Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Alternate history: the Anarchy of King Stephen.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Default Re: Alternate history: the Anarchy of King Stephen.

Ok, it isn't exactly a lot of troops, but they are loyal and they are of good quality. Lets get them back.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

OK, a more "accurate map"
    Red is royal land, blue Angevin and green that of Ranulf of Chester.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

In view of the map, you have two options for invading the West Country:
    1. March straight for Robert' heartlands in Somerset and Gloucestershire.
    2. Push through the peninsula into Devon and Cornwall, strengthening your position in those counties.
    www.thechap.net
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

As much as I would love to strengthen our position I believe we are the stronger faction here. So if Robert wishes to divide his limited resoruces to deal with our isolated dominions, then we should let him. It will hurt him more than us.

We should go for the jugular and end this now. 2!

I can't seem to remember Ranulf...

OK, so you mean 1.
    Ranulf of Chester is one of the wealthiest magnates of England, the big cheese of the north.
    www.thechap.net

Option 1 - deal with the centre and the rest falls.
    Non me rogare, loquare non lingua latinus

Yes... 2 the other 1, not 2.

Ah... And what is our relation to him? I simply can't remember him. Is he a lukewarm supporter or something?

He is a lukewarm supporter, yes.
    www.thechap.net

Ahhhh... Then I can see a vested interest in letting the Scots invade, thus forcing him to support us in fear that he might lose his power.

Historically speaking, Ranulf was not at all friendly with the Scots (one of the points of antagonism between him and Stephen was that Stephen was too friendly with the Scots).
    www.thechap.net

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Option 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Take down the contender: Option 1. Two, while allow us to get stronger, will also allow Gloucester a breathing space he should not has.

The Scots show sign of intervening, and the war in Normandy continues. We can't linger and consolidate.

The "Green" party is a lukewarm supporter, eh? Save him for a showdown with Scotland, then, since he has a hatred for them. He'll be a very useful ally, unlikely to stab Stephen in the back while both are sacking Scot lands, or fighting saving English lands from them.

So you have decided. Excellent.
    www.thechap.net

We have... Now we wait.

OK, sorry for the delay chaps, but I was quite busy before and now I'm on holiday. I should post the next bit when I get back, i.e around the 3rd of November.
    www.thechap.net

Huzzah! One year old today! And to celebrate this particular birthday, here is the next chapter:

The King scratched his beard and spoke slowly. “Brian Fitz Count is Master of Wallingford. In return for his release I demand that the castle be handed over to me. As for the ransom of soldiers, you may tell your master that I accept his offer.”
    Gilbert looked uneasy and remained silent for a while. “I am afraid that I do not have the authority to hand over any of the possessions of my Lord of Gloucester nor of that of any of his vassals.”
    “Then you may return when you have your master’s answer. Only then will I release any of the prisoners as agreed.”
    The envoy bowed and he and his two companions exited the throne room.

The King stood on the battlements of the White Tower, gazing at the roofs and the streets of London. The city was a hive of activity: peddlers were selling their wares, ships were unloading their cargo from the Continent and across the river, smoke rose from the stews Southwark, a warren of narrow alleyway, baths and taverns frequented by thieves and whores, all the property of the Bishop of Winchester.
    Stephen slammed his fist down on a merlon. He had decided. He would strike at the heart of Robert Fitz Roy’s lands; he would strike at Gloucester.
    He announced his plan to his wife, his brother and Robert of Leicester, who was still in London.
    “Do you wish me to raise more men, sire?” the Earl asked.
    “I think you would be of great service to me, my Lord, if you returned to your fiefdoms and prepared for war.”
    Messengers were arriving every day from castellans, lords and earls the length and breadth of the realm. The King now knew he could count of the support of some of the great magnates of the land: William de Warenne, Earl of Surrey; William d’Aubigny, Lord of Arundel; Alan, Count of Penthièvre; William le Gros, Lord of Holderness and Count of Aumale and Robert, Bishop of Bath.
    However, there were some who were conspicuous by their absence. Foremost of these was Roger, Bishop of Salisbury whose treachery the King suspected when he captured that chest of letters from Robert of Gloucester’s encampment at Dinas Bran. His nephew, Bishop Nigel of Ely had joined the Angevins for certes. Also notably absent were Hugh Bigod, Lord of Norwich, and Earl Ranulf of Chester.
    Stephen gave orders for the feudal army to be summoned and that it should be ready for the summer campaign two weeks hence, by the Feast of St Vitus.
    Twelve days before the Feast of St Vitus, Robert of Gloucester’s envoy had returned. They came unannounced, in the late afternoon when the sunlight turned a tawny gold, and when a light breeze rustled the young green leaves in the oak trees in the yard of the Tower. It was as fine a weather as many had seen in early June, however those whose old wounds still throbbed, could feel that worse times were to come.
    King Stephen was in the great hall this time, where he was studying the parchments concerning the supply of food for the campaign.
    “My lord Gilbert of Fécamp,” announced the chamberlain as Robert’ messenger entered the hall.
    “My lord Gilbert, I see that your master has made haste in his decision. I trust that it is an agreeable one,” said Stephen with a wry smile.
    “My Lord of Blois,” bowed Gilbert, a few paces from the King. “I have come here to say to you that my master agrees with the terms set forward by your lordship concerning the possession of the castles of Wallingford and Abergavenny and the fate of the prisoners and my Lord Brian fitz Count. However, my lord Robert fitz Roy has his own conditions: firstly, since he well recognises the value of such a stronghold as Wallingford, the sum of 600 pounds in silver [Readers note: a mark was worth two thirds of a silver pound, thus 900 marks equalled 600 pounds. A mark was never an actual coin, merely a currency used in accounting] be paid by your lordship with half forthwith and half when the exchange is completed. Secondly, the castle of Abergavenny will be razed to the ground. Thirdly, the prisoners will be exchanged and the balance of the money paid on the feast of Saint Leo II, when Wallingford shall be handed over to your lordship. These are my lord’s terms.”
    The King tried to hide his sense of elation. Wallingford! One of the strongest castles in the land would be gained for but a trifling amount of money.
    “You may tell your master that I fully agree to his terms.”

Over the next two weeks, the soldiers from Sussex, Surrey, Essex, Suffolk, Hampshire and Bedford arrived knight by knight, lord by lord. In order to prevent an outbreak of the ague that plagued the inhabitants to the marshy east of the city, the soldiers were encamped west of London, around the Abbey of Westminster. As the days went past, the camp grew and grew until it was a sprawl of tents, the grey smoke rising from the campfires and the bread ovens mingling with the thick black coal smoke burned in the poorer dwellings of the city.
    Some of the most important barons had already arrived, and were lodged in the Tower with their retinues.
    The chief of these, Henry de Tracy, William de Warenne and William d’Aubigny were in council with the King. William de Warenne was a young and lively man, but twenty years old, now one of the richest lords of the south after the death of his father that year. The King had asked for their presence to give him counsel on the conduct of the war.
    There were two questions at hand. The first was the route of march for the campaign.
    D’Aubigny favoured a strike straight at the main strongholds of Robert of Gloucester. “Sire, I say that we attack through the valley of the Thames, striking at the strongholds of Oxford and Gloucester before turning west and turning on Bristol. With the caputs of his fiefdoms taken, Gloucester’s power will be broken and the rest of his castles will fall like ripe fruit.”
    Henry de Tracy shook his head. “My liege, such an attack would allow Robert of Caen to concentrate all his forces against us. I suggest that we attack in two prongs, with you my lord commanding the main force marching down from the north and taking Gloucester, and I leading the smaller column against Bristol.”
    Stephen turned to William de Warenne. “What think you, my lord?”
    “I have no opinion on such a matter,” he replied. “However, I do believe that any attack which is to be made should be done decisively and rapidly, send a lightning force of cavalry through Gloucester’s lands, taking what we can before we move on to the next castle, burning the land as we advance. Such an attack would mortally wound Robert Fitz Roy, and he would be heavily weakened for further attacks.”
    William d’Aubigny shook his head. “Your Highness, I fear that these proposals are too rash. In order to vanquish Gloucester we must advance methodically, taking castle by castle, so that we may establish a firm hold.”
    “Nay, sir, you are wrong,” protested Henry de Tracy. “My lord, it is fruitless to make such a slow advance against the enemy. We must attack quickly, relying mainly on our cavalry to mount surprise attacks on castles, before garrisoning them with our infantry and moving on. We may thus dismiss the bulk of our foot soldiers from whom we can collect the scutage.”

You must now decide your plan of action.

A. The route of march:
    1.Attack through the Thames valley to Gloucester before proceeding on Bristol.
    2. Heed Henry de Tracy’s advice and launch a double assault on Robert of Gloucester, the main one from the north commanded by you and the lesser one from the south led by de Tracy.

B. The means of attack:
    1. Attack with only your cavalry to “blitz” your opponents and gain the advantage of surprise. However due to considerations such as the mobility of your force, you will not be able to conserve all your gains.
    2. Do as above, however in a more conservative style, by consolidating your gains with infantry. However, you will not be able to capture as much land as above.
    3. Advance slowly and surely, taking Robert’s lands castle by castle.

However, as you can see, this alternate history is now a year old, and chronologically speaking, we have advanced by about two months. Not very impressive, I know. Therefore, I am sorry to say that you will have to expect this story to go about as quickly as an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping, however, I shall do my best to continue this for as long as the .org remains.
    www.thechap.net

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

It's baaaack! *do a tap-dance*

King Henry V: Do we have any intelligence on the strength of the garrisons in Oxford and Gloucester? That could factor in greatly on both choices.

Thus, my current decision is preliminary, and would likely change depending upon discussion:

A: I don't know what the two-pronged attacks would do if de Caen simply chooses to ignore one and throw all his forces at another, potentially annihilating it. I think I'd keep them in one force, led by the King himself. Striking through the Thames Valley could, if we're lucky, finish the war right then and there. Moreover, I think Medieval Lords simply don't like the idea of a protracted, lengthy, expensive, methodically destructive civil war right in the middle of their estates too much; the longer it goes, the less support we have. Choice 1. This also depends on by choice at B...

B: 2nd. Try the blitzkrieg elements as far as it is safe, but make sure to actually keep the lands (and don't try to burn too much! After all, we intend to keep them). Since my first choice implies not splitting the forces the cavalry elements would be relatively strong. However, stop the blitz if Gloucester's main forces are near, and reunite with the infantry elements for the Big Battle (tm) ahead. Hopefully we'll be able to take Oxford this way; and if we're truly lucky, Gloucester also. Taking down the Earl's theoretical "home castle" would be a symbolic victory.
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 11-28-2006 at 09:08.

Gloucester, as the caput of Robert of Caen, will no doubt be heavily garrisoned and well supplied. Oxford is a lesser castle, held by Henry D'Oyly, but it commands one of the vital crossing points of the Thames and it is thus a strong structure made of stone. Robert of Caen would be foolish not keep a strong body of men there.
    www.thechap.net

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Alternate history: the Anarchy of King Stephen.

Yes, I am also for the safe 1.1 and 2.2. In the first option it is too risky to split your forces. That's why I choose the safer one. And somehow splitting one's forces in a political unrest makes the desertion easier. Somehow I can not trust to de Tracy so much to give him the command of an essential group of the army.

The first of the second option is also a risky one. The third one is too expensive since we have a certain time for achieving our goal. The second is the best for what we have.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

I to would go for A1 and B2 - we have got through the tricky times, let us not take any chances now - keep it safe.

Can I also welcome the return of this interactive - the pace does not really worry me, I do like the quality of what comes out and how well it is written - so it is worth the wait.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

I have to point out that as the King accepted Robert's offer, no military action can be taken before the Feast of Saint Irenaeus (changed from the Feast of Saint Leo), thirteen days after the planned beginning of the campaign.
    www.thechap.net

In a top-secret lab planning world domination

I'm back!

*catches up on current situation*

Hm... I'm not going to have much to add here to what others have said. I think fast and powerful is the word of the day. Thus I'm also going with A1 and B2.

We seem to have a powerful army gathering, and I'd rather not divide it. One good decisive battle could bring the campaign against Gloucester to a rapid conclusion.

Furthermore, I don't like the idea of a slow and methodical advance, especially when we have so many other threats to deal with. In addition, laying waste to the lands as we go is a bad idea. It's not as though we're invading a foreign land - it's our own land, and we want it to be useful to us once we're done.
    If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward. -Jack Handey

I agree with the above. It is too risky splitting our forces.

A1 and B2.
    Last edited by Ignoramus; 11-30-2006 at 09:58.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I agree.

A1 B2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

How can I disagree with you guys...

I used the TW games as my template. What would I do if it was in one of teh TW games? I would make a single hard strike at the heart, a fast but not overly such, advance. So I agree with the current wave of choices.

Btw, how goes things near Wales? Have we heard anything about the young prince and our aid to him? Has he abandoned us or is he still our fairly loyal servant?
    Last edited by Kraxis; 12-07-2006 at 23:35.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678