I think I just saw the rout bug in action.
It was a 3v3, low latency, but very high lag.
!!!

I was left hand army,
Our teams center army held,
Our teams right army got crushed,
enemy chased him off map,

Now the fellow in front of me was engaging my left flank - quite hard!
He had just called his left flank into the center of the mellee area, without realising that my right wing/flank was still hidden in the trees. I think he assumed my reserve was my center and my center was my right flank.

Now, when he moved his left flank, I sent 2ND a Monk, a YS and an archer in pursuit, moved behind his lines, and turned in along his flank! to attack him from his flank and rear.
Before my right wing/flank made contact the whole lot routed, and instantly my entire army routed.
I only had 3 or 4 units engaged hth, the rest where marching up, or waiting for an opening.

What I believe is I suffered a morale penalty because the right hand rear area of map was controlled by the enemy.
so when i turned my right flank/wing in behind my opponent i had enemy in front and behind - EVEN though I CAN"T see the far side of the map(enemy behind), I believe shogun is adding in the morale penalty.

Because my right wing was 4 complete fresh mellee units and I was moving into his flank, they broke towards the center of my army, I believe so many fresh troops breaking at once 'cascaded' the rout to my entire army.

Considering the lack of 'hard data' on the finer points of morale, regarding how Close behind does an enemy unit have to be to cause a penalty?
Does a penalty apply If the unit is 'concealed' (if the men can't see it - how can they be afraid of it?)?
etc etc.
Is this a workable theory?

OR should a developer type read this,
Is this what is happening?

If not, then what does cause the mass rout of fresh units?

------------------
DoragonBarocca of Clan Doragon