Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), compatible with vanilla RTW v1.5

Default Re: Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), compatible with vanilla RTW v1.5

Good stuff. Your 'raiders' have a problem with their arms, whoever made the model forgot to remove the sleeves. BTW in all these screenshots of the map, are you just changing fertility and such? I see a few new cities but most of them are pre-existing.
    Hegemonia Lead Modeller.

Post Re: Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), compatible with vanilla RTW v1.5

Yeah, there are a couple of issues with the raiders model. This is because they use the warguard model, which is the one used for chosen swordsmen. I'd spent quite some time testing the raiders texture out on most of the existing models, but the warguard was the only one which the texture seemed to accept without becoming corrupt.

Just done a region count in descr_regions, so far 26 new regions have been added, the other ones displayed have either been renamed or relocated on the campaign map. Thanks

Currently developing Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla Rome: Total War v1.5

Features: improved battles, new units to recruit, more buildings to construct, a modified campaign map, and much more!
    RTG Main Topic
    , Click here to download RTG v1.0

Added 2 regions to the southern tip of Sweden, my thanks to PseRamesses for the historical info!

Currently developing Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), an unofficial mod for vanilla Rome: Total War v1.5

Features: improved battles, new units to recruit, more buildings to construct, a modified campaign map, and much more!
    RTG Main Topic

Reconstructed Pannonia, Illyria and Dalmatia (resources will be relocated at a later date ):

RTG Main Topic

Reconstructed Mainland Greece (resources will be moved at a later date ):

RTG Main Topic

Added 2 regions for Moesia, tweaked Thrace / Paionia as a result:

RTG Main Topic

Reconstructed Pontus and Cappadocia:

RTG Main Topic

Reconstructed Parthia, Atropatene & Armenia:

RTG Main Topic

Reconstructed Dacia:

RTG Main Topic

Reconstructed Crete:

RTG Main Topic

Renamed and relocated German settlements & regions:

RTG Main Topic

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Looks nice so far.

Say, do you have any plans for a new faction or replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Reenk Roink
    Looks nice so far.

Say, do you have any plans for a new faction or replacement?
    To date I've renamed Spain to Iberia, and am thinking about renaming Egypt to the Ptolemaic Dynasty. I suppose the Roman factions could be renamed, the mods always open to suggestions

RTG Main Topic

I have two suggestions then:

(1) Less Provinces: I see on the campaign map that you have added some more provinces. I would advise against this unless it is necessary for historical accuracy, as more provinces means more meaningless battles and a repetitive game. Think RTW vs BI. Now in some areas of the map (Italy and the upper Balkans) it would be good to have more provinces, as these areas were historically difficult to control, and one battle wasn't enough to secure domination, but my suggestion would be not to split up places like Crete...

(2) This is more of a personal suggestion, but I would like to see a mod that begins 15-20 years before the vanilla start date. The reason for this is that there would be a more interesting situation at this time period with the diadochi. You could revamp Thrace into a hellenistic faction under Lysachimos, and include Epirus as a new faction. If you choose this road (I'm keeping my fingers crossed) I could be of help with the historical situation, and although my modding skills are elementary at best (I've only messed around with simple things like descr_strat, export_descr_unit, descr_names, etc...) I would try to help with some file editing and writing some descriptions.

Thanks for reading my suggestions .

(1) I see your point about less cities, therefore less battles, quicker campaign, keeps the interest etc. However, IMO the campaign map was 'empty' before the changes were made. You would see countless large provinces, with the next nearest settlement many tiles (and therefore turns) away.

Hopefully with more, closely-located provinces, the battles will be more crucial although perhaps more frequent. However, I've modded faction's core attitudes in diplomacy, so you should find that your rivals will be more willing to work with you.

From the latest screenshots of the map, you can see I've left many vanilla provinces unchanged, so some areas of the map will play as they always have.

(2) These ideas sound interesting. There's a hardcoded limit on the number factions - this is 21 in total, and these are all used at present. The problem with creating new factions is that you usually have to change many areas, such as faction banners, battle standards, units (models, textures, sprites, stats), test the results and so on. I'm a one-man team at present, and my hands are tied in other areas - currently relocating / adding resources to the campaign map.

However, if you think you'll be able to construct new units (you need the correct software for this, such as 3DS MAX, Photoshop, Paintshop Pro etc), design new banners, write historical unit descriptions, code the unit stats etc let me know!

RTG Main Topic

(1) Well, you have a point there too... I think it was a good idea splitting up Illyria and such, but areas such as the Seleucid territory are a bit to divided IMO...

(2) I know of the hardcode, and I know that it would be too much of a pain to have only one Roman faction and get rid of the senate system etc... So what I'm proposing is that if you were to start the mod a couple decades back, you could simply convert Thrace into Lysimachus's kingdom (Thrace has phalanx units anyway) and maybe change The Greek Cities into Epirus, leaving Sparta, Syracuse, Thermon, etc as strong rebel city states. I would be very willing to help you in this, especially with information and descriptions, though I could also try and lend a hand in text editing...

I do have Photoshop CS2, and have always been willing to learn how to skin, just never got around to it ... Gonna check some of the tutorials here at the ORG...

Thanks

Reenk

Thumbs up Re: Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG), compatible with vanilla RTW v1.5

great! espically new things for barbarians new units its all good! q. will the movies in historical battle still be there?

Yeah, all the movies / intros to the Historical Battles are still there. You'll also see some of the new / alternate skinned units in these intros as well, as well as the officer(s) / standard bearers leading each unit of men into battle. I'd post some screens, but for some reason you can't capture screenshots whilst the intro movies are playing

RTG Main Topic

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Use Fraps chap.

www.fraps.com

Take as many screenshots as you like, when you like, and fill up your hard drive with them. I currently have about 8 gigs of screenshots and movies created with that program.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

Thanks for the link PS, I'll check this site out. I'm running low on HD space myself, think my RTW .TGA folder is a few gigs which is probably to blame

RTG Main Topic

Beta Test Report: Prologue / Sons Of Mars

Factions Involved

* House Of Julii
    * House Of Brutii
    * SPQR
    * Gauls
    * Greek Cities
    * Thrace
    * Rebels

Victory Conditions (all factions)

* Domination: Hold 10 regions including Latium

Difficulty Settings

* Campaign Map difficulty: Very Hard
    * Battlefield difficulty: Medium

Battlefield Timer Status

* No Time Limit

Unit Scaling

* Normal (Prologue default)

Comments

* Prologue scripts still work correctly, IE the campaign & battlefield advice from advisors
    * Opening scripted battle (Julii & SPQR vs Gauls) still works correctly, although some default timings / cut scenes are slightly out
    * Senate will issue various missions after you are instructed to take Tarentum
    * Brutii (originally the Scipii) land their armies in Dalmatia, Illyria etc and war with the Greek Cities & Thrace
    * Greeks reinforce their settlements on mainland Italy, usually around Tarentum / Croton
    * Auto-generated Roman family members appear occasionally around Rome for SPQR
    * SPQR will move to intercept Rebels in both their own and neighbouring provinces
    * SPQR will support allies in times of need, EG:
    (1) SPQR supported Julii when under siege from Gauls @ Tarqunii
    (2) SPQR supported Julii when under siege from Greeks @ Bovianum
    * Julii gained most public support first and took Rome (eventually - lost a few BIG armies, needed more than one attempt due to strength of garrison @ Rome and support from Brutii)
    * From the starting factions SPQR, Gauls, Greek Cities & Thrace were destroyed. The civil war happened between the Julii & Brutii
    * Gauls made repeated incursions from Northern Italy, with some fairly powerful armies - there main target was Tarquinii on each occasion
    * Greeks also fielded some decent armies, although were eventually driven from mainland Italy
    * Thrace never really got going because: (a) they start with a single province, (b) their sole settlement is the first target of the invading Brutii / Greeks
    * Most battles were interesting, I lost several powerful armies during both field battles and siege assaults. My armies consisted primarily of Hastati, Principes, Triarii, Equites & Roman Generals / Family Members, with some missile support
    * Victory conditions worked correctly. After taking 10 regions and holding Latium, the victory message appeared (see screenshot, below), but there was no option present to continue play.

NB: these test results were encountered whilst playing the Julii on VH / M difficulties. These results may well be different on other difficulty settings.

Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; 02-17-2006 at 18:47.

RTG Main Topic

Renamed Factions

Spain have been renamed to Iberia. Character names have remained the same.

Egypt have been renamed to The Ptolemaic Dynasty. Character names are now primarily Greek. Before, a combination of Egyptian first names were used with Greek surnames, which looked out of place. The name changes reflect Greek rulers on the Egyptian throne. The changes also apply to agents and admirals.

Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; 02-21-2006 at 12:15.

RTG Main Topic

Latest unit screenshots...

Numidian Camel Archers

Briton General's Bodyguard Early

Briton General's Bodyguard

Ptolemaic Armoured Bodyguard

Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; 03-01-2006 at 11:47.

RTG Main Topic

40 new regions have been added to the imperial campaign map, which are listed below. The names are in pairs: the ones on the left are the region names, and the ones on the right are the settlement names. Note that some factions’ original settlements have been given to the rebels. For more details, please refer to the latest version of the campaign map.

Rebels / Slaves
    * Pamphylia Et Pisidia / Side
    * Istria / Pola
    * Northern Sardinia / Olbia
    * Gallia Lugdunensis Secunda / Lutetia
    * Raetia / Veldidena
    * Tribus Helvetii / Aventicum
    * Corsica / Aleria
    * Tripolitania Prima / Oea
    * Lydia / Sardis
    * Caria / Halicarnassus
    * Paphlagonia / Sinope
    * Tribus Iceni / Venta Icenorum
    * Tribus Cornovii / Deva Victrix
    * Regnum Brigantes / Eboracum
    * Damnii Valentia / Coria
    * Mauretania / Cartenna
    * Assyria Prima / Nineveh
    * Sumer Et Akkad / Seleucia
    * Arabia Petraea Secunda / Medeia
    * Arabia Secunda / Dumah
    * Scaneg / Scaneg
    * Blecingaeg / Blecingaeg
    * Dalmatia Prima / Scodra
    * Lower Pannonia / Sirmium
    * Northern Epirus / Dyrrhachium
    * Boeotia Et Phocis / Thebes
    * Illyria Prima / Vindonissa
    * Moesia Prima / Sardica
    * Moesia Secunda / Noviodunum
    * Pontus Secunda / Trapezus
    * Cappadocia Secunda / Melitene
    * Astyages / Ecbatana
    * Atropatene Prima / Gazaca
    * Armenia Secunda / Thospia
    * Crete Prima / Knossos
    * Cyprus Prima / Paphos

Numidia
    * Numidia Secunda / Lambaesis

Greek Cities
    * Mysia / Pergamum

Dacia
    * Dacia Prima / Sarmizegetusa

Seleucids
    * Upper Mesopotamia / Thapsacus

RTG Main Topic

How soon will this MOD be completed? Looks interesting. This might make v1.5 patch worth loading. Only using 1.2 now.
    WarHawk1953

Quote Originally Posted by WarHawk1953
    How soon will this MOD be completed? Looks interesting. This might make v1.5 patch worth loading. Only using 1.2 now.
    Very soon I hope, there are a few more unit & unit info cards to be completed, and then that should be about that. I'm thinking of releasing the mod as an open beta because I don't really have the time to beta test the imperial campaign (after campaign map changes) in great depth.

There are still some issues in the mod, basically because these are the issues in v1.5 of RTW, so things like the siege tower bug against large stone walls will exist.

RTG Main Topic

Code:
     ----------------------
    #ROME: TOTAL GAMEPLAY#
    ----------------------

SHORT GUIDE TO RTG
    Written By Seasoned Alcoholic

--------------------
    --------------------

Rome: Total Gameplay (RTG) is a mod that attempts to improve several aspects of the original Rome: Total War (RTW).  These include:-

* Gameplay balancing, in particular to the AI.

* Improved battles versus the AI that will now last greater periods of time, require more utilisation of tactics and skill.

* Over 40 new, unlocked and replaced units to recruit.

* Various factions and cultures can now construct more buildings, in particular Barbarian factions.

* A modified campaign map, including 40 new regions. Many exisiting regions have been relocated to roughly their historical locations, and some have been renamed.

* Historical Battles now include the new / unlocked / replaced units accompanying this modification.

* Some relevant bug-fixes.

* Other general improvements.

There are many more adjustments, changes, fixes etc of various sizes that have been implemented in RTG.  For more details, please refer to the README text file.

----------

What to expect in RTG:-

* The gameplay has certainly changed from the vanilla (or unmodified) versions of RTW, you may need to spend time getting used to this feature.  I would suggest using Custom Battles to practice before jumping straight into a new imperial campaign.  Alternatively, try the Historical Battles, or Prologue (Sons Of Mars) provincial campaign.

* Battles will now last for longer periods of time, and you should expect to face more aggressive AI armies.  You may find that you spend more time engaged in battles than before, so remember to stay alert and watch the AI's manouveres closely.

* Even if you preferred to auto-calculate battles in RTW, I would urge you to take a look at the gameplay in RTG, as this is the main focus of the mod.  Auto-calc battles are useful when you have to fight many battles per turn, or when you have superior numbers to the AI.

* Many RTW gamers have complained about the inflexibility of phalanx-capable units.  With your phalanxes selected, try turning guard mode off.  You should now see your phalanxes shuffle forwards, backwards and from side-to-side to counter enemy attacks.

* Test results have shown that the player will now lose more units in combat than before, due to the extended length of melee.  In some RTW battles, players would be able to gain victory after victory without losing many men.

* Your units will fight less effectively when they are exhausted, you may need to move your troops out of melee and let them recover their stamina for a while.  Always keep fresh troops in reserve.

* You may experience more financially difficult situations than in RTW, such as near the start of a new campaign for example.  This makes you think more carefully about how you spend your precious denarii, be it to train new units, construct superior buildings, retrain existing units, recruit agents and so on.  Try increasing the tax rate early on if you are struggling for denarii.

* The AI should be more willing to cooperate with you in diplomatic negotiations.  Previously in RTW, default diplomatic stances towards other factions were usually hostile.  These have been changed in RTG to roughly neutral for most factions.

* Two of the default factions have been renamed.  Spain has been changed to Iberia, whilst Egypt has changed to The Ptolemaic Dynasty.

* As in RTW, pirate vessels are common in RTG.  This is in order to make naval battles more challenging.  It is usually harder at the start of a new campaign to defeat the pirate ships, remember to move your own navies to a nearby port before the turn ends.  However, as you progress though the campaign, you should gradually gain the upper hand over the pirates with your superior naval forces.

* Likewise, aggressive brigand / rebel armies are numerous at the start of a new campaign, again to make battles more challenging.  They should however become less of a threat as take control of more and more provinces.

* The imperial campaign map has undergone lengthy modification.  Take some time to learn where new settlements, regions and trade resources are located.  Also familiarise yourself with the new region names, as these play an important part in faction specific victory conditions.

* New victory conditions have been created for each playable faction, make sure you know which settlements you must take and hold before undertaking lengthy and costly military campaigns.  Also, as a further challenge, you will now not be able to see how much time remains for you to complete your victory conditions (HINT: imperial campaign ends in Summer 50 AD at present).

* Be aware that certain units can now only be trained and recruited in specific locations on the campaign map.  You will no longer be able to retrain unit casualties in certain regions, bear this in mind before launching your campaigns.  Use the building browser scroll to view which units are available to recruit in each region.

* Mercenary recruitment pools are now more varied than before.  This should allow you to add more flexibility to your armies when it is most needed.  Also, mercenary regeneration times are now shorter than in RTW.  Watch out though, the AI-controlled factions (including rebels) will hire mercenaries frequently and use them against you!

* Certain infantry units (usually carrying spears) have their original mount bonus against mounted units.  This will vary depending on the quality of the unit.

* Cavalry, Camels, Elephants and Chariots are still at a disadvantage when fighting against spear / phalanx units, so remember to keep them well away.  Try repeated attacks to the rear of phalanx units, but don't let your mounted units become bogged-down by enemy spear infantry as they will be easy targets.

* Chariot generals were available for the Britons and Egypt in RTW.  In RTG, these units have been replaced with general's cavalry bodyguards before and after the Marius Reforms event.

* Your generals (IE family members), agents and admirals should now gain a wider variety of ancillary / retinue members depending upon a number of factors.

RTG Main Topic

SigniferOne's Animations Pack

SigniferOne has very kindly allowed me to use his fantastic Animation Pack in the RTG mod. I would like to give special thanks to him for generously contributing to the improvement of the RTG modification

Previously, I had only ever experienced vanilla animations that CA had built. Now, however, I am truly amazed by the great work done by SigniferOne in his animations mod because all of the included unit animations have completely changed the way melee and distance combat is undertaken. It really does add a completely new dimension to combat, and provides greater depth to the battlefield. You are drawn in by the mouth-watering combat as your units slug it out in a more historically realistic manner than previously experienced in vanilla RTW.

If you have not looked into SigniferOne's animation mod yet, I seriously recommend that you do to revolutionise your battlefield experiences. More info available here:

SigniferOne's Animations Pack
    Last edited by Seasoned Alcoholic; 03-09-2006 at 20:30.

RTG Main Topic

Assistant Mod Mod Member GiantMonkeyMan's Avatar
    plymouth - scrubbing Beirut's toilet with a cat...

can you show us your map_regions.tga please... i am very interested to know where you are putting your new regions... thanks!

GMM

Here you go mate:

There's a shortcut in the main first post as well

RTG Main Topic

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast