Thread: mercenary shopping.

Default mercenary shopping.

playing as the brutii i'm gonna build an army with only mercenaries.

so i woul'd like some feedback on where to go and what merc's i should hire.

ps.i'm playing on m/m.

thanks in advance.

Default Re: mercenary shopping.

Hi gigi

My personal favourite is Rhodes and Crete for those Rhodian Slingers and Cretian Archers !!!

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

travel to pergamun ( that area ) and buy bastarnae , cretans , merc hoplites , rodian slingers and thracian mercs.
    That 'will give you quite a good army.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

I go for all mercanery armies all the time, and just send them on a MTW style crusade

'go and get alesia from those stinking gauls'

If they get annialiated so what? They're only mere mercs

And if they manage to get their objective build some town watch there and find them a new objective, I have made myself some fine generals that way.

Passionate MTW peasant Member Deus ret.'s Avatar

If you're up to a little travelling, also visit the levante (Antioch etc) to add some camels and arab cav to the roster. Admittedly they serve you best int the desert but at least the camels are always useful....You might even find mercenary war elephants in the area if you're lucky.
    Vexilla Regis prodeunt Inferni.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus ret.
    If you're up to a little travelling, also visit the levante (Antioch etc) to add some camels and arab cav to the roster. Admittedly they serve you best int the desert but at least the camels are always useful....You might even find mercenary war elephants in the area if you're lucky.

has anybody found some mercenary elephants?
    and if so where is the biggest change on finding them?

thanks in advance.

i've often found some mercenary Elephants in carthage.
    In war there is no substitute for victory.

Send a Family member on a decent fleet {sufficient to fight its' way home if need be} to Crimea and by a Steppe horse army over the years . You should get 3 or 4 Sythian Horse archers per Samartian Lancer {whom are quite good themselves} and you will have an army able to dominate most any army it meets {only large numbers of Elephants would give it trouble} . If you send enough ships for two fleets {I use 4 minimum per fleet as a rule of thumb} then you could get enough extra units to replace losses for years .
    Being strategically fast , it makes a great army for guarding regions deep within your empire with lots of coastline . They can keep the anoying "brigands" that can cost you cashflow by not only devistating regions , but also by simply standing on roads with heavy merchant traffic , yet still take on full house invasion armies without notable disadvantage . They are also relativly cheap to upkeep .

See a dealer about some today , you wont be disapointed
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .

Passionate MTW peasant Member Deus ret.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigi
    has anybody found some mercenary elephants?
    and if so where is the biggest change on finding them?
    AFAIK the chance of getting elephants is not "big". I didn't look it up in the respective text file, but when I was Armenia it took until 220BC until one unit finally showed up around Antioch whereas when I played Greeks I sent an invasion army there around 253BC and immediately got some mercenary war elephants....
    Vexilla Regis prodeunt Inferni.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

I got them near Antioch once, and once in ( or near ) lepcis magna.
    overall there isn't a very big chance of gettnig them...

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

as far as i remember the appearance rate is 0.015

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

... as in and average of 9 times over the course of 600 turns!!!!
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Get some bedouin camels for fun and laughs

Member Member swirly_the_toilet_fish's Avatar

Libyan Mercs are the best.
    "If I were a man I could do so much - travel the stars, learn to play the harp, conquer a foreign country and become a frustrated cartoonist."

People overlook those Illyrian Mercs...excellent missiles and then some decent fighting capability. They also pop up in large numbers and are cheap.

Best province is the one next to Austria?

It has Illyrians, Thracians, Basternae, and Sarmations.

p.s. I think basternae are too expensive compared to Thracians...am I insane?

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

no bastarnae have 2HP and better attack.

We do not sow.

I found some elephants at Antioch; they were a real hoot, especially after they ran amok right in the middle of the Egyptian army! My forces just sat back and watched the show. Pretty much nothing left but little greasy smears when they got done. Shame I couldn't keep them, but it was worth it in pure entertainment value.

The East Coast of Greece and Pergamum, along with the Crimea have the best mercenaries.

Bedouin Archers are great though.

The mercenary hoplites in Laconia start with 3 extra experience chevrons. Kinda nice if you're in the neighborhood.

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

My fav combo of mercs is 8-12 hoplites, 4-6 cretan archers, 2-4 bastarne and 2 sarmatian cavs. Easy obtainable from the start and frequently re-emerging, highly versatile and defensible impregnable. Playing mostly in or around the eastern Med I do always tend to get Cretan archers, Sarmatian/ Scythian horse archers and Bedouin camel archers for armies in thoose regions.
    It´s a pity though that the merc pool in RTW is so small, compared with MTW, and europe only have 2 mercs - barb.inf. and barb.cav. Africa has only 2 also so there´s not much to shop around for is there? Try out RTR 6.0 it has alot of diff units and mercs - most enjoyable and best on the market, so far.

Proud Knight of the AMC Member RTW King's Avatar

If you want a mod to help with your merc army, my V2 Realism mod in my sig makes mercenaries appear significantly more often and creates more at start.
    Join the AMC. Down with rappers!

You can also edit the descr_mercenaries text file to raise chances, starting numbers, merc max numbers, and speed of regeneration.

For the best recruitment grounds, Asia Minor in general is best, with an extension into the north to get Scythian mercenaries. You get hoplites and thracians and bastarnae (the balanced army the Greeks never had and the Thracians seem incapable of creating) as well as more-than-sufficient firepower support from Rhodians, Cretans and HA. Heavy cavalry will be provided in the form of Sarmatians, Bedouins and Arabs if you so choose to extend your recruitment run into Dacia or Syria. The optimum would be barb cav, but that's as good as saying run through the entire known world which defeats the purpose of localised recruitment.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004