Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This Martial Arts Nonsense

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Default This Martial Arts Nonsense

After the thread about grandmaster Tu’s martial penis, I believe a public spanking is in order for all these so-called martial arts from the East and Far East. We know that the oldest schools such as the Chi of Shaolin are simply circus-acts, that their extraordinary ‘accomplishments’ are the work of scam-artists and their supposedly age-old ‘mystery’ philosophies are bogus. It is all stunts and unproven theories, no facts and measurable achievements.

Even the more pedestrian schools and varieties such as judo and jiujitsu are mostly nonsense, many of their instructors lack elementary knowledge of sports physiology and their moves involve a lot of art and almost no martiality. According to street fighter and boxing instructor Ned Beaumont an average boxer can take out any Eastern-style ‘ultimate killer’ with a wrestling hold and a couple well-placed hooks and jabs. Just look at the silly spinning routines of Tae Kwon Do and ask yourself: what use is a kick that has been telegraphed to the intended victim half an hour before? Ridiculous. Karate destroys your fitness because it consists of short outbursts of activity, all in similar mold, and in between long periods of standing still in unnatural poses (mind your meniscus, people).

The only place where this nonsense belongs is in a fighting ring where every participant is bound by the same rules. Out on the street Eastern styles always lose out against good old Western boxing techniques. If anything, Eastern martial arts instructors make unnecessary victims because they give their students a false sense of confidence.

Finally, why are dojo’s decorated like Chinese temples and Japanese brothels? ‘There is no reason to hang Japanese slogans on the walls, especially if no-one can read them,’ writes British karateka Kevin Boone: ‘There is no reason to make obseisance to the founders of karate -- they are dead, and beyond mortal concern. Many karate practitioners feel that karate is a Japanese art and that their training practices should be rooted in Japan. But consider this: would you expect a Japanese rugby football team to carry on its training in pidgin English? Would you expect the team headquarters to be decorated with Union Jacks and horse brasses? Would you expect the players to finish a match, drink ten pints of lager and get into the showers together while singing Eskimo Nell? Of course you wouldn't. But that's what many British karate clubs are doing, in effect.’

Oh, and he also says this: ‘Have you ever wondered how some martial artists can punch through an eight-inch thickness of concrete slabs? I'm going to let you into a closely-guarded secret here, so listen carefully. All you have to do is -- are you paying attention? -- all you have to do is to practice punching hard objects for years and years and years. That's all there is to it. But don't tell anyone I told you, because it's a secret.’

What does this tell us about poor grandmaster Tu? I mean, imagine him going through years and years and years of these warm-ups…
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Default Re: This Martial Arts Nonsense

I knew there had to be some BS regarding the philosophical world of martial artists. But does this mean that master Tu "warmed-up" his penis this way? I don't know, this is like the extreme of ascetism, I cannot imagine a person provoquing such selfinflicted pain just for the sake of demostrations.
    In any case interesting, I didn't know that there was such a superiority of Western style over the arts of Orient. I saw some master of the Shaolin temple saying once (someone had seen him practicing Box):-Why do you practice box?-Asked the curious one. Master- "Because Kung Fu is superior but box is faster and gives you agility." Perhaps a mixture of the two will do the best form, but I think that this already exists.
    Born On The Flames

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : This Martial Arts Nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianII
    Even the more pedestrian schools and varieties such as judo and jiujitsu are mostly nonsense, many of their instructors lack elementary knowledge of sports physiology and their moves involve a lot of art and almost no martiality. According to street fighter and boxing instructor Ned Beaumont an average boxer can take out any Eastern-style ‘ultimate killer’ with a wrestling hold and a couple well-placed hooks and jabs. Just look at the silly spinning routines of Tae Kwon Do and ask yourself: what use is a kick that has been telegraphed to the intended victim half an hour before? Ridiculous. Karate destroys your fitness because it consists of short outbursts of activity, all in similar mold, and in between long periods of standing still in unnatural poses (mind your meniscus, people).

Errr, well, I might be kinda biased, being a person who think martial arts are over-roxors, but I more than once saw friends of mine kicking some serious arses using Tae Kwon Do, Karate or some other weird eastern stuff.
    Plus, there must be a reason why some special forces adopted some eastern-like martial art rather than wrestling ^^

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Nice try, AdrianII. A big GAH for you on this one. Responding to this in any detail would be like an expert historian responding to the notion that the Holocaust didn't happen. It seems to me that you've made a grand generalization, implicitly equating the likes of this stretched charlatan with great men like Ueshiba Morihei and Bruce Lee, baiting folks here and hoping for an entertaining free-for-all.

*shrugs*

If the the kids here want to squabble disrespectfully about traditions and disciplines that have survived longer than most western countries, which they know little to nothing about, okay by me. It'll just be the same ol' baselessly opinionated shyte, different flavor.

*yawns*

Edit: correct grammar error
    Last edited by Togakure; 11-26-2005 at 22:34.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Depends on what sort of martial arts you are talking about I guess. Muay Thai boxing is some serious street fighting from what I saw of it in one of their gyms overseas...reminded me of what my dad had taught me.

I did notice that those Muay Thai boxers had a bad habit of dropping their left and the coach never commented on it...could have just been the gym, but they wouldn't have lasted long versus a regular boxer. I wouldn't ever let those guys get inside on me...far too dangerous, as they excelled with elbow moves and the like. However, I could see when they were going to drop their hands just from watching them work out and spar for a few minutes. I won't claim to have been a great boxer (lack the natural speed and power of the really competitive guys), but I do take advantage of opponents' mistakes. They could drop their hands like that once, maybe twice while I analyzed it, but on the 3rd time it would be "lights out."

On the other hand, those Muay Thai fighters were in superb condition, even compared to what I was accustomed to. All they needed in that gym was a little more emphasis on some of the basic boxing skills to round them out nicely.

Some traditional boxers I've known switched to kickboxing because it was easier to be competitive. They just had to get in their required kicks. I remember one guy from the gym who was really lacking as a boxer and wanted to go pro. Instead he went for a professional kickboxing match, his first one. He had been selected as an easy fight for the kickboxer to pad his record. Instead he walked over and knocked the kickboxer out in the first minute with simple straight punches. Nothing fancy, just basic skills.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Quote Originally Posted by TogakureOjonin
    If the the kids here want to squabble disrespectfully about traditions and disciplines that have survived longer than most western countries, which they know little to nothing about, okay by me. It'll just be the same ol' baselessly opinionated shyte, different flavor.
    But please enghlight of with your knowledge so I can give a worthy opinion...After all this is a forum right?
    Born On The Flames

Quote Originally Posted by Soulforged
    But please enghlight of with your knowledge so I can give a worthy opinion...After all this is a forum right?
    What makes you think I have any knowledge? I know nothing. Besides, there is plenty of "light" in here, given the unending flow of ... err ... 'worthy' opinions. I'm curious though, what is it that makes your opinions "worthy," in anyone else's mind but your own? And why is it that you require someone else's opinion upon which to feed, rather than simply expressing your own?

Yes, last time I checked this was still a forum.

And how does AdrianII judge whether a patron is an asset to this forum or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    Well, for example, we all know that Ninjas have the Real Ultimate Power. They're cool, and by cool, I mean totally sweet. They fight ALL the time, they are mamals, and their purpose is to flip out and kill people
    Now THIS is knowledge. I think I will have to find and execute the maker of this site. He should not be giving away ancient ninja secrets like this ... .
    Last edited by Togakure; 11-26-2005 at 23:00.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

AdrianII I must say you are completely off base on this. This man can do amazing things as a result of his eastern martial arts discipline:

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/873/

After the thread about grandmaster Tu’s martial penis, I believe a public spanking is in order for all these so-called martial arts from the East and Far East. We know that the oldest schools such as the Chi of Shaolin are simply circus-acts, that their extraordinary ‘accomplishments’ are the work of scam-artists and their supposedly age-old ‘mystery’ philosophies are bogus. It is all stunts and unproven theories, no facts and measurable achievements.

The only place where this nonsense belongs is in a fighting ring where every participant is bound by the same rules. Out on the street Eastern styles always lose out against good old Western boxing techniques. If anything, Eastern martial arts instructors make unnecessary victims because they give their students a false sense of confidence.

Finally, why are dojo’s decorated like Chinese temples and Japanese brothels? ‘There is no reason to hang Japanese slogans on the walls, especially if no-one can read them,’ writes British karateka Kevin Boone: ‘There is no reason to make obseisance to the founders of karate -- they are dead, and beyond mortal concern. Many karate practitioners feel that karate is a Japanese art and that their training practices should be rooted in Japan. But consider this: would you expect a Japanese rugby football team to carry on its training in pidgin English? Would you expect the team headquarters to be decorated with Union Jacks and horse brasses? Would you expect the players to finish a match, drink ten pints of lager and get into the showers together while singing Eskimo Nell? Of course you wouldn't. But that's what many British karate clubs are doing, in effect.’

Oh, and he also says this: ‘Have you ever wondered how some martial artists can punch through an eight-inch thickness of concrete slabs? I'm going to let you into a closely-guarded secret here, so listen carefully. All you have to do is -- are you paying attention? -- all you have to do is to practice punching hard objects for years and years and years. That's all there is to it. But don't tell anyone I told you, because it's a secret.’

What does this tell us about poor grandmaster Tu? I mean, imagine him going through years and years and years of these warm-ups…
    I'll agree that some eastern martial arts styles are total Bull Shit, with Aikido being at the top of the list. But some are mean't for ass-kicking plain and simple. Those include Muay-Thai, Sambo, and some Indian style who's name escapes me.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

And how does AdrianII judge whether a patron is an asset to this forum or not?
    Simple, because AdrianII is a human equipped with a functional brain etcetera and capable of judging for himself.

Now I gave all sorts of reasons in support of a statement and you gave none to oppose it. You say that some of these 'arts' are older than most western countries. As far as I know all such claims are unproven. And even if they were true, so what? It remains to be proven that these 'arts' are any good compared to Western boxing and that they are not fake like the Shaolin mumbo jumbo. Some schools that make the most extraordinary claims about their 'arts' are notorious no-shows in scientific tests and face-offs with other techniques.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro
    AdrianII I must say you are completely off base on this. This man can do amazing things as a result of his eastern martial arts discipline:

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/873/
    Thank you so much, Sasaki Kojiro. That was two minutes of unadulterated pleasure. Now that man is a worthy follower of a real ancient art, the Kabuki tradition. The last part was brilliant.

Simple, because AdrianII is a human equipped with a functional brain etcetera and capable of judging for himself.

Now I gave all sorts of reasons in support of a statement and you gave none to oppose it. You say that some of these 'arts' are older than most western countries. As far as I know all such claims are unproven. And even if they were true, so what? It remains to be proven that these 'arts' are any good compared to Western boxing and that they are not fake like the Shaolin mumbo jumbo. Some schools that make the most extraordinary claims about their 'arts' are notorious no-shows in scientific tests and face-offs with other techniques.
    They make up some crazy stuff so all the teenagers who want to be badass will pay money at the dojo. I don't know if that means the fighting styles themselves are useless. A lot of it looks real flashy but probably isn't that usefull, it makes for nice movies though, I guess that's what I always thought martial arts was about, instead of fighting.

I watch "ultimate fighter" from time to time and I'm not convinced of the superiority of western style boxing. Seen people try to box and then get kicked around or brought to the ground and and submitted ar beaten up.

Usually it's only the heavyweight fighters who can knock someone out with a punch.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Back when I did Tae Kwon Do (Elementary school essentially) I noticed that i did have an advantage when i got into fights. It's not like I was giving roundhouse kicks to the face or anything, but you do pick up a thing or two. In fights I've seen, if there was a person involved with a bit of martial arts experience, he would usually win and often dominate the fight.

I don't know how effective these martial arts are compared to regular boxing, but keep in mind that regular boxing involves getting punched in the face quite a lot. This isn't my idea of a fun hobby. Of course, since it gives you actual fighting experience, it's a safe bet that when it comes to learning how to actually win serious fights, it's one of best options. Experience is the best teacher.

And indeed, there is a lot to say about fighting with just punches. After all, while a kick is more powerful in theory (I think at least) it's a lot more difficult to use, requires proper clothing, can leave you more exposed and vulnerable, can mess up your balance, is harder to aim, etc. Generally speaking, you should only kick your opponent when he's down. I'm not sure about grips, a lot of them seem quite effective, of course, you have to get close enough to actually use them.

My general opinion about martial arts is that they can help you in a fight, if you know how to use them. But mostly, you should practice them because you like doing them, not to become bulletproof. And really, you should avoid getting into fights.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Great thread. Now I'm in the mood to watch a little Pride.
    Last edited by Proletariat; 11-27-2005 at 00:17.

... Now I gave all sorts of reasons in support of a statement and you gave none to oppose it. ...
    Yes, indeed.

Yes, and a mouth and arsehole too--though which you talk out of at any given moment is a crap chute. Now, if I could just figure how to harness egos and transform them into energy, I would solve the world's energy problems.
    Last edited by Togakure; 11-27-2005 at 00:59.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

What makes you think I have any knowledge? I know nothing. Besides, there is plenty of "light" in here, given the unending flow of ... err ... 'worthy' opinions. I'm curious though, what is it that makes your opinions "worthy," in anyone else's mind but your own? And why is it that you require someone else's opinion upon which to feed, rather than simply expressing your own?
    The fact that you said we were speaking out of ignorance, I mean such statement implies knowledge in the negative comparision. If I'm ignorant then you *know* why I'm ignorant, for instance you've knowledge on the subject. I meant worthy in the sense of being based on true knowledge, that that you are able to provide. I expressed my opinion, however if you've something to englight me it will be even better.
    Born On The Flames

Usually it's only the heavyweight fighters who can knock someone out with a punch.
    That is what characters like Boone and Beaumont say as well. And I believe that whomever you are fighting and no matter in what 'style', it just pays off have good all-round fitness. Some martial arts will give you that, others won't. Maybe a combination of body weight, all-round fitness and morale is more decisive than finding your 'center', breathing like a tiger, moving like a cricket, etcetera.

In fact I believe I hate and despise the accompanying mumbo jumbo more than the 'arts' themselves. The awed followers, the ridiculous routines, the 'timeless wisdom' directly taken off the bathroom birthday calender. Yuk. But I believe that something like yoga for instance can have very beneficial effects, though not of the kind that is usually advertised.

Although even a good thing can be taken too far.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Maybe a combination of body weight, all-round fitness and morale is more decisive than finding your 'center', breathing like a tiger, moving like a cricket, etcetera.
    That kind of 'mumbo jumbo' is mainly aimed at achieving one thing. Calmness. A fighter who can keep thinking in the middle of a fight has a big advantage over an opponent who just wildly throws punches.

Good breathing is also important, as it is in any sport, because it gives you better endurance.

Another possibly important aspect is balance. What else is 'finding your center' about ? Balance is essential in any fight, but it gets even more important when you look at your typical martial art style. I mentioned in a previous post the ineffectiveness of kicks. Well, this can be largely countered by improving your balance. Without proper balance you'll never get a decent kick in. (You can still knee 'em though ).
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

In fact I believe I hate and despise the accompanying mumbo jumbo more than the 'arts' themselves. The awed followers, the ridiculous routines, the 'timeless wisdom' directly taken off the bathroom birthday calender. Yuk. But I believe that something like yoga for instance can have very beneficial effects, though not of the kind that is usually advertised.

Well, that's what people want...they all watched "the karate kid" where daniel became a super fighter by painting fences

I'm sure if when those martial arts are studied as a way of fighting rather than than a philosophy of life they produce tough fighters.

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

I watch "ultimate fighter" from time to time and I'm not convinced of the superiority of western style boxing. Seen people try to box and then get kicked around or brought to the ground and and submitted ar beaten up.
    I haven't watched them much, saw some guys trying to get into it on a show recently, and they were just awful. No real boxing skills, they weren't even trying to deliver simple straight combinations. And they were having no luck taking each other out.
    Not at all, it's about welterweight where the power starts to show in boxing. Below welterweight few have enough power to take someone out with a single punch, at welterweight (147 lbs in USABF) single punches start becoming dangerous and I've seen quite a few single punch knockouts this way. (Hey, I've seen stars from a single punch at welterweight...but I didn't go down, never been off my feet in the ring or sparring, although I've been TKO'ed.) Middleweights have lots of power and I've seen them knock each other out many times. I watched one of the better middleweights in our club both receive and deliver a knockdown at the same time. He was able to regain his feet, the other guy was out. Crowd loved it!

When I was at welterweight my sparring partner was a very good lefty middleweight (different fellow.) He won nearly all of his bouts by single punch knockouts in the first round. He blacked both my eyes while sparring once...but never took me off my feet. He had a great style, good upper body/head mobility, he would suck you forward with this movement while you were trying to connect, then nail you with an overhand left (instead of a right since he was a lefty) when you were pulling back. All around nice guy too and in great shape...despite rarely needing more than a round or two. I don't think I ever caught him as good as he did me with a headshot, although I was able to "finish" him for a session with body blows--can't hit the mobile head, go for the less mobile body. (That was courtesy of our Texas state champion welterweight showed me how to land nice long range rights to the body, hooking at the end.)

Once you start getting heavier speed is reduced as is the frequency of punches. There is tremendous power behind them, but they have a harder time actually landing cleanly versus other boxers. The better fighting occurs from welterweight to cruiserweight. Heavyweights are boring, but powerful.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

... I'm sure if when those martial arts are studied as a way of fighting rather than than a philosophy of life they produce tough fighters.
    It's the integration of these two that produces the most "tough fighters," from what I've seen. It's similar to music--one can become a masterful technician and still not play with artistic mastery.

There are so many charlatans who make a mockery of martial "arts." For every legitimate teacher or school there must be 20 utterly ridiculous excuses for such. Is this good reason to be disdainful of all of them?

For those who are sincerely interested, you might try searching up on the transition from the use of the suffix "jutsu" to the use of the suffix "do" in Japanese martial arts. There is bit of information out there about this; it speaks to the change from "fighting ways" to "arts" over the years, how and why this came about, etc..
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

You guys will probly notice, if you watch any mixed martial arts competitions such as UFC, that traditional western boxing makes up quite a small minority of the range of techniques used by the fighters. 90 percent of these fights will end up on the ground which is where systems such as jujitsu come into thier own and dominate the field.

Also, by my judgement the kicks and knee strikes uitilised in muay thai are just as practical as any western boxing techniques, eccpecially for those of light to medium bodyweight. If a fighter goes into one of these cages solely as a boxer, and start bobbing and ducking around like they in the WBA, you can expect he'll get knocked out by a swift shin kick to the face before long.

Any successfull MMA fighter will have a large range of techiniques at his disposal, and my bets are that three quarters of these techniques will come from adapted and developed systems of old eastern martial arts.
    Last edited by buujin; 11-27-2005 at 01:31.
    [VDM]BuuKenshin

Quote Originally Posted by Red Harvest
    I haven't watched them much, saw some guys trying to get into it on a show recently, and they were just awful. No real boxing skills, they weren't even trying to deliver simple straight combinations. And they were having no luck taking each other out.
    That's the the ultimate fighter II...the reality tv show. And yeah, they suck. The actual thing is better.

Have you watched the older ones? I seem to remember a Brazilian guy winning in the ones I saw, ages ago. He took quite a beating, waited for his opportunity, then wrapped his opponents up like a python and slowly squeezed the fight out of them. He had a very odd style, surprisingly effective. I think the guy's name was Gracie, and he comes from a family of "martial artists."

Edit: Yeah, the Gracies are apparently Scottish immigrants to Brazil who were originally introduced to "jiu jitsu" by a Japanese immigrant.
    Last edited by Togakure; 11-27-2005 at 01:46.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

that will be brazillian jujitsu then :)
    Its incredibly practical and well developted for groundwork and submission grappling. Adapted originally from the japanese system
    [VDM]BuuKenshin

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Edit: Yeah, the Gracies are apparently Scottish immigrants to Brazil who were originally introduced to "jiu jitsu" by a Japanese immigrant.
    Right, then a Japanese fellow named Sakuraba kicked his and the rest of his family's asses and was named The Gracie Hunter. Then Sakuraba was pounded by Wanderlai Silva, a Brazilian who employs a vicious maui thai style.

Great stuff.

Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Yes, and a mouth and arsehole too--though which you talk out of at any given moment is a crap chute.
    My, we haven't found our inner peace yet, have we?

Reminds me of the Bart Simpson episode where Bart goes to the local McDojo to learn some kewl kicks. When the sensei starts unloading the usual crap about inner peace Bart goes: 'Hey, I already know how not to hit a guy!'

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

Ok. Adrian II, that guy really did pull that truck with his dong. What does that tell you about the type of training he had/has?

In terms of fighting, it's not about the art, so much as how well you can handle your body and mind.

Yes, psychological mindset has something to do with it. That's why I consider Togakure Ojonin to be one scary motherf***er, because he is psychologically ready to beat the shit out of someone. Red Harvest, too, he can maintain a clear head while fighting. Physically, Togakure is a fairly small guy, he's probably isn't as physically strong or fit as I am. What he does have though, is a calm mindset. I'd rather fight someone like Capo; despite the fact that Capo is signifcantly larger than I am, there's a good chance that he would just start randomly swinging towards the general direction of my head or trying blindly to tackle me, instead of making measured, well thought out assaults.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast