Thread: GMAX Cancelled!

CA GMAX Cancelled!

News release from Autodesk:
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

"As of October 6, 2005, Autodesk will no longer offer Gmax® software as a stand-alone product."

Whilst RTW modellers always needed the full 3DSmax, Gmax was the simpler free version that allowed you to gain valuable experience before downloading the 30 day free 3DSmax trial.

Models in GMax could also be converted for use in 3DSmax - so, so long as a modder had a friend or team-mate with 3DSmax willing to convert them into RTW files, progress was still possible.

However Gmax is still available but only until 1 November 2005 (that's tomorrow), from the Gmax support site Turbo Squid.

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

You have to register with the forums in order to access the downloads, but that happens instantly and then you can download Gmax and the Tempest Game Pack used in this tutorial for converting files from Gmax to 3DSmax (link originally posted by alpaca).

This was what comment from a Turbo Squid staffer:

Dear Gmax users,

I am here today to inform you that Autodesk has officially decided to end its support for the Gmax product and that their company has stopped support for it effective October 6th.

Since Turbo Squid is a valuable partner for Autodesk and we've been managing the product and community on their behalf for the past year, they've allowed us to continue to offer the Gmax download until November 1st so that we can effectively manage the transition for this now defunct product. At that point, the ability to download Gmax from our site will be removed as will the ability for users to get authorization codes for the product.

These forums will continue to operate for the community for a small period of time beyond that date, and we'll be happy to try and assist the community during that time.

Respectfully,

-=Beau

Beau Perschall
    VP of Publishing
    Turbo Squid, Inc.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 10-31-2005 at 15:10.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

The Lion Prince Member Sundjata Keita's Avatar

Default Re: GMAX Cancelled!

There are also a few other un-updated sites which have g-max if I find some links I'll post them here.

GMax is great, we must save it! I'll try to burn it as soon as I get home. Thanks ER!

At a new top-secret (non-CA) location, surrounded by lots of steel and glass, high atriums, hordes of lovely marketing ladies, and with a new and spacious desk with plenty of room for body-moving.

It's a shame... we were seriously considering adding support for GMax to future products. And look what they do - they go and cancel it!
    "All our words are but crumbs that fall down from the feast of the mind."
    -- from 'The Prophet' by Kahlil Gibran

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Ah damn...Exactly when we CA is making support for Gmax, they are cancelling it....
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Guys do you know what it means that there will no longer be ability to get authorization codes? I have downloaded the actual software just now, so I'm safe in that regard, but I will be totally bummed out if I can't install it after today, because it requires some online registration that the company will no longer provide or whatever.

I've downloaded it but not managed to install it - I was under the impression, which may be mistaken, that the authorisation codes were required to download the expansion packs that would allow you to export to specific supported game formats.

If that is not the case, and I can't install it, then I too will be totally bummed out.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 11-02-2005 at 10:54.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Simulation Monkey Member The_Mark's Avatar

They're still handing out those codes, I just registered. Just follow the link in the Gmax startup screen.