radiation keeps me warm.

No very famous relatives here... Just farmers and soldiers. Alot served in the Swedish army, but also as merceneries in Germany in the 16:th and 17:th century. They adapted a new surname while fighting in Germany so that we could fit in with the germans So now many think I have german relatives.

I also had relatives in Karl XII´s regiment drawn from the region of Dalarna. Dalaregementet was famous for never surrender and always stay loyal to the king.
    I support the Pike and Musket:Total War

Also Europa Barbarorum supporter!

Mediæval Auctoriso Member Member TheSilverKnight's Avatar

Dad's side of the family was in Poland from the great migrations at the end of the Roman Era (afaik) until the Partition of Poland in the 1770's-1790's, whereas they relocated to England to escape the Russians.

Mom's family has been in England since pre-Roman times afaik, pure Celtic stock, with possibly some French-Norman thrown in there in the invasion of 1066, since I've been told I have a somewhat 'continental' look.

Both families have been prominent in the military except for the last generation. Mum has no brothers, and Dad didn't feel like joining the military, so...so there.
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

I descend from Irish, then Canadian farmers on Dad's side, and French/German/Brit/Chippewa shop-keepers and service workers on Mom's side. Apparently nothing remarkable.

Dad, although he never naturalized, always maintained that the essence of being in America was paying no heed to your ancestors, so I know very little about them.

One story survived, though (told me by my Aunt, Dad's sister). Her grandfather and his 2 brothers are apparently the ones to make the big move from Ireland to Ontario, where they jointly acquired some farmland. Some big drunken fight broke out one night, with the result of the 2 brothers leaving and going further west, never to be heard from again.

In 1985, while waiting for a prescription to be filled in a drug store in El Paso Texas, the clerk called my name. I, and another guy, both responded. After sorting out whose med's were whose, we both pulled out our ID, only to discover that we had EXACTLY the same name (which neither of us had encountered before). Not only that, the EXACT same date of birth (except his was 1960, where mine was 1950). Too eerie. We went to the nearest bar and shared a couple beers. Turns out that he had heard of a family-splitting drunken fight in Canada story too. But we couldn't establish any better connection. We still exchange birthday cards every year.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

An Intrestinjg story i found out about my Mum's Dad. During WW2 he campaigned in Africa in the Artillery, he was captured then taken to Italy and put in a prison camp some 50 odd miles north (or west i cant remember) of rome, he then escaped and walked, WALKED to Switzerland evading italian and german patrols, Steve McQueen eat your heart out.
    Before the War he jumped ship on a liner heading for Canada and walked from the east coast to Toronto then to NYC then jumped ship again to get back to Kent. He Stole food and clothes and junk that he needed. He sounds like an exciting bloke eh?
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

With all that trudging to and fro, it's too bad your grandpa didn't pick up a gig as a postman.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Mad Professor Senior Member Hurin_Rules's Avatar

Directly, not too far; not high enough social class for that. But my Scottish clan descends from a Norman familiy that predates the Conquest of 1066.
    "I love this fellow God. He's so deliciously evil." --Stuart Griffin

One Knight Stand Member Spartakus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    My father traced ours back all the way to the 1700s. Both sides of my family are Prussian in origin.

Apparently we had a very large family until the first half of the 20th century where the world wars took a bit of a tole on the clan. As a result, the "bloodline" is just starting to rebound and grow again after all the deaths.
    A fellow Prussian.

I too have Prussian ancestors on my father's side. A relative of mine who's into genealogy has traced our ancestors back to a certain Andreas Cnophenius, born 1480 in Cistrin and died 1522 in Riga. He was of a priestly family from eastern Prussia (in what is today Poland), where he made his living as a school headmaster. Interestingly, he was also a personal friend of Martin Luther.

He's the farthest back we've been able to trace our lineage, before him the records fail us, I'm afraid.

As for being notable, I can mention Andreas' great-nephew, Hieronymus Christopher (1535-1611), who was court priest for Dorothea, the widowed Queen of Denmark..
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Colonel Theodorick Bland, Virginia Cavalry

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Well I know the story of how my relatives came to America, probably some time in the mid to late 1800's. My Grandfather (mother's side) has traced our family back all the way to Ireland, so if I went to ask those relatives we could probably go back well into the 1700's, maybe even the 1600's. I know he has visited my relatives in Ireland and he may have already done this, so somewhere between 200-400 years, possibly more.

As for my father's side I only know about how my relatives came here from Canada and it is all pretty foggy, at least for me, so likely much less more like 150-200 years, unless my grandparents know a lot more than they have told me.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast