Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebel Commander - Play as all the Emergent Factions in BI

Default Rebel Commander - Play as all the Emergent Factions in BI

A Barbarian Invasion Mod by Epistolary Richard

Download

What does it do?
    Rebel Commander allows the player to play as any of the emergent factions which are not normally available to be played. Instead of modding the game to set-up these factions at the beginning, it allows the player to take control of these factions when they actually appear in the game - emerging after certain events or dates as in the vanilla game.

What version is this for?
    It is for the vanilla Barbarian Invasion Expansion pack. It is not compatible with prior versions of RTW.

How big is it?
    Approx. 2 meg

How does it work?
    The emergent factions are marked as 'Not Playable at Start' on the Faction Selection Screen. To play as one of these factions, you must select one of the other factions that begins the game:

Note that, as in the picture, it's best to set it to 'No Advice' this will prevent automatic advice from blocking the Rebel Commander advisor.

The Eastern Roman Rebels

Start the game as the Eastern Roman Empire and play as normal. As soon as the one of your settlements rebels, the advisor will appear. Click on the 'Show Me How' button and the game will then transfer control from your starting faction to the rebels.

The Western Roman Rebels

Start the game as the Western Roman Empire and play as normal. As soon as one of your settlements rebels, the advisor will appear. Click on the 'Show Me How' button and the game will then transfer control from your starting faction to the rebels.

The Ostrogoths

Start the game as the Goths and play as normal. As soon as one of your settlements rebels, the advisor will appear. Click on the 'Show Me How' button and the game will then transfer control from your starting faction to the Ostrogoths.

The Slavs

As you can see from the third picture above, the world you enter may be very different from when the game started.

Start as the Sassanids. In your first turn the advisor will appear, click on the advisor to bring up her speech and then click on the 'Show Me How' button. The game will then go on autopilot until the Slavs emerge. Please wait patiently until this occurs. When it does, the game will stop at the beginning of your first turn and give you control.

The Romano-British

Also to note, the faction icon does not change until you either reload or return from the battlemap

Start as the Huns. In your first turn the advisor will appear, click on the advisor to bring up her speech and then click on the 'Show Me How' button. The game will then go on autopilot until the turn after the Romano-British emerge. Please wait patiently until this occurs. When it does, the game will stop at the beginning of your first turn and give you control.

And as a special additional feature, Rebel Commander also unlocks allows you to take control of the original Rebel faction.

The Rebels

The Rebels presents a unique challenge to experienced players - but be aware, the play of the Rebel faction is not recommended by CA and may crash.

To play as the rebels, select them from the Faction Selection Screen and start the game as normal.

Sounds great, where can I get it?
    Right here: Download

Mod Compatibility
    More advanced users may wish to make Rebel Commander compatible with their own personal mods. Rebel Commander should be compatible with most lightly modded games (eg, ones with modded skins, unit stats, unit formations, additional units etc.). It does however mod the descr_strat file which any map mod will also alter.

To make Rebel Commander compatible with a map mod, install it as normal but do _not_ replace the descr_strat file. Instead go into your original descr_strat file and move the emergent factions from unplayable to playable at the top of the file. This was the only change made in this file.

If you'd like to incorporate Rebel Commander within your own mod for public release, then please feel free to do so. I only ask that you let me know that you're using it and give appropriate credit.

Thanks go to Myrddraal for inspiration and advice.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 12-07-2005 at 01:37.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

nudge nudge, wink wink Member GrimSta's Avatar

Default Re: Rebel Commander - Play as all the Emergent Factions in BI

Dude, this is sweet!!! how long did it take you to make this! download number one goes GrimSta's way!
    "I'm right and everyone else is wrong or has taken too much LSD."

Thank you Epistolary Richard! I modded your mod with Attila's reloaded 3.0 in order to use his skins...so far so good... very cool!

That is a very clever modification! I can now have a chance to play the Romano-British starting as a horde, and the chance to play as the empire rebels is very intriguing.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

nice to see you got it out

So here is a question....

with the addition of these factions within this mod, how many total playable factions does that add up to in BI?
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Member Member Mumu Champion Prodigal's Avatar

Cheers for this, I've been gagging to play Romano-British since I first saw them appear in BI.

IW Director, MA Mapper Member Ilsamir Lord's Avatar

It would appear to be sixteen (if the number of faction icons in that first screen is anything to go by), but I could be wrong .
    VISIT OUR FORUM

An Original Fantasy Concept

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

Great!!!
    Congratulations ER. This is a master piece of modding.

Would you mind if I translate it to Spanish?
    It is probable that many Spanish players would like to use it.
    I will contact you for the uploading question.

Thank you for the kind comments.

What would be really nice to round-off this mod would be if an artistically talented person was interested in producing some vanilla-standard in-game victory conditions maps for the Roman Rebels, Romano-British, Ostrogoths and Slavs.

Also, the Roman Rebels don't have a faction description. I don't know this period of history at all, so if anyone wants to take a crack at those two it would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma
    So here is a question....

with the addition of these factions within this mod, how many total playable factions does that add up to in BI?
    With modding, there are 20 playable factions in BI (the 21st is the slave faction which, while playable, uses completely different rules than the others). The screenshot only shows 16 because that is the original 10 factions, plus the 5 emergent factions plus the slave faction, the mod doesn't unlock the other 5 factions that begin the game - but it is simple enough to do so by adding the two maps, campaign description and adjusting the descr_strat.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkwarrior
    Would you mind if I translate it to Spanish?
    I wouldn't mind at all.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 11-24-2005 at 16:53.
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Great job done Richard !

Although I have already modded my ERE and WRE rebels to be playable factions, your mod seem to be much more interesting to play then my manual editing

Simulation Monkey Member The_Mark's Avatar

Brilliant, Richard!

So the control-command does work properly with BI? Goody-good.

Holy bloody elephant tusks!

I'll ask my mod group mates but man this looks amazing and it's really just what I've been looking for. Err... would you be open to mod groups incorporating this into their mods, with full documentation and accreditation it goes without saying, please? Also, is there a way to change the Slavs so they emerge from the Sarmatians instead of the Sassanids and have the Romano-British emerge from the Franks instead of the Huns? It's a bit of a mod design thing (the Sarmatians and Franks are like the main modded factions which the Slavs and R-Brits should later emerge from) and we'd really appreciate it!

This really is - unspeakably incredible!

Hoping for your kind consideration,
    Harlechman
    Zulu Total War Team
    Last edited by dclare4; 11-28-2005 at 01:41.
    "Ad majoram Dei gloriam"

Yes, swapping them between starting factions is easy. Just have a look at the triggers at the bottom of export_descr_advice - they govern which faction gets the pop-up advisor allowing you to change control.

Also, you might want to change the Romano-British so they emerge in a different way (either on rebellion or on a specific date in descr_sm_factions or descr_events) as I'm running into a CTD two turns after they capture their first settlement.

GJ, i been craving some romano-british, but ill have to wait until a bigger map/increased province map comes out before i get back into BI. Mundus magna has spoiled me. Everytime i get going against a non roman opponent, it just leads to boredom as the conquest of 2 or 3 provinces usually means defeat for a faction... kind of annoying. With mundus, you can actually enjoy a camp map for a solid month. Each faction has enough space to consolidate power and become formidable. Gotta watch out for unchecked Iberians.. Bull warriors can get nasty :)

If our mod starts in, oh, 1803 (that's AD, yes at the Peace of Amiens during the Napoleonic wars) and we set the R-Brits to appear in 100AD will they automatically appear? The characters are auto-generated right? I've not downloaded the mod and tried it yet but I will this week.

Thanks!
    Harlechman
    "Ad majoram Dei gloriam"

I haven't tried actually modding the emergence yet, all the rest of the factions seem simple enough however the RBs vanilla emergence criteria seems to be set outside of the modding files available. What might be possible is to add a date for them in descr_events so that they operate like the Slavs - alternatively, one have to change them to a spawn_on_rebellion such as the Ostrogoths. I'd be very interested to know if just adding the date in descr_events works.

I'm happy to report that I've fixed the CTDing Romano-British by simple dint of transferring control on the turn after they appear rather than before.

It's available for Download from the original links in the top post.

The RB emergence certainly is a tenacious chap - I tried setting a date like the Slavs and changing them to appear on rebellion. The date thing CTD'd whilst it completely ignored the spawns_on_revolt. It can always be modded in to start the game - but this is a caveat to whomever is considering changing the RB for another faction in one of their mods.

After capturing the 1st city ( playing as SLAVS ) the game starts crash..

Hmmm... thanks for the report. I'll try and fix it this evening.

Thanks for reporting that, RedShooter. I've fixed that CTD and uploaded a corrected v1.2. You can install it straight on top of the old one if you don't want to bother restoring your vanilla settings.

Great job Epistola Richard!! With your permission Jidai no Ran mod team would be honored to use your work?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Always an honour to serve the noble Jidai no Ran. But do check out the Make all Factions playable in BI which achieves the same results with a slightly different approach.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 12-13-2005 at 18:39.

Epistolary Richard, thanks for a great mod.

I just started a Romano-British campaign on BI 1.6, and am fully enjoying this new challenge (if you're interested in the details, you can read this fairly long post http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotal...D=32836.topic). I have one question and one suggestion though.

The question: since I installed your mod, I don't get the option to continue battles anymore, when the whole enemy army routs. Essentially, when the last unit starts routing, the battle automatically ends (I don't get the end battle / continue battle dialog box), and I'm directly shown the battle outcome statistics. This is a little annoying, because I get all these small enemy leftover stacks all over the map, that aren't really neither a challenge nor a threat. I'm not using any other mods (I have made a minor change myself - see below - but I doubt that would cause it). Do you have any idea how I could change this back to how it was before?

The suggestion: I noticed that the Romano-British don't get all the units in campaign mode, that they get in custom battle. Those missing are: bucelarii, regular & repeating ballistae, regular & heavy onager (this is from memory - some of the artillery may actually already be in the campaign mode). I added these myself, but maybe you want to add them directly to your mod in its next release?

Thanks for the feedback. I did notice that I didn't get the continue battle option any more, however I've mostly played BI through Rebel Commander so I assumed it was something that had been taken out of BI!

As for the missing RB stuff - for mod compatability purposes I don't want to change the export_descr_buildings file, but it's a good suggestion. If you want to post the changes you made here it will give other people the chance to do them themselves if they so choose.

I played a couple of campaigns with BI 1.4 & 1.6 before installing your mod, and I always got the option to continue battles. So it does seem to be related to the mod.

I was wondering if it depends on the faction you play. When the AI routs the player's army, it never decides to pursue routers, effectively simulating what we are experiencing. Does the game somehow assume that a faction it has termed as "non-playable" should behave like an AI-controlled faction?

Since you say you've been playing BI mostly through Rebel Commander, it would be interesting to know if you have noticed this strange behavior with all factions, or just the originally non-playable ones?

I'll post my changes to export_descr_buildings later, since I'm writing this from a different PC.

Alright. In order to give the extra units to the Romano-British, here are the changes I made to the file export_descr_buildings.txt (which can be found in C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\bi\data):

Scroll down to the section called "building missiles", then a little further to "catapult range requires...". Then just add the text "romano-british" to the units you want.

This is the result for the catapult range and the siege engineer (which is all you need to change):

catapult_range requires factions { burgundii, lombardi, alemanni, franks, eastern, roman, }
    {
    capability
    {
    recruit "chosen archer alemanni" 0 requires factions { burgundii, lombardi, alemanni, }
    recruit "lombard archers" 1 requires factions { burgundii, lombardi, alemanni, }
    recruit "alemanni onager" 0 requires factions { burgundii, lombardi, alemanni, }
    recruit "celtic slingers" 1 requires factions { celts, }
    recruit "celtic crossbowmen" 1 requires factions { celts, }
    recruit "celtic kerns" 1 requires factions { celts, }
    recruit "frankish ballistae" 0 requires factions { franks, }
    recruit "saxon hunters" 1 requires factions { franks, saxons, }
    recruit "desert archers african" 1 requires factions { carthaginian, }
    recruit "mountain slinger" 0 requires factions { eastern, }
    recruit "kurdish javelinmen" 0 requires factions { eastern, }
    recruit "desert archers sassanid" 1 requires factions { eastern, }
    recruit "sassanid ballistae" 0 requires factions { eastern, }
    recruit "sassanid onagers" 0 requires factions { eastern, }
    recruit "hunnic archers" 1 requires factions { huns, }
    recruit "sarmatian virgin archers horse" 0 requires factions { roxolani, sarmatians, }
    recruit "sarmatian virgin archers foot" 0 requires factions { roxolani, sarmatians, }
    recruit "steppe raiders" 1 requires factions { slavs, vandals, }
    recruit "goth raiders" 1 requires factions { ostrogoths, goths, }
    recruit "western archer" 2 requires factions { romano_british, empire_east_rebels, empire_east, empire_west_rebels, empire_west, }
    recruit "bucellarii" 0 requires factions { romano_british, empire_west_rebels, empire_west, }
    recruit "eastern archer" 0 requires factions { empire_east_rebels, empire_east, }
    recruit "roman onagers" 0 requires factions { romano_british, empire_east_rebels, empire_east, empire_west_rebels, empire_west, }
    recruit "roman ballistae" 0 requires factions { romano_british, empire_east_rebels, empire_east, empire_west_rebels, empire_west, }
    recruit "roman scorpion" 0 requires factions { empire_east_rebels, empire_east, empire_west_rebels, empire_west, }
    }
    construction 6
    cost 4800
    settlement_min large_city
    upgrades
    {
    siege_engineer
    }
    }
    siege_engineer requires factions { burgundii, lombardi, alemanni, franks, eastern, roman, }
    {
    capability
    {
    recruit "lombard archers" 1 requires factions { burgundii, lombardi, alemanni, }
    recruit "chosen archer alemanni" 0 requires factions { burgundii, lombardi, alemanni, }
    recruit "alemanni onager" 1 requires factions { burgundii, lombardi, alemanni, }
    recruit "celtic slingers" 1 requires factions { celts, }
    recruit "celtic kerns" 1 requires factions { celts, }
    recruit "celtic crossbowmen" 1 requires factions { celts, }
    recruit "frankish ballistae" 0 requires factions { franks, }
    recruit "frankish onager" 0 requires factions { franks, }
    recruit "saxon hunters" 1 requires factions { franks, saxons, }
    recruit "desert archers african" 1 requires factions { carthaginian, }
    recruit "mountain slinger" 0 requires factions { eastern, }
    recruit "kurdish javelinmen" 0 requires factions { eastern, }
    recruit "desert archers sassanid" 1 requires factions { eastern, }
    recruit "sassanid ballistae" 0 requires factions { eastern, }
    recruit "sassanid onagers" 0 requires factions { eastern, }
    recruit "sassanid heavy onager" 0 requires factions { eastern, }
    recruit "hunnic archers" 1 requires factions { huns, }
    recruit "sarmatian virgin archers horse" 0 requires factions { roxolani, sarmatians, }
    recruit "sarmatian virgin archers foot" 0 requires factions { roxolani, sarmatians, }
    recruit "steppe raiders" 1 requires factions { slavs, vandals, }
    recruit "goth raiders" 1 requires factions { ostrogoths, goths, }
    recruit "western archer" 2 requires factions { romano_british, empire_east_rebels, empire_east, empire_west_rebels, empire_west, }
    recruit "bucellarii" 1 requires factions { romano_british, empire_west_rebels, empire_west, }
    recruit "eastern archer" 1 requires factions { empire_east_rebels, empire_east, }
    recruit "roman onagers" 0 requires factions { romano_british, empire_east_rebels, empire_east, empire_west_rebels, empire_west, }
    recruit "roman ballistae" 0 requires factions { romano_british, empire_east_rebels, empire_east, empire_west_rebels, empire_west, }
    recruit "roman heavy onager" 0 requires factions { romano_british, empire_east_rebels, empire_east, empire_west_rebels, empire_west, }
    recruit "roman repeating ballistae" 0 requires factions { romano_british, empire_east_rebels, empire_east, empire_west_rebels, empire_west, }
    recruit "carriage ballistae" 0 requires factions { empire_east_rebels, empire_west_rebels, empire_east, empire_west, }
    recruit "roman scorpion" 0 requires factions { empire_east_rebels, empire_east, empire_west_rebels, empire_west, }
    }
    construction 7
    cost 9600
    settlement_min huge_city
    upgrades
    {
    }

Wise and Partially Handsome Member Jarardo's Avatar

Great Mod, I've been having a blast with the Romano British. Night battles arent working for me though, they're no longer an option in BI with any faction. A general may still have the trait, but the little box isnt there to choose a night battle.

EDIT:EDIT AGAIN: Alright, I havent tested this thouroghly. But if the(top of the) descr_strat file looks like this:

>>>_____________________________________________________________________________

; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaign barbarian_invasion
    options bi
    playable
    huns

________________________________________________________________________________
    >>>

The night battles work. What was missing was the "options bi" line. I dont know if you may have taken that out for another reason.

This is how it looks without it:
    >>>_____________________________________________________________________________

; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaign barbarian_invasion
    playable
    huns

________________________________________________________________________________
    >>>

I was able to start as the huns, and switch over to the Romano-British, since then I've only done one auto fight, and I played out one night fight. YAY! I also did a few loads and saves.

The Battles are still ending when the last enemy starts to rout.

@Mindblank, Your post from The Totalwar forums turned me onto this mod, thanks! I'm going to try to add the First Cohort in tommorow.
    BYE FROM JARARDO
    Last edited by Jarardo; 01-05-2006 at 12:01.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

www.EuropaBarbarorum.com

Thanks for the info, Jarardo. I don't remember taking anything out of the descr_strat file like that, is it possible this was something added for 1.6?

If there are any more patches or updates I would recommend using your original descr_strat file but moving the rebel factions from the unplayable to the playable section at the top. That's the only adjustment I made to the file and if you use you original, hopefully occurrences like this can be avoided

Wise and Partially Handsome Member Jarardo's Avatar

It may be something that 1.6 requires. Because no its not in the RebelCommander desc_strat file. I did read a post from someone who updated to 1.6 and was then having this problem, so that just might be it! Anyway thanks again for the mods, having a good time with them. I'm working right now on changing the Romano-British names.

Its almost as fun as dancing, except chicks do like to dance more than play with notepad!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

www.EuropaBarbarorum.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast