Thread: EA advertise online campaign for Shogun?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

While looking for tech support for a very pervasive problem that affects 4 different video cards I have tried,
    I found this!

Enter sixteenth century Japan as the Daimyo (warlord) of one of seven clans seeking to use the strategies of Sun Tzu to seat you as Shogun - the ruler of all of Japan.

In Shogun: Total War, you'll manage battles of up to 5,000 warriors solo or online with samurai, archers, and cavalry as you build cities, research units, and train recruits.

Or take a stealthier route by killing key generals or other Daimyo with secretive ninja, beautiful geisha, or convert enemy clans with Buddhist monks.

Sourced from:- http://www.ea.com/nucleus/games/mm_shogun00/home.jsp
    [/QUOTE]

We have had many enquiries here about how to play campaign online, I think this spiel by EA themselves may have been the culprit.

C'mon guys
    ...solo or online with samurai, archers, and cavalry as you build cities, research units, and train recruits.
    this is a crock, right?

If you don't read the box when you take it off the shelf, but purchase on this spiel any reasonable person would assume campaign is avaiable online!

...convert enemy clans with Buddhist monks.
    Only by killing them...

If EA can't even get their facts straight about what the game can and cannot do, how can we ever hope they'll give us decent support.

I love this game.
    But I wish it wasn't with EA.

------------------
    DoragonBarocca of Clan Doragon
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

I have to say that's a pretty good point on the advertising copy.

But as the Legendary Ninja (see thread on Mongol Invasion forum) points out, sarcasm is something nobody on here is obviously very good at, so there's no reason to make any comments about what seems to be slightly misleading errors in packaging reading.

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Granted,
    a little sarcastic, but the spiel is way off base on several points, and remember it's an official EA site. They should have valid information. (*wishes to add bitter comment, but refrains*)

I was highly annoyed to find such erraneous advertising material at EA's own support site for Shogun.

Often I see people being mildly roasted for assuming online campaign is available, after finding the above quote I can see why sane people would assume it was available...
    (*wishes to add bitter comment, but refrains*)

I have also become very frustrated with the EA support system...
    (*wishes to ... you get the point..*)

No matter that the card is brand new out of the box, has the latest drivers bundled with it, and these drivers work with UT, CS, StarCraft, 2150 and a host of others,
    - according to the EA support system it's user error! and I should get the latest drivers...??? (*wishes to ... and again..*)

My only solace is the upcoming patch, and the hope some 'fixes' for the graphics code will be in it...

------------------
    DoragonBarocca of Clan Doragon
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Senior Member Senior Member The Daimyo's Avatar

I hear ya Barocca, I feel your pain. I too await the almighty patch (or at least the BETA patch for testing, if we are going to even get to....hmm).
    Such blab on an official site is bad form. Dan, me, you, we're all entitled to spread rumors, and incite mayhem with such rumors and misinformation, BUT the official sites shouldn't engage paying customers or fan sites in that manner.
    The Technical Help and Bug Reporting section is still the most unhelpful piece of brown bagged, corn stuffed, flea bit, melarchy this side of the Milky Way that I have seen in a long time. What makes it worse is that we've complained about EA's support (and lack there-in of) since GroundHog Day 2000. Noone's giving a rats cheese about it over there me thinks.
    With patch 1.13 - I am guessing 99% of the bugs and glitches will be snuffed. Problem is, the expansion will most likely make some new problems, which may elicit another patch.
    1.14?

I dunno, same as anyone here, yet.
    I place faith in them tho, that they want to make it as perfect and as compatible as possible with everyone and every machine.
    Wouldn't you?

------------------
    The Daimyo
    Miaowara "Kakizaki" Tomokato
    @ http://www.planettotalwar.com

[This message has been edited by The Daimyo (edited 02-04-2001).]