Thread: question about Holland (a strange one)

He who controls Arrakis.. Member 71-hour Ahmed's Avatar

Default question about Holland (a strange one)

Just came back from a holiday in the strangely flat land of the Netherlands, and I have a question. It may seem a little strange but its reall really bugging me... if you are aware of the answer tell me before I go maaad.

The Question: Why do so many toilets in the Netherlands have A SHELF IN THEM..??? The friend's flat I stayed in had one, as well as half the restaurants and museum. Neither my friend nor I have never seen or heard of this type of toilet design outside of Holland, so why do the dutch want to see (and smell) their, ahem,"business" so badly? The amount of Ajax that flat toilet had stuck down it this week...

Seriously, this was a major source of curiousity in my little mind. I've spent more time thinking about this than I spent in the Maraithuis and Rijksmuseum combined...
    The scary thing about leaving the Org for a while and then coming back is the exponential growth of "gah!" on your return...

Default Re: question about Holland (a strange one)

I know that they have them in germany. when i was visitnig my grandparents there (now deseased) they had a shelf in the toilet as well. And seen it dozens of times in germany.

They said it to inspect the excrements - and so to detect anything which isnt normal, so it can get fixed. Just a healthy check up on the bodily functions.

That's what they say in germany, I'd assume it's true for NL as well.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Question Re: question about Holland (a strange one)

What kind of a shelf are we talking about here?

Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

I lived in Holland. And yes it is quite disconcerting.

However, it does have a couple of advantages

1) You can see the stool for any problems
    2) The water doesn't splash up when the stool drops in our deeper toilets
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre
    What kind of a shelf are we talking about here?

A very cra$py one I think...
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Surely the water is clear enough that you could see any differences...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

LOL, that's an interesting idea.

Definitely better than having the toilet line-out connected to the shower line-out, then have a partial clog somewhere farther down, so that you get to inspect your terds every time you take a shower....

DA

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    Surely the water is clear enough that you could see any differences...
    Well....not always.

Hmmm, I assume you mean the shelf in the toilet that prevents your... excrements from directlydropping into the drain, right? I personally always favourtoilets which have those as it prevents the splashing up of water (against your bottom) as your poo drops. (So it must be as Kiwitt said). Also, when you're used to it you don't really mind seeing it. Checking if anything funny is in there may be usefull as well (although I usually just flush it...)

I at least prefer it to the (luckily getting extinct) French toilet practice of crouching over a hole in the ground...

Sad you had to contemplate this instead of taking a good look at the Mauritshuis (not Maraithuis) or the Rijksmuseum...even though the Rijksmuseum nowadays is really a ripoff... (most of it is closed due to reconstruction works...they only show tourists a little bit of it)
    Last edited by Brutus; 09-26-2005 at 09:01.

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

A friend of mine commented on this feature of German loos recently. We were both impressed, as is so often the case, at the sheer organisation of the Germans. A whole nation carefully inspecting their poo each morning for any abnormality, presented on a little shelf designed for the purpose. Remarkable.

I at least prefer it to the (luckily getting extinct) French toilet practice of crouching over a hole in the ground...
    I encountered one of these horrors in Switzerland, of all places, only a few months ago. I imagined they had long gone the way of the dinosaur. It seemed to have been cleaned to the traditional rural French standard as well, ie not for at least six months. (It was Francophone Switzerland though)
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

You'll find those hole all over the place in Spain and Portugal, still.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I saw these toilets in Austria. From what I was told, the shelf is there for inspection purposes. Pork is a large part of the diet, the shelf makes it easier to check for worms. Fortunately, alcohol was the largest part of my diet when I was there, so I figured I could safely skip the inspection.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

This is strange , I live in Holland and I still have trouble picturing this toilet in my mind..

As far as I can tell , the toilets I have in my house are quite ordinary..

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: question about Holland (a strange one)

Quote Originally Posted by Sjakihata
    You'll find those hole all over the place in Spain and Portugal, still.

all over the place...not really....i live here and the only place i remember ever seing one of those things was in a camping ground....and that was a long time ago when i was a small kid.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

We do not sow.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

These "holes on the ground" (not verbally though) are standard practice over here. (Doesn't matter what toilets are like anyway... See my location description. )
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

He who controls Arrakis.. Member 71-hour Ahmed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    This is strange , I live in Holland and I still have trouble picturing this toilet in my mind..

As far as I can tell , the toilets I have in my house are quite ordinary..

Trust me your country has them. Although you do have plenty of normal ones as well.

Places that I can recall off the top of my head that had them include the Esther museum and the restaurant Babellen, both in Den Haag (and both of which are pretty good). But thats not conclusive. The Domtoren in Utrecht may also have them, I am not sure... (you can see how this has scarred my mind).

I can get the not splashing thing, but the inspection sounds like a co-incidental benefit- those who check will probably do so anyway. But this is nothing like as easy to keep clean as what I'm used to.

And its not that weird a thread. I could have started a thread on nose hair removal... now THAT would be weird.
    The scary thing about leaving the Org for a while and then coming back is the exponential growth of "gah!" on your return...

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Why is everyone bashing the hole? The hole is my favorite. It's much more natural.

I am amazed this thread is still open.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Google "german toilets" for all kinds of interesting explanations of the poo-shelf (my favorite descriptive phrase found, "the poop deck"). I will not post links, due to the heavy use of scatalogical terminology (amusing as it may be).
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by 71-hour Ahmed
    Trust me your country has them. Although you do have plenty of normal ones as well.

Places that I can recall off the top of my head that had them include the Esther museum and the restaurant Babellen, both in Den Haag (and both of which are pretty good). But thats not conclusive. The Domtoren in Utrecht may also have them, I am not sure... (you can see how this has scarred my mind).

I can get the not splashing thing, but the inspection sounds like a co-incidental benefit- those who check will probably do so anyway. But this is nothing like as easy to keep clean as what I'm used to.

And its not that weird a thread. I could have started a thread on nose hair removal... now THAT would be weird.
    Escher Museum and Babbelen. And does the Domtoren (which is a church's belltower) have toilets???
    Last edited by Brutus; 09-27-2005 at 11:18.

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus
    Escher Museum and Babbellen. And does the Domtoren (which is a church's belltower) have toilets???
    Babbellen in The Hague? That would be Babylon, the shopping mall. Does that count as a museum these days?
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianII
    Babbellen in The Hague? That would be Babylon, the shopping mall. Does that count as a museum these days?
    Brasserie Babbelen, Kettingstraat 1b, The Hague. I've eaten there once.