Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bush honors a worthless American...

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Default Bush honors a worthless American...

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/1....f7izopnr.html
    Unbelievable he put that medal around that piece of poop draft dodgers neck. Shameful...
    Last edited by Devastatin Dave; 11-09-2005 at 22:36.
    RIP Tosa

Mad Professor Senior Member Hurin_Rules's Avatar

Default Re: Bush honors a worthless American...

Bush got a medal for dodging the draft?

Oh, you mean Muhammad Ali, who, being poor and black, couldn't avoid the draft in the same way Bush did--by having daddy appoint him to the air national guard.

If you could just clarify: are draft dodgers only 'pieces of s**t' if they're poor and black, or can the rich and white be included?

If so, then that picture shows us two of a kind.
    Last edited by Hurin_Rules; 11-09-2005 at 22:20.
    "I love this fellow God. He's so deliciously evil." --Stuart Griffin

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you could just clarify: are draft dodgers only 'pieces of s**t' if they're poor and black, or can the rich and white be included?
    I didn't know you considered Clinton a POS.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin_Rules

Oh, you mean Muhammad Ali, who, being poor and black, couldn't avoid the draft in the same way Bush did--by having daddy appoint him to the air national guard.

Bush actually served. Cassius Clay never served. Get your facts straight before posting ignorant responses. Poor and black, LOL, old Cassius wasn't exactly poor when he got his orders. Duhhhh.
    RIP Tosa

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

What's the difference between Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Jane Fonda?

Jane actually went to Vietnam
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Unlike Dave, I have no beef with Ali (Clay). He didn't dodge the draft, he out-and-out refused and took a big financial hit in consequence and very nearly did time in jail as well. While I disagree with his choice, he had the courage of his convictions and took his lumps. Also, Ali was black but was not -- until he made his decision -- poor. His career was quite successful at that time (though he was not brought up in an affluent family).

I also disagree with you about Bush's service in the guard. Yes, when he joined he was aware that guard units rarely deployed. Yes, he was selected for the guard from a fairly large pool of applicants and some measure of favoritism (asked for or not) cannot be ruled out. However, he put on the uniform and if his unit got deployed he would have gone -- and there were lots of folks who took that same risk during the Vietnam war. Doesn't win bonus points from me, but nor do I assume it to be poor service.

You are also being unfair to DevDave here. Any -- even cursory -- reading of his posts would clearly demonstrate that DD would loathe anybody who he viewed to be a draft dodger -- nothing in his track record would let you credibly suggest that his brand of super-patriotism is influenced by race or ethnicity. You have backhandedly implied that he is a racist, which is unwarranted and should be a Bozo no-no.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave
    Bush actually served. Cassius Clay never served. Get your facts straight before posting ignorant responses.
    Bush actually served in Vietnam? Wow, that's news to me.

Get your facts straight indeed.

No, I wasn't accusing Dave of being a racist. But now that I think of it, anyone who labels 'worthless' a man who is so respected and has done so much for the black community in America clearly is, if not racist, then very, very ignorant.

BTW, Ali did grow up poor, so please don't further accuse me of ignorance:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:B...r+family&hl=en
    Last edited by Hurin_Rules; 11-09-2005 at 22:51.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bush actually served in Vietnam? Wow, that's news to me.

Get your facts straight indeed.
    Ever heard of a little something called the Air Force national Guard?

And did DD say 'In vietnam', or did you add that there to add a wee, flaky little bit of credence to your argument?

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    And did DD say 'In vietnam', or did you add that there to add a wee, flaky little bit of credence to your argument?
    I didn't 'add' it at all. We're talking about the draft for the Vietnam war. If you want to parse to rescue the honour of a man who used his family connections to get out of having to fight, to accuse a man who actually stood up for his convictions, and to defend a president who critiqued a true veteran (John Kerry) to score cheap political points, then fine; but please get off your high horse when you do so.
    Last edited by Hurin_Rules; 11-09-2005 at 22:56.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

BTW, Ali did grow up poor, so please don't further accuse me of ignorance:
    I was aware that Ali was not brought up in affluent surroundings, and certainly never summered at Kennebunkport. My point was that he had achieved quite a deal of economic success as a fighter prior to his decision not to serve. He was giving up a lot and knew it, and knew quite well that his chance of serving in combat was almost nil -- Joe Louis' army service was noted to him -- but still refused to serve.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

when I read, "Bush honors a worthless American... " and then saw the word "medal," I thought this was an old link revived.

Last edited by solypsist; 11-09-2005 at 23:52.

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ichi

Good one.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: Bush honors a worthless American...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    Ever heard of a little something called the Air Force national Guard?
    ever heard of something called "cushy little assignment his rich daddy got him so he could get out of going to nam"?
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

Just becuase he dodged the draft he is worthless?

Who knows what could have happened if he went there, he could have died and then you'd have one less american legend.
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

And all this time I thought individuality, the dissenting opinion, and standing up for one's beliefs especially when those beliefs are unpopular, were the hallmarks of being a true American.

Who would have known it was really toeing the line, remaining silent, and subverting one's self to authority.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Prematurely Anti-Fascist Senior Member Aurelian's Avatar

Unbelievable he put that medal around that piece of poop draft dodgers neck. Shameful...
    Well, it's not like Muhammed Ali was some little beeotch who ran away because he was too scared to fight. After all, his job was getting punched in the head repeatedly by people like George Foreman.

His not going to Vietnam was on principle, and he paid for it with what probably would have been the best years of his career. If, despite his opposition to the war, he'd entered the military and let them use him as a poster-boy in Life magazine, than that would have been shameful.

Hell, even President Johnson was telling people privately that the war wasn't winnable, so what was really the point of anybody going over there? If the answer to that is "when your country tells you to go, you go"... well, you either go or you are prepared to accept the consequences of your actions, which he was.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Ali is no draft dodger. He is a man of principles. I hated to see him become a Muslim but at least he stood up for what he believed right or wrong. I consider him a great american if a bit misquided. Ali is a MAN.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Ali is no draft dodger. He is a man of principles. I hated to see him become a Muslim but at least he stood up for what he believed right or wrong. I consider him a great american if a bit misquided. Ali is a MAN.
    Seconded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Sure, give him a medal. I have no problems with draft-dodgers, whether or not you consider Ali one.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Ali was a Conscientious Objector not a draft dodger. One follows his principles the other looks after his skin.

In 1971, nearly five years after it began, Ali's legal battle finally culminated with a unanimous decision by the United States Supreme Court overturning his draft conviction.

So the Supreme Court also did not consider him a draft dodger.
    Last edited by Papewaio; 11-10-2005 at 03:01.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

War is pointless. Honour for war is a joke that we all like to pretend is serious occasion to be savoured.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    War is pointless. Honour for war is a joke that we all like to pretend is serious occasion to be savoured.
    Wow somebody needs a reality check. What about World War2 or the first Iraq war or the American civil war. I would take any man who fought in those wars of a self pitying self loathing pessimistic jack ass like yourself any day off the week
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strike for the south
    Wow somebody needs a reality check. What about World War2 or the first Iraq war or the American civil war. I would take any man who fought in those wars of a self pitying self loathing pessimistic jack ass like yourself any day off the week
    As I said, we ALL like to PRETEND to find honour in war.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Like I said somebody needs to get a reality check. Its an honor to serve and protect people who cant protect themselves
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Ali still doesn't have the honor to lick the sweat of my... nevermind, one PM from the mods tonight is enough!!!
    RIP Tosa

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ichi

'Cept she aided the Viet Cong...traitor.

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Lets not dig that old chesnut up again. It was a joke. Remember those? Sometimes, though not often, we see them here.

Kudos to Ali.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave
    Ali still doesn't have the honor to lick the sweat of my... nevermind, one PM from the mods tonight is enough!!!
    Honour is related to integrity. Saying one thing and doing another is unhonourable. Ali acted with integrity, he was consistent. He stood up and stated what he believed in and acted in the same manner.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Yeah, I fail to see how Ali is worthless because he had moral objections to fighting in the Vietnam war...

Childish.

As I noted above, I am not the detractor of Ali that DevDave is. However, when does appropriate dissent cross the line and become inappropriate?

Many who disagreed with the War did serve, some even serving unarmed in combat as medics.

To disagree, to dissent, to lobby for change are all acceptable elements of the democratic process. Ali's refusal to serve, however, broke the law -- a law promulgated by the duly elected government representatives of that same republic. If the individual has no right to petition the government for change, then the spectre of tyranny has arisen -- yet if the individual is free to ignore the duly promulgated constraints/responsibilities expected of a member of that society, then we have the spectre of anarchy and chaos. While I may not believe Ali to be dishorourable, I do believe he was wrong.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast