Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), compatible with vanilla RTW v1.5

Post Re: Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), compatible with vanilla RTW v1.5

Sorry if my replies are slow today. The reason for this is my internet connection is lagging big-time, even though I'm on 2MB broadband...the joys of being on a network

I'm also putting together new faction previews, which as you know includes taking screenshots, editing and filehosting them, creating the topics etc etc, all of which is time consuming.

Those Dacian reskins and models were made by a couple of authors, Professor Spatula & webbird. The Prof's work mainly includes the darker brownish reskins of the PM units, although also featured is his AM Chosen Swordsmen & General's Bodyguards reskins. webbird's work (think this was influenced by Burebista) is mainly the AM units and models, such as the longshield Chosen Swordsmen.

The horse mount models and skins were complied by Pinarius, and there is now a wider variety of horse skins depending upon the type of horse used for the unit.

Currently developing Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla Rome: Total War v1.5

Features: improved battles, new units to recruit, more buildings to construct, a modified campaign map, and much more!
    RTG Main Topic
    , Click here to download RTG v1.0

Default Re: Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), compatible with vanilla RTW v1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Seasoned Alcoholic
    I'm also putting together new faction previews, which as you know includes taking screenshots, editing and filehosting them, creating the topics etc etc, all of which is time consuming.
    great! RTG's gonna be famous!!!!!

The Numidian Kingdom

Pre-Marius (PM) Units

Infantry

Early Auxilia

Missiles

Early Skirmishers

Cavalry

Long Shield Cavalry

Early General’s Bodyguards

After-Marius (AM) Units

Infantry

Auxilia

Legionaries

Missiles

Heavy Skirmishers

Onagers

Cavalry

Camels

Camel Archers

War Elephants

General’s Bodyguards

Units Unaffected By Reforms

Infantry

Town Militia

Desert Infantry

Missiles

Slingers

Archers

Cavalry

Numidian Cavalry

Note: the unit names used above are for simplified illustrative purposes only, and may be completely different in the next release.

Furthermore, none of the artwork featured in this preview was completed by myself. It is the featured artwork of several members of the TW community who have generously permitted me to use it in this modification.

Currently developing Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla Rome: Total War v1.5

Features: improved battles, new units to recruit, more buildings to construct, a modified campaign map, and much more!
    RTG Main Topic

The Greek Cities

Pre-Marius (PM) Units

Infantry

Early Greek Sword Hoplites

Early Militia Hoplites

Missiles

Early Peltasts

Cavalry

Early Greek Cavalry

After-Marius (AM) Units

Infantry

Spartans

Sword Hoplites

Armoured Hoplites

Missiles

Heavy Peltasts

Onagers

Ballistas

Cavalry

Heavy Cavalry

General’s Bodyguards

Infantry

Greek Officer Core

Greek Hoplites

Missiles

Cretan Archers

Archers

Cavalry

Miltia Cavalry

Note: the unit names used above are for simplified illustrative purposes only, and may be completely different in the next release.

Furthermore, none of the artwork featured in this preview was completed by myself. It is the featured artwork of several members of the TW community who have generously permitted me to use it in this modification.

RTG Main Topic

why dont you put the review in the mod discussion thread? you can follow Hegemonia City States previews as examples! btw generals are renamed right? (like Strategos Royal Bodyguard)
    Last edited by The Spartan (Returns); 07-09-2006 at 18:48.

The Marius reform works for other than the Roman factions as well? I mean, playing a non-Roman faction I don´t even get the reform message (which makes sense, actually, I bet few realized the import of the reform until it was too late and the Mulus Marius stood at their doorstep ;) )

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran
    The Marius reform works for other than the Roman factions as well? I mean, playing a non-Roman faction I don´t even get the reform message (which makes sense, actually, I bet few realized the import of the reform until it was too late and the Mulus Marius stood at their doorstep ;) )
    yeah thats why your generals get upgraded.

The Ptolemaic Dynasty

Pre-Marius (PM) Units

Infantry

Early Nubian Spearmen

Early Desert Axemen

Missiles

Early Archers

Cavalry

Early Nubian Cavalry

Early Desert Cavalry

After-Marius (AM) Units

Infantry

Pharaoh’s Guard

Desert Axemen

Missiles

Pharaoh’s Bowmen

Onagers

Cavalry

Heavy Cavalry

Desert Cavalry

Camel Archers

General’s Bodyguards

Infantry

Nile Spearmen

Missiles

Slingers

Skirmishers

RTG Main Topic

Quote Originally Posted by The Spartan
    why dont you put the review in the mod discussion thread? you can follow Hegemonia City States previews as examples! btw generals are renamed right? (like Strategos Royal Bodyguard)
    Do you mean one giant discussion topic for all the factions, or individual discussion topics per faction? Personally, I feel that multiple faction topics would be a bit of

Don't worry about the unit names, I've used those ones as placeholders. Also, not all of the latest units have been given names & descriptions yet, so I'd rather not make them up

Well I'm sure they should work for non-Roman factions. The Romans were so overly concentrated on by the developers in vanilla that the other factions were somewhat neglected. This is reflected in areas such as unit rosters, stats etc.

I'm sure you can copy and paste existing event pics / descriptions into other cultures UI folders / text files, and this should force the game to display this information when the Reforms occur.

RTG Main Topic

Do you mean one giant discussion topic for all the factions, or individual discussion topics per faction?
    why not a one giant discussion for all factions! wheres the am nubian spearman? l love the am desert axemen!

The Iberian Tribes

Pre-Marius (PM) Units

Infantry

Early Town Militia

Early Scutarii

Early Iberian Infantry

Cavalry

Early Round Shield Cavalry

Early Long Shield Cavalry

After-Marius (AM) Units

Infantry

Bull Warriors

Scutarii

Chosen Swordsmen

Heavy Infantry

Missiles

Archers

Onagers

Cavalry

Noble Cavalry

Cavalry Skirmishers

General’s Bodyguards

Infantry

Naked Fanatics

Missiles

Slingers

Skirmishers

Cavalry

Wardogs

Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; 07-15-2006 at 11:46.

RTG Main Topic

why not a one giant discussion for all factions! wheres the am nubian spearman? l love the am desert axemen!
    Thanks. I've binned the AM Nubian Spearmen to force the AI to build better quality heavy infantry rather than the light peasantry with poorer stats. Hopefully this will allow for more concentrated army stacks, and will provide greater challenges.

Did you also notice the ommitted chariots? Hopefully this should remove the AI auto-calc bonuses chariot units get on the strat map.

[EDIT:]Btw, update your sig with the new one I made a few posts back
    Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; 07-09-2006 at 21:24.

RTG Main Topic

The Romans

Pre-Marius (PM) Units

Infantry

Early Hastati

Early Princepes

Early Triarii

Missiles

Early Velites

Early Roman Archers

Cavalry

Early Equites

Early General's Bodyguards

After-Marius (AM) Units

Infantry

Auxilia

Early Legionary Cohort

Early Legionary First Cohort

Legionary Cohort

Legionary First Cohort

Praetorian Cohort

Missiles

Light Auxilia

Archer Auxilia

Repeating Ballistas

Ballistas

Scorpions

Onagers

Cavalry

Roman Cavalry

Cavalry Auxilia

General's Bodyguards

Infantry

Murmillo Gladiators

Samnite Gladiators

Velite Gladiators

Additionally, the Roman faction featured in this preview is the House Of Julii. The faction rosters are exactly the same for the House Of Brutii, The House Of Scipii and SPQR.
    Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; 07-10-2006 at 14:01. Reason: Updated Velite Gladiators screenshot, which was incorrect

RTG Main Topic

The Carthaginian Empire

Pre-Marius (PM) Units

Infantry

Early Infantry

Early Scutarii

Early Poeni Infantry

Cavalry

Early Round Shield Cavalry

Early Long Shield Cavalry

Early Elephants

After-Marius (AM) Units

Infantry

Sacred Band

Scutarii

Poeni Infantry

Missiles

Archers

Onagers

Cavalry

Heavy Cavalry

Sacred Band Cavalry

War Elephants

Armoured Elephants

General’s Bodyguards

Infantry

Town Militia

Missiles

Slingers

Skirmishers

RTG Main Topic

The Britannic Tribes

Pre-Marius (PM) Units

Infantry

Early Woad Warriors

Early Warband

Early Swordsmen

Early Chosen Swordsmen

Missiles

Slingers

Cavalry

Early Barbarian Cavalry

After-Marius (AM) Units

Infantry

Woad Warriors

Swordsmen

Warband

Heavy Infantry

Chosen Swordsmen

Missiles

Chosen Archers

Heavy Skirmishers

Onagers

Cavalry

Noble Cavalry

Imperial Cavalry

General’s Bodyguards

Infantry

Druids

Cavalry

Wardogs

RTG Main Topic

The Pontic Kingdom

Pre-Marius (PM) Units

Infantry

Early Eastern Infantry

Early Hillmen

Cavalry

Early Pontic Light Cavalry

After-Marius (AM) Units

Infantry

Sword Hoplites

Hillmen

Bronze Shields

Missiles

Onagers

Cavalry

East Heavy Cavalry

Cappadocian Cavalry

General’s Bodyguards

Infantry

Phalanx Pikemen

Missiles

Archers

Peltasts

RTG Main Topic

keep up the good work! btw how was tweaking general bodygaurds too be strong? hopefully pain less!

Haven't tweaked them yet

I'm actually thinking about reducing the number of cavalry contained in a generals bodyguard, because the size of faction leaders and heirs bodyguards is at present pretty much the same as a powerful cavalry unit.

I can always adjust stats to compensate for a reduction in bodyguard numbers though.

Btw, I've completed the vast majority of the new unit sprites. However, the total size of the sprites folder is the same as the whole of RTG Open Beta v0.2. I'll probably break the next release down into smaller downloads so that dial-up users can also download the mod.

RTG Main Topic

Btw, I've completed the vast majority of the new unit sprites. However, the total size of the sprites folder is the same as the whole of RTG Open Beta v0.2. I'll probably break the next release down into smaller downloads so that dial-up users can also download the mod.
    how would the smaller downloads be like? and just to be curios how big would the download be? (all of RTG V03)

Well RTG Open Beta v0.2 was around 85MB, so that gives you some idea how much space the new sprites take up by themselves All the ones that have been made so far have been converted to DDS format, which reduces the total filesize considerably.

As for the total filesize, well that's anyone's guess New units and all their related bits and pieces tend to eat-up filesize a lot. I'm not sure about the version number either, because of the depth of the changes that have been made over v0.2. Its hard to quantify how close the mod is to a 'complete' mod

More good news: I'm currently binning all the chariots from the game. This will free-up model entries in DMB, but should also prevent the auto-calc bias the AI receives when using chariots on the campaign map.

RTG Main Topic

perhaps i can still download RTGV3. if its at the most 170 mb.

Awesome. I still do wonder, can the Marius Reform affect other than Roman factions? I mean, have you actually tested that? Because as far as I know, until 1.3 it was the Marius reform that triggered the switch of the early to the late bodyguards for all factions, but I think in 1.3 and 1.5 the first Imperial Palace built by the respective faction triggers that. Though I wonder how the Barbarian factions level up in that case...

perhaps i can still download RTGV3. if its at the most 170 mb.
    Areas such as sprites can always be seperated from the main download. Perhaps if several smaller downloads were made available, and installed seperately (some could be copy and paste, especially if its just one folder per download), this would make it easier for those with slower connections. Although it would mean more downloads, at least there would not be one large, and perhaps unreliable (depending upon filehoster) download.

Awesome. I still do wonder, can the Marius Reform affect other than Roman factions? I mean, have you actually tested that? Because as far as I know, until 1.3 it was the Marius reform that triggered the switch of the early to the late bodyguards for all factions, but I think in 1.3 and 1.5 the first Imperial Palace built by the respective faction triggers that. Though I wonder how the Barbarian factions level up in that case...
    No, I haven't yet tested the transition of Marian Reforms on other factions, so there is an element of risk involved. If I'd had the time to play through a campaign until the first imperial palace was constructed, I would've done so, but I've been busy with other areas.

I don't believe the Marian Reforms only affects the Romans though. If you look at how things are coded in EDB, you can see that the bodyguard upgrade triggers are coded into specific core buildings, dependent upon culture type.

Also, the vanilla Roman unit entries use and not marian_reforms (Pre-Marius units), as well as and marian_reforms (After-Marian units). As mentioned in a previous post, I think the reason other cultures (non-Roman) don't receive notification of the Marian Reforms event is because they don't have the eventpics in their UI folders. I've since added these for the other cultures, so hopefully this should display the message once it occurs.

I know that the Marian Reforms are triggered to occur once the first imperial palace is built in a region that contains the Italy hidden resource. I'm tempted to take a shortcut to see if the reforms work properly. I may have a look into this shortcut using a variety of different factions, even though my EDB unit lists are still incomplete

RTG Main Topic

why dont you try making reforms at a certain date? imo reforms are too early and i dont get to use Triarii.

Right, I've just used the shortcut method to force the Marius Reforms event (playing as the Julii), basically by constructing an imperial palace. When the palace was completed, the Marius Reforms event occurred. The faction rosters for the Julii were updated, as usual. Now for the twist.

After using a combination of ER's Beginners Guide to Scripting, Myrddraal's More than 2 turns per year topic, and player1's faction switcher script, I managed to switch between factions to see if other faction rosters had been updated. Sure enough, the faction's I checked had updated correctly, so that's great news

I'd like to thank Ciaran for getting me to think about testing this area out, as well as advising on the possibilities of the faction switch ability, and details of the Marian Reforms. Also thanks to ER, Myrddraal & player1 for enabling me to test out if the Marian Reforms had updated other faction rosters.

why dont you try making reforms at a certain date? imo reforms are too early and i dont get to use Triarii.
    Hmm, I could just make Town Watch recruitable for the Roman factions after the Marian Reforms have occurred. This way, they could recruit Hastati @ Barracks, Princepes @ Militia Barracks and Triarii @ City Barracks. This may make the Romans overpowered though, unless the Triarii were made available from the City Barracks at the same time as Principes.

Which recruitment method do you think would work best?

RTG Main Topic

The Armenian Kingdom

Pre-Marius (PM) Units

Infantry

Early Hillmen

Early Heavy Spearmen

Cavalry

Early Horse Archers

After-Marius (AM) Units

Infantry

Legionaries

Hillmen

Heavy Spearmen

Missiles

Onagers

Cavalry

East Heavy Cavalry

Cataphracts

Cataphract Archers

General’s Bodyguards

Infantry

Eastern Infantry

Missiles

Archers

Peltasts

Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; 07-14-2006 at 18:30.

RTG Main Topic

Hmm, I could just make Town Watch recruitable for the Roman factions after the Marian Reforms have occurred. This way, they could recruit Hastati @ Barracks, Princepes @ Militia Barracks and Triarii @ City Barracks. This may make the Romans overpowered though, unless the Triarii were made available from the City Barracks at the same time as Principes.

Which recruitment method do you think would work best?
    i think thats good! actually in many mods triarri can be recruited earlier in dosent make the romans any stronger. (actually its the games harder because everone has two hitpoints. a unit of a millitia hoplite and two peasents beat my two millitia hoplites)

btw very good your learning to script!!! perhaps one day your scripting will be great, and rtg can have historical battles in campaign and have supplies! (like EB and RTR)

I haven't done much research (apart from the faction switch script) into scripting tbh. It does take time to learn new areas, and if I stop working on the mod to learn more areas, it'll just put the release date further and further back. Fair enough if there was a team working on a project, such as in EB / RTR as you say, then each team member could specialise and concentrate on specific areas.

RTG Main Topic

The Thracian Tribes

Pre-Marius (PM) Units

Infantry

Early Thracians

Early Hoplite Militia

Early Falxmen

Cavalry

Early Greek Cavalry

After-Marius (AM) Units

Infantry

Sword Hoplites

Falxmen

Bastarnae

Missiles

Ballistas

Onagers

Cavalry

Noble Cavalry

Imperial Cavalry

General’s Bodyguards

Infantry

Thracian Officer Core

Phalanx Pikemen

Missiles

Peltasts

Cretan Archers

Archers

Cavalry

Militia Cavalry

RTG Main Topic

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast