Thread: Ilegal manouver?

Ok, I don't want to start sounding off, but I just played a friendly 2v2, where one of the enemy managed to march his men around my flank by using the 'red zone' at the edge of the map. Now I've never seen that before, and certainly can't do it myself - was this guy cheating? If he was, then I believe in a good ol' policy of naming and shaming - I don't care if it was a friendly or not.

Anyone seen this before?

Kyodaispan

------------------
    All Honour to the Brothers!

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

Answered this one last week...but for the life of me I can't find you the thread

Anyway,

It is possible to go into the red by grouping units and aiming just inside the red indicator. In order to get there some units will travel thru the red-zone. However, they will not stay there...once they've reached their destination they return inside the normal game area of play.

As you can see it's not a cheat...just a feature
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

thanks - ok, I'll forgive the guy who did it... )

Mind you, its a bit sneaky... a taisho with honour wouldn't attempt such a manouver! - basically makes your units immune until they come back onto the map proper.

Steeleye
    All Honour to the Brothers!

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

To me, it's a cheat, even if not so onerous as an Escaper.

If you and I were playing chess online and due to some program design flaw I moved a pawn down the side of the board and beyond you, would THAT be cheating? If so, I fail to see the difference.

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

it might be considered unfair only if the opposing player wasn't aware that you could do that (in your example, moving the pawn down the side of the chessboard). But if you both are aware of this feature, you can both use it and know that it may be used against you.
    also, sometimes the game may do something that is unintended. perhaps your opponent clicked his army to move to a location and the army just went along that path. I've seen it happen when chasing fleeing units that regroup within this red-zone: the fleeing unit stops but I am unable to attack him since he is not in a legal place to be attacked, consequently, he can only stand there until my own units back off and give him some room to "enter" the board so the player can direct them. Simply having the unit present on the map within this Red Zone doesn't constitute cheating, to me.

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Here's the thread I think Black Ship was talking about, http://pub24.ezboard.com/fshoguntota...cID=1600.topic

So, If I move a unit to the edge of the red zone I can prevent the opponent unit re-entering the field of play?

------------------
    DoragonBarocca of Clan Doragon
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Soly, units rallying in the "red zone" is unavoidable since it happens more or less by coincidence. Deliberately moving your army along the extreme flanks so that some of your units are in the "red zone" and thus safe from attack is hardly in the spirit of the game. Having indestructible units by taing advantage of a slight flaw in the game IMO smacks of at least unsporting gamesmanship if not outright cheating. Of course these extreme flanking units are probably vulnerable to the rout bug. On the other hand I've yet to see either of these occurances.

------------------
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

This sounds like a bit of a swing and roundabouts sort of thing.

After all moving units through the 'Red Zone' to turn a flank is only an issue if the defending army has its flank resting on the 'Red Zone' and thinks it is immune from being outflanked.

Both tactic's are a bit dodgy.

The Moral: If you don't want the attacker to use then 'Red Zone' keep your armies flank away from it.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis