Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you percieve Romania?

Gentis Daciae Member Cronos Impera's Avatar

Default How do you percieve Romania?

Vanilla RTW ( original RTW ), Medieval TW and Viking Invasion portray Romania as a rebel faction or a generic barbarian one. People associate Romania with poverty, Nadia Comaneci, Gheorghe Hagi ( sport ), or sometimes hear BBC news about the visit of president Traian Basescu in France.
    What is the historical image of Romania you have in mind when it comes to the Medieval Period, the Enlightement Age and the Modern Age? And btw, what do you think about the Romanian language.
    Craciun Fericit tuturor = Marry Christmas to you fans
    " If you don't want me, I want you! Alexandru Lapusneanul"
    "They are a stupid mob, but neverless they are a mob! Alexandru Lapusneanul"

Default Re: How do you percieve Romania?

IIRC, during the Middle Ages, Romania was the name of the Byzantine Empire. Not entirely certain of it, but I think one of my professors mentioned something along those lines.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Nadia Comaneci all the way!
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Interesting... the Byzantines didn't call themselves Byzantines? I guess calling themselves Romania actually makes sense. (Assuming this is serious, it's hard to tell with all the spam posts lately) ;)

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : How do you percieve Romania?

My knowledge about ancient Romania is quite limited. I've heard of the Dacians, of Vlad Tepes and that's about it.
    Didn't even know your president visited France

As for the Romanian language, I've been told it's quite similar to latin languages, like spanish, italian, and french (although the sentence you posted would make me think otherwise)

Quote Originally Posted by Keba
    IIRC, during the Middle Ages, Romania was the name of the Byzantine Empire. Not entirely certain of it, but I think one of my professors mentioned something along those lines.

No, the heart of the eastern roman empire (greeks) called themselfs Romaioi which simply ment Romans in greek. The greeks did this because after the rise of christianity the term Hellenes (what greeks traditionally called themslefs) became taboo for its association with paganism.

Default AW: Re : How do you percieve Romania?

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    (although the sentence you posted would make me think otherwise)
    Acctualy Romanian as far as i know is the closest modern language to ancient latin.

I don't know about 'closest', but it is a Romance Language, one of the 'big five'.

COLLABORATORS

AXIS SCUM

etc. etc.

Oh, and Ceaucescus wife and her massive collection of shoes.
    And in the near future: the proud recipient of a lot of my tax money.

(but hey: nothin' but love)
    Last edited by Jebus; 12-16-2005 at 22:52.
    Je ne vois qu'infini par toutes les fenêtres.

Charles Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jebus
    COLLABORATORS

AXIS SCUM

etc. etc.

Oh, and Ceaucescus wife and her massive collection of shoes.
    And in the near future: the proud recipient of a lot of my tax money.

(but hey: nothin' but love)
    LOL
    well if blair doesn't want to pay a thing someone has too

really I don't know much about Romnia except for their orphanages wich are told to be quite well lets just say it doesn't seem the nicest place to be.
    I could be wrong tough.

But hey we've beaten the swiss Jebus, now we're the second richest country in the world. and if it wasn't for Wallony we might have been verry close to the USA (or richer).
    so we'll probably be more used to luxe.

Years ago, when I was still in high school, our family had this cute little Romanian girl 'adopted'. We would send her family money for education, clothing, etc. - and she would come to Belgium for a month from time to time.
    She stopped coming when she reached puberty, last thing I heard she got into prostitution and died from a drug overdose, age 16.

Sad stories, sad stories.

Come, and share in that christmas feeling.
    Je ne vois qu'infini par toutes les fenêtres.

Charles Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Marinakis
    No, the heart of the eastern roman empire (greeks) called themselfs Romaioi which simply ment Romans in greek.
    The Greeks never called themselves "Romaioi".. maybe what you mean is that they did use the term "Rome-ee" - Ρωμιοι and also "Graek-ee" -Γραικοι..

O Stratigos

Exitus acta probat.

Default AW: Re: How do you percieve Romania?

Quote Originally Posted by NeonGod
    I don't know about 'closest', but it is a Romance Language, one of the 'big five'.
    Thats just what my latin teacher told me all those years ago.

The only things about Romania I know is, that there is a city founded by germans called Siebenbuergen (somewhere in the near of Transilvania.... ) where my grandfather was born.

All that I know about Romania is its geographical location, its capital is Bucharest, it was an axis nation during WWII, and it was a Soviet satellite. I also would think of Vlad the Impaler, but he was prince of Wallachia, before Romania was unified or something. Once I ate at a Romanian restaurant called "Little Bucharest". I had chicken. It was pretty good chicken, too.

Why are you asking?
    Last edited by tk-421; 12-17-2005 at 02:38.

Visit the EB Help Required Thread

"His only addiction was to practice." - John Coltrane, describing Eric Dolphy

"and thus it cannot be performed, because one cannot perform that which does not exist." - Arnold Schönberg

Default AW: Re: How do you percieve Romania?

Because hes Romanian

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny
    The only things about Romania I know is, that there is a city founded by germans called Siebenbuergen (somewhere in the near of Transilvania.... ) where my grandfather was born.
    Well, Siebenburgen is actually the german equivalent of Transylvania:)

And I know something about Romania, because I live in one of its neighbour countries, in Hungary

According to my history teacher, the Romanians have illirian origin, and not dacian, simply because the dacians werent under roman command long enough to get romanized (to get the latin language).

Jadam

Jadam, your history teacher's excuse sounds a little flimsy.

History teachers can tell very weird things, my teacher was pretty sure that aztecs were no indians for example. Not to mention my English teacher telling us that the scots north of hadrians wall all wore Bear Furs and didnt wash themselves.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Actually Albanian is much closer to latin then any other language I've come across, even Italian.

Quote Originally Posted by Salazar
    History teachers can tell very weird things, my teacher was pretty sure that aztecs were no indians for example. Not to mention my English teacher telling us that the scots north of hadrians wall all wore Bear Furs and didnt wash themselves.
    Well, this isnt weird thing. There is a discussion amongst historians about this theory. Some believes the daco - romanian descent, some dont. However, if you think over it, Dacia was conquered during Traian (around 100 AD or so), and I dont know exactly when was it lost (from the roman control), but it couldn't be more than 200-300 years. Do you think, it is enough for a barbarian people to change their language to latin? Well, many historians thinks, it isnt.

Jadam

I don't know if that's enough, and i didnt criticize your history teacher
    I just wanted to stress the fact that History teachers aren't the all knowing Gods of history. Too many People blindly trust what they are told in school, again i don't mean you

I know that the romanians fought a brilliant war against the turks after the fall of Byzantium.

I know it is a lush land, very fertile with a rich wild fauna and tremendous natural ressources.

I know the language is very musical and nice to hear.

I know Romania had a very "troubled" history with very dark periods, i also know it has been a byzantine "satellite" state at moments.

I worked with a romanian woman in a lycée (the school before university in France) has an education auxiliary in a Z.E.P. (zone d'éducation prioritaire, high priority education zone) and she was mad, the kids called her "the dragon" but she was damn effective in her work. She always kept on saying "i survived Ceaucescu, i won't let brats tell me what i have to do." They quite learned not to fool with us.. little bastards

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

What I know about Romania:
    1. It's a country, probably somewhere in Europe.
    2. My old superintendent Mike was Romanian.
    3. I liked Mike, he was a cool guy.
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Arbeit macht fleisch Member ScionTheWorm's Avatar

I know they are awesome musicians, they never disappoint in european Melody Grand Prix

VOXIFEX MAXIMVS Member Shigawire's Avatar

I haven't made up any opinion on Romania that matters, since I've never been there or studied it much.

My only associations are not very nice things. :
    The gruesome Triballi (Thracian tribe), Vlad Tepes, Ceaucescou hanging himself, Vlad Tepes again..

Also that 23 year old nun who was crucified in an excorcism in June 2005.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4107524.stm

I can't really make an opinion based on the historic associations. The balkan region (does that include Hungary?) has had a history of spawning monsters of one or another kind.. Triballi, Vlad, Erszebeth Bathory, the henchmen of Milosevic, etc..

The only thing I feel I can make an opinion about is the exorcism story, which surprised me a lot. We rarely see anything approaching that in any other european country. It's like Romanians have their own amish subgroup who still live in the 16th century or something.

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

Quote Originally Posted by Salazar
    I had an english teacher with some pretty goofy ideas about history. She seemed to think that World War II happened in the 1960's and World War I happened in the 1940's. It wasn't just history, it was literature too. She once said that Odysseus's wife's name was Prudence. I told her that Odysseus's wife's name was Penelope, but she wouldn't believe me.

Visit the EB Help Required Thread

"His only addiction was to practice." - John Coltrane, describing Eric Dolphy

"and thus it cannot be performed, because one cannot perform that which does not exist." - Arnold Schönberg

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tk-421
    I had an english teacher with some pretty goofy ideas about history. She seemed to think that World War II happened in the 1960's and World War I happened in the 1940's. It wasn't just history, it was literature too. She once said that Odysseus's wife's name was Prudence. I told her that Odysseus's wife's name was Penelope, but she wouldn't believe me.

...Wha?

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

doh! Someone already said what I wanted to say before I said it but I said it before I realized they said it so I had said it and now I have edited what I said and I have to say this really confusing line to clear everything up.

Last edited by fallen851; 12-18-2005 at 10:01.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Quote Originally Posted by tk-421
    I know what you mean
    My literature teacher has a completely unique view about history
    That's why I can't stand the literature lessons, and of course, because they are very boring for me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast