Thread: Mongol Exp could be the final version

Will they increase the maximum number of samurai in the battlefield ?

5000 samurai/battlefield -> 7000/battlefield
    or more.
    120 samurai/unit -> 240 samurai/unit

It will be more fun and takes more time to finish the battle, also takes less time with 120 samurai/unit in 7000 samurai/battlefield.

120 men units are so big that if u play a 16 unit 2v2 in totomi the 1st line of the enemies would cover the entire map. 60 men units are the best form strategy. And if you have more men it doesn't mean the battle will alst longer cause yer 120 men will fight 120 men

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://www.darksideshogunclan.cjb.net
    Enter the Darkside...
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

Furthermore, 240 man units would take one entire year to train, and they'd cost four times the amount we pay for 60 man units... Do you want to pay 1200 koku for a unit of archers? That's more than the entire harvest of Hitachi with Legendary Farmland.

One of the matters different people have been requesting is that the map size be increased. I don't know whether it will be realized (can't really tell from the screenshots) but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. However, if it was realized, it would neatly solve the problem theforce-san spoke of...

------------------
    "Understood the Sword his meaning, / Understood the hero's question, / And it answered him as follows: / 'Wherefore at thy heart's desire / Should I not thy flesh devour, / And drink up thy blood so evil? / I who guiltless flesh have eaten, / Drank the blood of those who sinned not?'"
    -The Kalevala, Poem XXXVI, verses 327-334
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Quote Originally posted by Anssi Hakkinen:
    Furthermore, 240 man units would take one entire year to train, and they'd cost four times the amount we pay for 60 man units... Do you want to pay 1200 koku for a unit of archers? That's more than the entire harvest of Hitachi with Legendary Farmland.

[/QUOTE]

Actually it's slightly less

One of the matters different people have been requesting is that the map size be increased. I don't know whether it will be realized (can't really tell from the screenshots) but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. However, if it was realized, it would neatly solve the problem theforce-san spoke of...

[/QUOTE]

I hope larger maps are implemented, particularly as it would give map makers much more scope. I would also like to see different-shaped maps; currently all maps are square. A long, narrow valley map would be nice. Of course, making larger maps only places greater strain on the hardware, increasing the amount of memory using and driving up the minimum specs required to play. For that reason and others, I somehow doubt we'll see larger maps in the release, though I hope to be proved wrong.

------------------
    MizuRob Hojo
    Honour to clan Takiyama

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 01-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 01-14-2001).]

Originally posted by Rob-sama:
    Quote Actually it's slightly less [/QUOTE]

It's a proven fact that you cannot buy *anything* with 80 koku, and we all know you cheat with your farmland upgrades anyway.

As for larger maps, I agree that they would basically be a good thing. One or two specialty Custom Battle maps for 4vs4 fights would be a welcome relief for those MP people to whom less is not more. However, there is that performance issue, and bigger maps would also require greater scrolling speed - playing the current maps is occasionally pretty painful in 1024x768 mode, I end up doing all scrolling with both the keyboard and the mouse and it still seems slow.

Different shaped maps are an original idea, but run the risk of accentuating the presence of clear "borders" to the playing field (STW is currently so designed that it's deceptively easy to forget the limitedness of the maps). A pass would be good, a hexagon would be nice for 3 person free-for-alls, but I think we'll skip the icosagon.

------------------
    "Understood the Sword his meaning, / Understood the hero's question, / And it answered him as follows: / 'Wherefore at thy heart's desire / Should I not thy flesh devour, / And drink up thy blood so evil? / I who guiltless flesh have eaten, / Drank the blood of those who sinned not?'"
    -The Kalevala, Poem XXXVI, verses 327-334
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

It would be nice to be able to determine the size of a unit when you order it. Why not be able to raise 60 man units AND 120 man units? Increasing the max size to 240 would be a good thing. Large groups of ashigaru would still be affordable and various unit sizes would make for unique tactical situations. Then we could have large units of cheaper troops and smaller units of expensive ones. Sounds almost real doesn't it?
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

For MP I don't have a problem with larger maps. After all I don't play MP so I can't say first hand the degree of clutter involved.

However for SP I would have a problem with larger maps. Its hard enough tracking down every last unit in heavy fog as it is without adding more area to use.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Hey Voodoo,try playing single player without the timer.I find it much more enjoyable.I know what you mean by having to scour the whole map looking for that last #@**& and having the timer run out!I can understand the necessity for a timer in multiplayer,I guess,but not the single player campaign.
    Tito
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

If you are Oda, you can buy a YA or an arquebusier for 75 koku...
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Senior Member Senior Member The Daimyo's Avatar

I'd love to see maps go up in size, say double what they are now, BUT, one big problem already exists that would need to be modified to suit such maps. The units' state of tiredness.
    If units get VERY TIRED from walking across one of the existing maps, then they are definitly not going to be of any use on a map twice as big.
    Hmmm...
    Sure you can alter that formula, but the reprecussions are going to make playing on the smaller maps out of balance, or at least that's what "they" might tell you. Personally, I don't mind it either way, and in truth I would prefer that my units get some more endurance.

"Fighting a War is running. You must be able to Run when attacking, and Run when defending. When you can't Run anymore, you die."
    (loosely)

------------------
    The Daimyo
    Miaowara "Kakizaki" Tomokato
    @ http://www.planettotalwar.com

Actually, Daimyo, you might get your wish! After all, ENDURANCE is indeed a new stat for the units, according to some of the previews! We're not entirely sure HOW Endurance works yet, but it is supposedly someting you can increase through new dojo types.

-- B)

increasing the man per unit value is only playable if the map size is enlarged by at least 2 times (width)
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....