Thread: Armour

Question Armour

How do the armour upgrades work? Do they change your defensive rating or something else ? i have been checking the form but see no specific information on this. Is an armour upgrade better than a valor up grade, or is that a matter of personal choice ?

Default Re: Armour

Hi pratttroy, welcome to the forum!

Armour upgrades improve your melee and missile defense.

Valour upgrades improve attack, melee defense and morale.

So if you re going against large numbers of missile troops I say the armour upgrade is better, otherwise valour should be your choice.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binaries and those who don't" - unknown source

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Welcome to the Org prattroy

As Daniel stated, armor upgrades add +1 to your defense (helps in melee) and +1 to your armor (helps prtoect against missiles).

A Valor upgrade adds +1 to attack, +1 to defense, and +2 to morale (but it adds nothing to armor). So in most cases valor is more important. I like to add armor to my missile troops since I tend to put them out front shooting (and getting shot).

Weapons add one to attack. There is no way to improve the charge bonus.

And armor increases the rate at which a unit gets fatigued.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

It's better to give armour to low armour units as then their defence increases and they are not too heavily weighed down with armour. It is better to have a maximum of 7 armour in the desert. If you are playing in the campaign it is often better to attack desert regions early so when you provinces are developped and you have lots of armour upgrades your elite units are not severely fatigued.

Thanks for the input.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Armour is especially good for armoured units. It makes them unstoppable. Look at Kataphraktoi.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

*Attacks Kats with Billmen*
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by danielrech View Post
    Armour upgrades improve your melee and missile defense.

Valour upgrades improve attack, melee defense and morale.

So if you re going against large numbers of missile troops I say the armour upgrade is better, otherwise valour should be your choice.
    Also, armour increases the effectiveness of the enemy's armour piercing troops! Their unit receives a bonus based on your unit's armour divided by 2 and then rounded DOWN. Therefore, I try not to armour up units to EVEN armour stats.

For instance, don't armour bonus most unit production provinces (unless you go for the double bonus), as most units are sitting with an odd armour level. Adding a +1 will actually aid the enemies AP units. Wait for resources/time to allow you to upgrade to the +1 and immediately upgrade to +2.

Exceptions include (but not limited to): Woodsmen, Gallowglasses, etc. ... they have even armour stats... adding +1 won't aid the enemy's AP... but +2 will. Maybe, do +1 and then wait for an opportunity to do +2 & +3, immediately.?... but that would be pretty late in the game to be +3ing armour in provinces.?.

First I've ever heard of armor upgrades improving the "defense" stat.

I'm a little less certain about the odd and even armor, now that I suspect the computer might be using fractions.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Oh wow, answering to a question after 8 years...

As for the armour in itself, if you look in the text files (or using Gnome Editor), you can see that they are pretty well defined. I don't think it's about fractions here.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?