Thread: Vlachs, any Vlachs here?

Default Vlachs, any Vlachs here?

I just want to know more about your people and culture.

And how many of you there are nowadays and what your culture's prospects are (secure? likely to disappear soon?)

Thanks in advance to any lurking Vlachs.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Default Re: Vlachs, any Vlachs here?

I'm 1/4 vlach.

What's a vlach?
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

A vlach is a very goodlooking person...

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    A vlach is a very goodlooking person...
    ...But earlier you said you were only one-quarter Vlach, so that implies....

oops! Never mind...

Seamus
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

A Vlach is indeed a very good looking person.(us Romanians are very good looking men , and beautiful women also!!!! those who visited Romania know very well )

A Vlach comes from the Balkans, more specifically from Romania and Bulgaria.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

It sounds a bit... like retching, though, doesn't it.
    Sono Pazzi Questi Romani
    Paul Peru: Holier than thy bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    A Vlach is indeed a very good looking person.(us Romanians are very good looking men , and beautiful women also!!!! those who visited Romania know very well )

A Vlach comes from the Balkans, more specifically from Romania and Bulgaria.
    Actually, I know four transported Romanians in person. Only one of them is attractive, but all of the pictures she's shown me of her (female) Romanian friends both in town and in the old country were basically gorgeous. I guess Vlachs don't react well with North American water, or something.

"Vlach" is apparently, from Simetrical's post in the EB forum where he corrected me, another word for "Wallachian" - an ethnic group composed mainly of people whose ancestry can (or theoretically could) be traced back to the Thracian - as I understand it, the less Hellenised ones. Romanian is one of the major Romance languages, but it looks nothing like French, Italian or Spanish, at least to me.

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Peru
    It sounds a bit... like retching, though, doesn't it.
    Many of the Balkan words sound like that. Names like Ratko, Slobodon, and Bosnia Hurts-to-go-in-there, and of course some place called Garage Door. Much of the region is in desperate need of some vowels. It's like Wheel of Fortune where the contestants have no money for vowels...

And if anyone takes ANY of what I just wrote seriously...it's all in jest, relax. You can't really enjoy other languages and cultures without appreciating a bit of juvenile humor about how odd some parts sound in other languages. (Eight in Spanish brings a smile to me whenever I hear someone say an 888 telephone number..."ocho-ocho-ocho." In Malay/Indonesian 999 sounds pretty funny to me, at least when some people say it--it is an emergency number in some places.)
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.