Thread: Korean Guardsmen

Naughty Little Hippy Senior Member Tachikaze's Avatar

The Mongol/Korea ranks are filling out.

------------------
    A murky puddle becomes clear when it is still.

Screw luxury; resist convenience.

Yeah. Frankly, this one came out of the blue. So much for the whole "six unit" thing. Maybe they meant "six types of unit". I don't remember what the press release said.

Anyway, it's great that there's going to be such variety on the Mongol/Korean side. So much for the fears of having a new side to the battle with only four units to deploy.

[This message has been edited by BakaGaijin (edited 02-06-2001).]
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

Southpaw Samurai Member Ii Naomasa's Avatar

Ah! So that's who the guys in black with the really big glaives in the videos were! Figured they were mainland forces (heavier glaives just weren't as popular in Japan...the naginata, for example, is really not much more than a sword blade is general features). Out of curiosity, can anyone identify his weapon? I'm not too familiar with mainland weapons of war (as opposed to those used in some of the weapon martial arts), and especially don't know the names (of either a Chinese dialect or here, where it's probably the Korean name). I've heard the term zanbato used in reference to a Korean glaive, but the source was less than 100% academic in nature and it may very well be the Japanese name (in addition, it wasn't as wide a blade either...hmmmm).

[This message has been edited by Ii Naomasa (edited 02-06-2001).]
    Naomasa Ii
    Vices & Virtues:
    Verbal Diarrhea: This general can't ever say or write anything in less than three paragraphs. Can't even yell 'Charge' without a soliloquy. -3 to command.

There seems to be a disconnect between the programming team and the marketing team. Probably to be expected with three companies involved. I'm glad to see the additional Korean unit. Maybe there's more where they came from.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Actually, there are at least four companies involved: the press releases are distributed by Panache PR Ltd. (?), which is yet another separate entity. So no wonder we're confused.

And my constant whining about the Glaive Guy being a Japanese unit (since it appeared in Japanese armies in the screenshots) stops right here. Period. These Guards guys could be very useful - not only because I use Guards units whenever possible in any game , but because they provide good but still mobile defensive capability. For MP purposes, they'll be an excellent alternative to Naginata for rounding out high-mobility armies. Ah lahkes Gaurds.

We were originally promised six units. We now have them, but we know of at least two others: the Mongol Heavy Cavalry and the Mongol Light Infantry (or is this supposed to be Light Cavalry?) that were mentioned in the interview. So, was the original estimate conservative? Or, as BakaGaijin-san speculated, did they mean "six types of unit"? In that case, the "Korean mercenaries" of the press release and the generic "Mongol cavalry" both probably count as one type of unit... Which means we may still get who knows how many Koreans and Mongols, *and* two more units (or types)!

Who knows what they'll be? Maybe some Chinese troops, given that they were also present in the historical invasion force. Maybe the TBs count as a separate unit type, if they're Chinese and not Koreans. Interesting times...

------------------
    "Learning is to a man as the leaves and branches are to a tree, and it can be said that he should not be without it."
    - Takeda Shingen
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Or maybe they made a mistake when counting up the new units they were going to make.

Maybe they meant six new Mongol/Korean units, and the two new Japanese units were omitted from that estimate.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Perhaps, Puzz3D. That's certainly a likely scenario. I can't wait for next week so we can see the next awesome unit render.
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

Naughty Little Hippy Senior Member Tachikaze's Avatar

I have criticized the uber samurai and battlefield neenjuh, but I personally like the selection of Mongol/Korean units, as long as the bombers work out OK.

It looks like the M/K force will require careful generalship. Horse archers, grenadiers, and javelin throwers who use up their primary weapons quickly take a lot of micro-management.

------------------
    A murky puddle becomes clear when it is still.

[This message has been edited by Tachikaze (edited 02-07-2001).]

Screw luxury; resist convenience.

I like the korean Guardman. they are suppoose to be naginata like and naginata are my favorite unit so i guess I'll like them. As for the whole outlook of the new units lets just say I'm not impressed. Individually they sound like mediocre units. But I have hope that as an army they will shape up to work very well together and provide for some new startegy guides on my site. hehe

------------------
    Lanza
    Shogun Totalwar Hints and Strategies
    www.geocities.com/totalwarshogun
    Please feel free to stop by and contribute your strategies...
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are
    Lanza
    Shogun Totalwar Hints and Strategies
    www.geocities.com/totalwarshogun
    Please feel free to stop by and contribute your strategies...
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are

doesn't the korean guardsmen's weapon look like a chinese kwan do?