Thread: Let\'s talk Harvests some more....CA/DT

Unless, someone knows something specific in contrary, in my experience harvests can be "effected" upon, but not "controlled".

It appears to me that, the higher the average loyalty of your provinces, the better the harvests.

This is what adjusting your tax rate is all about. My habit is, in the autmun, to set the rate at either Punitive or High; and after the harvest, in the winter, set the tax rate to very low.

Also, I think I've noticed that relative stability ("peace") and/or victories have an effect on your harvest as well.

I don't believe the above effects harvests in a great way, but in a "key" way; and strongly feel it effects situations such as this:

>>Sometimes I'll get like -25%, -25%, -25%, -50%, -25%, -50%, average, then really good.
    Damn, its about time we get MP Campaign!!!

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

What I would like to know is if a bad harvest
    year affects all the clans or just the human player.It would seem to make more sense to effect at least multiple clans because the underlying cause of a bad harvest would be weather conditions for that year.Unfortunately with the "koku cheat" built into the game at the harder levels it wouldn't make much difference.Be nice if your spies could report on your rivals harvest each year,very useful information when deciding to attack.
    Tito
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Just because the Florida's Orange crop is hit hard doesn't mean that the Georgia's Peach crop is in trouble.

I have no idea how to influence crow production. I'll get cycles of bad harvests when I'm attacking, defending, or doing nothing.

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

I'm thinking that's it's random and that it'll be a cold day in Hades before any such
    tweaking occurs. Hope I'm wrong on both counts, tho.

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Southpaw Samurai Member Ii Naomasa's Avatar

One thing we have to remember about harvests in Japan, VoodooChild is that while Japan is about as long as the eastern coast of the United States, the most fertile land exists in an area smaller than the distance between the far borders of Georgia and Florida. A fairly consistent climate across the island and the reliance on pretty much the same crop does often add up to the whole island having poor harvests if it's just because of general temperature/precipitation. Now, natural disasters and short, but powerful weather effects (such as hurricanes) can decimate crops in one area and leave others fine, but Japan has suffered a number of times through country-wide food shortages. The Gempei War, the largest scale war Japan had seen up to that time, had actually been put on hold because near famine like conditions meant no general could support troops marching around.

It would be nice if there was, in addition to the single-area random hits, if there was potential group hits, where a number of provinces would be affected by lower or higher koku. I suppose the random clan harvests (we'll find out if they're synchronized when we get to try the multiplayer campaign) works in that sometimes nearly all of Japan is poorly affected, while other times only a few have bad seasons.

As for any control over the harvests, I've given up on personally determining if there's any way to influence them. You'll play and there's a connection, but other times, it'll go completely opposite. This alone (in addition to those who reload the season before harvest and get different results) seems to indicate a complete randomness.
    Naomasa Ii
    Vices & Virtues:
    Verbal Diarrhea: This general can't ever say or write anything in less than three paragraphs. Can't even yell 'Charge' without a soliloquy. -3 to command.

I think Toranaga_Sama might have a point. Now, this might be just a coincidence, but it does seem that usually when I need a good harvest the most (during periods of heavy fighting) I get bad harvests. However, when I control almost all of Japan with my 30,000 men armies and I'm winning very easily, I generally have good harvests. Now, I'm sure that their are exceptions to this but it does seem to possibly be a factor.

I think its just sods law.

>>You'll play and there's a connection, but other times, it'll go completely opposite. This alone (in addition to those who reload the season before harvest and get different results) seems to indicate a complete randomness.
    Damn, its about time we get MP Campaign!!!

I would guess that the harvest is *partly* random. Save just before and then try re-loading several times. You will see variation - but not a wide one. Normally you will have some averages with a tendency towards good or bad harvests.

I am sure this factor is related to the level of loyalty, but it may be your loyalty "rank", i.e. if you have the most loyal peasants you get a better harvest, your total loyalty score or your average.