Thread: hypaspistai. wich?

graduated non-expert Member jerby's Avatar

Default hypaspistai. wich?

hi there,

I know EB has chosen to portrait hypaspistai ( royal guards) as hoplitai. But according to many people on the www (sorry for not havign any primal source) state that they ahd a versatile role: flexible assault unit, hoplites (probably) and even skirmishers. that, and soem other Q's

Wich 'factions' will have acces to Hypaspistai?
    will there be only 1 unit (hoplitai)?
    (will argyraspidai be available to Macedon?)

2e Q; i saw in (dont snet the death squad) RTR (..) they ahd 2 versions of the Hypaspistai: a swordsmen, and a spearmen-carrying 2-4 jav's. so will 2 units be managable (slots etc) or will the only hypaspistai be capable enough with his sword?

another Question shas arissen: if there is so little known about their EQ. where did you find they adopted a Galatian sword? (curious)

EB Unit Dictator/Administrator Member Urnamma's Avatar

Default Re: hypaspistai. wich?

Hypaspistai will be like elite hoplites, yes. But Pheraspidai (a constructed word meaning the same thing) will be an elite assault infantry. Together they make up the infantry guard of the macedonians and seleucids.
    'It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.'
    ~Voltaire
    'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid. ' - Soren Kierkegaard
    “A common danger tends to concord. Communism is the exploitation of the strong by the weak. In Communism, inequality comes from placing mediocrity on a level with excellence.” - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

EB Unit Coordinator

graduated non-expert Member jerby's Avatar

Default Re: hypaspistai. wich?

pheraspidai, I'll remember that.
    got a source/pic/screenie?