Thread: Units Preview: Illian (screens included)

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Default Units Preview: Illian (screens included)

Here are just SOME of the units...

Companions:

See pic at top

In the history of Illian, no group of soldiers has distinguished themselves as much as the Companions. These men have a storied history of gruelling training followed by herioc battlefield exploits, and as such are famed in legend for their resolute bravery and almost god-like battlefield prowess. This elite cavalry unit forms the solid core around which the Illianer army is based. Although these heavily armed and hard-hitting soldiers are primarily the King’s bodyguard, in times of war and peace, they are also mobile, disciplined and highly effective troops. In any conflict, the Companions can always be found where the fighting is thickest, ready to give their lives for their King, whom it is their sworn duty to protect. They are not only superb soldiers, they are also expert bodyguards, protecting their King from assassination in its many guises.

It is a matter of national pride to see that these men are equipped with the best weapons and armour that money can buy, and their steel breastplates, helmets, gauntlets and greaves are visibly the finest in the land, bought directly from the King’s vast treasury. They are armed with a heavy thrusting spear, a cavalry sabre, a large shield and extreme patriotism. On foot they fight as heavy infantry, carving a gory path through enemy formations and grinding firm pike lines into bloody messes. Their prowess and discipline means that on foot as well as on horseback they are a match for almost any unit in the known world.
    Royal Armsmen:

When a monarch comes to power, he or she will want to ensure military superiority over any contenders to the throne, namely other major houses. With this in mind, monarchs usually create their own private armies drawn from the ranks of their House Armsmen. These men receive the best equipment, training and, crucially, wages.

The fact that they are drawn from trusted House Armsmen combined with their excellent pay ensures their loyalty and a monarch will be certain to keep them close at hand in the eventuality of unrest or civil war.

Illian has a strong martial tradition, and is widely recognized as one of the most powerful militaries in the Westlands. Its citizens and soldiers know this and take pride in their heritage, and will always try their best to live up to it on the battlefield.
    Armoured Pikemen:

Armoured pikemen are a step up from regular pikemen. They are often a fully professional unit which forms part of the standing army. Their good training and regular drill allows them to stand firm against most enemies, and their heavy armour allows them to withstand arrow fire and gives them durability in prolonged fighting.

Although many nobles still shun them on the basis that they fight on foot, a wise commander knows the value of their solid discipline and good defensive abilities. They are often used to provide anchorage on the flanks to protect a battle line from cavalry or are deployed in a central block to push forward attacks. These soldiers play less of a support role than regular pikemen and are quite capable of forming the disciplined core of an army.

In Illian however, the eternal quarrels with Tear have stimulated the development of the pike to counter the strength and power of Tairen cavalry. Illianer pikemen tend to be well-schooled in dealing with mounted enemies and have learnt not to rout or scatter in the face of a cavalry charge. Illian also has a strong martial tradition, and is widely recognized as one of the most powerful militaries in the Westlands. Its citizens and soldiers know this and take pride in their heritage, and will always try their best to live up to it on the battlefield.
    Sailors:

Illian is a maritime nation and has not only a standing army but also a well-manned and funded navy, equal to that of Tear and second only to the Sea Folk. Illianer Sailors, in times of need, can be pressed into service on land, and nobles are usually keen to include them in their armies. They are well-disciplined and trained, and their light composite bows are accurate and capable of piercing most armour, although they lack the range of crossbows.

Their light equipment and loose formation makes them good skirmishers, and although they are unarmoured, their shortswords and cutlasses, combined with their extensive training, makes them more than a match for levied peasants in hand-to-hand fighting.
    Levy:

In times of war nobles and monarchs will raise levies as needed. These troops are not a standing army as such, but are a step above the hastily formed militias and local watches. These troops normally show up with a spear, bill or equivalent farm implement, and the occasional axe. Few, if any, can afford any kind of armour; the majority make do with a padded or leather jerkin. They carry long knives as a secondary weapon, although these are more likely to be used for cutting bread and cheese than anything else.

They are not uniformly equipped or armoured, rarely even with weapons of the same length and balance. Levy are really just organised peasants, lacking proper training and discipline. They will hold against light cavalry, militia or true peasantry, but will stand no chance against a determined assault by armsmen or heavy cavalry.

Illian has a strong martial tradition, and is widely recognized as one of the most powerful militaries in the Westlands. Its citizens and soldiers know this and take pride in their heritage and will always try their best to live up to it on the battlefield.

Default Re: Units Preview: Illian (screens included)

Please excuse the lack of transparency on the Royal Armsmen pic.

Also note that the lighting isn't great on these pics and some patches seem black. This isn't the case in - game.

The units don't look their best in these pics, but the vote seems to show that you'd rather I got on with the other nations than sort them out, and I couldn't agree more

United on Earth Member al'Callaendor's Avatar

Default Re : Units Preview: Illian (screens included)

very good.
    The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth,
    and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of
    Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet
    fall under the Shadow

Twice and twice shall he be marked,
    Twice to live, and twice to die.
    Once the heron, to set his path.
    Twice the heron, to name him true.
    Once the dragon, for remembrance lost.
    Twice the dragon, for the price he must pay.

nice! Thanks.

cdaulepp

very sexie indeed

sexie???
    The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth,
    and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of
    Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet
    fall under the Shadow

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Why no cavalry? The Companions aren't worth much if they aren't mounted, nor is any soldier, really.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Because this is the 3DMAX modles, and mount and soldier are modelled differently. We will have horses too, trust me. (else I quit, that's one thing that is sure;))
    Supporter and retired teammember of the Wheel of Time mod.

I have 3ds max 7, but i have difficulties to model...
    fall under the Shadow

Default Re: Re : Units Preview: Illian (screens included)

Read some guides, learn it and maybe you could become a team member:)
    Last edited by Andreas; 10-10-2005 at 18:39.
    Supporter and retired teammember of the Wheel of Time mod.

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas
    Because this is the 3DMAX modles, and mount and soldier are modelled differently. We will have horses too, trust me. (else I quit, that's one thing that is sure;))
    Right, I know that. But were the Companions max rendered as well? I assume so... and I though it was possible to render a guy on a horse in max, even though they have seperate models. But as long as you have horses, it's all good.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

it is possible, I just couldn't be bothered

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Ouch. Completely missed the update; a delayed congratulations on the good work, then!
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

very nice models!!! I have just started to learn how to model and my first unit is soon finished. But when I see those picture I realize how much more work I had to do before i can model properly...

WoT fanatic Member 4th Dimension's Avatar

They are good.

Are these models included in the Alpha version Elqen posted.Anyone with the data on this mod, please upload it.Filefront would be the best, so I can continue the work on this mod.Also if anyone is interested, PM me, or post