Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And another preview missed...

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Default And another preview missed...

I have a couple suggestions for the EB team:

Now, this is not criticism, so don't take it so hard, but you do not seem to be keeping up with the Friday previews very well. I don't really mind, but it throws a lot of people off. It seems to me that making a preview on Friday is difficult to begin with, so I would like to suggest that the chosen "preview boy" do the preview by sunday or monday rather than Friday; that way, he can work on the preview over the weekend, and have time to relax and do a good job.

The other option, which I would not mind either, would be to scrap the weekly preview, and do one whenever you can. Both of these options could arguably limit the discussion (less time on weekdays), but if it is too difficult to keep up a friday preview, you really should consider your own options, and maybe just make everybody bite the bullet.

Default Re: And another preview missed...

I just wish they would answer my silly little questions on music.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

What the- you really DID follow me over!!!

*runs away screaming*

Both of those things seem to be for the most part already being done...especially #1, its been more a "weekend preview" for a while...

I say both of them because the previews have become seemingly more random now-a-days, it doesnt really matter though. They are still working just as hard to get the beta out.
    Last edited by Atheist_Peace; 08-07-2005 at 07:33.

I undaerstand that it has become a de facto weekend preview, but if they made it official policy, it might ease up the pressure on the preview makers so they wouldn't have to apologise to everyone, and then still have to deal with people nagging them about the late previews. It is really just for clarification purposes- and to leave less room for complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by meatwad
    What the- you really DID follow me over!!!

*runs away screaming*
    I swear it was not intentional. I came over here first then I went to the backroom where I saw you say you were coming over here...

Oh forget it...

*Runs away screaming too*
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

They never were officially Friday previews... They often came on Friday yes, but they were allways viewed as weekend previews.

I don't think they've ever stuck to the friday preview. lol

I anticipate the up coming excuse for the delay of the preview. IT's always the first thing mentioned. It's pretty funny.

The preview was almost ready this saturday.

It could come up in 2 hours or 20, so check back, and I think you will enjoy this one too

And it's always been weekend previews, but the latest previews have been delayed as work continues on the MOD, yet some key people have also been on vacations, and it's not yet a week since the last preview.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Let me put my advertise area experience in this. IMO since EB is not comming out any time soon, has to do something to tease and ''keep'' the interest of their (and future) fans. The frequent systematic previews is the best way. I think that the intention was indeed to be a friday preview not a weekend or monday one. But what means a friday weekly preview? It means that propably the 80% of the work for a faction must be complete so it is presentable. Afer somebody must write the text make screenshoots, upload stuff etc. Its surely to much work especially for one guy. I think the guys could upkeep the weekly pace cause by the time they did the previews they had some factios done or near end stage. Now we enter propably the ''not ready zone'' where these factions are not ready and propably cannot be over a week each time.

What i suggest is to break up the faction previews. Present individual units so you are not bound by the faction factor. Anyway you never show the full roaster. Weekly previews are very important right now if you care about having more fans. If not dont mind me. I mean you have a very foggy release date and plus you have other popular mod releases. Not saying the progress made, the exact cultures , a vague date of beta and delay by days or even week the preview you must admit that doesnt help with popularity. IMO you have many beautifull units made by seperate teams for each cultures. Show what you ve got. Yes its more messy maybe but even CA is doing that. I dont know what your thoughts are but i think time is critical.
    μηνιν αειδε θεα Πηληιαδεω Αχιληοs ουλομενην

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chester
    I anticipate the up coming excuse for the delay of the preview. IT's always the first thing mentioned. It's pretty funny.
    They never were "Friday" previews, even when I was doing them. They were always weekend previews. I just tried to post them on Friday when I could.

"Excuse?" What is amusing are people who have this sense of entitlement. Morbidly amusing.
    Last edited by khelvan; 08-07-2005 at 16:13.
    Cogita tute

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

We don't have to do any sort of prievews. We don't even have to release our mod. That is something it is always good to rember when we are late with our dates, as well as the reason why we will never give a release date for the actual mod.

Idomeneas, we were doing that for a while, just having units as it was done. This way, more units are completed from one faction, in order to allow a more complete faction line up, as opposed to a sprinklining from all over the factions, as we used to do.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Guys, the preview will be a really good one. We are just waiting on something else to really make it better -- it's got nothing to do with someone not getting work done or forgetting about it or anything like that at all. Our skinners and modellers (or both when it's the same person) are overtaxed and we are all going as fast as we can, but when something else is almost ready, but it means holding the preview off just a little longer, then we will probably do it.

It's not even noon on Sunday where I am yet, and we have every expectation of having it up at some point today still, but we can't promise anything ever really. Just cool down a bit, I know there is no way you can possibly be more anxious to see it as some of us are to actually get it out to you. So it won't be much longer at all till you see the words: Greetings Europa Barbarorum fans!, but you gotta hang on patiently just a bit more.

It's not a matter of preview quality at all. I know the previews will be very good. What I am saying is, maybe you should reconsider the timing of the previews. It just seems like they are a lot of work for some already overworked people. Come to think of it, why not do bi-weekly previews? That way, you would be sure to have enough time to do them on time. Or, as I suggested, just don't even bother setting a timescale- do them whenever you feel you have time.

I dont mind the timing of the previews, i just drop in here occasionaly to see if its updated.

It's a weekend preview, so it's suppose to Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. It's still Sunday, so they're are not late. Sometimes the preview did come on a Monday or Tuesday or later, but the previews are so nicely done, the extra days of wait are worth it.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    Guys, the preview will be a really good one. We are just waiting on something else to really make it better -- it's got nothing to do with someone not getting work done or forgetting about it or anything like that at all. Our skinners and modellers (or both when it's the same person) are overtaxed and we are all going as fast as we can, but when something else is almost ready, but it means holding the preview off just a little longer, then we will probably do it.

It's not even noon on Sunday where I am yet, and we have every expectation of having it up at some point today still, but we can't promise anything ever really. Just cool down a bit, I know there is no way you can possibly be more anxious to see it as some of us are to actually get it out to you. So it won't be much longer at all till you see the words: Greetings Europa Barbarorum fans!, but you gotta hang on patiently just a bit more.
    euhm...do we still have to hang on or...
    it's 23:22 here...

graduated non-expert Member jerby's Avatar

i disagree with the: show what you got, when you get it.
    if that will be done now 3 people will be working their butts of to upload 35 random screenies.
    follow 3 months of intense silence where here and there a picture will be uploaded. everyhtign will be compared to 'that day EB released 25%'..marketingwise.
    dont show everything you got. and what you show shoudl be spread out.

23:45, and wiz lives in my timezone. or wil Aymar be our saint this time?

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

We haven't seen Wiz for a week or two, so I think it won't be him. But we do have plans, fear not.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

well, to be honest, i dont 'fear' anything. take your time, release what you got.
    now that the 'new' stuff is out of it, i'm still anxious to play it, but not jibbering to see the previeuw

Sun's still way up in the sky on Sunday for me guys.

One other thing about the preview. Whether we like it or not, it does push production a little faster and lights small fires under our tails over and over.

well..we ,eager anticipators, dont complain about pushed production

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    well..we ,eager anticipators, dont complain about pushed production
    Yep, we don't complain at all....cough*previewdelayedforgoodreasonsmethink*cough

I have more patience now
    I hope the next preview will be a Thracian faction (Getae/Odrysian kingdom) or Armenia.

Father of the EB Isle Member Aymar de Bois Mauri's Avatar
    Staring West at the setting sun, atop the Meneltarma

Ok, guys. Due to 2 of our members having their PCs burning on them this week, the preview had to be delayed. Besides, we are having a lot of work now regarding the mod.

Please be patient, and to compensate you, let's show you which faction is coming your way...

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

PARTHIA!

or am I horribly wrong..

Yes! It's the Flying Lion Faction!
    Je ne vois qu'infini par toutes les fenêtres.

Charles Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Jebus
    Yes! It's the Flying Lion Faction!
    Or the "Talk to the Paw" Faction!!

I'm fine with the unexpectedness of the previews... there's the excitement of uncertainty. It's all part of being a good general... don't expect things to happen according to plan :-D

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Member Member antiochus epiphanes's Avatar

ooh! i know, rome?
    im still ahhan over bactria

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast