Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Get off my property

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Get off my property

Did hear about bushes neighbor shot his 12 gauge because he was warming for dove season might I add right in front of the protesters I saw this guy on cnn and it just furthers my belief that hippies and inbreds don't mix
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Default Re: Get off my property

Funny. But where does this thread go from here?
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

wherever the wind takes it

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Bush Neighbor Suffers Protest Fatigue

Monday, August 15, 2005

CRAWFORD, Texas — Protesters outside President Bush's Crawford, Texas, ranch were starting their second week of demonstrations Sunday, leading one neighbor to demonstrate the first signs of protest fatigue.

Larry Mattlage (search) created quite a stir earlier in the day when he fired his shotgun over his property. The Crawford rancher told reporters he was practicing for dove season.

Mattlage expressed frustration about the ongoing anti-war protest taking place near his property, and said other neighbors are also getting aggravated by all of the protest activity on their quiet country road.

"You want something like this in your backyard? Huh, or your front yard? This is our yard right here. We just happen to, in Texas, have a bigger yard than they do in Maryland," Mattlage told reporters.

"I mean, would you like somebody invading your house for a long time and blocking your view and blocking your road? I wake up every morning [with] this crowd, and I go to bed every night with this campground down here on a public road, which I'm paying taxes to, the middle of this road," he said.

Mattlage has been watching throughout the past week as more and more protesters join Cindy Sheehan (search) outside the president's 1,500-acre ranch. Sheehan's son Casey was killed in Iraq in 2004. She says she wants U.S. troops to pull out of Iraq, and she will stay here until Bush speaks with her.

Bush has defended his decision not to meet with Sheehan, with whom he met once before.

''Whether it be here or in Washington or anywhere else, there's somebody who has got something to say to the president, that's part of the job. And I think it's important for me to be thoughtful and sensitive to those who have got something to say. But I think it's also important for me to go on with my life, to keep a balanced life," Bush told Cox News Service during a bicycle ride on Saturday.

On Sunday, Democratic National Committee chairman Howard Dean (search) said Bush should meet with Sheehan.

"Because the president sent her son to Iraq, her son lost his life. I think the president should meet with any parent who has sacrificed their son or daughter for the defense of the United States of America," Dean told a Sunday morning network talk show.

In 2004, Bush met with Sheehan and other grieving families. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., who traveled with Bush the day he met with the families, described the president's mood afterward.

"I have seen him, I have seen his care, and I've seen him grieve. And I'm sure he wouldn't like to hear me say this, but I have seen him afterwards. He was very, very grieved," McCain told "FOX News Sunday."

After Sheehan was joined by other anti-war protesters, pro-Bush demonstrators also traveled to Crawford. One pro-Iraq policy demonstrator said those against the president are not from Texas. Others said if the anti-war protesters succeed in altering U.S. policy, it would put more troops in harm's way.

The increased traffic in Crawford did not affect Bush, first lady Laura Bush or Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice as they traveled Saturday night from the ranch to the Baylor University campus in nearby Waco, where the three attended the Little League Southwest Regional championship game.

But Mattlage said he is frustrated by the traffic — and subsequent side effects of it — in his neighborhood.

"We got a battle of the port-a-potties. They first started going to the bathroom in a five-gallon bucket, then they moved a port-a-pottie and then they got two port-a-potties, and now we got three and if this keeps up they will be all the way down the road," he said. "The only people winning here is the person who cleans the port-a-potties."

Mattlage said he sympathizes with Sheehan, but the crowd that has developed is akin to guests that won't leave.

"When they first came out here, I was sympathetic to their cause, all right. They as American citizens have a right to march, to protest, but it's like company. If you had your brother-in-law in your house for five days, wouldn't it start stinking after a while? You're ready for them to go home."

Mattlage said he respects the anti-war protesters and he respects President Bush, but he is frustrated because both federal and county law enforcement told him they can do nothing to end the anti-war protest.

U.S. Secret Service and McLennan County sheriff's deputies went to Mattlage's home on Sunday afternoon to urge restraint, and the situation appeared to calm down a bit after Mattlage spoke with law enforcement and vented to reporters.

McLennan County Sheriff Larry Lynch said Mattlage didn't violate any law by firing his shotgun on Sunday.

"He's on his own property. He's getting ready for dove season he says," Lynch said adding that had Mattlage shot across the road rather than on his own land, he would have broken state and county laws.

"Everybody needs to use restraint in this situation out here. This is a situation that's taken all these folks by storm and impacted a lot of businesses out here. But so far everybody's been compliant and that's what we are here for, the deputies are here to make sure that this continues on in a peaceful manner. Folks need to comply with all the rules and regulations in the state of Texas and county and that's what we are here for this morning," the sheriff added.

Mattlage said he loves Bush because the Bible tells people to love their neighbors. But he said he is not a politician and is not interested in the president's business.

"All I know, when he gets done with his presidency, he is our neighbor and all of you all and all of this protest is out of here," he said

From fox news

//////////////////////////////////////

I think it is ok.... They have the right to protest and he has the right to Shoot a shot gun in the air
    Formerly ceasar010

Hippies always impose themselves on people who actually have jobs and lives.

What do you all think of Sheehan? Anybody have the balls to give their real opinion.

I dont sympathize 2 things stick out

1. She already met with bush
    2. Her son joined the army the army what do you do in the army Wait for it.......Huh Kill pepole

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

It would suck to be any president's neighbor I think. Still, I watched this guy on TV and he's all too common down here. He makes rednecks look bad. He had parked his truck out there close to where they were, had a partially empty 12 or 18 pack of Keystone (*yuuucccckkk* might as well drink bull whiz) sitting on top of the cooler in the bed. So he gets angry, decides to show off with his shotgun, and fires off a shot. Brilliant.

Maybe he'll end up on the "no-fly" list. Not that it looked like it would effect his travel plans much.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

They have the right to protest and he has his 2nd amendment rights! I dont care If he invites all his friends to bring their shot guns over to fill the air with lead!
    Formerly ceasar010

1. She already met with bush
    And Bush was an ass when it happened. He did not know the name of Ms. Sheehan nor her son's name. You think that is a little problem?

I think the Bush should talk to Sheehan, I mean can't he give up one damn hour of a bike ride to talk to someone. Besides from a purely pragmatic view point it helps him because he talks to her honestly, she either a) leaves, media finds out about missing girl in *insert country* people forget about the protest, Bush wins, b) stays, looks like an ass for getting what she wants and demanding more, losses all credibility except with a few fringe groups, Bush wins.
    Sometimes I slumber on a bed of roses
    Sometimes I crash in the weeds
    One day a bowl full of cherries
    One night I'm suckin' on lemons and spittin' out the seeds
    -Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, Lemons

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ceasar010
    They have the right to protest and he has his 2nd amendment rights! I dont care If he invites all his friends to bring their shot guns over to fill the air with lead!
    If it hits one of them?

You know, shotgun is quite spread out.

And Bush was an ass when it happened. He did not know the name of Ms. Sheehan nor her son's name. You think that is a little problem?
    Those are her words after she said the direct opposite right after her meeting. She completely changed her story after she got in bed with Miky Moore.

Funny, I don't recall any right to brandish a weapon and discharge it while drinking around a crowd. They sure didn't make me aware of that during concealed carry instruction. I don't think Bush or the Secret Service would be too happy with it either. In fact, I would be very nervous discharging a weapon in an area like that, seems a good way to end up on a cold slab at the morgue.

I don't like demonstrations and I don't like guns......

Quote Originally Posted by AntiochusIII
    If it hits one of them?

You know, shotgun is quite spread out.
    If he is getting ready for dove season he has to be using bird shot. If it hits any one it will feel like rain because it has been shot into the air first.

If he was using 00 buck shot....then he could hurt some one when it comes down.

Let me guess you want guns banned with out ever shooting one and listen to every thing the media says about them?

Am I right?
    Formerly ceasar010

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not to mention, all her relatives have signed a letter urging her to stop, and her husband has filed for divorce.

She's using her son's good name to promote herself and her agenda, which seems increasingly like a democrat list (Israel out of Palestine, what's that got to do with it?!?)

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by bmolsson
    I don't like demonstrations and I don't like guns......

Guns do not kill people.... Does your pen mispell words?
    Formerly ceasar010

Guns do not kill people.... Does your pen mispell words?
    I didn't say that guns kill people. I said I don't like guns. And I don't use a pen when posting in this forum. We have invented keyboards over here.....

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Let me guess you want guns banned with out ever shooting one and listen to every thing the media says about them?

Am I right?
    No :)

I just think that it's a bit too hard to shoot a gun out of frustation into the sky like that. Even if you're really frustated. Especially if you are really frustated, as you could accidentally hit something...unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube
    He fired it on his own property. He was within his rights.
    Most of the time such a display, particularly with alcohol involved would get you a trip to jail. Disorderly conduct and reckless endangerment would be the normal concerns--of course those tend to be left ot the discretion of law enforcement as to whether or not they want to bring the person in. Gun owners like this guy make us all look bad.

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

As shown in the article, the Sherrif was a man of common-sense, and realized that the Protesters had overstayed their welcome. He was merely non-violently protesting their protest.

When the individual fired the shotgun in the air - he was no longer non-violently protesting the protest. He crossed a line that he should not have crossed in doing that.

He should of asked the police to insure that the protesters were not trespassing on his property. If he was upset with the demonstration or the noise - he should of filed a complaint with the same sherrif. It is amazing how fast you can get an assembly on public property shut down when citizens begin to file complaints about the activities of the assembly. Especially if such protests begin to trespass upon your property.

Taking a shotgun next to a demonstration - shows a lack of common sense for this individual,
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

As shown in the article, the Sherrif was a man of common-sense, and realized that the Protesters had overstayed their welcome. He was merely non-violently protesting their protest.
    Common sense says an angry drunk man with a gun, who discharges it around a crowd for show should be removed from the presence of protestors. If he can't control himself any better than that, then he has a problem.

Is there any common sense in discharging firearms as non-violent protest? Hell, no!

Who says he was drunk, and whats wrong with shooting a gun on your own property... youd think this was communist russia or something.

I would do the same thing if there were a bunch of crazy hippies on the property line!

If I did not have a gun I would by Fire works...when using them like this guy....there is no difference....he has not threatened any one; he Is using it for the noise factor.
    Formerly ceasar010

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg
    When the individual fired the shotgun in the air - he was no longer non-violently protesting the protest. He crossed a line that he should not have crossed in doing that.

He should of asked the police to insure that the protesters were not trespassing on his property. If he was upset with the demonstration or the noise - he should of filed a complaint with the same sherrif. It is amazing how fast you can get an assembly on public property shut down when citizens begin to file complaints about the activities of the assembly. Especially if such protests begin to trespass upon your property.

Taking a shotgun next to a demonstration - shows a lack of common sense for this individual,
    Good comment...

I would do the same thing if there were a bunch of crazy hippies on the property line!
    And that is why you should not be allowed to have a gun.....

Blog Entries

I wouldn't necessarily use a shotgun to get my way with a bunch of protesters. Maybe send them a polite letter asking them for peace and quiet for a certain amount of time during the day, and if they didn't get the message then I'd start throwing pepper spray grenades and other riot dispersal weapons to get my way.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    Who says he was drunk, and whats wrong with shooting a gun on your own property... youd think this was communist russia or something.
    Looked drunk, acted drunk in the interview, and had a partially empty 12 or 18 pack out in the open with his shotgun leaned up against it. Draw your own conclusion. Perhaps he had someone pitching cans in the air for him as targets?

So was he protesting or preparing for dove season? His statements don't mesh very well...

I saw the interview and he most certainly didnt act drunk. He had a rural texas accent, but made his points clearly enough.

Dont you think the protestors make our country look worse than him?

That much has been obvious for awhile...

If I did not have a gun I would by Fire works...when using them like this guy....there is no difference....he has not threatened any one; he Is using it for the noise factor.
    No he is using it for the intimidation factor. He wants to prevent them from protesting.

Last I saw, this wasn't a right.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    I saw the interview and he most certainly didnt act drunk. He had a rural texas accent, but made his points clearly enough.
    Didn't sound that way to me, and I'm used to the accent.

Dont you think the protestors make our country look worse than him?
    Let's see: Protesting on public right of way...or discharging a weapon after drinking to intimidate protestors, then making up some lie about what he's up to.

No, I think the idiot liar with a gun looks far worse.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast