Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A modder's guide to CTDs

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Default Re: A modder's guide to CTDs

Think I invented new bug - or at least one I hadn't noticed mentioned before - if you give experience upgrade to ships when higher level port is built, and have said ships in recruitment crew on turn that higher port is built it ctd's.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

Makanyane,

I just tested it and you are right: now isn't that a strange thing? (the CTD, not you being right)

I wonder why it does that? I have land units recruitable with XP from ports and the CTD did not occur for them.

Hmmm..nice one - I will remove the few instances we have pending a solution. This may have just squashed one of those few and *very* rare CTDs in FE...

Thx! ;)
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

Hmmm, thought it could be to do with admirals being generated but same doesn't happen with general-units, which is only equivalent I could think of.

Just to make it aggravating to fix, if you change experience values in EDB, then it can break save game for player that didn't have problem before (because they weren't building port at same time). Changing the experience value for a ship in EDB will stop save game loading if that ship was in players recruitment queue.

Not sure if AI can actually trigger problem or not - not quite sure how exactly AI does recruitment but they at least never seem to have queued units as far as I've seen.
    Download the:

I hope FE players know by now that no patch is guaranteed as save-game compatible and, further, that no support will be given to errors/CTDs that are likely to have been caused by starting a campaign under a later version to the one currently patched.

Moan over ;)

I have not got a clue what would cause it - but as our EDB file only contained one offending line then I'm not too bothered. Fortunately our 2 uber port upgrades/add-ons are not actually port buildings so it would not be a problem - at least, I would not think so!

I'm having some odd CTD's they are when the game loads, I think they are either coming from descr_strat, or e_d_anc, e_d_c_trai, e_d_build, e_d_units files.

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with this, I'm pretty sure traits, and ancil files are ok, units file should be too, but I'm not 100% on strat and buildings files...

Either I've run up against some odd game limit not previously found, or something....???

Meop79

That's a broad range of files!

Just reverse your last change to see what is cuasing the CTD - you did test after each change I hope?

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

Also what if any errors did you get with -show_err?

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Dol Guldur
    That's a broad range of files!

Just reverse your last change to see what is cuasing the CTD - you did test after each change I hope?
    Not originally, they were basic changes I'd done before but I went back through and the problem is in the units file.

Which is odd.... I didn't do anything strange or unusual to that file, I simply edited some unit parameters and it is causing CTD's on initial game load with no error messages.

Meop79

not sure if this was mentioned.

I took a culture out of descr_sm_factions.txt, mainly for the reasons that I didn't need it.

It seems you need a faction with the Egyptian culture(one I took out, may be for more cultures), or it will CTD with a message about descr_building_battle, because as soon as I gave the slave faction Egyptian culture, it worked perfectly.

How wierd

I will test more cultures later.

It seems you need a faction with the Egyptian culture(one I took out, may be for more cultures), or it will CTD with a message about descr_building_battle, because as soon as I gave the slave faction Egyptian culture, it worked perfectly.
    It has done that to me too in BI when I took hun culture out of sm_factions, lines it was objecting to in descr_building_battle where ones like
    ##barb_log_wall.tga
    {
    roman ##roman_log_wall.tga
    hun ##roman_log_wall.tga
    eastern ##eastern_log_wall.tga
    nomad ##eastern_log_wall.tga
    I found taking the lines out for the affected culture fixed problem - as far as I remember that was only file it was funny about. Would be curious if you find same sort of fix works in RTW?
    Download the:

I am sure taking the lines out would work. I wish I had thought of that. hehe.

At least for future reference it was taking the culture out of descr_sm_factions that caused it.

I think I have the error that caused the CTD now. I edited the units file and I changed the mount effect to a positive without adding a plus simply deleating the minus symbol in a case or two on accident.

Meop79

Campaigns will CTD on load if you designate a wrong gender to a name in the character record of the descr_strat.file...

A good way to debug the DS file is to use invalid co-ords for characters or non-existent unit names for armies to see how far along the file is being parsed. These 2 errors will be reported by show_err unlike the above and names.txt/descr_names.txt-related errors.

Is someone still compiling these? I cannot edit the first post.

Anyone any insight as to what might cause a loaded campaign to crash hard and immediately on clicking the end-turn button? I cannot find any city revolt issues nor an building contruction issues...just thought someone might know what it is likely to be if it is immediate.

DG, doubt it would be something you missed but I did just accidentally find silly one that does that. Having factions in sm_factions with shadowing / shadowed relationship and only putting one of them in descr_strat ( oops, forgot I'd been experimenting with sm_factions)
    Download the:

No, it's not that ;)

I have a new map and I wonder if it is related to that? Are there map TGA errors that would generate and load the map.rwm in-game but then fail on the first end turn?

Got it...

Having starting action points too high in descr_character.txt will cause an immediate CTD on clicking the end-turn button at the end of the first turn. I had it on 300 for testing purposes. The early 100s are fine but I've not tested much over that.

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

Quote Originally Posted by Makanyane
    DG, doubt it would be something you missed but I did just accidentally find silly one that does that. Having factions in sm_factions with shadowing / shadowed relationship and only putting one of them in descr_strat ( oops, forgot I'd been experimenting with sm_factions)
    Ok, i've been also experimenting a little bit with this kind of things.

It seems to me that spaws_on_revolt and shadowing factions are only possible with "clon" factions. I did it succesfully with julii and senate in ITW (two factions with exactly the same units), but with any other pair of factions the revolt of a settlement led to immediate CTD.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkwarrior
    Ok, i've been also experimenting a little bit with this kind of things.

It seems to me that spawns_on_revolt and shadowing factions are only possible with "clone" factions. I did it successfully with julii and senate in ITW (two factions with exactly the same units), but with any other pair of factions the revolt of a settlement led to immediate CTD.
    That doesn't tie up with what I found, my experiment that I forgot to undo was two EoD factions (in BI) with completely different units set as shadowing, they revolted to each other fine, they were same culture though in-case that makes a difference. (Crash only happened because I'd forgotten sm_factions when I tidied descr_strat and removed the shadowing factions entry) Am curious if you might have found variation on the revolt CTD when recruitment buildings are not present? I haven't looked closely enough at what gets generated for shadow army though but it could relate to that if mod has faction specific barracks etc..?

DG: I think that's lesson to both of us - 'when making map don't experiment on other files at same time.'
    Download the:

hehe...yep.

You two did take loyalty into account when shadowing? I shall be retesting it again soon anyway.

@Makanyane
    I always tried factions of the same culture and with the same buiding system, hence I don't think this is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dol Guldur
    hehe...yep.

You two did take loyalty into account when shadowing? I shall be retesting it again soon anyway.

Shadowing works in ITW (RTW 1.5) with roman factions, with no modification at all of the loyalty system.

Is loyalty present in RTW 1.5? If so, it is probably included only for roman culture isn't it?

In any case I would like to restrict the shadowing to certain regions, but it seems to me that it's impossible.
    I will simulate this question with rebel units.

Shadowing works in ITW (RTW 1.5) with roman factions, with no modification at all of the loyalty system.
    I did not know that. I thought loyalty was necessary. We were having some problems about a year ago and this was the only factor we had not considered and so thought the CTds were connected to it. But we've not had a need to test it since then.

In any case, I don't understand the advantage of the shadowing system. Only in case of simulating a civil war.

In ITW 1.5, when romans conquered some settlements to the "thrace" faction, as they were far from the "metropolis", loyalty was very low and rebellion in the next turn gave not slave but "thrace" units. Which is then the difference with the shadowing system? I feel that the normal method is much accurate to represent real revolts.

From first post:
    Scrolling over campaign map:
    - Not enough province/settlements on a too large map (fix : add provinces on the map/may be fixed with BI) causes CTD while scrolling the map.
    - Error with the rebel faction/settlement owner and or creator (when you scroll over a given settlement)
    - Some hidden resources can cause CTDs when you scroll over the region.
    Don't think was mentioned specifically as point 2 there I think refers to regions file, but placing slave army that is sub_faction of a faction that isn't in descr_strat.txt causes CTD on scroll over.

(probably predictable that one and yes, I am having a bad day )
    Download the:

RTW Loading CTD´s

Faction owner of an unit is not defined at edu file

Quote Originally Posted by Makanyane
    Don't think was mentioned specifically as point 2 there I think refers to regions file, but placing slave army that is sub_faction of a faction that isn't in descr_strat.txt causes CTD on scroll over.

(probably predictable that one and yes, I am having a bad day )
    Not so predictable.
    I found it by my own, but depending on the configuration of the mod you can solve it by putting the faction as "emergent by event" and non-playable in descr_strat and also in descr_sm_faction. Of course, that even doesn't exist.

Another one for the strange and irritating list:
    descr_names.txt can only share the same list of names between 2 factions,
    faction: lombardi, slavs
    works but trying:
    faction: lombardi, slavs, goths
    to use same set for three factions results in errorless CTD if you try and use names for the third faction in descr_strat. Can obviously be got round by just copying the names section down and using for 1 or 2 factions at a time, but might be worth knowing if you're wondering why camp. map won't load and you fiddled with the names file....
    Download the:

does order come in account there Makanyane??

I mean looking at it I could understand the order;
    lombardi, slavs, goths
    crash

where;
    goths, lombardi, slavs
    might not ..

G

It seemed to be just ignoring the third one whichever I made the third. When I've assigned the same set of names to two factions I haven't taken any notice of which order they were in. It shouldn't go on alphabetical listing anyway, only thing it could want to follow is the sm_factions order, but I've been re-arranging that anyway to get faction icons in right place in menus.

btw that reminds me - changing order of factions in descr_sm_factions and not deleting map.rwm causes 'random' CTD in campaign about half dozen turns in
    Download the:

ok, that sets you back on the first place of finding weird bugs ... :D

edit;
    found an other fun thing;

when you edit EDU and remove the text the file starts with (the explanation of the stats) but leave at least 2* [enter] the game doesnt load giving a bit misleading error about it, saying its expecting a unit-type, just remove the [enter] and it will work again....

G
    Last edited by Red Spot; 09-27-2007 at 12:35.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast