Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for Barbarian Invasion expansion pack

Spindly Killer Fish Member ShellShock's Avatar

Default Re: BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for Barbarian Invasion expansion pack

I would just like to add my thanks for updating your patch for 1.5 & 1.6.
    He does sit in gold, his eye red as 'twould burn Rome.

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

Default Re: BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for Barbarian Invasion expansion pack

Sorry for doing yet another small update.

New in version 3.02:
    -Fixed trigger for BadTaxman line of traits, so it won't be awarded in situations when tax policy is best as it could be (BI campaign fix, no any extra changes for Imperial Campaign, which has this already fixed)
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

Quote Originally Posted by player1
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for Barbarian Invasion expansion pack
    Version 3.02
    Compiled by player1

Requires:
    Barbarian Invasion expansion pack for Rome: Total War (v1.6)
    or v1.5 patch for Rome: Total War

Introduction:

This is compilation of fixes to various bugs that can be found in Barbarian Invasion expansion for Rome: Total War. Many of the fixes were not originally my ideas, but ideas of other members from gaming community that I compiled in one unofficial patch. Since unofficial, it is in no way associated with Creative Assembly, Activision or SEGA.

Note that this patch also addresses issues for original Imperial Campaign, so it can be used without Barbarian expansion too.

Download link:
    http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/lm/B...FIXERv3.02.zip

Installation:

The content of the zip file should be extracted to your Rome - Total War folder. That way it will replace some of the original text files with those from the archive.

Files replaced are:
    -descr_model_battle.txt (from both data and bi\data subfolders)
    -export_descr_ancillaries.txt (from both data and bi\data subfolder)
    -export_descr_character_traits.txt (from both data and bi\data subfolder)
    -export_descr_buildings.txt (from data subfolder)
    -expanded_bi.txt (from bi\data subfolder)
    -export_buildings.txt (from bi\data subfolder)
    -export_VnVs.txt (from data subfolder)

Files added are:
    -advisor battlemap.tga (in bi\data\ui\carthaginian folder)

Also, a new subfolder named Original Data will be created, with copies of original files. If you want to restore original files just copy contents of that folder to your Rome - Total War folder. This is important for multiplayer, since it requires original files (to prevent hacking).

List of fixes for Barbarian Invasion Campaign

Changes in descr_model_battle.txt file:

-Made a workaround for texture corruption Paladin Bodyguard units have on there left side of chest
    -Fixed Mercenary Bucellarii unit model, so it will fire crossbow properly
    -Fixed a problem with Scholae Palatinae and Armored Camel Mercenary units, when lower detail model would be used in place for higher level model
    -Fixed model for Chosen Archers, so they don't look like demons from hell anymore
    -Fixed model for barbarian female civilians, so that looking cities in battle view won't show just male population for barbarian factions

Berber stuff:

-Added description for 3rd level barracks for Berber faction (export_buildings.txt)
    -Changed Berber cultural designation from Carthaginian to Berber, so formerly Berber controlled cities won't report Carthaginian culture (expanded_bi.txt)
    -Fixed battle advisor icon for Berber faction, so it has correct eastern advisor and not roman one (added working battlemap.tga)

Changes in export_descr_ancillaries.txt file:

-Fixed bonuses for Bodyguard, Charioteer and Elder Senator retinue members, so they'll actually give bonus/penalty to Influence and not only affect public order
    -Fixed trigger for Drinking Companion retinue member, so it can be gained at both Tavern and Bardic Circle, like all other drinking related ancillaries and not just in Tavern

Changes in export_descr_character_traits.txt file:

-Added anti-traits to some traits to prevent weird or impossible combinations
    -Several anti-traits that worked in one direction fixed to work in both directions
    -Added the workaround for a bug, when gaining an anti-trait would reset trait value to 0 (instead of reducing it for value of anti-trait)
    -Increased point awards in birth and adoption triggers for traits that need more then one point to get first level of the trait, so it's actually possible to gain those traits at character generation (expect more vices and virtues from new family members)
    -Fixed bonuses for Sobriety like of traits so they'll actually give penalty to Influence as intended and not only affect public order
    -Fixed trigger for BadTaxman line of traits, so it won't be awarded in situations when tax policy is best as it could be
    -Made impossible for roman leaders to gain points in Disloyal line of traits, since they can't rebel anyway
    -Removed roman culture requirement from trigger for refusing bribes, so that non-Romans can benefit from resisting bribes (by gaining levels in Upright line of traits that increase bribe resistance)
    -Introduced two new birth triggers, to make it possible that Intelligent and Genius characters could be born
    -Fixed the problem, when Intelligent characters could lose their Intelligence
    -Fixed Good/BadConspirator line of traits so they can be gained by assassins
    -Corrected sabotage triggers, so that they make more sense

List of fixes for Imperial Campaign

Changes in export_descr_buildings.txt file:

-Fixed a bug when Awesome Temple of Epona and Pantheon would show up in building browser for Gauls and Spanish
    -Added law bonus to academy-type buildings like it's done in Barbarian Invasion expansion and was intended in patch

Changes in descr_model_battle.txt file only:

-Fixed the wrong color of Spanish generals by giving them proper texture (should be brown, instead of blue)

Changes in export_descr_ancillaries.txt file:

-Fixed the issue with Numidian and Spanish governors not gaining priests as their retinue members
    -Fixed the trigger for priest of Neptune, so it won't be awarded to governors or agents
    -Fixed triggers for gaining Heroic Saviour and Shieldbearer retinue members

Changes in both export_descr_character_traits.txt and export_VnVs.txt files:

-Parts of Energetic line of traits tweaked, so they won't get worse at higher levels
    -To prevent drop in morale bonus when becoming Legendary Hero, this trait gets its morale bonus increased from +2 to +4 (to same level as National Hero) and also gets a +1 bonus to Command when attacking (like in BI)

Changes in export_descr_character_traits.txt file only:

-Added anti-traits to some traits to prevent weird or impossible combinations
    -Several anti-traits that worked in one direction fixed to work in both directions
    -Added the workaround for a bug, when gaining an anti-trait would reset trait value to 0 (instead of reducing it for value of anti-trait)
    -Increased point awards in birth and adoption triggers for traits that need more then one point to get first level of the trait, so it's actually possible to gain those traits at character generation (expect more vices and virtues from new family members)
    -Changed crushing victory condition in triggers for GoodRiskyAttacker/Defender line of traits to clear or better, since winning such battles with just clear victory is great accomplishment on its own
    -Smoothtalker changed to be diplomat trait, since its effects deal with bribing
    -Fixed trigger for BadTaxman line of traits, so it won't be awarded in situations when tax policy is best as it could be
    -Fixed problems with Senate Office triggers, which could result in losing some senate titles
    -Implemented new triggers for Warlord, Siege and Ambusher traits from BI expansion, in order to make it possible to improve these traits in imperial campaign
    -Introduced two new birth triggers, to make it possible that Intelligent and Genius characters could be born
    -Fixed the (newly introduced) problem, when Intelligent characters could lose their Intelligence
    Would this patch in anyway harm MP? Would a person with it be able to play someone without it?
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

I'm not sure.

I haven't moded units data files, so they should be same for someone with or without mod.

But, I have no tested anything, so feedback would be welcome.

Also, I added Original Data folder together with bug-fixer, so you can easily replace bug-fixer files with originals if needed.

Ok thanks. I'll try it and give you feedback about the MP issue.

EDIT: I've just had a MP game, all went fine. One bad thing though, I had no chat in the lobby, so is that caused by the Bug Fixer or the chat is banned again?
    Last edited by x-dANGEr; 12-27-2005 at 17:55.
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

There is now an official fix for the horse_temple feature:

http://www.totalwar.com/community/download.htm

Pitty they haven't fixed academy law bonus at the same time.

Player1,

Here are some bugs you didn't pick up on --

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger dads_SmoothTalker
    WhenToTest CharacterComesOfAge

Condition FatherTrait SmoothTalker >= 1

Affects SmoothTalker 1 Chance 20
    ;------------------------------------------

smoothtalker is for diplomats only

Not an in-game bug.
    Since there will never be fathers with such trait.

And if there was by some miracle such father, then son will still never gain it since non-diplomats can't gain diplomatic traits.

So at current state its just oddity in trigger listings.

Not an in-game bug.
    Since there will never be fathers with such trait.

And if there was by some miracle such father, then son will still never gain it since non-diplomats can't gain diplomatic traits.

So at current state its just oddity in trigger listings.
    So a bug is only what you addressed in the bug fixer, otherwise it is an oddity. I thought you were looking for feedback. My mistake.

I respect all feedback, don't be insulted.

It's not a bug, since it does not affect game in any way.
    I could've deleted those lines and it would make no single difference in the game (exempt in bug-fixer version number).

Just want to tks Player one for His work.
    I started playing Yesterday Bi and Im having a blast as Goth.
    And by the list of fixes it includes I know that Im pretty safe that with it instaled I can keep the campaign till the end safely:)

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Question: Does the lack of +1 Command bonus from Mercenary Captains in BI count as a bug, given they're still described as a "wirely adviser on tactics"?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Well in BI most things that give command stars are nerfed so I guess it counts as feature.
    Also Merc Captain still makes new troops cheaper to recruit.

umm does this utilize the mod switch or any chance on it doing so

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

No, it's a patch, it fixes the bugs CA hasn't gotten around to yet.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Player1 did you ever look at the bug of soldiers sometimes falling off siege towers en-masse as they tried to get onto the largest stone walls? It commonly happened at Syracuse in vanilla RTW.

I am not sure if CA ever fixed it, but I picked up a fix for it (basically it makes the engines just a smidgen bigger or something) from the RTR forums which I could pass on to you if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Rilder
    umm does this utilize the mod switch or any chance on it doing so
    Mod switch function does work well for mini-BI mods since then you need to copy entire BI folder and then make changes to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    Player1 did you ever look at the bug of soldiers sometimes falling off siege towers en-masse as they tried to get onto the largest stone walls? It commonly happened at Syracuse in vanilla RTW.

I am not sure if CA ever fixed it, but I picked up a fix for it (basically it makes the engines just a smidgen bigger or something) from the RTR forums which I could pass on to you if you are interested.
    Intersting I never encoutered it, although I must I play RTW rare these days.
    How big is the file anyway.

Also, does anybody now is it possible to fix problem with large stone walls when solider get sometimes stuck at the entrance of seige tower. That one I did experience.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

It's a modified descr_engines.txt file, 26KB. I downloaded it from the RTR forums on 23/08/1995 but unfortunately did not keep a record of who created it or the link.

Eye-balling the modified file and my 1.6 one, the only change I can see is that the modified file for medium siege towers has:

engine_dock_dist 12.2

whereas the 1.6 version of the file has 12.5.

It looks like getting your engine 0.3 closer to the walls is enough to stop your men plunging off the walls of Syracuse!

Senior Member Senior Member Jambo's Avatar

Intersting I never encoutered it, although I must I play RTW rare these days.

Also, does anybody now is it possible to fix problem with large stone walls when solider get sometimes stuck at the entrance of seige tower. That one I did experience.
    Mod out large stone walls is the only complete solution.

You can repeatedly click on the top of the walls and the troops will go up piecemeal, but a) the AI doesn't do this and b) it's simpler to mod out the large stone walls.
    =MizuDoc Otomo=

Maybe I'll do an addon for bugfixer (as seperate download), with large walls disabled from build queue and start of campaign cities.

We'll see...

Question Re: BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for Barbarian Invasion expansion pack

Player1,
    I am installing your v1.64 bugfixer for RTW v1.2. I have a question for you about the UI/folder files and Sprite/folder files. My Data directory for TWR does note show these folders. Question do I add the folders to the Data folder?

My RTW Data folder list the following subfolders for v1.2:

#logs, animations, banners, battlefield, descr_building_battle, editor,

fmv, loading_screen, menu, models, models_building, models_effects,

models_engine, models_landscape, models_missile, models_off_map,

models_strat, models_strat, models_strat, overview_map, packs, scripts,

settlement_plans, sky, sounds, terrain, text,textures, tgas,

vegetation, world
    WarHawk1953

Yes you should make new folders.

Player1,
    I thank you for your response. The folders have been added.
    WarHawk1953

Version 3.03 is released.
    Only change is that fix for 237BC bug for imperial campaign is added. If you haven't experienced this bug, no update is necessary (but it won't hurt neither).

I have a "slight" problem while using your bug fixer: No trait triggers fire.

Characters start with the correct traits and I can manually alter traits with give_trait, but nobody gains new traits and characters created during play (coming of age, agent creation, etc) don't get any traits either. I've noticed that I encounter the same problem if I add even one trait (though I haven't tested triggers) to the default traits file. It's as though a hard-coded limit is exceeded and the game doesn't read the VnV triggers (or something).

Ancillaries work just fine. I can even add ancillary definitions/triggers to the file with no problems.

Does it happen with imperial or barbarian invasion campaign.

Are you using latest version of bug-fixer?
    Any other mods?

Try adding -show_err as command line option for game start shortcut, start game play, exit and see if there are any errors.

My experience is that if there are bugs in trait files that only part before bug will be processed and rest discarded.

I have not tried the Imperial campaign. It happens in BI (1.06) for certain.

Also, it happened with version 3.02 of bug-fixer. I haven't yet installed 3.03, but I suspect it does the same thing, judging from this:

Version 3.03 is released.
    Only change is that fix for 237BC bug for imperial campaign is added. If you haven't experienced this bug, no update is necessary (but it won't hurt neither).
    Furthermore, it seems to happen whether other mods are installed or not.

I'll check with 3.03 and see if the problem persists. If it does, I'll try -show_err. I'll let you know whether it works or not (quick and easy test: start campaign and build a bunch of spies -- if any have traits, it's fixed).

[edit]
    How odd. It seems to work fine now. I figured there was a problem with the bug-fixer. Guess it was just my copy somehow.
    Last edited by Yukon Cornelius; 02-13-2006 at 00:36.

Member Member Ivar the Terrible's Avatar

No more Glorious Fools?

Dear Player1,

Thank you for Bug Fixer and all the work you have done on it.

Playing Brutii in RTW 1.5 one of my family members came of age with the Unlucky Leader trait. Looking at the traits file I noticed that only level 1 of the Glorious Fool trait line is accessible. In BF 1.64 this line was fully accessible through Trigger selfperpetuating50 as part of your fix.

Is dropping this line an oversight or intentional?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast