Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate history: the Anarchy of King Stephen.

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Default Alternate history: the Anarchy of King Stephen.

Right, since Vykke's Alternate History has gone cold for these past months, I have decided to write a new alternate history about Stephen, King of England and Duke of Normandy. His reign was in realtiy blighted by civil war (commonly known as the Anarchy) as he fought against his rival claimants, the Empress Matilda, Countess of Anjou and her son, Henry Plantagenet (the future Henry II). However, maybe with a few good decisions by our venerable members, things might have turned out differently.
    The rules are exactly the same as Vykke's: first three posters decide, first one casts the deciding vote and gets to make suggestions.
    Have fun!
    Alternate History
    The Anarchy of King Stephen

You are Stephen of Blois, King of England, Duke of Normandy and Count of Mortain. The year is 1138, the third year of your reign. It has not been a peaceful one. It has been eighteen years since that black, cold November day when William the Aetheling, sole legitimate son of King Henry and heir to the throne of England and the duchy of Normandy, drowned with many others (including your own sister, Matilda) when his ship, the Blanc Nef, floundered of the coast of Normandy. It was a fate you yourself only narrowly escaped by having a fortunate bout of diarrhoea, preventing you from taking the doomed ship. The disaster left Matilda, widow of the Emperor Henry V of the Holy Roman Empire as heir to the throne. In order to secure Matilda’s accession, King Henry had exacted oaths from all barons and clergymen of the realm that they would recognise her as the rightful sovereign upon his death. You were one of these barons. However, the oath was made on condition that Matilda would not be married without the permission of the barons beforehand. Yet in they year of Our Lord 1128, in order to seal an alliance with Normandy’s age old enemy, Anjou, against the King of France, Matilda was married with Count Geoffrey of Anjou, without the permission of the barons. This match also would have meant that the unpopular Geoffrey would have been crowned King of England along with his wife. In effect, Anjou would have won, having its Count sitting on the throne of England, without even raising a sword.
    In December 1135, King Henry died. Matilda, still in Anjou, did not make for England. Anarchy soon took hold throughout the land. None acclaimed Matilda. It was then that you seized the initiative. As the favourite nephew of the late King, you had been given extensive lands in England, the county of Mortain and the hand in marriage of the rich heiress, Maud of Boulogne. And so, in during Advent of the year 1135, you took a ship bound for England from the port of Wissant. Despite being denied entry to Dover and Canterbury, you made way for London where the citizens hailed you as their King. Having secured London, you made way for Winchester, site of the national treasury and held by your brother Henry of Blois, Bishop of Winchester. With London and Winchester under your command, only one last hurdle remained before you could safely call yourself Rex Anglorum et Dux Normannnorum. You needed to be crowned and anointed by the Archbishop of Canterbury. It was to prove the highest hurdle of all. William Corbeil, Archbishop of Canterbury, was an experienced ecclesiast and well remembered the oath he had sworn to King Henry three times and was reluctant to recognise you as King. However, help was at hand in the form of Hugh Bigod, an important nobleman of East Anglia and two other knights. They swore an oath that said that they had been present at Henry’s deathbed when he had disinherited his daughter and son-in-law for having angered and insulted him and that you were to be acclaimed as the next king.
    The Archbishop accepted Bigod’s oath and on 22nd December 1135, you were crowned King of England and Duke of Normandy. The Norman barons soon followed suit and soon every nearly every major baron throughout the realm, including Robert of Gloucester, half brother of Matilda and Henry’s favourite bastard son, swore fealty to you. Even his Holiness Pope Innocent II formally recognised you as king. For that period, the future had seemed rosy.

The two years since your coronation in December 1135 and spring 1138 have not been easy. There have been rebellions in the West Country, raids on the Welsh border, incursions by the Scots and last year Geoffrey of Anjou invaded Normandy, seizing several castles which he claims had been promised as part of his wife’s dowry. You had gone to Normandy to repel him, but a fight between Flemish mercenaries and Norman barons and the latter’s departure from your army had destroyed all likelihood of battle and a three year truce was signed for which you paid three thousand marks.
    You have several supporters and advisors to help you in the governing of your kingdom. These include your brother Henry, Bishop of Winchester and Abbot of Glastonbury, the Beaumont twins: Earl Robert of Leicester and Count Waleran of Meulan, Gilbert of Clare and William of Ypres, commander of your Flemish mercenaries and your chief military lieutenant.
    You are residing at the Tower of London, the white stone fortress built by your grandfather William the Bastard. Sitting by the warm glow of the blazing fire in the hearth of the Great Hall, your advisors approach you with several pressing issues.
    “My liege,” says Gilbert of Clare. “The Welsh continue to harass our border, attack our castles and burn our land. We must respond with force and teach these savages a lesson so hard that they will never forget. I myself would be able to raise some men from my own estates to fight against them.”
    Your brother disagrees. “Noble king, Baldwin de Redvers has rebelled and seized Exeter Castle and now commits most heinous acts of banditry against the citizens of the town and the surrounding lands. And may I remind you that Exeter is also the fourth city of the kingdom, and is a valuable source of income for the royal coffers. A show of force against de Redvers would be most valuable, and would serve as an example to others.”
    Waleran, Count of Meulan speaks. “My lord would do well to remember that the situation in Normandy still remains unresolved, and Geoffrey of Anjou still holds several key castles along the border. If we were to decisively defeat him in battle, he and Matilda would no longer consist a threat.”
    William of Ypres offers his opinion. “King David of Scotland regularly invades England. He has seized Carlisle and Newcastle, while his forces continue to pillage the land, committing unspeakable atrocities. He also claims Matilda of Anjou to be the rightful sovereign.”

It is now time for you to decide the action to be taken:

1.Follow Gilbert of Clare’s advice and pacify the Welsh border. It would secure the allegiance of barons who have been far from the centre of power and could act as a balance against Robert of Gloucester, who is proving increasingly cold and hostile.
    2. Listen to your brother Henry and quash the rebellious Baldwin. You need to show your steel early on in your reign and Exeter is one of the richest ports on the English Channel.
    3. Leave for Normandy and resume war with Anjou, even though the three-year truce is still in its first year. However, most of your barons have both lands in Normandy and England, and you may lose their support should they become threatened.
    4. Raise an army and march against the Scots. It would rid Matilda of a political ally and you would garner support from the northern lords.
    You must decide.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Default Re: Alternate history: the Anarchy of King Stephen.

Nr. 2 is my choice, simply because it seems like the easiest task at the moment. Secure more income and later strike at someone else. I'd wait a good while before going to Normandy.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Do #2 it is the most safe and it will solidify your power and we all know no one can quell the welsh
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Crush Baldwin. Disregard the entire feudal customs and tradition and make a good example out of him breaking apart his body into four pulled off by four horses.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

Could this thread be stickied pelase? I'd like to see it stay on top. And big hurray for King Henry for starting a new interactive history Always nice to have one running here

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

2 we cant let the rebelion grow
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

I am debating between 2 and 3. If one lost the barons' support, they might rebel or support rebels. However, dealing with Baldwin would show the people your character, make a good name, et cetera.

I say 2 then, one can hardly sail away when there is trouble at home...
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre
    Crush Baldwin. Disregard the entire feudal customs and tradition and make a good example out of him breaking apart his body into four pulled off by four horses.
    You nasty Turk you

But I must agree with you. Crush the rebels!
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

In a top-secret lab planning world domination

Definitely number 2. Deal with one threat at a time - this campaign is the likeliest one to be quick, easy, and deliver the best returns for the minimum investment. We can use the money from Exeter to wage further wars if necessary.
    If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward. -Jack Handey

Attack on Exeter

“I have decided!” you announce as you rise from your chair. “Wales, Scotland and Normandy may wait until later, but I shall, nay I cannot tolerate any nobleman who rises up against me and questions my royal prerogative. I shall march on Exeter!”
    You observe the faces of those around you. Your brother wears a small smile of triumph, while Gilbert and Waleran look ashen, as their lands will continue to be harassed. Only William of Ypres is expressionless: unlike your other advisors, he has no local attachment at all. Perhaps his was the right choice after all. Yet you could not change your mind now; you have made your intentions clear, and to alter them would show yourself to be weak and of feeble will. Still, de Redvers has to be dealt with sooner rather than later.
    On the morrow, you give orders for the preparations for you foray into the West Country. You send word to various lords to assemble their knights and men-at-arms at Sherborne Castle, stronghold of Bishop Roger of Salisbury, chief treasurer of your late uncle’s administration. However, you have told your barons to act in the utmost secrecy, and you are ostensibly going for a hunting trip. Surprise will be one of your chief advantages.
    You say farewell to your wife and leave London with a bodyguard of twenty knights and some hundred Flemish mercenaries. You are accompanied by Henry and William of Ypres. Both Waleran of Meulan and Gilbert of Clare have left for their own, endangered lands, while Robert of Leicester still remains in the Midlands on business.
    As you go from castle to castle in England, through the green rolling hills of Southern England the local populace gather acclaim you. Your kind nature and your reputation for bravery in battle has earned you the steady support of your subjects, even though to all intents and purposes your are little more than a foreign prince ruling over your English subjects. However, your wife is the descendant of Edmund Ironside, one of the last Saxon kings of England and your son Eustace will be the first King to be of the bloodline of the Cercidings since Edward the Confessor almost one hundred years ago.
    After a week of travelling you arrive before the white Caen stone walls of Sherborne Castle. A large host of men, supposedly various servants and attendants of your vassals, are camped in and around the walls of the castle. After partaking in a day’s deer hunting, you assemble your barons in the great hall of the castle and hold a council. Your lords inform you that you have two hundred and fifty cavalry, mostly mounted spearmen and men-at-arms, but with a core of seventy-five knights, one hundred and fifty foot soldiers of varying degrees of experience and equipment and some sixty archers and crossbowmen. To this you add your own Flemish mercenaries and bodyguard to make a good mixed force of about six hundred men. Scouts inform you that Baldwin only has half the number of soldiers, although he remains behind the strong stonewalls of Exeter Castle.
    After a feast of roasted venison from the day’s hunt, you rise from your chair at the head of the table to speak.
    “My lords, I wish to thank you for fulfilling your duty to me as your suzerain by bringing your men here to act under my command and to my lord Bishop of Salisbury for allowing me the usage of his stronghold, even though circumstances do not permit him from attending our council. I would like to remind you of the position we are presently in: Baldwin de Redvers, a most traitorous and malicious man, has seized the royal castle of Exeter and has pillaged the surrounding countryside, terrorising the subjects of this realm and exacting a most heavy tax on them. I will no longer tolerate his blatant rebellion and I shall march on Exeter and teach this treacherous dog that no man defies me!”
    To this the barons begin thundering their fists down on the table in applause. After a few moments you raise your hand to silence them. The hall quietens down.
    “I would now be most welcome to any tactics or strategies you may have to trap this viper,” you say.
    A man rises from his seat. His clothes are drab and well worn and his face bears the scars of many battles.
    “Sire, de Redvers garrison is currently unprepared and has grown lax. If we make a swift strike against Exeter with some cavalry we may be able to bottle up the garrison before they even have the opportunity to gather food into the castle. It would only be a matter of weeks before the castle falls. If we despatch two hundred cavalry in the late afternoon, they would arrive before dawn when the rebels are still abed. They will be trapped!” He slams his fist against his palm to emphasise his point.
    The hall erupts in applause again. Silence falls after a few minutes. However, an aged, grey haired man whose wrinkles have been padded out by layers of fat begins to speak.
    “My lord,” he starts as he fingers his jerkin of blue Flanders wool. “My lord de Rougehavre, » he gestures towards the previous man, “is much to hasty and rash
    in his plan to quash this rebellion. The walls of Exeter are strong and a lone watchman could easily alert the garrison of the arrival of horsemen. With the gates bolted shut, the cavalry would be repulsed with severe losses. We cannot afford to lose some of our finest soldiers. Instead we should slowly advance on Exeter, until it is finally surrounded and the rebels trapped. Then and only then will your majesty’s victory be complete.”
    The rest of the barons, battle-thirsty as ever, growl their criticisms of the plan. William of Ypres, commander of your Flemings, stands. You sense the barons’ hostility to this upstart bastard from Flanders, envious of the fact that you increasingly rely on his word and advice.
    “Lord King, though their lordships both have valid point to their strategies, I fear their plans will let the siege wear on too long. Even if we surprise them, there are still several weeks worth of supplies within the walls of the castle itself. I propose that we meet him on the open field.”
    There are murmurings of surprise through the hall.
    “How in the name of God do we bring him out into the open?” inquires a voice at the end of the hall.
    “We offer him gold,” says Ypres.
    There are shouts of surprise and anger.
    “Gold?” shouts Lord de Rougehavre. “We would be generous to offer him his life, never mind gold. Besides, every lordling throughout the country would rise up, seeing that they are to be rewarded with gold!”
    “May I be allowed to finish?” asks William acidly.
    The barons quieten down.
    “I do not suggest de Redvers be given gold. I suggest we entice him out of strong walls into the field. The gold should be used as a bait to lure him out and cut him down. I suggest we sent emissaries to him and offer him peace with a large amount of gold. He leaves the safety of Exeter with a large body of men, with only a few dozen men remaining in the castle. We pretend to have only a few soldiers at the meeting point and when Baldwin and his men turn up, we spring the trap. Our men swarm down from the hills and overwhelm the rebels. Meanwhile, our two hundred cavalrymen will sweep down on Exeter as it left unmanned. Seeing, their leader dead or captured, they castle will soon surrender. Then you will have a true victory that will show the Countess of Anjou’s supporters that you are a king who brooks no dissent.”
    The barons are silent this time as they all look as you and wait for your decision. You turn to your brother.
    “Do you have any proposals, dear brother?”
    “My liege, I am a mere humble churchman who has no opinions on the art of warfare.”
    It is your choice to make.

You must decide a plan to capture Exeter:
    1. Send 200 horsemen to sweep down on Exeter whilst de Redvers remains unawares.
    2. Slowly approach Exeter. It is safe and cautious but the siege will probably take quite a while.
    3. Lure Baldwin and his men out of Exeter with an offer of gold. Ambush him whilst 200 cavalry enter the city to capture it. It is a very daring plan which would pay great rewards should it succeed.
    www.thechap.net
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

#3 iT WOULD BE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOL

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

1. risky cant let the calvery be cut off
    2. slow we need to deal with this asap
    3. risk losing the trust of the nobles

I personly say a combanation of 1-3 a feinged calvery retreat to draw them in to the feild and posibly an ambush.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Sir Destroyer's choice would be the ideal. Even if the fake retreat fails to lure him out, it can be sold so that d'Ypre's plan can be executed as an alternative.

3 with faked retreat I say.

Lol cool Can i join in 2?
    id say 1 if i was feeling lucky,

But i would go for 3,
    he sounds like a greedy person And should well be enticed by money.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Nice story developing - in a period of English history that tends to be overlooked - for most of us we skip from Hastings and arrows in the eye to whipping the French in the 100 years war.

It has to be 3 doesn't it. If he comes, he is stuffed. If he doesn't then we move towards beseiging Exeter. I assume we have the advantage in horse so we can keep tabs on the upstart and the locals will not think too much of him due to the banditry so they will help on the intellegence front as well.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

I'm on an advantageous level in this one; read the "From The Norman Conquest To The Death Of John 1066 1216" volume of a well written, albeit pro-English, post Victorian History of England. It's (legally) available for free at...

GAH!!! They changed the website and it's no more available.

Here is the record anyway.

Idiots! I downloaded most of them already.

Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

I say 3 with the feigned retreat as well

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."

Sorry, only the first poster can make suggestions :p. Besides, I don't think Baldwin would pursue the cavalry and would mistrust any proposals by the King.

Fight at Miller’s Ford

You inform the barons that you shall undertake William of Ypres’ plan to play a game of deception with the rebellious Baldwin and that you will ambush him. The barons whisper murmurs of dissent as once again their King takes the advice of a foreign mercenary over the council of his own vassals.
    You rise from your chair.
    “That is my decision,” you tell them firmly.
    They fall quiet. No one will dispute the word of his sovereign. You sit back down again
    “So be it,” you say. “On the morrow I shall despatch envoys to de Redvers offering him clemency and gold and that he should meet me outside Exeter where we shall discuss terms. I will go personally, and be accompanied by only my bodyguard.
    Shouts of disapproval break out.
    “Your majesty,” implores a nobleman. “You cannot put yourself in such danger. The consequences of your imprisonment by a rebel would be disastrous! It would ruin the kingdom and plunge it into war! The realm would descend into anarchy!”
    “All the more reason why Baldwin will come personally with most of his men. He will simply be unable to resist the idea of me being his captive. Besides, since the plan is so hazardous, all the more reason for it to be well planned and executed. My lord Ypres, you may elaborate on your plan.”
    William of Ypres stands and begins speaking.
    “My lords, one of the chief advantages we have no is that de Redvers is currently unaware that we plan an attack against him. However, in order to maintain this secrecy and not arouse fear from Baldwin, our forces should be split up. My Lord de Rougehavre should command the cavalry, as he originally suggested.”
    De Rougehavre bows his head in acceptance.
    “My lord, your horsemen will leave for Bampton tomorrow evening. You will travel mostly at night, resting during the day and avoiding the major roads and towns if possible. My Lord de Roussy, how long will take two hundred cavalry to get to Bampton?”
    “About two days,” replies a man at the opposite end of the table, “travelling at night and keeping away from the main roads. But no more than three, of that I am certain.”
    “Three days, very well. I will command the main force of infantry. However, I will travel by ship up the coast. I will land up the river Exe at high tide during darkness. My scouts inform me that there is a small stream to the east of Exeter that runs into the Exe. The Honiton road fords it by a mill. Your majesty, I suggest you travel west to Honiton on that road and you should propose to meet de Redvers at this ford. Beside the road is a wooded hill. It is there that the infantry under my command shall hide and await the arrival of de Redvers, who will undoubtedly bring many of his men to secure your majesty’s capture. However I am informed that most of his soldiers are brigands and generally low lives, who are more suited to a knife in the back than facing real soldiers in the open. So if all goes well, your majesty will be in no danger what so ever, de Redvers will defeated and Exeter shall be freed.”
    This time, however, the hall remained silent.
    “Very well, it is decided,” you say. “Emissaries shall be sent tomorrow to de Redvers offering terms. I shall offer him his freedom, the castle of Bampton and one thousand pieces of gold.”
    There are gasps at this last piece of information.
    “A thousand pieces of gold!” cries the fat lord who favoured the cautious approach. “How will your majesty find such a sum at such short notice?”
    “Your lordship need not worry yourself about being taxed any further,” you reassure him. “We shall only take a saddle bag full of gold as a sample. The rest of the bags will be filled with anything that we have on hand: brass, silver, copper, tin, iron… anything which makes a satisfying clink.
    “On the day after tomorrow, Lord Ypres and his men will leave for their ships at Chesil Beach, and will sail to Sidmouth, where they shall remain anchored off shore where the ships will remain until the envoy return with a hopeful acceptance of terms. I shall press for a swift meeting, saying that I must return to London forthwith, offering him more gold if he meets me sooner rather than later. I shall go to Honiton, where I will remain until the emissaries return. Meanwhile, Lord de Rougehavre will ride to Bampton, where he too will wait for my order to attack. Is everything clear, my lords?”
    The barons slowly nod their heads in agreement.
    “If that is the case, I think the business of this council is concluded for tonight.”
    You rise from your seat and withdraw to your bedchamber.

It is a cold and misty April morning as you wait sitting on a felled tree trunk beside the stream at Miller’s Ford. So far the plan has been going successfully: the envoys which had despatched had returned with a promise from Baldwin that he would meet you at the ford, on condition that you come personally with a force of only twenty men and with the promised treasure. The “treasure” you have assembled in a wagon. However, only one red leather saddlebag is filled with the precious gold coins, the rest is a mixture of anything you could find. However, if all goes well, de Redvers will not be in a position to examine the other bags.
    Ypres’ men are, as planned, lying in wait at the wooded ridge beside the road. Although it took a few days to find enough ships to carry four hundred men with supplies and the winds were at first unfavourable, this was no matter in the end as the emissary was kept for three days before being allowed to return with the acceptance to your apparently generous proposals.
    Of Rougehavre’s cavalry, however, you have received no word apart from that they left Bampton last night. You hope that he will not attack prematurely when de Redvers is still in Exeter, or too late when the survivors from Baldwin’s ambushed forced will have been able to find refuge in the city and bar the gates.
    Rougehavre’s horsemen are mostly light cavalry and only comprise a score of knights, since the remainder you have kept in reserve in a wood about a mile west of the ford, to cut off de Redvers retreat.
    The morning wears on steadily and there is still no sign of de Redvers. Perhaps he has grown suspicious? Perhaps he has received word of a force of five score cavalry north of Exeter and he has marched out to attack? Or has he heard reports of a moonlit landing of armed men on the river?
    All these suppositions and hypotheses run through your head until you hear the hooves of horses in the distance. After a moment of fear that it is Rougehavre attacking Exeter too early, you see a score of horsemen cresting a hill and riding towards you, followed by many more. Soon over a hundred mounted soldiers appear before you, all armed to the teeth with spears, swords, axes, maces, daggers and even small wooden crossbows. As you suspected, you see that Baldwin had no intention of honouring the agreement.
    You hear shouts behind you. You turn and look across the stream. Horsemen also appear there, cutting your retreat.
    Then things go wrong. De Redvers’s band of some two hundred foot soldiers appears and begins to climb the hill where your own infantry are hiding. This was not part of the plan.
    You quietly order you men to dismount from their horses and close together to form a wall with their kite shields. Then you walk forward a few paces towards the main force of enemy horsemen.
    “Is Baldwin de Redvers among you?” you ask them.
    A mailed horseman spurs his steed forward and removes his helmet.
    “I am Lord Baldwin de Redvers,” he says in an arrogant voice.
    “It seems that either people have been telling you lies about the martial prowess of me and my bodyguard, or that your greatly care for my safety. If not, why so many men?”
    The rebel foot soldiers still climb the hill.
    “If you majesty,” Baldwin says the last two words with a sneer. “If your majesty comes with us now and puts down his weapons, no blood need be spilled this day. What is your answer?”
    “No, I don’t think I shall,” you say simply and turn around to join your bodyguard.
    The enemy soldiers reach the top of the hill and enter the tree line. After a few moments, you hear shouts of surprise and anger. The noise of steel on steel soon follows.
    “Betrayed!” cries de Redvers and launches his horse down the slope towards your men. His own cavalry soon follow him.
    You run back to you knights, draw your sword, lock your shield against theirs and form a tight circle as the horsemen to your rear splash across the stream and slam into your shields.
    It is a close, tight and bloody fight as crouch behind your shield, deflecting the blows of sword and axe and waiting for an opportunity to thrust your sword into the exposed breasts and thighs of the enemies.
    Your men fight bravely, but the sheer number of rebels threatens to crush the small bodyguard. You glance up the hill for a moment but see no sign of your infantry appearing from their own fight among the trees.
    All around you men fall, mostly enemies, but an increasing number of your own men. If Ypres’ men do not come quickly, you will be engulfed and possibly killed. Something must be done soon.
    Then you hear the sound of a horn. On the place that Baldwin’s men occupied stands the knights you had kept behind to cut off de Redvers retreat.
    Packed tightly together, shield edge to shield edge, knee to knee and with their lances couched under their armpits and pointed downwards, they make an organised, concerted charge.
    Though outnumbered by Baldwin’s men, they smash into the unprepared rear ranks of the enemy horsemen, cutting down all in their way in an attempt to free their king.
    Another horn sounds and your footsoldiers appear from the trees and charge down the hill.
    It is only a few moments before the rebels turn and flee the field, leaving all their wounded behind who are soon mercilessly butchered by your own men. Your knights turn and pursue the defeated rebels. However, the latter’s horses are fresher and lighter and easily out run your heavy and tired mounts.
    You stagger out from your group of exhausted bodyguards with your sword covered in blood. William of Ypres and your brother appear, his clergyman’s clothes unstained by any blood. Ypres dismounts.
    “My lord, are you all right?” he asks you.
    “Yes, I am. By God, for a moment I thought I would die.”
    “I am deeply sorry, my liege. The enemy soldiers fought hard and bravely against our infantry.”
    “Never mind. We must ride for Exeter forthwith.”

The sight of Exeter stopped you in your tracks. Inside the red sandstone walls, smoke billowed up into the air in several places, especially around the castle. You cursed. Couldn’t Rougehavre control his men? He was supposed to free the citizens from the tyranny of de Redvers and his bandits, not burn their homes and loot the city. You spur you horse on to the city.
    You enter the city by its main gate, the heavy doors surprisingly swung open. As you progress through the streets, you see no sign of Rougehavre’s cavalry, only the corpses of de Redvers men hacked to pieces. However, you see more and more citizens, many of them armed. When they see you and your royal device painted on your dented shield, they begin to cheer.
    As you approach the castle, you suddenly realise what has happened: the citizens of Exeter, seeing their occupiers, beaten and retreating, rose up against them and attacked them in the streets as the rebels desperately tried to reach the safety of the castle. The fires were probably started by accident, as often happened during riots.
    You arrive in front of the red castle walls and observe the situation before you. Two ladders lean against the wall, up which climb a mixed force of citizens and knights who were sent to pursue Baldwin. Of Rougehavre and his men there was no sign.
    You turn towards the Flemish mercenaries following up behind you.
    “Well, what are you waiting for?” you call out to them. “We have a castle to take!”
    You dismount from your horse, draw your still bloodied sword and order some of the townsfolk watching the assault to gather some ladders and rest them against the wall. This done, you give a great cry and lead the mercenaries up the rungs.
    When you reach the top, you thrust your sword into a rebel’s bowels and jump onto the battlements, followed by several Flemings. After a few minutes fighting, you clear your part of the battlements and attack the remaining rebels. Seeing this new onslaught of well armoured men, the rebels soon crumble and flee for their last refuge: the keep.
    You climb down from the walls and order your men to pull of the crossbar and open the gates. A horde of foot soldiers and townspeople swarm through the gates and launch themselves against the keep. Many of the citizens carry axes, and hack open the bolted door. Then follows the awful carnage of taking a keep by storm: tight, bloody fights in corridors and up stairways. In one bedchamber you find several women and children and order some mercenaries to guard them from vengeful citizens. Finally, you reach the rooftop, and ask for your banner to be brought up. You pick up Baldwin’s flag, with you throw of the keep and replace it with your own. Your men and the townsfolk give a great cheer. The rebellion is suppressed and Exeter is once again yours.

Baldwin is found hiding under a table in the great hall and delivered before you bound in chains. You are asked to pass judgement on the defeated rebel.
    “Noble king,” says one of the townsfolk. “This man has usurped your majesty’s power and committed acts of murder and robbery against your majesty’s subjects. We ask that justice be done; we ask that this man be executed. His death would serve as an example to others that your majesty is not someone to be defied. ”
    Henry leans towards you and speaks softly in your ear. “Dear brother, perhaps you should follow Christ’s teachings and show a little mercy to this rebel. A cell in some remote castle would remove him from any trouble and your soul would remain unblemished before the Almighty. Imprisonment would be a suitable punishment for de Redvers.”
    A woman bursts out of the keep and runs towards the place where you are seated. Her feet are bare and her hair is unbound. She flings herself at your feet.
    “Most gracious sovereign,” she pleads. “Please, I beg for you mercy on my husband’s soul. He is defeated now; he no longer poses any danger. I ask only that your majesty may spare his life and have pity on my children and me. I beg that he be sent into exile.”
    At this the wretched woman bursts into tears and is dragged away by your soldiers.
    Then there is the question of the forty remaining rebels who have been fortunate enough not be killed immediately. The townsfolk once again favour their execution, but William of Ypres asks for their forgiveness.
    “My lord, they no longer pose a threat and to kill them would be cruel and tyrannical. Your majesty does not want to lose the love of your subjects in such a fashion.”
    It begins to thunder and the dark clouds discharge their heavy load of rain.
    “I shall give my verdict tomorrow,” you say.

That evening, a banquet is given in your honour at the Guild Hall, where the richest and most prominent burghers toast your health.
    However, there are certain issues to be resolved.
    A richly dressed merchant approaches you.
    “My liege, there is a certain concern over the disposal of the funds which you have taken back from de Redvers. Much of it is from the taxes that he most maliciously extracted from many of the burghers here, including myself. If your majesty would return these moneys to us, I and many other merchants would be most grateful.”
    “But are there not many of my subjects around here who are now homeless, with their land pillaged and their purses stolen?” you ask. “Does Christ not ask that we feed and clothe the poor and the helpless?”
    “Yes, but…”
    “I shall think on it,” you reply curtly.
    The merchant slinks away like a whipped dog.
    Your brother walks towards you and whispers in your ear.
    “Stephen, as you perhaps now, the royal treasury has dwindled much since your accession to the throne. The gold seized would do much to replenish it and pay the mercenaries you have hired for this expedition.”
    You repeat that you will consider the proposals and pour some more wine.
    It is then that someone bursts into the hall. He is clad in mail and his drenched cloak clings to his body.
    “My lord de Rougehavre,” you say with a hint of astonishment. “We were awaiting you this morning. Fortunately the good people of Exeter were able to complete your task, and very effectively I might add. May I enquire where you were?”
    It is a few seconds before he speaks.
    “We got lost,” he says angrily.
    “Lost?”
    “We followed the wrong star when we left Bampton. By morning we ended up many miles to the west of Exeter.”
    You bite your lip to prevent yourself from smiling.
    “It seems you may need to be taught a few things about stars from sailors, my lord. Anyway, there is good wine and some fine beef here, if you are hungry.”
    “However, my liege, there is further news. My brother-in-law, Lord Gilbert fitz Gilbert of Clare, wishes to inform you that his forces have met defeat against the Welsh and that the situation is becoming grave. I also heard that the Scots press further into your majesty’s realm, while I have just learned from a ship’s captain fresh in from Normandy that Geoffrey of Anjou has broken his truce and reached as far as Touques. All regions request your majesty’s attention immediately.”
    Once again, there are many decisions to be made.

A: the fate of Baldwin de Redvers.
    1. Execute him.
    2. Imprison him.
    3. Exile him

B: the fate of the rebel prisoners.
    1. Execution.
    2. Pardon.

C: the disposal of the captured funds.
    1. Give it back to the burghers. They would be vary grateful and might be willing to lend you money in the future.
    2. Give it to the worst victims of the rebellion. It would gain you the support of the common citizenry of Exeter.
    3. Add it to the Royal Treasury, which is in bad need of funds and the mercenaries need paying

D: your next move.
    1. Against the Welsh. It would bring badly needed support for Gilbert of Clare.
    2. Against the Scots. A victory against them would pacify this front for many years.
    3. Sail for Normandy. Defeating Geoffrey of Anjou would negate Matilda’s chance of raising support in England.
    Note: for D you can choose to go personally to one region, and sending somebody else to another region to act as your deputy. You can also send reinforcements instead of going in person.
    www.thechap.net

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Execute Baldwin... This will make the citizens happy.

Pardon the rebels... This will show that you are a kind ruler, yet firm (see A).

Return the money to the burghers... Money are always valuable, and rich merchants always rub off on the citizens. Strong economy will help you get taxes later (see D).

Personally see to it that the Welsh are crushed. Send Ypres to stop Geoffrey, or at least oppose him long enough for you to come and end it. You need to stop what appears to be a strong Welsh incursion. The Welsh border is richer than the Scottish border and is much closer than Normandy, besides the castles up north are much stronger, they will last longer and the local nobles are stronger than those near the Welsh border. If you defeat the Welsh you might very well gain some money as well as new, cheap and quite good troops (Welsh longbowmen).
    Sending Ypres to Normandy will do a lot to ease the nobles (if he is not around he will not be able to influence you) while his keen intellect will go a long way to oppose Geoffrey, win/win scenario. Later you can deal with Geoffrey.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

A.1
    B.2
    c.1
    d. same as kraxis
    When excuting baldwin make a point that it isn't just his rebellion that he is being killed for but the mistreatment of the commen people. With this it will show that you care about the common people in place of the gold.
    -Stephen Crane

As usual Kraxis is on the money. The only thing I might add would be that I would send De Rougehavre with Ypres - his getting lost sounds a bit too convienent so removing him from the centre of the action would deminish his influence.

Finally - congratulations on the narrative - I read the last episode not knowing what would happen - truely exciting and it caught the feeling of the time excellently.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"

Lightbulb Re: Alternate history: the Anarchy of King Stephen.

Although only the first poster can make decisions, I can't keep my mouth shut, so here you go:

A ― 1. Execute him the Tudor way as I wrote in the first reply, although it doesn't fit in the feudal Norman etiquette. That would make a good example. (+2 dread. )

B​ ― 1. Hang them. The commoners should also know the price of teaming with the wrong side.

C ― 2 & 1. A small amount to cover the most urgent expenses for the most affected and the rest to the bourgeois. Buy the support of both the commons and the gentry. The improved economy and taxes will repay it in the future.

D ― Rush to Wales and send d'Ypres on to Normandie.

I'm unsure of what to do with de Rougehavre. Keeping him at hand might be better, at the cost of letting his influence at home be, than sending him away, which bears the risk of him switch sides and join the Angevines.
    Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 12-01-2005 at 15:15.

Dont attack the welsh u swines :( Were just a lowly rabble of bandits,
    Leave us alone
    I dont like this story now. :)

Although Great naration has to be admitted,
    as stated above

A: the fate of Baldwin de Redvers.
    1. Execute him.

Rebel ring leaders should Always be delt with In this manner.

B: the fate of the rebel prisoners.
    2. Pardon.

showin compasion towards these men who were following orders may earn us their loyalty

C: the disposal of the captured funds.
    3. Add it to the Royal Treasury, which is in bad need of funds and the mercenaries need paying

If the mercenarys dont get payed then our forces will shurley become depleted.

D: your next move.
    2.Send Ypres and Rougehavre..."can i do that?" Against the Scots. A victory against them would pacify this front for many years.

So no need to attack poor old wales (my biast towards wales is probably clouding my judgment)

3. set Sail for Normandy your self. Defeating Geoffrey of Anjou would negate Matilda’s chance of raising support in England.

I feel we need to Crush this threat before it becomes a real problem.
    Also by going there in person our presence In normandy, will Surley cause rebelious talk to dwindle.
    Last edited by Just A Girl; 12-01-2005 at 20:47.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Nahhh... Burn Wales!

Concerning De Rougehavre I agree that he is either incompetent or against us. But sending him away might only make it worse. Given the resentment towards Ypres might given him the chance he wants. Kill Ypres and gain popularity of the nobles, settle with Geoffrey and now support Matilda. Great...

Remember the saying "keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer". This is a case where it fits.

If he is just incompetent he might destroy what chances Ypres has of handling the situation. If he is close to you he can serve as a nice bodyguard or a reserve. His strength in melee should not be ignored, and we need to play towards our strengths and in this case it would be that.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

A1, B1, C2, D1

My liege,

Should your highness fail to provide us with the continuation of the story, we humble servants shall become determined to look to our own needs in our wicked way.

No, no I'm still writing, don't worry. Just looking for a Welsh castle...
    And I have been quite busy today.
    www.thechap.net

Not wales !.... Our castles Suck, Youd be hard pushed to call them a Tower compared to the english castles, GAH,
    I hate history Even when i could have had a say in it the welsh get it :(
    Last edited by Just A Girl; 12-04-2005 at 23:30.

you touch Wales I break you Henry You Anglo-Saxon Honkey

Nothing wrong with bashing Wales - it's what we did for most of the Middle Ages - sort of a training camp to get to match fitness for stuffing the French over and over again. So come on Stephen, lure those men of the valleys into an ambush with some particuarly attractive sheep, then we can get on with the real job of beating the French.

Some might say I have been influenced by all those defeats on the rugby pitch in the 1970's and 80's us englishmen had to endure, but I say not!!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast