Thread: .conan. option (ronin)

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

I like trying this version. Problem is they always, from the first harvest, operate in the negative koku. I think this is because I have to, first, take a clan and THEN type in '.conan.' to get to play the Ronin.

I've seen that my first harvest often exceeds my costs yet somehow it still goes negative koku. Thus I can never create new units, or infrastructure.

Anyone know another way?

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

That's rather odd... I don't recall this happening when I tried .conan. Perhaps that's because I used a saved game to do the transition...
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

Whoa, hold up. We can play as Ronin? Am I reading this right? Somebody tell me how, please!

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

Well, if your Throne Room has the Geisha with the sword (see my nifty little pic on a different thread) then the option is also there to play Ronin! I'd whip up a nice screenshot, but I'm currently under investigation by the foces of Good here at the .Org for blatantly lying to newbies and inciting riots.
    Anyway, yes, you can play Ronin. But why would you want to?

[This message has been edited by solypsist (edited 02-11-2001).]

Heims, Type ".conan.", ok?

------------------

Soly...You have to have groundrules. I can't attack anyone who hasn't attacked me first.

Since, so far, I have never been able to purchase new troops it always devolves into a battle with diminishing numbers on my side. I just lost Tosa, for instance, but my Taisho there survived 13 battles, defeating both Mori and Shimazu armies in one battle, and killing Mori before finally succumbing.

Since I also killed both Oda and his heir in successive battles I now hold all the Oda lands, Mikawa, Hida, Kaga, and Echigo, and Tajima. My only reinforcements have been from
    a few peasant rebellions. It's a definite challenge to play as Ronin.

------------------

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

Yeah it can be a challenge! I ususally turtle the first few turns and go for infrastructure (farm/port upgrades etc...) to get some koku. Remember to go MAX taxes and change religions often, any revolt only helps your cause Hold onto your production provinces at all costs! It'll take forever to remake a dojo

Did you guys notice you get the Legendary Swordsman event immediately Didyou also notice that diplomacy options are futile...your emissary NEVER creates an alliance
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

so how the hell do you get the Throne Room with the Sword Geisha then??
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

HAHA,you got another one soly,you sly dog.
    Tito
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

One of the major benefits of playing Ronin is that you can leave your taxes at the maximum level without inciting any riots... even in conquered lands, as far as I know! It kind of makes sense, from a programming point of view. I mean... are the Rebels supposed to revolt against THEMSELVES?
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

Its not that hard to play with the Ronins. You get monks right away. Use the Ronins monks to take Owari and as many of Odas provinces. Use the other monks in those three ronin proivnces to take the east. That should give you the Kokus you nee.

BTW, I have had Ronins versus ronin armies, Oda attacked Yamishiro and took it and my army retreated to the castle. But I killed off Oda the next turn and his army went ronin. Everyturn I get these messages that my forces are seiging the castle and they wont last long. After that I get a message that my castle is under seige and my men wont last long
    We live in a world of Disclaimers

Honor to Clan Doragon
    www.doragon.cjb.net

Doragon.. Don't forget my one rule as the Ronin....You can't attack anyone until they've first attacked you! When Oda finally comes, he's got a lot of manpower.

------------------