Thread: Overdue: Batman Begins

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default Overdue: Batman Begins

Well, wifey & I went on a date last night, and I took her to go see Batman Begins. I haven't seen a thread on the movie yet (I know, it's been out a long time). If one does exist, feel free to merge my post into it.

What was everyone's thoughts on the movie? I thought it was awesome. Way, way, way better than the Timothy (???) versions from the late 80's early 90s. I only had one problem with the film... the whole idea of a microwave generator that could vaporize all of the water in the city's plumbing... 1) it would need a power supply the size of a building (think about it... your microwave doesn't instantly vaporize the cup of water you put in for coffee) and 2) even if you could get a microwave emission device large enough to pull it off... WHY WEREN'T THE PEOPLE, WHO ARE 90% WATER being vaporized?

Other than that, awesome, awesome flick. I LOVE the new Batmobile. Katie Holmes is a slag & they could have picked a better female lead, but I'm seriously impressed that they decided to follow the 'Dark Knight' cycle.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Default Re: Overdue: Batman Begins

cool

What I dont understand is, why do they make the Spiderman (the ultimate super hero ever) movies so sucky, I mean come on! Spidey derserves better.

Anyway, im going to see the phantastic phour, I love superheroes.

Sorry to go OT from batman, but didnt see the movie.

oh, and isnt this frontroom material?
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Batman Begins was awesome, the best Batman film of the bunch, no doubt. They pitched the character just right-the correct amount of Noir mixed in with the super hero action.

Christian Bale was well cast, too.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

It was ok. Like most movies these days the fighting scenes were cut cut cut, with the camera zoomed way in and a bunch of loud noises. I guess that's more cost effective than actually choreographing it.

Michael Caine was great and the bad guy with the glasses was impressively creepy.

The end bit was lame, directors rely to much on having a twist just for the gasp factor when it doesn't actually make the movie better (in this case worse).

Kind of weird how he refuses to kill a criminal without him going to trial, but runs over police cars with his batmobile and generally causes wanton destruction.

Lot's of cool stuff and nice special effects, but I can't say it was a good movie or that I'd ever watch it again.

I thought it very good, even better if I thought the death penalty was a good idea.

The microwave emmiter didn't make much sense though, and why would putting the emmiter at the hub cause all the water in the city to vaporize? Wouldn't they have to wait for the water to come through the hub, which gives Betman a lot more time to take them down? And then there would be the problem of ensuring the cloud of gas is properly disperersed so that at least most of the city goes mad. So I guess the whole microwave thing was lame. Oh well, still fun to watch.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

Scandinavian and loving it Member Lazul's Avatar

suprisingly good... with a few "bad" things, fightscenes was to much cut cut cut as said.
    Also the water thing, I guess one should expect to much realism.
    www.overspun.com

"Freedom without opportunity is a devil's gift."
    --Noam Chomsky

About the realism of the microwave transmitter-it's a superhero film! How many guys do you know who can actually fly faster than a speeding bullet?

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

"Are we to believe this was some sort of magical xylophone?"

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

But isn't that the whole difference of Batman vs other Superhero's? He's merely Bruce Wayne, in a costume with lots of gadgets of his own design, instead of some accident-produced mutant human (or alien, as with the big-red S guy).

For me: more noir, more realism = better flick. I can almost imagine being Batman (well, OK, if I were smarter, richer, buffer, ...)

I look forward to seeing the movie. Didn't the star have to severely buff up from super thin in his last film (The Machinist)? That has to hurt.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Yeah, it was really quite impressive. He was emaciated in The Machinist, almost as thin as I am.

About Batman not having Superpowers, he does inhabit the same universe as Supes, The Flash, et al. So a bit of unrealism isn't that heinous.
    Last edited by Big King Sanctaphrax; 08-07-2005 at 19:14.

One thing I like about super hero MOVIES is that they don't usually do silly crossovers with other superheroes.

In the comic books that stuff makes sense because the whole thing is like one big 'Days of Our Lives' soapie with character interaction, relationships and contrived non-sensical histories to keep things semi-original, otherwise each characters individual stories would soon start sounding just like all the others.

In movies because theres bound to be only a few of them they can afford better to do storylines that haven't yet been covered by other comic book movies.

Of course if Marvel and co. keep churning out mediocre crap they're going to flood the market and risk diminishing their few successful franchises which is always a risk.

WB should get on their knees and thank the good Lord that the new Batman Director managed to save the franchise they themselves allowed to be butchered earlier.

Batman Begins was an excellent movie, I myself had no problem with Katie Holmes in the movie, she played a good character and was pretty damned hot for my tastes, it was also nice how they avoided having Batman end up living happily ever after with her etc.

I'm definantly looking forward to the next Batman movie if they ever get around to it especially as it seems he'll be up against the Joker.

It had an incredible cast who all did a great job, one of if not the best casts I've ever seen in a movie I've really liked before.