Thread: New Interview

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

Well there is a new interview at Gamepro here http://www.gamepro.com/
    There is a link on the front of the site for it cant seem to get teh article itself.

But there is some interesting information there in he admits they thought that they could get away with the koku cheat in higher difficulty. They also have a icon for heirs.
    He also explained that discipline has to do eith the way the units keep there formation.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon
    DP is correct - Shiro

You know, I wasn't totally sold on the XPack before, but it just keeps looking better and better. Better AI, not just cheating AI? NICE! Looks damn good! Whats the latest on when it's coming out?

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

in the interview: "We had the AI use a koku cheat, but some of the players really picked up on that."
    That would be us, guys. Take a bow

True, true, you guys were the ones who picked up on that, I remember hearing about the AI koku cheat since I registered here a few months back. Congratualtions on outsmarting the programmers guys.

What a great interview! It's chock full of good news. Regardless of what anyone thinks about the new units, all the other enhancements are worthwhile in themselves.

No mention of endurance as an attribute though. Just discipline.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

It's about time they did something about those damn cheating AI.
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

Yet again you beat me to it, and yet again I don't mind. The URL is pretty obvious on the main page, but I'll provide a direct link anyway, for convenience.

And yes, it looks... Oh dear, "stellar" seems so poor and inadequate. I hope this doesn't turn into another hyping-to-death though....

Anyway, Mr. de Plater elaborates very nicely on the "assorted improvements" that appear at the bottom of every innovation list. Drag-able group formations and assigning unit destinations sounds particularly juicy. They *do* listen to us (As if we'd ever had doubts ).

Discipline is also explained, and it sounds like an important addition... Some people (yes, Magyar-sama I'm talking to you... ) may even prefer low-discipline troops to high-discipline ones. Indeed, no mention of Endurance... Where was it mentioned originally, anyway?

------------------
    "Learning is to a man as the leaves and branches are to a tree, and it can be said that he should not be without it."
    - Takeda Shingen
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I especially like the ability to decide where
    and when you can reinforce during a battle.The improved diplomatic features,bribery of enemy generals and AI taking into account your other alliances and your loyalty at keeping them will be fantastic.Come on SPRING!
    Tito
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

Some interesting stuff on Ninja.
    "Ninja have the unique ability to be able to hide at any point on the battlefield, not just in forests. They are also able to fire missiles at short range and fight effectively hand-to-hand. This makes them ideal for sneaking behind enemy lines and setting ambushes, which can be a great way to take out the enemy Daimyo."

This might be taken to an extreme (witness the Geisha) and then you'll be too afraid to take a Daimyo into battle ever.

Lotta mistakes and typos I had to fix.

[This message has been edited by Shiro (edited 02-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Shiro (edited 02-08-2001).]
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

I'm ready!!!!

Gregoshi
    A Member of Clan Doragon
    This space intentionally left blank

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

Sounds great! I might play the single-player game more now. I like it that they will let us upgarde existing troops in higher level dojos...no more low honor troops clutterign up your late-game armies

I hope the AI watching US in our alliance making/breaking will help, but it was the honorless AI that was the problem in the diplomacy model, not honorless human players!
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

Before anybody goes crazy, they mean ninja stars, not explosive devises.

I like the disbanding of units and buildings. Thats a definite plus. Well I'm not sure why I would disband a building but units is great. It appears they did listen to all of our suggestions.

------------------
    Lanza
    Shogun Totalwar Hints and Strategies
    www.geocities.com/totalwarshogun
    Please feel free to stop by and contribute your strategies...
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are
    Lanza
    Shogun Totalwar Hints and Strategies
    www.geocities.com/totalwarshogun
    Please feel free to stop by and contribute your strategies...
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

I guess you use the destroy buildings (as a Mongol player, anyway) in order to use the "Scorched Earth" tatcic: you invade a Japanese held provice, win, as usual every structure gets downgraded by one, but then when it looks like the Japanese is about to re-take the province, and might win, you can simply destroy everything, thus denying him any resources when he gains control again.
    If this feature carries over to the normal STW campaign, then it would work well in port attacks whereby a small force just attacks and moves from province to province completely destroying any enemy infrastructure (which doesn't happen as effectively when this tactic is attempted right now)