Thread: People's experience of RTR 6.0 ??

Default People's experience of RTR 6.0 ??

Hi everyone

I've not played many mods in my MTW/RTW career but recently downloaded RTR 6.0 as the idea of zones and areas of recruitment suited my style. When playing unmodded RTW I had a 2 player PBEM and restricted high level units to the starting cities. I felt it was unrealistic to take far away high tech cities and start producing elite units straight away. I know this is not everyones cup of tea but this suited my style and slowed the game down a little.

I've played a few turns of RTR 6.0 and the following hit me:

- You get hastati, principes and triarii straight from the start which is great.
    - The battles are slower which is great but having more settlements means a very long campaign.
    - There appears to be too many mercenaries to hire in too small an area enabling you to bulk out your armies very quickly.
    - Teching up your cities militarily is slower which is good.
    - Cavalry is weaker so charging formed units when they are not already fighting is a big mistake.
    - It is harder to make out your units in battle.
    - I just defeated Pyrrhus's army very easily. His unit split of from the army and took a trip round my territory. I sent a unit of triarii and his cavalry unit died with only 3 triarii lost. His leaderless army was then easily defeated.

These are just a few of my thoughts and what I enjoy others may dislike and vice versa.

P.S. Moderators please feel free to move if this is not in the approprate section.

Default Re: People's experience of RTR 6.0 ??

Quote Originally Posted by YAKOBU
    Hi everyone

I've not played many mods in my MTW/RTW career but recently downloaded RTR 6.0 as the idea of zones and areas of recruitment suited my style. When playing unmodded RTW I had a 2 player PBEM and restricted high level units to the starting cities. I felt it was unrealistic to take far away high tech cities and start producing elite units straight away. I know this is not everyones cup of tea but this suited my style and slowed the game down a little.

I've played a few turns of RTR 6.0 and the following hit me:

- You get hastati, principes and triarii straight from the start which is great.
    - The battles are slower which is great but having more settlements means a very long campaign.
    - There appears to be too many mercenaries to hire in too small an area enabling you to bulk out your armies very quickly.
    - Teching up your cities militarily is slower which is good.
    - Cavalry is weaker so charging formed units when they are not already fighting is a big mistake.
    - It is harder to make out your units in battle.
    - I just defeated Pyrrhus's army very easily. His unit split of from the army and took a trip round my territory. I sent a unit of triarii and his cavalry unit died with only 3 triarii lost. His leaderless army was then easily defeated.

These are just a few of my thoughts and what I enjoy others may dislike and vice versa.

P.S. Moderators please feel free to move if this is not in the approprate section.

Overall, I like RTR 6.0. It is a very good Mod with some great improvements. The unit cost system is perfect. It is no longer possible to easily form an uber-army. Instead elite units are treated as such.

I'm sorry your experience with Pyrrhus sucked. Those greek bastards gave me hell for a long long time. It was great. I finally whupped em though.

My only complaint is not really a complaint. I just wish they had more music and I wish they would have followed the four music categories like vanilla.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

I like the mod alot, the greeks being in the south of Italy give a challenge for playing as Rome and the rebels really give a much better account of themselves especially in sieges.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma
    Overall, I like RTR 6.0. It is a very good Mod with some great improvements. The unit cost system is perfect. It is no longer possible to easily form an uber-army. Instead elite units are treated as such.

I'm sorry your experience with Pyrrhus sucked. Those greek bastards gave me hell for a long long time. It was great. I finally whupped em though.

My only complaint is not really a complaint. I just wish they had more music and I wish they would have followed the four music categories like vanilla.
    Check my sig for an excellent music mod.
    AMD A64 3700+ (San Diego)
    MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum
    Asus EN7800GTX TOP 256MB
    Kingston 2x1 GB DDR400 Ram
    Cooler Master Extreme Power Duo 600W

Quote Originally Posted by sik1977
    Two questions:

(1) Is this compatable with RTR 6.0?

(2) Is there anyway to hear some of it first, such as what RTR did on their site?

Much thanks.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Like the original RTW, I think RTR 6.0 is a thing of beauty. The units, the research and general presentation are outstanding. Earlier versions of RTR had already vastly improved on the original RTW by slowing combat and getting rid of the most ahistorical units.

My nagging concern is that, perhaps also like vanilla RTW, RTR 6.0 may be a little too easy, at least as the Romans.The Romans seem to have greatly superior stats to most other factions. This might be historical but as a Roman player, I prefer RTR 5.4 where phalanx units were stronger and the barbarian stats not so far behind the now awesome principes and triarii.

The other cause of unease I have is with missiles. I suspect these are a little too lethal against the AI. My 3 slingers seem to rout most enemy armies singlehanded. I suspect the three arms - cav, missiles and infantry - may be well balanced against humans but against the AI it is too tempting to shoot them to death with cheap missile units. I think the SP game would be better - more of a challenge and simulate the combat of the era better - if they halved the effectiveness of missiles and tripled their price.

This mod is excellent - i am playing as pontus and have had a pretty hard time trainnig up an army to fight just rebels, it's so well balenced.

My only nagging concern is wtf are the gauls doing in the western asia!?!
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

I started my first campaign as Bactria which finds itself immediatly ina very touchy positions. Between several full experienced rebel indian army stacks including 4 units of elephants to the east and north, the seleucids immediatly to the south, and the parthians to the west (both of whom are your allies). Advancing your cities is expensive and time consuming and you barely get enough gold upon starting to start one construction per turn.

At the moment my main army which i assembled and threw against the full stacks of indian rebels has managed to capture only two cities in about 14 turns and its now stuck there to maintain order until those cities can start producing their auxilia. I launched a small army into Parthia hoping for some quick easy victories which i did gain but do to rebellions and the like my army has been bogged down trying to finish them off. Just recently the Seleucids declared war on me. I barely managed to scrap together a minor army with what funds i could find and send it south away from their full+ stack army that theyve sent. Even further south i found some illguarded rebel cities and took the opportunity to sneak a general of mine through seleucid lands and into the rebel territories hire a couple mercenaries to form my army and capture a city. My empire is small and divided and fighting several small wars on all my borders which im barely managing to keep the upper hand on.

I absolutely love the Bactrian general's cavalry. They are amazing.

dictator by the people Member caesar44's Avatar

Smile Re: People's experience of RTR 6.0 ??

RTR 6 is a very good mod , not perfect (IMO because of the limitations)
    The units are amazing , the map is very good , the "rebels" have a much better AI , the AOR (what can I say) etc' .
    about realism - the names of the generals are not realistic , the army march per turn is not realistic , never ever saw an AI invasion across the sea ! armies are too many and too small .

Bottom line , if the original game gets 7 of 10 , RTR gets 8.5 .
    "The essence of philosophy is to ask the eternal question that has no answer" (Aristotel) . "Yes !!!" (me) .

"Its time we stop worrying, and get angry you know? But not angry and pick up a gun, but angry and open our minds." (Tupac Amaru Shakur)

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma
    Two questions:

(1) Is this compatable with RTR 6.0?

(2) Is there anyway to hear some of it first, such as what RTR did on their site?

Much thanks.
    Yes it is suppose to be compatable with all mods and vanilla. But please check the forum (link in my sig) for details of how you can listen to the music etc.

It does keep the original music as well (optional at installation) and adds a lot of great music to the game. I believe it is well worth it.
    AMD A64 3700+ (San Diego)
    MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum
    Asus EN7800GTX TOP 256MB
    Kingston 2x1 GB DDR400 Ram
    Cooler Master Extreme Power Duo 600W

Passionate MTW peasant Member Deus ret.'s Avatar

Started a RTR campagin as Carthage two days ago and...WOW! 14 cities providing an income to begin buildings in just about 4 of them each turn. It takes a long to develop and also quite a while to upgrade military infrastructure...at least your starting Sicilian army is not as crappy (Iberians) resp. almighty (katank's blitz) as it was in vanilla rtw.

Building construction times seem to have been increased by one turn generally, also a good thing. Damn the Ptolemaics, they have the Mausoleum right from the start...

Some observations:
    -Up to now I haven't figured out why e.g. Numidia has to build Provincial barracks at Large Town level and Royals at City level, whereas most factions seem to be able to construct Royal barracks at Large Town level.
    Similarly, with most factions it seems to be quite useless to construct Elite cavalry stables because of no new/experienced units showing up.
    -The combat engine seems to have improved, at least as far as I can tell after the first couple of battles. Or maybe it's just that you can't fool and crush the AI that easy any more due to the natural lack of cavalry.
    -Onagers seem to have been completely removed, a GREAT thing to do! Siege battles now actually prove to be kind of challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    The other cause of unease I have is with missiles. I suspect these are a little too lethal against the AI.
    Good point, I had similar experiences with the Balearic slingers. Overall it seems that the position of slingers has grown significantly, at the cost of archers (the Greek ones still lurk at 7 missile attack...not really enough to wipe out whole armies). However the usefulness of ranged attackers is not limited to playing against the AI: a single unit of peltasts on the wall was able to decimate my tower-pushing Scutarii by 3/4 before they got one foot on the stones....

Overall an AWESOME mod. Much better atmosphere, much better music, much more ...realism? yes, in most areas definitely. I'll never switch back to vanilla....
    Last edited by Deus ret.; 08-07-2005 at 17:21.
    Vexilla Regis prodeunt Inferni.

Frustrated would-be modder Member vastator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    This mod is excellent - i am playing as pontus and have had a pretty hard time trainnig up an army to fight just rebels, it's so well balenced.

My only nagging concern is wtf are the gauls doing in the western asia!?!
    It's worth noting that in vanilla RTW you can recruit mercenary barbarian cavalry and warbands in Galatia. This is historically correct. A large force of Celts crossed into Asia Minor from the Balkans in 278 BC, making such a nuisance of themselves that the Seleucid Empire was forced to take action. The Celts were defeated at Pergamum in 275 and settled in the Anatolian interior, which became known as Galatia. They remained there, effectively independent, until finally being absorbed by the Roman Empire in 25 BC.

RTR 6.0 is the very first version of RTR I have tried and I must say I'm overwhelmed! I just didn't expect this (no offense). When I started it for the first time and saw that they've made their own intro it completely blew me away!

I've played it so far and it is very nice and looks very professional even! Too bad that CA didn't include a total domination option (odd decision i.m.o. Why limit the game in such a way? People can choose themselves whether they want to continue or not right?), because that would have made RTR's huge map work great! Sure there's still the save/reload trick, but that means you've already lost (or won). As an eastern faction like Bactria it will be hard winning due to being so far away from Rome. And sending off an army specially for Rome just seems wrong. Anyways due to this new large map it makes the entire eastern scenario a whole lot better and more interesting. And the entire Auxilia building process is really a gamemaker!

Hats off to the RTR team!

PS. I have to admit I made a couple of small changes. Upped the morale a bit and did a few other things.

It's worth noting that in vanilla RTW you can recruit mercenary barbarian cavalry and warbands in Galatia. This is historically correct. A large force of Celts crossed into Asia Minor from the Balkans in 278 BC, making such a nuisance of themselves that the Seleucid Empire was forced to take action. The Celts were defeated at Pergamum in 275 and settled in the Anatolian interior, which became known as Galatia. They remained there, effectively independent, until finally being absorbed by the Roman Empire in 25 BC.
    ok, thanks, i was sure that it had a historical grounding.

RTR team, i salute you
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Exclamation Re: People's experience of RTR 6.0 ??

hm well as i see you all are quite exited by rtr 6.0,

i like it very much as well. it is a great improvement in matters of ai provinces game dynamics and so on....
    but i mostly dislike the lot of new units. they might be realistic, but now the eastern kingdoms(greeks/macedons/thrac./ptolmaics/) seem to be to similar. they all got wast colorful phalanx but its hard to distinguish them from each other. i wished the different peoples had more specific units/identities (at least graphically) the new units are way to colorful to represent hardened armies that marched for years.
    next point are the barbarians. a great plus is eliminating those britons. but anyway the germans/dacians/gaul etc. seem to be way to week. they might not have the technology but then they need some other advantage in order to keep the balance( its a game still, isn't it). by the way i dislike the german units graphs. but the gaul ones are just amazing! (as well as all the others exept greek ones...)
    "we are our own frontier, cross ist"

Yes it is suppose to be compatable with all mods and vanilla. But please check the forum (link in my sig) for details of how you can listen to the music etc.

It does keep the original music as well (optional at installation) and adds a lot of great music to the game. I believe it is well worth it.
    I cant get any links from your spot at TWC to work.

Passionate MTW peasant Member Deus ret.'s Avatar

Well, after playing some more days....despite several smaller bugs this mod is GREAT! The gaming experience increased considerably and became much more dense by adding historical depth. I threw in DarthFormations v6 though, as it improves AI battle behaviour significantly, something RTR does not lay hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by Moooul
    the new units are way to colorful to represent hardened armies that marched for years.
    They may, but say the same in the face of proud Ptolemaic Agema. Those designs may look somewhat strange resp. funny, but at least they're very much the way they might have looked like. As the mod name states, realism. .... admittedly this term does not apply to the removal of onagers. Their absence means, though, that siege battles become actually challenging.
    Vexilla Regis prodeunt Inferni.

Frustrated would-be modder Member vastator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deus ret.
    As the mod name states, realism. .... admittedly this term does not apply to the removal of onagers. Their absence means, though, that siege battles become actually challenging.
    Onagers appeared in the 2nd century BC, although they didn't become popular until the 3rd century AD, so you might want to add them as a post-Marian unit.

Having downloaded the mod last night I see it starts in 280 BC, so strictly speaking there shouldn't be Gauls in Galatia just yet (see my earlier post on this).

My main issue is with African forest elephants carrying towers. The books I have on the subject say they were too small, and that there's no evidence of them carrying additional troops. On another tack, why do the Britons still have chariot archers instead of javelinmen, and shouldn't pre-Marian Gauls also have chariots? I know, I know - picky, picky, picky...

Exclamation Re: People's experience of RTR 6.0 ??

i know i know,

about graphics and stuff are as much opinions as people exist. but the other point i mentioned, the massif loss of individuality between the eastern factions is from my point of view still the mayor (and only) problem of this mod...
    "we are our own frontier, cross ist"

I'm really enjoying it, I must say.

I've upped all the units' morale (but made the AOR units have slightly lower morale than the 'core' troops) to lengthen the battle durations. I've also included Darth's excellent 6.6 formation files. As a result of this, I'm having a blast!

I still find myself zooming in and looking at all the purdy new units whacking each other! I'm astounded at the amount of effort that went into this mod, what a great community we have!

The music is great! But is there any way to listen all the tracks when I play Romans? I don't think I have time to play lots of factions, I still playing Romans now but I want to hear all the music avaliable, just for fun of the good music.
    can I mod the music file?

thanks