Think this game engine is great.Its the best
    ever...
    There sitting on a gold mine here..
    Vikings Total Bloodshed.
    Roman Legions Total Carnage..
    ECT..ECT..
    Im real new here so plz spare me ..
    lol..
    Maybe this has been thought of but didnt want to read back in all the post..
    Thx reply plz would like to here more Ideas..
    HP....

Yes, the engine is nice and the interface is elegant. But, the formations and unit control are difficult. Just try to march your mass of troops in formation around a flank. It can't be done without a lot of micro-management. They will spread out and arrive piece-meal due to the default following distances and differing unit speeds. The stock formations suck as well. Until we are able to specify user-made formations, reduce following distances, march at one speed and be able to execute wheel, rotate and change face commands, this game engine ain’t goin’ nowhere.

I think most of us expect a Roman title to be next. It isn't official though.

The battle engine is so great that it should continue to get refined and improved for a good long time. Unless CA loses their minds we should be in for a lot of great games in the future. I think it can be adapted all the way into the early 19th century.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

I've just (after something like 4 months playing) worked out how to wheel and change the facing of formations of units using the 'group' button - before then I was doing that whole 'micro-management' thang re-positioning my units individually! Eechh.... - try it out Jackson (for some reason they forgot to put this rather VITAL bit of info in the manual...).

As for different marching speeds etc.. - yeh, this can be a pain, with units lagging miles behind because they won't start marching until they're free of other units - but think of it this way - I doubt most warriors of the day were so drilled that they could wheel in formation like they can in the game anyway(my ashi's do better than I've seen on 'trooping the colour' at buckingham palace!), so in some respects the confusion that happens when you turn a formation is prob's quite reasonable.

Kyodaispan
    All Honour to the Brothers!

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

Steeleye..Yes, it would be interesting to learn what the level of training actually was
    in Japan. Wheeling and other complicated maneuvers may not have been used at all. I expect it was more like the English cavalry charge...just get there fast, forget about that order bunk.

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Jackson,
    Yes, movement can be tough, but it takes soe getting used to. But many of the problems you named are easily solved. For instance, troops arriving at their destination at different times due to troop speed. The way to fix that, once you have your troops in the formation you want them in, select all troops (ctrl+a)then group them. now send them were you want them to go and they stay in the exact formaation you placed them in. This is also very useful if you need to march through a forest. If they aren't grouped, your troops will try to go around the forest, causing them to be split up and disorgaanized. if you group them, they stay in formation and go right through the forest.

Also, if you want your unit or group to move somewhere and face the same direction/stay in the same formation when they arive, hold your alt button and then click the destination. If you want your unit/group to face a new direction but stay in the same formation, hold your alt button and right click the direction you want them to face.

Yes, the unit movement is tricky, and definatly isnt like most game interfaces, but play around with it, especially in online battles, and pretty soon you'll have your formations tight and your army under control. being able to control your army is one of the main key's to success.

FearedSangsara
    .....F..E..A..R..F..U..L.........FearedSangsara..........W..A..Y..S...

In keeping with the Dickensian title of the thread.....

"Sodom and Gomorrah"...A Tale of Two Cities

"Bobbed Manx and Braided Persian"...Tails of two kitties

"Mel Gibson's and Sophia Loren's derriere"...The Tails of Two pretties

"My Grandmother's and Great Aunt's phone bill"....The Mail of Two Biddies

(I could go on, but who could bear it? lol)

------------------

Yes, Dickensian title if Vince McMahon bought the rights....

Who's Vince McMahon? The Scotsman who wrote under the pseudonym, Charles Dickens?

(Oops, sorry, this should be in the Rant against Scotland thread. hehe)

------------------

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

Actually he is teh idiot american behind WWF and XFL.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon
    DP is correct - Shiro

XFL is his idea?
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

I just hope this fact never makes it over to the OT threads, we'll never be able to live this down

The XFL, eh? You're intimating that it's not good? That's our version of 'Masterpiece Theater'!

------------------

Heheheh, its too late, you’ll note it was me that mentioned the man in first place. I’m just biding my time folks. I know not to play all my aces at once. I know about XFL. You’re all doomed!!!

That said, do you do think Tiny Tim could do a double slam with pike on Governer Ventura. Lol. Hang your heads

Great tips from Steeleye and FearedSangsara. I will try some of these grouped movements, and then un-group once I've reached my destination. In fact, I'm going to print their posts and try them when I get home tonight. There seem to be a lot of undocumented command combinations.

"Great tips from Steeleye and FearedSangsara"

Just one thing about the latter. Going through a forest is very tiring. It might be better to let your troops go round...