Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BI Extra Hordes and Unlocked Factions Mod'

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Default Re: BI Extra Hordes and Unlocked Factions Mod'

Sounds good...

Can I do the little R-B legionary fix over this upgrade? I mean I would prefer the 'local' legionary, ratherthan Comitatenses.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Thanks for the info Player1.

If you want to stick to the original British legionary then, just copy what player1 has posted over the British Legionary entry that comes in my mod's descr_model_battle.txt file. I had intended to leave the alternative model as optional, but thought it would confuse too many people, and all along there was a simple workable solution.

Regardless, CA better fix all the messed up models in the next patch or I'll clench my fist and wave it angrily in the direction of their employees. And possibly I'll chomp at their legs so they resemble their stupid legionaries.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

I wish I had some idea as to how to mod units. I'd immediately add Sarmatian Archers in. Just take the skin from one of the sarmatian horse archers, complete with armor, remove the horse, make it regular unit size, throw in a centurion, and presto, elite archer unit, complete with long range trait. Bump Buclearri back to level two archer building and throw these guys in at stage three and its golden. It's just that the unit list seems so bare when compared to the lengthy ones the Romans always seem to get. It makes teching up almost pointless as I feel like I'm not "unlocking" some new and uber unit.

If anything I'd suggest removing the shrines to Mithras and Sol Invictus and give them Celtic shrines instead to build, would fit in better (IMO) and maybe allow them to recruit some kind of typically barbarian units through them (Barring Druids and Berserkers naturally) so as to allow a choice for a Romano-British leader to get "in touch with his roots" if he so feels the need. Meh, just me day-dreaming really, it'll probably take a whole lot of work.
    All men will one day die, but not every man will truely live.

Quote Originally Posted by professorspatula
    Thanks for the info Player1.

If you want to stick to the original British legionary then, just copy what player1 has posted over the British Legionary entry that comes in my mod's descr_model_battle.txt file. I had intended to leave the alternative model as optional, but thought it would confuse too many people, and all along there was a simple workable solution.
    Yeah figured that much later on.
    I always talk before I think.

Anyway I began to add units the mecenary file, and remove some (Veteranii all over the place), and tweaked them so that they might not be the same all over. Merc Foederatii far better in Germania.

Arguably Britain got the most interesting mix with Graal Knights, Gallows, Kerns, two Sarmatian units, and it had Bucellari and Veteranii but I removed those when the list became too long.

Persia finally got the Sughdans it need... And most Hippo-toxotai got its cost lowered (a lot more expensive than Alans which are superior at XP 1).

I even added a massive host of Merc Herdsmen to the Steppe (figured that a lot of them wold be willing to join any passing army).

I find it is now far more balanced and reasonable. Units have proper XP in thier homes or where such units were good.

If you're tweaking mercenary files, might I suggest you add 'Mercenary Onagers'. The unit exists, just it was removed from the mercenary list. I've added them to Northern Italy and one of the Persian merc pools, but with a low frequency so they are quite rare - though not as rare as elephants.

I wish I had some idea as to how to mod units. I'd immediately add Sarmatian Archers in. Just take the skin from one of the sarmatian horse archers, complete with armor, remove the horse, make it regular unit size, throw in a centurion, and presto, elite archer unit, complete with long range trait.
    Tis quite simple actually. There's a few steps involved, but it isn't very difficult to add such a unit. Head off to the scriptorium and there should be a few threads on how to create and modify units. The only thing that is a bit more tricky is creating unit cards for the new unit. But there's already a merc unit that has the same armour and it's cards just require a bit of recolouring. Perhaps if I got a bit of time later on I'll make the unit for you myself.

If you're tweaking mercenary files, might I suggest you add 'Mercenary Onagers'. The unit exists, just it was removed from the mercenary list. I've added them to Northern Italy and one of the Persian merc pools, but with a low frequency so they are quite rare - though not as rare as elephants.
    I have...

I added them to Central Europe, just in the path of the Hordes, just so they might pick it up and use it.

And the Merc Hounds of Culann should be interesting.

Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar

Hello,

Does this mod, or rather is this mod, compatible with the Darth Mod changes that made unit movement more normal? I have the Darth mod installed right now.

"We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

"The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

Apparently putting the Hordes Mod on top of the BUG-fixer results in the Goths speaking Greek once more on the strat map.

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

bi\data\sounds\events.dat needs to be deleted or renamed for sound fix to work.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

@Pinder - from my understanding of it, it should be 100% compatible.

I don't know if it remains so if you add Player1's Bug-Fixer into the mid, though.

Maybe I'll try that!

Had a lot of fun last night, managed to beat down the celts but it lead to a rather silly ending. Once I conquered their last settlement, Tara, the Celts formed a horde. Seeing as how they were on Ireland, they couldnt exactly flee, so their entire army was literally defiled by my newly conquered cities towers and my near full stack army. Maybe the Celts shouldnt be able to go horde, it doesnt seem to make much sense and only leads to mindless slaughter of helpless fools. Not that I mind mindless slaughter, but this slaughter had very little meaning to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    @Pinder - from my understanding of it, it should be 100% compatible.

I don't know if it remains so if you add Player1's Bug-Fixer into the mid, though.

Maybe I'll try that!
    Good to know. Thanks.

By the way: your pretty good.

"We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

"The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by Darius
    Had a lot of fun last night, managed to beat down the celts but it lead to a rather silly ending. Once I conquered their last settlement, Tara, the Celts formed a horde. Seeing as how they were on Ireland, they couldnt exactly flee, so their entire army was literally defiled by my newly conquered cities towers and my near full stack army. Maybe the Celts shouldnt be able to go horde, it doesnt seem to make much sense and only leads to mindless slaughter of helpless fools. Not that I mind mindless slaughter, but this slaughter had very little meaning to it.
    Well I'm aware of the Celts being stuck in Ireland as a horde, although it still makes them a bit trickier to defeat. See it as the Celtics making a last stand to regain their homeland. You can't just take a few men across to kill them as they'll just form a massive horde and take their island back. This is especially true early on when you don't have a strong army yet. You probably have to build a sizable force before wanting to kill off the celts for good. If they still have any ships, they can in theory escape with their horde across the seas, although they probably won't. The other reason for allowing them to be a horde is if you decide to play as the celts and want to storm Europe as a horde. It's nice to have the option.

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

been playing this mod for a bit now, and i'd like to say thanks to Professor Spatula....Awesome mod man!

any future plans?
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

Cheers.

Future plans? Well I intend to acquire much wealth and perhaps form my own travelling circus, but in the meantime, and as far as the mod is concerned, I'll be adding an optional campaign for those other unplayable factions that people keep crying about because they can't play as them.

And for a bit of insane fun or an extra challenge as the West Empire Romans, here's an alternative file that will turn hordes into massive unstoppable forces. It creates 1 horde unit per 100 people in the settlement, up to a maximum of 320 units (16 full stack armies). The minimum number of horde units created is 140. That's pretty big.

Download here: http://disko.co.uk/files/silly_hordes.zip

Unzip into your BI\Data folder. Rename the current descr_sm_factions.txt file to something else, then rename the new descr_sm_factions_daft.txt to descr_sm_factions.txt.

And for some silly fun, you can form your own giant horde at the start of the campaign. Merely pick a faction that has one settlement and can horde, then bring up the console and type: add_population Settlement_name 4000 (where Settlement_name is, type the name of your settlement, using a capital letter at the start, and an underscore instead of a space, eg: add_population Campus_sillytown 4000). Keep typing it in until you get 30000+ people, then form a horde. Lo and behold, a massive army is created big enough to plunder most of the known world. To get the population of the settlement back towards normal, sack it and gain loads of money in the process before going on to kill everyone else. Muhahaha. Obviously it's a bit daft. It does add an incredible challenge to the non-horde factions though, plus if you form a giant horde, you can send half of the horde on a 'peace-keeping' mission to protect a chosen ally faction from being wiped out.

My Horde's bigger than your Horde! The Vandals soon regret killing my entire Goth family and army.

To the Professor,

Regarding your future plans: have you considered revising the map? Seleucos I Nicator has a new map the: "Revisio Cartae Geographicae" on this same board. His work appears to add some provinces and cities that were historically and stragetically significant. Seleucos claims it also helps the various hordes along their way instead of them sitting around in the wilds.

I would like to install his work along with yours but am affraid both cannot be together.

Aside from the Romano-British campaign, any new map should work fine with the mod. The new descr_strat.txt for the map would have to be edited to allow some of the factions to be playable again (ie move some faction names to the playable part), and the new map images my mod adds might need to be copied into the folder the new map uses. The only problems I can see is with emergent factions like the Romano-British. These must be modded in by adding family members and possibly starting settlements to the descr_strat.txt file. That's slightly more tricky. I'll look into it.

Unfortunately I've been too busy blasting people with machine guns in Counter Strike Source lately to update the mod further but I'll resume things soon.

Aside from the Romano-British campaign, any new map should work fine with the mod. The new descr_strat.txt for the map would have to be edited to allow some of the factions to be playable again (ie move some faction names to the playable part), and the new map images my mod adds might need to be copied into the folder the new map uses. The only problems I can see is with emergent factions like the Romano-British. These must be modded in by adding family members and possibly starting settlements to the descr_strat.txt file. That's slightly more tricky. I'll look into it.

Unfortunately I've been too busy blasting people with machine guns in Counter Strike Source lately to update the mod further but I'll resume things soon.
    Actualy I tried... I was intrigued by his claims, but I couldn't get it to work no mater how I tried. I must have missed something.

I ended up having to reinstall BI.... Grrr...

the eagle-eyed Magussen Member Magussen's Avatar

As usual, the Professor is correct, and I am currently playing the "more hordes" mod on the "more regions" map.
    I prudently let the Romano British faction in emergent and thus non-playable status.
    The two modifications go along quite well.
    I also raised the max number units in hordes and lowered the minimum number, that makes the importance of the starting settlement more meaningful, no more huge numbers pouring out of a depopulated hamlet.
    I am also thinking of reducing the time needed to produce some units, I feel that people able to become instantly a horde should not have to wait 5 years to muster 10 units of spearmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Magussen
    As usual, the Professor is correct, and I am currently playing the "more hordes" mod on the "more regions" map.
    I prudently let the Romano British faction in emergent and thus non-playable status.
    The two modifications go along quite well.
    I also raised the max number units in hordes and lowered the minimum number, that makes the importance of the starting settlement more meaningful, no more huge numbers pouring out of a depopulated hamlet.
    I am also thinking of reducing the time needed to produce some units, I feel that people able to become instantly a horde should not have to wait 5 years to muster 10 units of spearmen.

Did you have to perform any of the surgery the Professor mentioned? Can I simply imposed the "more regions" map onto his mod? I'm hesitant to do so as my skills are very limited.

Pindar, just make a backup file of whatever you try to replace so that if you have any problems you can go back, fix it, and try again with a different approach. The best way to learn how to mod is through simple trial and error sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius
    Pindar, just make a backup file of whatever you try to replace so that if you have any problems you can go back, fix it, and try again with a different approach. The best way to learn how to mod is through simple trial and error sometimes.
    That's true enough. I just don't know which files to change.

I changed all the files from the "more regions" mod into the "more hordes" mod. I then went and changed the descr_strat.txt adding all the factions from the Professor's mod to the playable field. When going into the game all the Professor's factions appear as playable. When I select a faction and click the continue arrow (which should launch the actual game) I get kicked back to the screen to choose to the load or start a new campaign. Any ideas what I did wrong or what else should be changed?

the eagle-eyed Magussen Member Magussen's Avatar

Might be you did not delete the map .rwm file....
    Otherwise I cannot help you much since I did it in the other order, which makes more sense to me ( first more hordes, then more regions, then the adjustments the Prof said to make more playable factions).

Quote Originally Posted by Magussen
    Might be you did not delete the map .rwm file....
    Otherwise I cannot help you much since I did it in the other order, which makes more sense to me ( first more hordes, then more regions, then the adjustments the Prof said to make more playable factions).
    I didn't delete the .rwm file. I'll do so.

The order you desribed is the same procedure I followed.

Caged for your safety Member RabidGibbon's Avatar

What have I done wrong here? It happens in both campaigns and seems to affect all cities.
    When loading the city (for siege battles or just to look around) I get lots and lost of these messages

Error: Filename doesn't exist:data/models_building/barbarian_great_market_med.cas

The bit in italics tends to vary amongst lots of building types. (And their my Italics by the way).

Wow for a second I thought you just really burnt a barbarian city down to absolutely nothing somehow. No clue whats happening there.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Barbarian: Where's my cottage?

Hello Professor & Everyone!

I've downloaded the v 1.3 mod, Prof. made.

As I browsed this site, I found a v 1.22 patch!

I have RTW & BI.

My question is do I just install the 1.3 mod found in the beginning of this thread or do I also install the v 1.22 patch on top of that too?

Thanks for your help ladies and gents, preciate' it!

Hellas1

Hello.

You just need the 1.3 version of the mod. The patch is for older versions.

I've been meaning to update the mod further but been too busy with other things.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast